Book In Advance

from $70.00
from $64.50
from $110.00
9,660 results
All reviews tour guide seven wonders an umbrella playa del carmen mayan culture ball court toll road buy souvenirs main pyramid bucket list vendors selling lots of water long trip rented a car bring water hour drive amazing site
Reviewed yesterday

Raphel with All TourNative was our guide and he was simply amazing. He knew so much and was so passionate about Chichen Itza and Maya culture. It was incredible to see the structure in real life. He showed us a trick with clapping that was super cool, and gave us alternative theories to what the game field could have been used for.
It was the off season, so there wasn't tons of people, we really got to spend some quality time looking and exploring the grounds. It was a completely wonderful experience.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

I have waited a long time to visit this site and the anticipation was killing me to arrive. The history and the stories this site holds is breath taking. The one draw back is how “commercialized” it has become. There are many (many!) pushy vendors at the site that sort of takes away from the experience. I surely didn’t let it ruin my time, but for some I could see this as a turn off.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

For me and my boyfriend this was a fantastic experience... Yes the bus ride was super long (3 hours from Playa de Carmen), and it was a very early start for us (5:10am). But setting off early really paid off as we the had this amazing archaeology site pretty much all to ourselves for an hour! Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and theatrical (which of course helps), but the ruins of this fansinating culture really do speak for themselves and where the highlight of this excursion... Well preserved, awe inspiring and illuminating the quality of this site is essential to understanding Mayan culture and discovering the real Mexico! The old part of the city was personally my favorite part of the tour, and more specifically the observatory but the whole place is a must see!

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Honestly, I was not quite impressed with chitchen itza. Its big and the architecture is certainly amazing. If you are a history buff, it's worth a visit. But the grounds are littered with vendors which is distracting. In addition, the space just doesn't feel like a Mayan ruin to me. We also went to Coba which is amazing. Set right in the jungle (saw some spider monkeys on the trees!), I could feel the ancient community, if I closed my eyes and listened. It's worth a visit. It took around one hour from Cancun to get to Coba, chitchen was more like 2.5h.
On a side note, we had a wonderful driver who set up several excursions for us. We preferred a private tour as we wanted to be flexible and stop wherever we wanted. I highly recommend: Ricardo (
+52 1 998 189 0155). On the last day, he brought his wife and five year old for lunch with us. Amazing to actually get to know a Mexican family.

Reviewed 2 days ago

My wife & I went with a tour company called Living Dreams Mexico. Booked through the hotel, Sanara Tulum (fabulous hotel!, right on the beach!!).
Claudia Quinones was our guide-cum-driver. She picked us up in her well maintained SUV. It was a little over 2 hr drive to Chichen Itza. We stopped at a local (not touristy) place for breakfast. We were the only tourists there!
Chichen Itza is truly a magnificent complex that gave us an insight into the Mayan civilization that was very advanced for its time (Classic period from 250-900 A.D.). They even had an observatory structure there (obviously no telescopes, but they used it to track the movement of stars and planets). Stopped off at a charming colonial town called Valladolid on our way back for lunch.
Claudia was an outstanding guide - knowledgeable, professional and just fun to be with.
Highly recommend the tour company and the guide, Claudia !!

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Enjoyed the tour as the guide made it very interesting. But what most people don't know before they go there is, that there is a bazillion vendors lining the whole perimeter of the park
They are constantly acosting you to buy their merchandise and making loud startling jaguar noises. It really takes away the uniqueness of the park. So for that reason I would barely give it 3 out of 5 stars. Would I go back. No.

Reviewed 3 days ago

This place is completely magic, since the first time you see the pyramids you just say wow, because it’s really beautiful to see this magnificent building that were made time ago by an ancient Mexican culture that was one of the best making this kind of things. Also all the experience here was special and so satisfactory to see this ancient pyramids. Also the pictures are impressive.

Reviewed 3 days ago

We booked a tour to Chichen Itza (+ Valladolid and Ik Kil) literally the day before through an online booking agency called Olmar Travel Mexico. (We learned of them here on TripAdvisor) and after booking, I received a text from an Olmar Agent named, Maria. She made me aware that Olmar Travel does not go into Riviera Maya/Playa del Carmen resort area on Saturdays. So we had to rebook for Sunday. The tour for 2 people cost exactly $158. This included round-trip transportation to and from your hotel lobby, 30-40 minutes spent in the charming town of Valladolid (1st Stop), admission to Chichen Itza for 2-2.5hrs (2nd stop) (no extra $ for entrance with selfie-stick it is all included in your admission. Just no backpacks allowed) also, bring a hat. the sun WILL be that brutal; then there is a stop at a Mayan market where they sell artisanry. We learned on the tour that this is how the Mayan people make their money so it would be great to support them BUT it is expensive. Like, $23-28 for an obsidian bead bracelet that you can find when you go to the Chichen Itza for $3USD. *just a fyi* Later, in that same area there is a buffet-type of meal prepared by the local Mayan women of the pueblo (there is a variety of meats; not just pork. really delicious) and admission to Ik Kil (last stop) for about an hour. Lockers at the cenote Ik Kil were $3USD each. The life vest rentals were $3USD each as well.

Below I will attach photos of the bus that picked us up. Olmar Travel is a travel agency that oversees several tour company's so the tour company that picked us up was Ekinox Tours not "Olmar" WITH a bright blue bus with the name Del Valle (photo below). This was our first time doing something like this so we were SUPER skeptical but it was 1000% legit. Our tour guides Marco + Rafael were informative, fun, and exceptionally bilingual. It is important to note that it is safe to leave your backpacks on the bus as you go to all these different places if you wish because they do lock it. Um, carry singles ($1USDs) if you can, just to tip. There were small jars at the buffet where you can give $1 or $2 for the women that prepared the meals.. and/or you can tip the driver of your bus and/or the guides at the end of your day. Just keep that in mind.

The tour is 10hours total. We left at 7:40am and arrived at our hotel lobby a little after 8pm. So you will be away from your hotel for the entire day. And just know that the itinerary is incorrect on their site. How I laid it out is how it goes down lol. Which after all the sun you experience, works out perfectly. I would recommend this tour to anyone of any age. You learn so much and actually have fun. Super reliable.

Ladies, at the end of the cenote HAVE DRY COTTON undergarments/shorts with you. It is not ideal to wear a damp bathing suit for hours on your back to your hotel. Just sayin'. There are bathrooms to freshen up.

PS- the bus is air-conditioned. it also says it has wifi but our guides didn't have the password.

Reviewed 4 days ago

This is a truly amazing experience , we took a plane from Cozumel to Chichen Itza , it took 30 mins plus a ten minute bus ride from the airport to the site .

It is possible to walk around the site very quickly but you will get better understanding if you book a guide , they are very knowledgeable and speak excellent English .
It is no longer possible to climb the temple but the experience is still very special , look out for the rings set in the side of the walls of the nearby stadium and the carvings on the walls . Also look for the skulls and don't forget to clap in front of the temple !

The way is lined by stalls so you can select from many souvenir stalls , there are also restroom facilities .

1  Thank John M
Reviewed 4 days ago

Recently visited Cancun and this was one of our day trips. It's a long day if you do the bus tour, about 12-13 hours but if your game, do it! My 80 year old father wanted to do this and it is a lot of walking but unbelievably genius when you hear about how the Mayans calculated the building of these structures. Wear sneakers or comfortable walking shoes, bring sunscreen because it's hot there and lots of water. You can purchase food, snacks and drinks there as well. Oh, and don't forget your camera!