“A wonderful vacation”

Hyatt Zilara Cancun
Ranked #7 of 176 Hotels in Cancun

In terms of service:
I've had some of the finest experiences in this hotel. In Spice, the main buffet dining room, Laura, would bring us to our table, and move us if we weren't comfortable with out seating arrangement. Roberto and Hector took care of us very well and even remembered exactly what we would normally drink, and would always treat us with a smile. Carlos, one of the pasta chefs, makes some of the best pasta I've had! In the pool bar, Julio and Fidencio (I believe?) knew how to make great drinks. I really recommend the Paloma. Solomon and his father, Rapheal, would always talk to us and help us out, whether it be in the 24 hour lounge, or the main lobby area. In the Coffee house, Benjamin made an amazing milkshake.
The food, overall, was good:
As mentioned before, the pasta was amazing, and the burgers were good as well, at Spice. At Asiana, the Asian restaurant, which served a wide variety of Thai and Japanese food, the sushi was good, and teppanyaki, even better. At Maria Marie, we loved the rack of lamb and the soufflé (but make sure to order it twenty minutes before, as we learned the hard way, by not paying attention to the menu). The ambiance at Pelicano's was amazing, especially at night. Though a bit dim, eating good food while listening to the Caribbean Sea was an amazing treat.
The room was large, tiled, and felt cool.
It was also huge. One of the largest hotel rooms I've been in. We had the Ocean Front Junior Suite Double. We decided against the Swim-up suite mainly because it was expensive and there's no view of the beach/sea. The balcony was large and a great place to relax and keep our wet swimming clothes. There was a fully stocked all-inclusive mini bar with sodas and some liquor on the side. There were four(?) different choices for pillows, all unique, we used the memory foam ones. There was also two different housekeeping times (one to clean the room, and the other to turn-down for sleeping time) and even a choice of bath salts for the jacuzzi in the room.
Overall, it was a wonderful vacation, and I miss it dearly, and am trying to convince my family into coming back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Sanil D
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Sanil D,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your recent vacation and for sharing your wonderful experience with us.

We are pleased to read you had a truly exceptional and memorable experience thanks to the personalized service provided by our associates, the plentiful dining options and of course comfortable and luxurious accommodations.

We truly appreciate you to recognize our dedicated associates such as Laura, Roberto, Hecto, Carlos, Julio, Fidencio, Solomon, Raphael and Benjamin and please be assured we will share your motivating words with every single one of them.
I am certain they will be excited to know they were able to make a difference during your stay.

Once again, thank you for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back during your next visit to Cancun!

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Zilara Cancun

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Yes I am a repeat guest and I was initially concerned but when I arrived in mid January everything had been returned to the way it had been in the past and maybe even a little better. The food was great and the hospitality exceptional. I have always found the staff of the various Real Resorts to be the best I have encountered traveling.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean pool runs the whole length the North end is the activities end of the pool.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Gregory M

Dear greg m,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty and for sharing this short, but wonderful review with us.

The comments and suggestions received on behalf of our valued guests, especially from return guests such as you are, are very important to us, which is why we truly appreciate you taking your time to share your excellent experience.

We are thrilled to know we were able to meet your expectations once more by providing upscale dining options and excellent hospitality service.

Again, thank you for your preference and we are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next vacation in Cancun!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We visited 23 March to 13 April.
Having been to the hotel twice before when it was The Royal, we were concerned when we read the reviews soon after the Hyatt group took it over. However, our fears were unfounded everything was as wonderful as it was before.
The room was great, sea view, comfy bed, great walk in shower, two sinks and was always cleaned well.
The food was lovely, we ate in Maria Marie, Pelicanos and Spice, we enjoyed them all. We would like to give a special mention to Gisel who was our waiter of choice in Spice, he was always cheery and knew which drinks we wanted for each meal.
We would also like to give a special thank you to many of the waiting staff, who were always cheerful and smiley, they all helped towards us having a wonderful time. They are Ligia, Frankie, Miriam, Wendy, Eloisa, Daysi, Pepe and Diaz.
We also took advantage of the great Coffee House and would like to say thank you to Benjamin there.
All in all we had a brilliant holiday and hope to return next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janet T

Dear Janet T,

First of all thank you very much for your preference and for taking your valuable time to share your wonderful vacation experience.

It was a great pleasure to host you for your 3rd visit and we are excited to know we were able to once again meet your expectation with the great location, comfortable and beautiful accommodations, delicious food and beverage offerings and of course excellence in services provided by our valued associates.

Thank you very much for taking your time to mention Gisel, Ligia, Frankie, Miriam, Wendy, Eloisa, Daysi, Pepe, Diaz and Benjamin. We will most certainly communicate your kind words with them and I am sure they will be proud to know they were able to make your stay truly exceptional.

Once again, thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your vacation and we hope to have the privilege of hosting you again in the near future for the 4th time.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I dont like resorts that much but I stayed with my husband at the Zilara for 2 nights after being in Tulum, Playa del Carmen and Isla Mujeres for 2 weeks doing snorkel , Cenotes, a lot of walking so we wanted to relax and do nothing and that's what we did hang at the pool and eat and I have to tell that this hotel really knows how to make you feel comfortable, is huge and clean, very friendly people, the room was very clean, nice view to the ocean and the nice pool, the bed was the best like sleeping on a cloud , we ate at space and Pelicanos was ok, we tried Asiana was very good, but my favorite was Marias very good steak and very good service , the coffee shop has good deserts , so in overall the Hotel was nice, clean, good service and if you the kind of person that likes to do nothing just relax and eat that's the place to be they even clean your sunglasses for you and bring what ever you want to the room or the pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Verito23
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Verito23,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share your vacation experience with us.

We are pleased to read that you were able to truly relax at Hyatt ZIlara Cancun, enjoying the comfortable suites, beautiful pool, great dining options and service provided by our valued associates.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope you will allow us the privilege to pamper you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

From the moment you walk in you are handed a glass of champagne and a towel to wash your hands. We were greeted by Solomon who was so lovely to us the entire trip making sure every time we saw him that we were having a great trip. The room was amazing down to the hammock on the balcony. All the food we ate was great! We always did spice for breakfast and pelicanos for lunch! Never a bad meal!! We had dinner at tapas, Maria Marie's and asiana which were all great in their own way! My favorite part of the trip would have to be the pool! From the great service of Rafael to all the entertainment staff like habol, Evian and mike that kept you entertained from beach volleyball, making guacamole and my all time favorite crazy games!! Was kind of disappointed on the last day they were not allowed to do crazy games anymore. Overall an amazing trip. Told everyone I know to go there and I will also be returning to the resort one day! Thanks for an amazing trip!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lindsey N

Dear Lindsey N,

First of all thank you very much for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your vacation and for sharing this wonderful and motivating review with us.

We are excited to know you truly enjoyed your stay from the moment you entered the resort, especially the comfortable accommodations, delicious dining options, the amazing pool, fun activities and of course the excellent service provided by our dedicated associate.

Please be assured we will share your comments with every single one of our associates, especially with Solomon, Raphael, Evian and Mike who I am certain will be proud to have been able to make this a truly memorable vacation experience.

Thank you very much for recommending us and we cannot wait to host you again during your next visit to Cancun.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I originally booked our honeymoon at the Gran Caribe Real next door. While it was a 5 star hotel, the Gran Caribe Real caters to families as well as to Spring Breakers. This was far from what we envisioned for a honeymoon. The friendly front desk gave us the option of going over to the Hyatt Zilara, which is a 5 diamond rated hotel. One quick tour of the place was all we needed. As soon as we woke up the next day, we sprinted over to check in.

I have never in my life been more impressed and blown away by such excellent customer service and care given to the needs and wants of guests.

This was the Russian doll of vacations.

First, there's the setting. Beach. 84 degrees at noon. 75 degrees at night. March in New York faded away in our rear view.

Then, inside of that vacation there's the all-inclusive. It was a vacation from going into my wallet for drinks, meals and entertainment. This allowed us to happily and aggressively tip our fantastic servers.

Finally, inside of THAT vacation is adults-only. No one under 16 can stay there and it's priced so that a Spring Breaker wouldn't opt to stay there when the Gran Caribe is cheaper. Words cannot express the peace when it's only adults around.

All that being said, what made us certain that the Hyatt Zilara will see us again next year is the staff. The genuine happiness and energy was infectious and vital to making us instantly fall in love with the hotel. Our bartenders Fidencio and Uriel in the hotel lobby and Victor at the swim-up bar had our drinks in front of us before we said a word by the second day. Our waiter Miguel at Maria Marie gave us an extra entree he insisted we try and he was so very right about it. Alonso the sommelier gave us special attention during and after the wine tasting event, as well as stopped by our table whenever he saw us to say hi. Our waiter Mario at Tapas Pinxos surprised us with a dessert complete with "Happy Honeymoon" written in chocolate. The hotel greeter Solomon welcomed us every time with the most genuine and bright smile I've ever seen. And Manuela our housekeeper blew us away every night when we returned to our room with amazing turn down service.

If you're looking for an adventure vacation, this isn't the place. But if you're looking for a vacation from every stress you could think of, we will see you at the Hyatt Zilara next March.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that open towards the hotel lobby. All the rooms on the wings have the front door o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Calvin B
Alfonso J, Director General at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Calvin B,

First of all thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun for your honeymoon and for sharing this excellent feedback with us and all other TA reviewers.

We are thrilled to know that we were able to meet your wants and needs with our upscale, adults only all-inclusive experience and excellent customer services provided by our dedicated associates.

Be assured that we will share your motivating review with every single one of them, especially Fidencio, Uriel, Victor, Miguel, Alonso, Mario and Manuela, whom you kindly recognized.
They will be honored to know they were able to assist in making your stay truly memorable.

Once again, thank you very much for your preference and we cannot wait to welcome you back next year for your first anniversary.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hyatt Zilara Cancun from April 10th-14th for our one year anniversary and we were very disappointed in the hotel. We have traveled to Cancun, Riviera Maya and Playa del Carmen several times in the last few years and always stay at 4-5 star all-inclusive resorts. This was by far our least favorite hotel.

We stayed at the The Royal in Playa del Carmen last year and hoped that the same attention to detail and friendliness from the staff would carry through in Cancun even though the management had changed. We never stayed at the hotel when it was The Royal Cancun so I can't say if what we experienced was typical for this property or not.

Overall I did not get a warm feeling from the staff members at the Hyatt Zilara. They all seemed to be stiff and their greetings forced, when we received them. Most of the time staff passed us by without even a glance, let along a smile and greeting. This was such a different atmosphere from previous experiences we have had at the Valentin and The Royal in Playa del Carmen, where everyone made a point of saying Hola, Buenos Dias, etc. and smiling.

With the exception of two gentlemen, service was spotty at best and many times downright terrible. The exceptions were Fidencio at the Lobby Bar during the day and Moises at the Pool, who went above and beyond and made us feel very special. One evening we sat at the Lobby bar for ten minutes and were not even acknowledged by any of the bartenders. They were busy, but not overly so and just walked right by us numerous times. We ended up leaving in frustration. Additionally, on several occasions we were told the bar did not have Crown Royal, but when our friend Fidencio was on duty it was always available for us. This was very upsetting as well. We always tip and very well, so that was not even a deciding factor in the service we received.

In the restaurants we waited for long periods on several occasions for someone to greet us at the front podium and also to approach our table once seated. The food in general was not terrible, but it was not the same quality I would expect for the level of hotel and price we paid for our trip. My husband and I both got horrible cases of heartburn and bad belly almost every day. This is somewhat expected in Mexico, but we never had this much trouble in the past.

Our room was also not to the level I would expect for this hotel, especially since this was an "upgraded room" and we paid additional money for it. It was in desperate need of a face lift and the bed was extremely lumpy as many have mentioned before. The whirlpool tub was filthy and there is no way I would have considered getting into it. The shower and toilet area was also very outdated and in need of a more thorough cleaning.

Cleanliness in the rest of the hotel was hit or miss. The 24 hour lounge was not monitored on a regular basis and at one point I had to track down a staff member to get it cleaned of dirty plates left everywhere and have it restocked with fresh ones. The pool was also in desperate need of a good scrubbing. Compared to other hotels, I did not see the same amount of staff dedicated to cleaning and upkeep of the resort overall.

From an entertainment stand point, we expected there to be something going on to engage guests around the pool such as music, games, etc, but there was nothing happening. It was very quiet all day, every day. The only music playing in the bars and restaurants was this awful MUZAK. We would have preferred background music with a local theme that at least reminded us we were in Mexico, not making us feel like we are stuck in an elevator.

On a happy note, the beach was beautiful and had a nice sand bar that reached far out into the ocean. The weather was also perfect the whole time we were there, 85 and sunny every day.

I have to say that I am not the type of person to write bad reviews and usually take the ones I have read with a grain of salt. We had been looking forward to this trip for months and having been to similar resorts in the area, thought we knew what to expect of a 4-5 star rated property. We could have gone back to a resort we know, but we like to explore new places and really had high hopes for this vacation. As a side note, we spent more on this trip (for a shorter stay) than we have for any other in the past.

My advise, spend your money elsewhere until the Hyatt people get their act together.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
10  Thank DKL35

Dear DKL35,

First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Hyatt Zilara Cancun and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

Please know that our guests’ comments are very important to us as they allow us to see what we are doing right, wrong and how we can continuously improve, in order to provide the excellence in service our valued guests, such as you deserve.

We are very sorry to hear that both you and your husband were unwell during your stay and sincerely hope you have fully recovered.

We would like to emphasize about our strict procedures regarding the Cleanliness & Hygiene Control, which are followed according to the Crystal Certification, (the most important international organism to Cleanliness and Hygiene Control), which assures that all of our facilities, food and beverages are within the safety and high quality standards.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you encountered during your stay, especially the lack of consistency you perceived in the services provided.
We are sad to know we were unable to meet your high expectations during this visit.

We are aware that although our personnel is highly qualified and trained to provide the best hospitable service to all of our guests, we must continuously go through the proper training in order to improve in all our areas of opportunity and reinforce the high quality of service we are expected to provide.

We are pleased to read you were still able to fully enjoy the beautiful Caribbean beaches, perfect weather and excellence in service provided by Fidencio and Moises. We truly appreciate you recognizing their dedication and will make sure to share your kind words with them.

Once again, allow us to express our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced and we hope you will give us another opportunity to host you, in order to demonstrate the constant enhancements that allow Hyatt Zilara Cancun to provide authentic hospitality to all our distinguished guests.