“Reasonable resort in the hotel zone with good food offerings”
Review of Grand Oasis Palm

Grand Oasis Palm
Ranked #48 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I took my family of three to Cancun for the first time booked via cheapcarribbean.com. The nominal booking cost is $307 a night...but I hope no one actually pays the full price. The all-inclusive resort offers plenty of drinks and food choices, and the pool areas are very accommodating. If you have babies to entertain, a budget to keep, and are willing to sacrifice on the quality of the beach area for the convenience of closely placed facilities for the usual circuit (bar, restaurant, pool, bar...), this well-established resort (i.e.: old) will workout for you.

The gotchas:

1. Its the first time I see pool facility throw a bucket of solid chlorine into the pool while everyone was soaking in it. Of course, everyone got out immediately to avoid their swimsuit from dissolving.

2. kid's club is only good for 4 and up. They won't take responsibility for younger kids.

3. as in most dealings in Mexico, you need to tip and ask when you want room service that are needed repeatedly to be done right.

4. the beach area is definitely not pristine. Lots of weeds, and beach care is not well done. beach chairs are hard to come by. crowded.

5  Thank NvrWhere
Write a ReviewReviews (3,599)

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I wish I would of spent more money and booked elsewhere. The food is absolutely awful, Hometown Buffet has better food. The beach is crowded and the ocean is literally covered in algae. Seems like many food places opened late and closed early. This resort seems to cater mostly to locals, I felt like I was trapped at the Main Place Mall for a week. Activities are a joke. The beach is on a Marina, no waves.
Now for the bad :
On one night i woke up in the middle of the night to find my room door open. On that particular night we did use the dead bolt lock on the door, we forgot to do so. The door was shut when we went to bed. It scared me tremendously to find the door opened in the middle of the night. I immediately did a head count of my children. Thank God they were all sleeping and in place. With in seconds the phone rings, my teenage daughter answered it and hanged me the receiver. My first thought was that we were being evacuated because of hurricane Ernesto...wrong....completey wrong. A man with a deep voice informed me that he had been in my room watching me sleep and that he had masturbated doing so. We found semen on the floor of the room.
Management switched us to another room and informed us only hotel employees can make calls to rooms. Apparently guests cannot make calls to other guests. Management had a shocked looked and stated they would investigate. In America the authorities would of immediately been notified, but not in Mexico. We are still mortified, appalled, and disgusted.
Email me if you have any questions.
Please do not go to this resort.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
15  Thank V M
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My family and I were there 7/29 - 8/2 and ended up very satisfied with the place. Check in was fast, a drawback was that I was promised an ocean-view room and I was not given one and the front desk people was not too motivated to make me happy. Another negative factor was that elevators were too small and always had to wait a while for one or use the stairs. They have to do something about that. Other than that, everything else was an excellent experience. The food was excellent (best part of the resort), service at the restaurants was good, entertainment was good, rooms were clean and staff was friendly. Not too thrilled about the beach there, too calm. Visit the restaurant "Aires del Norte" for dinner; it was one of my best (steak) meals while we were there. "La Bamba" is also good, but highly over rated, usually booked by 8:00am.

Room Tip: 6th floor at the grand oasis was pretty quiet.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Beach full of algea and no restrooms near beach area. Hotel runs out of beach towels and no help when towels stolen from lounge. Their solution was to take towels from other unsuspecting guests which I consider criminal since guests are charged if they do not return towels. Elevators are very tiny and slow when operable - definitely not sufficient for number of guests in hotel. Basically found myself going to adjacent sister hotel for drinks and food most of the time which was a great inconvenince.

Room Tip: No balconies on most rooms.
2  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I booked an all inclusive for the weekend of the 29th of July,2012 through cheap caribbean.com. I chose this resort because trip advisor had good reviews!!! What a mistake!! When we arrived they gave us a room key, I didn't even have to show ID???? The room key was for someone else's room, when I opened the door their stuff was all in the room, how embarrassing! Also not very secure and safe if they give out keys to other guests rooms! Went back down to the lobby (by the way only 2 elevators for all these guests is crazy, we used stairs most of the time!) We told them at the lobby they gave us access to someone else's room, they shrugged it off like no big deal and gave us another room key, went back up to the 6th floor (no air conditioning in the halls, elevators or restaurants by the way!!!), when we got to our 2nd room, they key was not working to open the door, so here we go again, all the way back down after wasting an hour going back and forth to the lobby. 3rd time, they gave us keys that worked, they upgraded our room to an ocean view, which we didn't care what room we had cause we weren't planning on being in the room much anyway! Also, I called this hotel prior to purchasing the all inclusive to ask what the hours were for bars and pools etc and was told 10pm for pool and midnight for bars, THIS AGAIN WAS WRONG!!! POOLS CLOSE AT 8PM AND BARS CLOSE AT 10PM! The lobby bar is open till 1am and that's it! For a Saturday night I thought everything closed way too early!! Also, when we went to eat at the buffet they told my 11 year old son to change his shirt (he was wearing a muscle shirt), he had to go up to the room and change into a t-shirt to eat there, yet girls were practically naked and eating in the same restaurant ! When I asked why this was, the waitress said girls can wear anything they want, boys have to wear shirts with sleeves!!!! HOLY!!! We even went over to sister hotel, but everything there closed early too!! We ordered room service which is open 24 hours but they do not have any drinks alcoholic or non alcoholic!!! THE ROOM SERVICE WE ORDERED WENT RIGHT INTO THE GARBAGE CAN, IT WAS SO BAD NONE OF US COULD EAT IT!!! This was our first all inclusive trip and it was so bad we will never go back there!!!

Room Tip: Get a room on lower levels because the elevator takes forever!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank angelamacd1
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at the Grand Oasis Palm from July 26th-30th. Let me start by stating the positives. Service 5 stars, Food 4 stars, Property 4 stars. We were enjoying our trip till the last day.We checked out around 9 am as we wanted to go to Mercado 28 to get a little shopping done before getting on the plane. We get back to the hotel around 11.45 and decided to go to the sushi bar for our last lunch. It was busy and the lady who was checking the bands and seating people asked us to wait. So we wait for 20 min and finally find 2 chairs at the bar. My husband went to the lady(Marlene??) to tell her that we wont need a table as we found a place. In the meantime the bartender/server tells me that since we have checked out we cannot eat at the A la Carte restaurant but since we waited for 20 minutes and the lady never checked the bands or told us and is at fault, he has talked to the head chef and it would be OK for us to eat there.
But the lady comes back with the worst attitude and kept giving us dirty looks and kept talking about us to the bartender in front of other people sitting in the restaurant. It was very embarrassing and insulting. I wont have a problem if you just tell us that we cannot eat there. But talking about a customer in front of 50 people so loudly is highly unprofessional
After this incident there is no way I am going back to that resort. We go to Mexico almost every year and I am going to spend my money where they treat their guests with respect and not insult them.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beach_fanatics7779
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I made reservations for a Gran hotel, but didnt know i was for this one until we pulled up! My biggest gripe is this hotel is super far from the hotel zone....very far... Once I got past that and realized this wasnt my first trip to Cancun I was fine. I had a awesome time here... The grounds are beautiful, and there was always something going on...The restuarants were GREAT, especially Las Palmas steakhouse, yum!!! As long as you hae the black bracelets on you have access to everything, ice cream, all the restuarants, sushi bar, all bars...everything...

The beach is a little weird, its almost as if its a inlet not really a beach, water was very very shallow almost 100ft from shore...with very very calm waters, could be a little boring.......

HATED the fact that both double beds are pushed together to almost form a oversized king bed wit one headboard... If I was traveling with 2 other adults I would be rightously upset over that as the beds are tooooooooo close..........

Pros:
The food
The pools
Taco stand
Fairly large rooms
Friendly people
Great kids club

Cons:
Far from Hotel Zone
Room not cleaned til 3-5pm
Never left enough towels, ever
Super small elevators

If it wasnt so far from the "main" Cancun area I wuld say Iwould return, but I want to have the ability to access the city faster than where this hotel was lcoated...

Suggestion: Adding a shuttle to thehotel zone a cuple of times a day... that would be great

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family