“Awesome visit to the past”
Review of Chichen Itza

Chichen Itza
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 28, 2017

When I walked up to it, having only seen it in pictures, my mouth dropped. It is huge and a stunning piece of ancient architecture. When I went you were able to climb to the top. They had ropes that you could hold on to as the steps are steep. From the top it felt like I could see forever. Coming back down was a slow affair, holding on to the ropes the entire way. The whole area is an amazing collection of ancient buildings that are fascinating to see. You learn a lot about how they lived from these buildings. It is a wonderous visit to the past where the outside world no longer exists. Will definitely go back again.

Date of experience: October 2016
3  Thank LCTaub2016
Write a ReviewReviews (23,036)
All reviews
in 147 reviews
"amazing site"
in 139 reviews

Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

Seriously, any time after 10am begins getting packed. I left from Cancun at 7am, arrived 9.30am and there were already 4 bus loads of people and some private cars. By 11.30am the queue had quadrupled. There were just hundreds of people everywhere. I'm really glad I got there early because it's incredible to take photos of the ruins with noone standing in front of them. So worth it IF you are early.

1  Thank phoenix_rei
Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

I was very very impressed pictures cannot describe how amazing it was. There was stuffs to buy things on which I got a good few bargains. I do recommend bribing an umbrella to help protect against the sun as it is very open and gets very very hot.

Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

This was an awesome excursion. ZERO COMPLAINTS. Amazing. We used Liberty travel/Olympus Travel to book this. Awesome AC new bus picked up sharp at 8:20am. The Tour guide Norma was great. Very educational and informative. Nice history lesson and background on ruins BEFORE we got there. Ride was long, 2 hrs from our resort (stayed at Grand Serenis). Light breakfast of juice, Mexican pastry and fruit was fresh. Weather was Very hot. 93 with 75% humidity. Bring hat, sunscreen and bug spray. Stayed at ruins and toured for 2 hrs. Did have some time to explore on our own. Stopped for souvenirs and buffet lunch (BEST FOOD BY FAR ON WHOLE TRIP). Stopped at Cenote in Chichen-Itza. Very crazy and crowded. Sink hole was smelly (musty and fishy). Very slippery. Wear water shoes. Ride home was nice. AC cranking. Watched a movie (Book of Life). Overall made the vacation.