“Unenjoyable - too many street vendors!” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
Chichen Itza Day Trip from Cancun
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Ogden, Utah, United States
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Unenjoyable - too many street vendors!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Of all our excursions this one was by far the worst! The bus ride was LOOOOONG and boring; our tour guide spoke in a monotone the entire time and he was difficult to hear. It was excruciatingly hot (ok - I can deal with that). The tour was "ok" but I was really bugged by the small children pestering us during the tour to buy their wares. After the tour, you are given free time to explore the ruins at your leisure. I didn't really get to enjoy exploring because I was too busy outrunning or hiding from the vendors that hunt you down to sell you their wares. I realize they are trying to make a buck but I think there should be a specific area and they shouldn't be allowed to pester you during the tour or hunt you down on the grounds.

Visited September 2011

• Turkish first
Buffalo, New York
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Drive yourself and arrive early”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

We had rented a car during our stay in Mexico because we read reviews that said it's the best way to see Chichen Itza. It certainly was! We had no problem with the cops so I'm not sure what some of the fuss I've read about driving in Mexico is about. Just watch out for all the speed bumps! We left from our resort located between Tulum and Playa del Carmen early in the morning (around 6am). We arrived at Chichen Itza a little past 8am. We tried to get a discount from the tour guides but had no luck, so we walked in the entrance like the directions state in a few of the reviews but none of them followed us in. After going through the entrance we figured we might as well pay the price because we had no clue what we would be looking at. We went back out and got a guide. Our guide charged us 500 pesos, which is 100 less than the sign states for an English tour. Our guide was excellent and spoke English well; he made up the 100 pesos in tip. You can't climb on the ruins here but our guide suggested going to Ek' Balam instead of Cobo where we were initially going to go (check for my review of Ek' Balam). If you drive yourself, you must come here early! By the time we left at around 11am the place was getting crowded from all the tour buses! It was also getting very hot! The more time that went by the more vendors had their goods set up for sale. The tour guide is worth it to learn about these amazing ruins! Watch out for the guys selling cold drinks on the side farthest away from the entrance, ask the price before buying! None of the drinks had a price. We picked out two drinks and then asked how much, I think they just said an amount that they thought we would pay! 50 pesos!

3 Thank monkeysaurusrex
Brussels, Belgium
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Worth your time if planned right”

Before I go into details couple of major info as of Aug 7 2012:

1. The Light and Sound spectacle was cancelled a few days ago and will probably not resume this season. Too bad, since it was the main reason to book a hotel here...

2. The ruins close down at 5 pm, with some areas open for entrance only till 4:30 pm.

The above were not listed in any sites or guides we consulted prior to coming here. We turned out lucky enough to see most of it, and it is really impressive, particularly when you put it in a historical context. It is also refreshing to experience attraction of this kind that is not in, or even close to any city, but surrounded by jungle.
True, peddlers are somewhat abundant, but hey, they try to make a living here, and quite frankly are almost imperceptible when compared to, how should I put it, numbers of places in the world...
We were able to conclude our visit in less than 2 hours, but haven't seen some parts of it, which would normally add about half an hour. Probably worth taking a guide. Despite late hour a lot of people, which is a fact of life, but makes it a tad difficult to get a good photo and more importantly to experience the place in a more peaceful way.
Anyhow; if you happen to be in Yucatan I suppose it would be a shame not to give it a go. We rented a car, drove from Playa del Carmen, saw some nice things we wanted to see along the way, enjoyed our freedom and company, and paid significantly less than any organized trip.

2 Thank wiedzmin
Baltimore, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“You do not want to leave Mexico without seeing this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I loved my visit here. The ruins are surreal and my tour (booked through my resort) had a very informative guide. There are many opportunities for souvenir shopping, if that's your thing, and photo opts. The grounds have been kept in exceptional condition and the locals are very willing to haggle.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Casey C
Verona, NJ
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Amazing ruins, not maintained to World Heritage standards.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

One of our main inspirations for a trip to the Riviera was a visit to Chichen Itza. We endured a long ride (2.5 hours) early in the morning to arrive here with great expectations. The ruins were well maintained compared to other sites we visited, and the main pyramid was as impressive as I expected. However, the peddlers following and begging the tourists' attention was a great disappointment, taking from the majestic atmosphere Chichen Itza has the potential for. That, coupled with lack of informative plaques/maps/descriptions in front of each ruin made the experience more disappointing than we had anticipated. This all could be easily remedied (remove peddlers, mark and describe locations) and I hope that the Mexican government attends to this. Otherwise, it was worth a visit - especially in 2012! Set aside about 2-hours to view all of the sites and bring sunscreen - there is limited shade.

1 Thank miss_amandatory