Hyatt Zilara Cancun
$337
$330
$817
$800
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
$465
$356
$269
  • Pool
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
$803
$427
$508
$474
6,536 results
All reviewsmaria mariechef's platespice restaurantswim up suitehour loungehector zepedaasiana restaurantromance conciergefoam partylobby barbeach cabanahammock on the balconyour honeymoonocean frontcorner suiteturn down servicepresidential suite
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I have been regularly visiting the Royal since 2008. We were anxious about the changes made by Hyatt when we attended for a weeks holiday in January 2014.

First of all, the staff were superb, as usual. Sergio, Nacho, Jose, and Jorge all went over and above on the level of personal and professional service. These people take pride in what they do and the Hyatt Zilara they work for. Along with all the other staff, from cleaners, security, food prep, and general staff the Zilara was a delight.

As for the negatives, the Zilara needs to be branded properly with signs and logos on the uniforms and retention of the Royal team spirit. The hand to heart accompanying the friendly mexican greeting goes a long way. The ubiquitous check mark logo should be left alone as the mark of a vintage hotel, despite its ownership, and as a gesture of respect to the late Fernando Garcia. The menu is a work in progress, but it is good work. Even choices which might be decribed as more common place are prepared with zest and attention, and there is more than enough choice unless you are completely jaded.

The property is very clean, retains its superb and special layout and is not being allowed to decay. The Hyatt has acquired a jewel which it should cherish and treasure rather than trying to reset.

We will definitely continue our yearly visits for years to come and hope that the same staff will be there to greet us.

Our friends who also visit regularly are pleased with what we had to report.

9  Thank Jeffrey P
MRobertsZilara, General Manager at Hyatt Zilara Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Jeffrey P,

First of all thank you very much for taking your time to write such an encouraging review.
We very much appreciate you choosing to continue spending your holidays with us and for being such loyal guests.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at Hyatt Zilara Cancun and that our associates provided you with excellent service; please rest assured we will pass on your kind and motivating words to Sergio, Nacho, Jose, and Jorge.

Your suggestions are of great value to us and rest assure that they have already been reviewed.

Once more, thank you and we look forward to pampering you during your next visit to Cancun!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

1. Check in seemed like a never ending story - more than 1/2 hour and that was without a wait. I am Diamond with Hyatt and it took two phone calls to see if we could get an upgrade and late checkout was never resolved. I was told to ask the day before checkout (next day on a two night stay) to see if it was available.

2. Upgrade to Corner suite was nice. Why did I have to sign a form to agree to no charge upgrade? No other Diamond amenities offered at check-in. My stay points have posted but the nights have not. Another loose end I have to run down.

3. Sea Bass at Pelicanos seemed like it was served in the butter used on popcorn. This restaurant seemed more concerned with setting up the tables than serving people that were seated already. I watched a hamburger get dropped on the floor. The server that dropped it picked it up and left the tomato and onions on the floor. He walked past it two more times. The hostess came along and put a chair over it - didn't pick it up. Then another guy came and moved the chair - still leaving the stuff on the floor. Finally, after a guest skid on the onion, a guy with a broom came along and picked it up.

4. The palapa on the beach was nice - we had to ask several people where it was. We were initially pointed to the wrong end of the beach. The pool deck is quite crowded. And they seem to encourage towel reservations. I figure if someone isn't using the seats, they are available.

5. We went to the building with Maria Marie and the Tapas restaurant. We decided to eat somewhere else after a quick tapas bite. Why? Because the band was roaming the tables. A guitar can be loud enough but this guy was using a saxophone - not muted. Too loud for me.

6. We went to Spice and asked to look at the menu - on the door it said it said it was an a-la-carte and buffet restaurant. To me that meant we had a choice. No - we were told it was buffet only.

7. Asiana was excellent - we went for lunch and only one other couple was there.

8. Why does this all-inclusive hotels start with the rot-gut liquor when the guests are paying premium $?
If we wanted Cuervo 1800, there was a charge. So many of the included brands are the type that leave you with a headache.

9. Pool service was good - the server remembered our drink from the day before - pretty good considering how many people he had to take care of.

10. The hotel staff were very good (except as noted).

11. I feel this hotel is over-priced compared to others in the area. We probably won't return.

Room Tip: Lower room numbers are on the end that don't overlook the roof of neighboring hotels.
5  Thank SEAPlatinum

Dear SEAPlatinum,

on behalf of Hyatt Zilara Cancun we want to thank you for the time you have taken to share with us your review.

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your stay. Please know that the matters you have brought up have been addressed

We strive to provide you with only the best service, quality and experience. Hyatt prides itself on providing authentic hospitality and your feedback will allow us to refine on the best all inclusive experience our guests want when they stay with us.

Once again thank yourWe hope your travels bring you back to Cancun, and that we have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My husband and I just recently returned from our 4 night stay at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun. Being a platinum member, I was over the moon when I heard that they were opening up an all inclusive adult resort in Cancun. Despite all of the negative press & reviews that the hotel was getting, I wanted to see it for myself so I could make a fair assessment. Unfortunately, after spending this past week here, I'm sad to say that I wish I would have saved my 50,000 points (not to mention the grand we just dropped for the extra 2 nights). The level of service we received was certainly not worth it at all.

Check in/out: As soon as we stepped out of our car, we were escorted to the front desk to get checked in where we were met with a glass of champagne. I handed the woman my platinum card asking if she needed it. She replied yes. After sitting around for a good 5-10 minutes, we were informed that we needed to check in at the Romance Concierge desk. Ugh.

We made our way to the opposite side of the hallway and did the same song and dance with the reservationist there. It was there that we were given a card to fill out preferred times for housekeeping, turndown service & pillow selection. Housekeeping never came during the designated time - we actually had to call every day to get someone up there. Our "pillow selection" didn't make an appearance until the third night. Why bother at that point?

I also inquired about whether or not I could make dinner reservations with them as I had read about the horror stories about booking tables through different forums. The only table we were able to secure for our entire week there was for a 6pm at Maria Marie on that Tuesday. Otherwise, we were informed that we'd have to try our luck by walking in (not what I wanted to hear from a resort promising an "all inclusive" experience, but whatever). The reservationist was not helpful with recommendations or suggestions on what to do about the restaurant situation. I had to ask...which was really annoying. It was my first time at the hotel...a little guidance on what to do & what to expect would have been nice. Instead, we were left to figure it out for ourselves.

Fortunately for us, we were able to secure a table at a restaurant off the property for 2 nights, so it wasn't too bad. So I only had to chance it for 1 night....we were successful at getting a table at Asiate for 7:30 walking in after being put on a 45 min wait list at Tapas & Maria Marie.

Rooms: We had a junior suite on the third floor (335). It was a decent size room with a beautiful view of the ocean, equipped with stocked mini bar & in room jacuzzi. It was rather lovely. What ticked me off were the number of ants that I saw taking over the sinks, showers, and even bed spreads which resulted in several bites throughout the course of our stay. And let's not forget the constant sound of moving furniture from the room above us during the morning hours. Needless to say, I didn't get a good night's sleep during our entire trip.

Pool/Beach: Beautiful, crystal clear ocean...no complaints. We were always able to secure a bed or a chair. On our last day there, Moses was even able to help us find a vip cabana to hang out in despite not having reserved it.

Service: Service was hit or miss. Unfortunately, I felt that for all of the good service that we had, it was overshadowed by the bad ones. Those bracelets were a PITA. I actually had to have mine replaced with one that I could slip on and off because it would scratch me in the middle of the night.

We had the green bracelets which were to signify that we were "platinum or diamond" members which I would think would elicit some sort of special acknowledgment from the staff. A simple smile with a greeting something along the lines of Hello Mrs. Sarina H....would have been nice. No dice. I felt like a number (0020), rather than a guest at the hotel.

For the days we did have them on, we were stopped at every turn and asked for our room numbers.

For the 1 time I forgot mine, and had to turn around to get it, we were confronted by a fellow who made me feel like I was a criminal for forgetting it even after apologetically stating that it was an accident. He asked my husband if he had booked the room for 2 people, kind of insinuating that he had just found me walking the street or something. After saying yes, and showing him his wrist band, the fellow asked if he was "sure". Really? I've never been made to feel that small in my entire life.

Entertainment: I enjoyed the different dance performances throughout the course of the week. Having drinks brought to us while we enjoyed them was also a plus. No complaints here.

Quality of Food: Consistency is something to strive for at the hotel, especially with the f&b program. We had some great meals, some good meals, and rather weak ones.

Tacos at the Pelicanos, as well as the guac & chips were always a hit; so was everything we ordered at Maria Marie (sopas, tortilla soup, salmon veracruz & chicken w/mole), as well as the breakfast buffet at spice. The more inedible offerings we experienced included overcooked fish at Asiate & something resembling sushi (but wasn't). Snacks & pastries at the coffee house ran the gambit I thought. Ice creams were always top notch - especially that coconut one. However, things like the eclair was down right too sweet & did not resemble anything like pate a choux. We also had mixed experiences with room service. Eggs were delicious, but things like waffles, muffins & croissants were not. The fruit pearls always came smashed for whatever reason. Why they decide to serve half of the things they do is beyond me.

After staying at several high end Hyatt properties throughout the world (most recently Paris Place Vendome & Grand Hyatt Bangkok), I was expecting a level of service that was certainly not provided at the Hyatt Zilara. I really wished I hadn't spent so much money & points there..especially considering I could get a room at the Park Hyatt Place Vendome for 30000 a night! Oh well, you live & you learn. We will definitely not be returning that's for sure.

14  Thank Sarina H

Dear Sarina H,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your detailed and candid review. We value our guests feedback, especially from loyal guests, such as yourself. This enables us to detect the problem areas and help improve our services.

We apologize for not reaching your expectations during your visit. Our team has reviewed your concerns and rest assure that immediate and appropriate action have been taken in order to avoid a similar circumstance.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy the accomodations as well as the service by the pool, we will make sure to let Moses know about your kind words.

Our only interest at Hyatt is to satisfy our guests´ and deliver an exceptional experience.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback and we hope that you can give us a second chance in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I just returned from a weekend at the Hyatt Zilara (formerly THE ROYAL Cancun) and here is my honest review.

First of all, let me be upfront and tell you that I am a travel agent. I went to this resort because I have 12 couples booked here in May. With the change of ownership, I just wanted to make sure that everything is still up to the same standards as the Real Resort. I was not disappointed.

Check-In: We were met with champagne and led over to a table in which the concierge asked us about our preferred pillows, when we would want have maid service, and what kind of aromatherapy for the room. We also were able to make reservations for dinners right then. Not all restaurants require reservations but since we were there for only 2 nights, I wanted to try one of the specialty restaurants. We chose Maria Maria (more on that later)
Our room was not ready until 3:00pm. I don't know why everyone makes such an issue about their room not being ready until later in the afternoon. Check-out is at 11:00am, they clean the rooms, and then they check you in. Just come prepared . . . we packed our swimsuits on the outside pockets of our carry-ons, changed, and got on with our weekend. It really is no big deal!

Room: We stayed just in the entry-level Junior Suite. If you cannot afford to upgrade, don't worry! Every room at this resort is ocean front! The view, as you can tell from my pictures, is absolutely amazing. There is a large spa tub right in the bedroom. We never used it. Some people love them, some people hate them. I just don't really take baths on vacation. The shower was huge with about 6 different water spout and it is big enough for two. The drains are not that great and the water did stand a bit but once the water was turned off, it drained rather quickly.
There is a mini-bar in the room stocked with name brand liquors, beers, soda, juices, and water. There was also a full bottle of wine waiting for us.
Turn down service was fantastic and little candies were left each night.

Service: I cannot say enough about the service at this resort. Every single waiter, housekeeper, concierge, bartender . . .everyone went out of their way to make sure that they gave us the best service possible. There is a pool waiter that walks around and will clean your sunglasses. The waiters hand out frozen grapes. They all are just great.
In particular, we loved Felipe at the Lobby Bar. He was so much fun and really made us feel so special. I loved talking to Felipe about his family and about Don Julio Real (ha!). I also loved Nava's mojitos down at the beach bar. They were great!

Food: This is the one area where I can't go on and on. In all honesty, I was just there for 2 nights so I don't have a huge selection. Some of the standouts were the Mexican Coffee at Tapas & Pinxtos, my husband loved the tuna at Maria Marias, the flank steak tacos at Pelicano's were great as was the guacamole. I wish we could have tried the Chef's Table . . .another reason to go back.

Entertainment: There are nightly shows in the lobby along with other special theme nights (ie Disco night, etc). The flamenco dancer and singer were fantastic. Him singing Ava Maria was unforgettable. I also enjoyed fondue night. There is also a lady who rolls some fantastic Cuban cigars. She is great.

Beach: The beach is wide and gorgeous. The chairs are nice and the beach service was great. The ocean was very rough and not very swimmable but you can't judge that because next week, it could be great!

Location: This resort is only about 15 minutes from the airport. It has a great, walkable beach. If you want to venture out, feel free to jump on the city bus for only $1 and go to local restaurants, bars, and shops.

If you have any particular questions about this resort, please feel free to message me.

7  Thank Aprilhendrix9

Dear Aprilhend...,
First of all thank you for recommending Hyatt Zilara Cancun to your clients and thank you very much for sharing this honest and positive review on your recent stay.
It was an honor to host you and we are glad to read you had a great time with us.
Please rest assured we will make sure to share your encouraging words with our associates especially Felipe and Nava, who will surely be proud they were able to assist in making your stay memorable.
We are looking forward to pampering your clients in May and hope you will allow us the privilege of hosting you again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our 8th trip to Cancun (Jan 9-12), we have previously stayed at Live Aqua, Grand Park Royal, JW Marriott, Westin, Riu Palace, and Moon Palace. For comparison, to date we only liked Live Aqua better than the Zilara and because of the Zilara's swim-up suites it would be hard to stay anywhere else. There are definitely things Zilara needs to improve on but overall it was a great trip.

Check-in: One thing to note, this is an "open air" lobby/common air hotel, meaning, this area and the lobby bar area is not air-conditioned. This wasn't an issue in Jan but it must get really hot in the summer/late spring months (we stayed at a similar hotel in Cabo in Sept and it was awful, the only places to escape the heat were inside the restaurants or your hotel room). We would not stay in this resort during anything but winter months for that reason. We arrived around 12:15p, I had completed the online check-in so arrived thinking it would only be a matter of minutes to pick up our keys and bracelets (which they said would be "waiting" when I did the online check-in). Not true. The first person we spoke to looked up the reservation, indicated because we upgraded our room we had our own personal check-in and escorted us across the hotel (I assumed this would make it faster). We then had to wait about 20 min for the people in front of us to finish (there was one person checking in these rooms, there were about 8 people free in the regular check-in area that were waiting to check in all other guests, they apparently cannot check in the people staying in the swim-up suites). We then had to go through the entire check-in process that I did online (I told Monica, who was helping us, that I did the online check-in but she apparently still had to go through the entire process - no idea why). Our room wasn't going to be ready until 3p (it was now about 1p) so we made our way to the lobby bar for a drink.

Lobby bar/pool/beach area: Lobby bar is fun and staff is very helpful/friendly. There is the normal alcohol you find at all inclusive hotels, the drinks were definitely not "watered down" and a tip: we bring our own large, insulated tumblers and they are more than happy to fill them with whatever you want. The lobby bar is typically pretty lively and we met many other guests there to share a cocktail and great conversation. We never found a time the bar wasn't staffed - there was even staff there at 6:30a. There are a bunch of cushy couches/chairs in the lobby bar area (there were usually always open seats, the only time it may have been tight was during the nightly lobby-area shows). People can smoke there and I truly hate smoke but it was never an issue, there are large patio doors in 3 sections so it is well ventilated with the ocean air blowing through.

The pools are really great and one of the best things about the resort. The main pool is well heated (I hate cold pools and had no trouble getting in!) and the swim-up suite pools are as well (note, it isn't common for hotels to heat pools in Cancun and in the winter pools will be cold if they aren't heated). There were plenty of chairs available and the "towel game" didn't seem to be nearly as bad as we have seen in other resorts. We used our chairs outside of our suite but other guests we met said they had no issues getting great spots without having to reserve chairs at the crack of dawn. The activity pool always had volleyball or some type of water sport going on and the louder crowd seemed to migrate over there, the main pool and areas in front of the spa were very relaxing, calm and had plenty of space. The swim-up bar needs a serious overhaul, it is in a weird spot, and the backdrop is the back of the Pelicanos restaurant cooking area which is so odd and it is pretty small considering it is the only one for all the pools. You can get whatever drinks you want there and the staff was great but it is the sorriest swim-up bar we have encountered in all our trips. The beach is really nice and very large, there are tons of chairs and beds available.

One thing to note (and was somewhat annoying to us), they do not serve snacks by the pools and you cannot bring anything out of the restaurants, and there is no casual-eating food area by the pool where you can just get a quick snack and take it to your chair. Every AI resort we've stayed at either serves food to the pool area or has an area where there are snacks somewhere in the pool area and you can fix a plate and take it to wherever you are sitting. You have to actually go into one of the restaurants and sit down to eat (or order room service). Hyatt should consider changing this and providing some type of snack menu for the pool area. There is also a bar underneath on the way to the beach area, similar situation as the swim-up bar, very small and appears to be kind of an afterthought.

The food: We can't comment much about the food, we only ate at Spice (buffet) and Pelicanos, the restaurant by the pool. The food at Spice was average to good (one thing that is so weird, I had to ask for chips and guacamole - we have never been to a resort in Mexico where they don't have a salsa bar type situation and one of the things I look forward to most when we go is chips and fresh guac). I don't eat beef or pork and still had enough options to find plenty of things to eat from the buffet. The food at Pelicanos was good, we had breakfast there twice and liked it both times. We also ordered room service once and it was good. We aren't big eaters and don't expect Zagat-rated type food at an all-inclusive so for us would have to be really bad for it to impact our stay. There was also food and drinks available at the 24-hour lounge (which is air conditioned and quite nice - pool table, darts, ping pong, large TVs, leather couches/chairs, etc). The coffee bar was fine, the cups they use for coffee are tiny so I just ordered two at a time. They also had smoothies that looked good but they were out of milk when we wanted those and said it would be an hour to get one (weird) so we moved on.

The swim-up suite: The room is nice, nothing fancy in terms of decor or anything but decent size. The shower was nice with the different heads and steam option (which worked really well), had no issue with water temp. The hotel is quite a few years old and is showing its age in terms of decor, fixtures, tile, etc. (in our opinion) but nothing that would prevent us from coming back. The bed is a bit hard (for me), it was fine for my husband. They made a big deal of us selecting pillows at check in and then didn't bring them until like 9p (bizarre) and we were already in bed. Our suite was just to the right of the lobby if you are looking out the hotel (toward the pool from the lobby), this is the non-smoking, quiet side of the resort (there are also swim-up rooms farther to the right, next to the spa and then on the other side by the activity pool which is smoking and where you will absolutely hear a lot of noise from the pools and the "shows" they do every night). We LOVED having our own chairs, patio area and pool. This was our favorite feature of the hotel and of any hotel we've stayed in. It was so great not to have to drag all our stuff to the pool area, keep track of all of it all day, worry about misplacing things, etc. We listened to our own music using a blue tooth speaker, ordered room service and ate it on our loungers, swam over to the main pool many times, etc. It was PERFECT. If you are "pool people" like we are I cannot recommend this option enough! Worth every single penny.

The staff/service: Almost everyone we encountered was fantastic and very eager to assist. They did pester us about stopping by to get our "coupons" and some info about the restaurants, which we weren't interested in and also know this is where they talk to you about timeshares. They called our room daily to "remind" us and we just said we would stop by (kind of annoying but I get it). We wanted an extra hour for check out and they said it absolutely could not be done (I offered to pay for it). They apparently need 3 full hours to clean a room. You also pick your timeframe for daily housekeeping but they did not come during those hours so we just had them switch our our towels and empty our trash. We didn't really need anything and don't like working on someone else's schedule while on vaca.

All in all, we liked the resort a lot, the staff is great, the pools are awesome and we had mostly-positive experiences. So, in the winter months we would definitely return as long as we could get a swim-up suite on the quiet side of the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "spa side" are quiet and non-smoking. The closer to the spa the quieter it will be.
4  Thank tlyp

Dear tlyp,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write this detailed review about your past stay at Hyatt Zilara Cancun!
We very much appreciate you sharing your comments as it allows us to know which our areas in need of improvement are. Please rest assured that all concerns you raised have already been addressed with the corresponding departments for their immediate follow up.
We are pleased to read that overall you still had an excellent stay and are very much looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards,