“be ready to have fun”
Review of Pirate Assault

Reviewed March 19, 2014

My friend and I had a free evening while in Cancun for a professional conference, so we bought tickets to this by recommendation for the concierge at our hotel. We clearly had NO idea what we had gotten ourselves into. We thought we had signed up for a boat cruise with dinner and a show. We are very low-key people. My college-age self would have had so much fun on this trip but would not have been able to afford it. Even though I am now a responsible adult, I had fun despite myself! The crew was on a personal mission to make sure everyone aboard was going to have fun whether they like it or not.

We were greeted with drinks as soon as we boarded the pirate ship, and the drinks were freely flowing. I had 3 lined up in front of me at one time, and I don't really drink much. The MC was really funny, cheesy stand-up comedy style. There is a lot of audience participation throughout the night with dancing, games, relay races, etc. There was a mix of couples both young and old, families with young children, and a few single folks. We took a 30 minute, bumpy boat ride with dancing and drinking while cruising in the ocean to Isla Mujeres, where we de-boarded. There was a buffet dinner, which was good food with nice presentation on the island. More dancing, comedy, audience participation on the island. EVERYONE participates, so be ready to dance and play along. The ride back was similar to the ride there. Again, the staff was extremely accommodating and making sure everyone was having a good time. It was fun to feel young and carefree again. One of the nice young men (party animals I think they are called) helped my friend and I get a cab at the end of the night. You'll leave feeling like you made new friends even if you didn't get anyone's name. I am quite impressed with the tourism industry in Cancun. People seem to really enjoy their work and make you want to spend your money there. I would definitely return with my more rambunctious friends in the future.

4  Thank mayasmommd

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I had originally planned on an afternoon of sailing on the Sea Passions Cataraman. I visited the tour desk (An office shared by Amstar and Apple Vacations at the resort I was staying at) on Tuesday afternoon, October 29th 2013, and told them I was interested in booking it for Wednesday. I gave them my credit card and they provided me with a tiny receipt and said I was all set.

Wednesday morning came around, I waited in the Hotel lobby to be picked up. They didn't show up. The concierge made a phone call. 30 minutes later, still nothing. Another phone call was made, and the reps from the tour office came to the lobby and explained, "Sorry, we had you booked for Yesterday morning. There was a mix up."

Uh.... How does a tour desk successfully book a reservation, and go as far as accepting payment for an event whose time and date has already come and gone? That's a big oops, and for that, the tour desk gets an "F".

Well anyway, as unacceptable as that was, I had two options; I could choose to get all upset, or..... I could shake my head and laugh, and not let it ruin my vacation. I chose the second option. I said, "Ok, stuff happens. What other excursions could I do in place of that one?" I settled for the Caribbean Pirate Assault that evening.

The Caribbean Pirate Assault is pretty much the same thing as the Caribbean Carnival. Same company, same boats, just different theme. Some nights it's the Carnival, other nights it's the Pirate Assault.

A shuttle van picked me up from the hotel that evening, and drove me into Cancun, over to the pier where the excursion was to begin. The ride from the hotel in Peurto Morales to Cancun was a little under an hour. The pier looked somewhat disappointing, as in kind of run down and shoddy-looking. I was directed to the ticket office where I was asked to pay the $7 port fee. (This is not included in the initial cost of the excursion, just so you know. Make sure you bring money with you to cover this additional expense if you book this excursion.) I was then directed to a row of white, plastic patio chairs, where the group congregated, waiting for boarding time. One of the first things I noticed was that the majority of the group appeared to be locals. There were maybe 20 or so Americans. The locals seated next to me gave a friendly "Hola!"

Now when you hear the name "Pirate Assault", you might be inclined to think you're going to be sailing on a pirate ship, right? Think again. We boarded a double-decker "ferry boat" and were directed to the top, open deck. We were seated around the perimeter of the deck, where they had white, plastic chairs and a handful of tables. The center of the deck was more or less a make-shift stage where the show and games would take place. The water was very choppy that evening, and so the boat ride was a bit bumpy at times, but fun, none-the-less.

I believe the captain's (Lead pirate) name was Carlos. Funny guy, who could speak in a variety of different languages. He would speak in Spanish to the main group of passengers, and then speak in English. The group I was seated next to was a Family from Wisconsin. I guess everyone thought I was with them, but that was alright.

The show during the cruise I felt was a bit lacking. Yes, the crew was dressed up as pirates, and at times they were cute and funny, but it just didn't feel much like a pirate excursion. The captain started singling out various passengers, and next thing I knew, a kid I was seated next to was labeled as Justin Beiber. (Poor kid!) All through the entire excursion they poked fun at this kid, and teased him to no end. Fortunately he was a very good sport about it, and took it well.

There are a few games that they play during the cruise, and they attempt (well, sometimes aggressively) to get audience members to participate, particularly the women. After firmly telling them, "No thank you, I'll stay here" they finally left me alone, to enjoy the show and just watch.

I was constantly asked if I wanted something to drink, which I guess is how it should be, if you are a drinker, which I am not. After a couple rounds of soda pop, I politely tried to decline their offers for more drinks, but they just kept asking and asking, and a few times actually handed me drinks I never even asked for, and practically yelled at me, "HERE! Take this! It's non-alcoholic, you'll like this!!!" (They were right, I DID like it, but the fact that they were practically insisting that I drink something, ANYTHING, was a bit annoying at times.)

The boat docked at the Island (Isla Mujeres), and I must say this was a quaint little resort-type place they had set up. Nice dock, what looked like a make-shift area for swimming, which I presume would be used for daytime activities, a playground, lighted palapas, and a large, picnic bowery. There was also an area that had rows of those white, plastic chairs lined up, and a big, outdoor stage. The steps leading up to the stage looked a bit shoddy, and somewhat difficult to maneuver, as they were steep.

They seated us by the stage, and put on a pirate themed show which included elaborate costumes, dancing, and some comedy routines. Afterwards, they directed us to the bowery, where we enjoyed a nice buffet dinner. The meat and fish tacos, while small, were actually very good, as was the rest of the food. I was seated with the family from Wisconsin, and sat right next to "The Biebs!" I chatted with the kid for a bit. I told him, "So.... should I tell everyone when I get home that I had dinner with Justin Beiber? They'll NEVER believe it!!! I'd ask for your autograph, but that might be pushing it a little." He just laughed. Great kid, and such a good sport. Well, the teasing by the crew didn't stop, even at dinner. Nrext thing we knew, they brought out a birthday cake and tried to convince the crowd it was Justin's birthday. The kid was soooo embarrassed, but he took it well. (Literally, I might add!)

After dinner, it was back to the chairs by the stage, for more pirate costumes, music and dancing, followed by some audience participation games, and finally everyone up on stage clapping and dancing. The stage became a disco.

I might add that throughout dinner, and during the dancing, it was all American Pop music. I was hoping for something more in touch with Mexico and the Caribbean, but ok, whatever.

The sound system on the boat, and also at the stage at the resort, was WAAAAAY TOO LOUD!!!!! So loud, it sounded DISTORTED. It was clipping. Not good! Several people were covering their ears at times.

As we were being directed towards the stage, one of the crew members approached me and literally snatched my camera away from me. (WHAT??!!) They attempted to take my picture, which I guess was ok, once I figured out what they were doing, but I was a little put off by this. You DON'T snatch someone's property without warning, You just DON'T!

Well, after dancing, it was back to the boat for the ride back to Cancun. There was more dancing on board, and of course, more forced (or practically forced) drinks, but.... the crew seemed to finally ease up the the aggressiveness and allowed the passengers to sit and enjoy the ride if they didn't wish to participate.

At the end of the excursion, the tip boxes came out, which is the custom down there. Yes, you are expected to tip, and it's only right that you do.

My transportation was waiting for me when we docked in Cancun. There was something about the van... it WREAKED. I don't know what the smell was, it wasn't cigarettes or cigars.... hmmm.

So... that's how this excursion went. YES it's fun, and at times, entertaining. NO, it really isn't a pirate ship. Not even close. If you want something with more of a pirate feel, I recommend the Captain Hook excursion over this one.

I enjoyed this excursion, but there were a few things about it which left a bad taste in my mouth, therefore I cannot give this a higher rating. It's good fun, but I wouldn't call it great.

4  Thank gummyroach
Reviewed May 20, 2013

A "Pirate ship" picked us up at the dock, and after about a 45 minute "cruise" to ISLA MUJERES. On the way there, you drank, danced, laughed, and had no choice to participate. If you don;t like interaction activities, dancing, or laughing, don;t go. It was a good value.

2  Thank Jeri01
Reviewed April 11, 2013

For all of you complaing about English not being the best on the cruise....you are in Mexico! If you want 100% English stay in the States!

9  Thank Woksapa