“Don't stay here!!”

Ranked #49 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Strathmore, Canada
“Don't stay here!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

They upgraded our room but not including the resturants-had to walk around to the other hotel for food,that we had paid for. If you wanted to eat at the upgraded resturants, you had to pay $30.0
There was no communication between the patron and the hôtel staff as they coule not speak ENGLISH or did not want to. There was no lights between the 2 hôtels. One coule fall quote easy.
Armando talked to us because He Heard us talking about the condition of the establishment and not seeming to care of we were handicapés or not. Armando told us That He spoke with his boss and That his boss would,come and talk with,us and mâle things ok.but There was no communication between us and him at all. When questioned about it Armando answered,That it wasnt his faut That the fellow didnt want to talk to us. Excuses,all,the time!!!

There jk

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Marcia G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I purchased my stay through Groupon, so I think it was a great deal for what I paid. To sum up the following - we had a lot of logistical nightmares before the trip and with check in/our first day in the hotel, and we were afraid the problems were going to persist throughout the trip, but once we were finally settled we had an amazing time and enjoyed the staff and other guests at the hotel. (other than the front desk staff).

There were tons of food options - but you have to wake up early in the morning if you want to eat at any of the restaurants (definitely do this though - the restaurants are all included but have a MUCH nicer atmosphere and presentation, and great food.) If you don't wake up to make a reservation at 8 am, the food is served in dining hall buffet style. I still enjoyed it and there are pleanty of options, but the restaurants are much better, make sure to try every one, the mexican one was our favorite.

Cons: It was nearly impossible to contact the hotel if you had questions before your stay. You had to contact multiple times, and if you thought your request was taken care of, they'd have no record of it if you called back. I was traveling with a group of girls and we were assured MULTIPLE times on the phone that our rooms would all be next to each other, but when we got to the hotel they said they didn't have record of it and it was impossible. The front desk staff were very mean and unhelpful, and you felt like they were trying to rip you off. We had to pay an additional $30 wristband fee each called a "spring break deposit" or something, except that we didn't get the money back if we didn't cause trouble, and the trip was supposed to be all-inclusive. One night our group of friends was having an emergency where we were separated from one of our friends while out in Cancun, and we came back to the hotel distraught and the front desk would not even let us use their phone to try to find her, it was ridiculous. When we got there we had to fill out a room-status report like when you check into your dorm room, verifying any damage that was in the room so we didn't get charged (I don't know why they couldn't have done this themselves ahead of time.) Check in with a group of 4 took over an hour and there was a huge line - not enough front desk staff in addition to them being unhelpful. The waitress Elizabeth at the tequila bar was our favorite person there, she was so sweet and nice and always was looking out for us.

The waiters/waitresses/bartenders/cleaning staff/maintenance workers were all AMAZING. I wanted to clarify this since I said the front desk workers were horrible - everyone else who worked at the resort was great. They were very friendly and some got to know us throughout our stay, and we felt very at home there. Basically most of our problems were logistical and were a huge hassle before the trip and at check in, but once we got there we really enjoyed ourselves and were relieved that the problems didn't persist.

Another great thing was that our wristbands enabled us to get into the "Grand Oasis" bars included in our package. We were very glad we stayed at the Grand Oasis Palm vs. the Grand Oasis. The Grand Oasis was the typical crazy spring break crowd, so we were glad to visit there at night (we took the public bus for $1 per person each way, very easy and felt safe, full of other people on spring break) We heard the Grand Oasis, although fun at night, had horrible food and often it was impossible to get drinks at the bar because it was so crowded so people had to purchase their own alcohol bottles despite having paid for the all-inclusive service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank hutsonl14
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Pros: Overall a decent place. Nice hotel for the price. STaff are very acccomodating and provide excellent service. Nice grounds, beautiful scenery. REstaurants and food are good, except for the burgers that you can get for snacks-- they are not real ground beef, but rather a compressed mixture of something. Did not like these at all.

Cons: All of the beach chairs are broken -- they have broken slats which makes them uncomfortable. THey need all new ones. Each day people are in search for an unbroken chair.
The water went out a couple of times during the week for very brief periods, but when you are in the shower with a head full of shampoo this can be distressing. The gym needs some attention -- and they need to get the safety key for the Landice treadmill so that people can actually use it.

Overall I had a great time there, but honestly would not go back. If you can get a decent deal, I would not discourage you from going.

Room Tip: stay on the ocean side
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bjudi
Portland, OR
Reviewed November 21, 2013

This was our first trip to Cancun and also our first all inclusive vacation. Everyone at the grand oasis Palm were great. We went in Oct, which is their off season, so we had most of the resort to ourselves. The staff was great and the amenities top notch. Everyone there made us feel welcome and the service was great. We tried all of the restaurants and if I were to say anything negative it would be that the buffets were a little lacking (food was not always hot). The ala-cart restaurants were great and everyone made us feel very welcome. All in all a great time, we didn't see any of the negativities that we read about in previous reviews. One thing I would advise and like to emphasize is to make sure that you have prior arrangements made for transportation from the airport to the resort and back to the airport. There are several companies that do this for a very reasonable price, we used Travel USA and were glad we did because it was pandemonium outside the airport with people trying to get to their hotel. I wish I could remember the names of some of the staff that really went out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home, there were several. I know they say tips are not necessary but take some cash with you to tip the staff anyway. They deserve it and a few greenbacks go a long way towards helping them out and shows them you like their service. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor and had great views of the lagoon and the property,
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wurzburg38
New City, New York
Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel was average, the location not great, the rooms need updating. I have traveled to Cancun many, many times and this is the worst resort I have stayed in. The best thing about this hotel is the pool and beach area. I was traveling with 2 small children and the staff was very nice and accommodating. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mnabiel
World Traveller
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The hotel was an average hotel at an average location it wasn't anything special but was adequate. Some of the restaurants were available for breakfast and dinner, others for lunch. Some were available for all until dinner time then it was necessary to pay more to enter. There were activities during the day and late at night. The beach had a hard surface with only a little sand on it.

Room Tip: They said we were upgraded from the Palm Oasis to the Grand Oasis but if we wanted more food selecti...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LouieWorldTraveller
West Orange, NJ
Reviewed November 17, 2013

This was our first time visiting Cancun. We've visited many other places in Mexico and we're in love with the beautiful, turquoise blue, swimmable, white sandy ocean in Cancun! My husband and I traveled with our 3 children (ages 8, 6 & 2). All staff was super friendly, kind, and professional. Thank you to all concierge staff and all staff who answered all our questions and were so helpful. We celebrated my husband's birthday there with the help from Ari and Eduardo who took care of the restaurant's reservation, cake, and room service for his birthday without him knowing (Thank you so much for accommodating us and making it special!) We loved the food at "Aires del Norte" and all the staff was so attentive at all the restaurants. A big hello to Alejandro and Carlos from Entertainment who were always so friendly and FUN! We always saw them working hard at the Kids' activities, pool games, beach games, night life... everywhere!
About the resort: Staff very friendly and attentive. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Very easy to take the bus in front of resort to sight see and visit other places. Airport approx. 20 minutes away. Swimmable beach and easy access to sister hotel with swimmable ocean too. Many activities during the day and night (shows, music)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family