“Scam all-inclusive” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Calgary, Canada
“Scam all-inclusive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Warning-you should read this before you book! I have traveled extensively and this is the worst run all-inclusive I have ever been to. There are so many negative things that it is really too bad because like most people would agree if they have been to ME, that the property and hotel has so much potential.
1. There is no Alcohol, Bottled Water, soft drinks served after midnight-sharp! On weekends you can buy your drinks after midnight. This information is not on the official ME website or on trip advisor!!!! It clearly states that drinks are unlimited, first statement under description. However when you check in at you ALL-INCLUSIVE RESORT you will quickly find out the RULES on a printout sheet.
2. Check out time is 12 noon. They will take your all-inclusive wrist band at that time!!! So unless you fly out early afternoon, you will be stuck at the hotel with no room, and will have to pay for any food or drink! I have been to tons of all-inclusive resorts, you don't get to always have late checkout but you always get to use the resorts food, drink and shower services until your shuttled to the airport. We witnessed this problem all week and there was no compromising either. I became worried because we booked with Sun wing Vacations for a 7day all inclusive chartered vacation. Our reservation was Feb 11-18 but the flight times had us checking in at 2:30AM on the 12th and then checking out (shuttled out of the hotel) at 11PM on the 18th. So, THREE days before we left I decided that I would confirm that I would not lose my wrist band on the 18th because technically I did not check in on the day of the 11th and therefore was owed the all-inclusive benefits of the hotel until 11pm on the 18th.Honestly, this should not even be an issue. I paid for it! It ended up taking THREE days and on the last day after numerous battles (serious ones) they extended our wrist bands until 6pm (right before dinner) of course. Unreal!!!!
3. You can ask for a king size bed but you will probably not get one (most of us did not).We were on the 9th floor above the Rose bar. Bring Ear plugs because the music plays on the weekends until 5am and the walls are paper thin.
4. Rose bar is so busy on weekends that even at the bar you were lucky to get a drink per hour, the service was painfully slow, and I’m sure on purpose too. This bar is dead on the weeknights; again I'm sure on purpose so that they don't have to serve as much because it is so boring that no one wants to be there. They state there is premium booze but that is not included (Canadians there is rye but it will cost you, Crown Royal is not part of the ME package!!!)
5. You have to make reservations for all restaurants. Hope you like to eat at 6pm or really late. There is a line up to make reservations starting at 9am.Check your receipts because she had the wrong dates on two of them and therefore you will not get in.
6. Not enough beach and pool chairs. You have to get up by 7am to get some. Chairs on the beach are so uncomfortable and most are broken.
Adult pool only has beds that you have to pay for. The main pool is shaded by hotel by 2pm. You have to go down the beach to get sun until 4pm.
7. Elevators are a joke, and you cannot take the stairs. Trust me I tried, they will not let you.
8. During the day depending on the person, you were limited to only 2 bottles of water per person at one order. So if you wanted to bring some back to your room or to some friends. Forget it.
9. Large tips are needed to get good pool service.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank vacation062
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
Dear vacation062,

I would like to thank you for having written such a complete review. Thank you for having taken the time to point us out our areas of improvement. I would like to share with you some details which might be important to complete your review to other travelers. Upon check in we give our guests a welcome letter which includes the benefits they have depending on the type of room they reserve. Our check in and check out time are clearly stated in all our advertising, if occupancy allows us we grant our guests with late check outs, if not we always have our storage available for you to keep your bags and continue enjoying the hotel pool. We do our best to honor all our guests´ requests in regards to the type of bed; however sometimes it is impossible; however all our guests are notified that we will be able to change rooms as soon as we have availability in order to fulfill their request. I will definitely take your commentary of the slowness of the service in Rose Bar into deep consideration and share it with our Food and Beverage manager to review the process and work with our staff. We request our guests to make dinner reservations to restaurants in order to enhance their experience. I am deeply sorry that your reservations were wrongly made. We will follow up on this to ensure this does not happen again to you or to any other guests. I am deeply sorry for any inconveniences we may have caused to you. I can assure you our staff will work diligently to improve the areas of opportunity you have pointed out expecting you decide to come back and that you are satisfied with our service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Rochester Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Good:
-Beautiful Hotel
-Comfortable Beds
-Good Food at the four restaurants
- Excellent location
- Nice pool and beach area

Bad:
- Not typical "all inclusive" - you can not eat 24 hrs
-Slow Elevators
-Noisy (Hall & Lounge Music)
- No activities on the property
- Restaurant reservation system needs improvement (book two days and odd times)
- Hotel tends to cater more to "corporate" events - as far as space and dining requirements
- Inflated restaurant prices (do not tip 20% on these prices)
- Slow service in the "Silk" restaurant due to the cooking (two grills serve entire restaurant)
- Waiters tend to be rude and non caring at times.

1 Thank Traveler122364
Dear Traveler122364,

Thank you for taking part of your time to share your experience with other travelers. We thank you for sharing your feedback in order for us to identify areas of improvement within the hotel. I am very sorry in regards to the service received during your stay, but you can be sure we will work to make sure our guests perceive the service quality. In reference to the food service of our all inclusive, let me tell you that we have room service available 24hrs a day, so you can always ask for food or drinks. Thanks again for pointing our areas where we have to get better, whenever you are coming back, please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

We have never complained about a hotel before -- we're not the type to gripe about almost anything. That being said, the service at this hotel is absolutely terrible. It is completely disorganized, and they over-promise and WAY under deliver.

We booked a Loft Suite on the Level. The Level is a joke. It's actually more of an inconvenience than anything because the staff have no idea what they're doing up there. The drink when you check in? Nope, try getting nothing you need when you check in, and having to follow up several times for the all-inclusive wrist band (we were supposed to get this, we didn't), or anything else.

Ordering from room service? Expect to wait an hour or more and only get 1/2 of the items you ordered.

Yes, you have to pay $150 if you lose a wristband, or no more all-inclusive for you. That's ridiculous.

Half the staff tries really hard and once you lower your expectations to the floor, you'll be pleasantly surprised half the time. The other half is absolutely incompetent.

All of the policies at this hotel make it so that you're constantly jumping through hoops. It's a ton of work just to get the basic things you need. You have to make a reservation for the restaurants between 9am and 4pm -- but preferably before noon because all of the restaurants get booked by then. There is only one lady that does it. What happens if you leave for a day trip before 9am? You'll be eating room service and waiting an hour for food you didn't order, without the drinks you ordered. Then another half an hour for someone to come back up and fix it.

Or, take the "barefoot dinner". We called ahead and had it scheduled on Valentine's day. There are no signs and no directions on where to go, so we asked someone. On getting there, they asked us if we were somebody else, then figured there must have been a mix up (there usually is) and sat us. Another person started screaming at the host about something, so we sat at our table for 20 minutes without any service (no water, no bread, no menus, nothing). Then, he came to confirm our dinner choices -- at this point, we realized we must be at the wrong place. We confirmed we were at the "barefoot dinner", he wasn't sure, so went to check. Turns out, we were seated for the "romantic dinner" reserved for someone else. After another few minutes of utter confusion by the host, we were taken to our real dinner location, so we could wait another 20 minutes to be given the basics.

Another example: our third day, we went on a day trip to Isla Mujeres and left at 7am, so were unable to make dinner reservations (only opens at 9am). When we got back, we were encouraged to check with the restaurants. We arrived at 7pm and 2/3rds of the tables were empty, but we were told that they had absolutely no room. Over at the Water Grill, the hostess was gone and her book blew open and papers flew everywhere. We spent a few minutes running around grabbing them all for her, and gave them back when she showed up. An extra table? Sorry, we're completely booked. Can't fit you in.

Some of the staff are extremely rude, as well, treating us like idiots for asking for directions. Even the most basic requests are beyond the scope of the majority of the people who work there.

Another thing that's utterly ridiculous: the tipping. Yes, it's all inclusive, but expect to pay about 1/2 of what you would have, normally, in tips. We spend a few hundred dollars over 5 days. Absolutely everything you do involves a tip. Order a drink? Yes, that's a $15 drink. Our usual 20% tipping started adding up real fast. Or, a snack lunch? $80, on the fake tab. That 20% tip is about 1/2 of what you would have normally paid, elsewhere. It's not that this is bad, per-se, just that it wasn't expected after paying significantly more for an all-inclusive.

Or, the hotel bars/club. Sit down somewhere? No, you need to move over there. 30 minutes later, that's no longer an acceptable sitting spot either. It's not the fact that the bar uses their booths for club-like bottle service, it's the diminutive treatment you constantly receive that starts to grate.

Last gripe: We normally love a good party and hanging out at the various hotel bars. I was a professional DJ for 5 years -- loud music doesn't bother me. That being said, the music level, in the lobby area, on Friday and Saturday nights is REALLY loud. Be warned. Anybody over 40 or under 12 probably won't enjoy themselves.

TLDR; The location is stunning, the hotel is beautiful. The restaurant food is pretty good, if you can get a reservation. The atmosphere is fun for a younger couple or one that's young at heart, and would also be great for a bachelor(ette) party or group of friends.

BUT, the service is absolutely terrible a good majority of the time. Reserve everything before or as soon as you get there, know ahead of time that you will spend money on tips, and set your expectations REALLY low. That way, when you get there, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the decent service you get 1/2 the time.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank davidml
Dear davidml,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to share your feedback of your most recent stay. First of all I would like to start by apologizing for the fact that we did not fulfill your expectations and we did not deliver our promise of an experience beyond mere accommodation. I will be personally following up each of the areas of improvement you have pointed out to make sure this does not happen again to you or to any other guests. I will review myself our procedures at the level and the follow up our the level manager give to guests. I would like to share with you that all all inclusive resorts charge you in case you loose your band. We requests our guests´ to make dinner reservations in order to enhance their experience. I understand you found the reservations schedule inconvenient and we will most definitely take that into consideration in order to improve our service. We always save spaces in restaurants for those who did not make reservations; however I hope you understand the most popular times (between 7 and 9) are usually unavailable for walk ins because of the demand. I have shared your commentaries to our Food and Beverage Director in order to follow up on our Room service service. When it comes to tipping, I would like to share with you tipping is completely optional and related to the service you received. If you consider the service was good, tips will be appreciated however they are not mandatory. Thank you for sharing your feedback in regards to the volume of our music, we will be taking this into consideration for future action. We really hope you can give us another opportunity in the future to prove you that our main commitment is with your satisfaction. Please contact me if I can be of any more assistance.
Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

My husband and I just returned from one week at the ME Cancun resort in the hotel zone of Cancun. This hotel has recently become all-inclusive and we read recent reviews citing some of the issues that travellers had noticed. We were amazed that many of these problems had already been ironed out in the brief time since going all-inclusive.

Accomodation
We had a basic lagoon view room. It was a nice room and actually faced the ocean more than the lagoon. We enjoyed keeping our windows open and listening to the waves. The airconditioning worked well which I know is a common complaint travellers have on trip advisor. There are no balconies in the regular rooms which some people have found to be an issue but we didn't mind. We did not choose to upgrade to "the level" which gives you added benefits that can include a room with a balcony. We never had a sense of being left out or an exclusiveness at the resort. On the weekend we were not allowed in the beach club area without a cover charge so we simply used other areas of the resort on those days. It really wasn't a problem.
Do bring your earplugs for sleeping, the noise carries in the hallways and the doors tend to slam. Perhaps the hydraulics could be adjusted? Realistically, my husband and I make earplugs a must at any hotel and have never had the noise issues I read about on trip advisor. You never know what conference or party is going to be happening at any resort.

Restaurants
We tried all of the the restaurants at the resort (Salt, Silk, Water Grill and Beach House). The food was great and not just by all-inclusive standards. All of the meals we had were very satisfying and we did not have trouble getting reservations although I could not make the entire weeks worth of reservations at once. There were several comments on trip advisor about how long it would take to complete a meal in the restaurants during the day and a lack of hot dogs and hamburger option by the pool. Obviously, this hotel takes these comments seriously because we never waited for any length of time for lunch and there was a grill set up by the pool with burgers and dogs.

There are two restaurants by the water. The Water Grill and the Beach House. Our favorite restaurant was the Water Grill. We ate dinner there twice and often breakfast and lunch. The open-air setting by the ocean is beautiful and the service and food was great. Lunch and breakfast at the Water Grill were a smaller buffet with orders from the grill (fried eggs, omelettes) gives you all you need for a satisfying meal.

The main breakfast buffet was great. We loved the made to order waffles, crepes and pancakes. Also the banana bread french toast was fabulous!

We went to the saturday night dinner buffet (we were told that there was not an a la carte restaurants option offered for dining on Saturday). The dinner buffet was lacking in variety compared with other all-inclusives, but the fajitas were good. This was my least favorite meal of the trip. I would have liked an a la carte option on the Saturday.

Resort
The resort is immaculately maintained and has a very swanky/sexy feel to it. This isn't really the place for families with young kids or people who think it is acceptable to go to a nice dinner in sweat pants. The guests were generally between the ages of 25 and 45 years old which seems to be a little younger than the average age at other resorts. This seems to be the clientele to which this resort is marketing. The resort was not very rowdy at night. The Rose Bar had a fun 80's, 90's night with a DJ which was fun.

There seemed to be an even distribution between pool and beach people. You do have to arrive early to get your chair but we found that some chairs freed up after lunch on the beach and we never went very long without one. As is typical in many all-inclusives, people leave their towels on a chair for hours and never show up to use it. This sucks when others could be enjoying that chair. It is nice to not have a towel card at this resort, however, it seems to create a lot more work for staff who have to pick up what seems like hundreds of abandoned towels at the end of each day and also perpetuates people saving spots (probably in multiple places) that they do not use. Each day we were on the beach for 6 hours staring at dozens of chairs saved with towels that no one claimed the entire day we were out there. The beach water and sand is so beautiful that we never went into the pool. The lovely Sylvie(?) made sure we always had a drink in our hands on the beach. You must be careful on the beach, there is an undertow and we saw the lifeguards rescue a few people during our week. No serious injuries. This looked to be the case along the entire stretch of beach and most major resorts had lifeguards on duty. The locals selling merchandise on the beach were not at all aggressive and a simple "no gracias" worked well to send them away.
The resort is a short walk to the malls if you fancy a little shopping. Also a short cab ride to head to the clubs at night.
The cheque signing with every drink and meal for the all-inclusive is an odd thing to do and took a little getting used to. It appeared that many guests were not on the all-inclusive plan but rather the European plan and perhaps this helped them to keep it all straight. You are given a bracelet on arrival so I am not sure about the need for the cheque. I hope when I return to ME Cancun (and I plan to) that they have done away with the signing. I read others reviews that also stated they were not charged at the end of their stay for the tips they added to the cheque. We decided to provide our tips in cash rather than on the cheque to ensure they received this gratuity. This worked well. The only difficulty was the availability of small change at the front desk, had to go most days to freshen up the supply.

The resort feels very safe and there is a security guard on site and cameras on the beach.

There are plenty of computers available in the e-space cafe and we did not have trouble accessing our email on a regular basis.

On our last day we had time to kill after our wristbands were cut off and before our ride to the airport arrived. We decided to listen to the resort timeshare presentation (they have an office set up in the hotel). We did not feel any heavy pressure and they accepted our "no gracias" with this as well without any discomfort.

Overall, we loved this resort and plan to return. The service and food was a cut above any other all inclusive we have been to. My husband and I felt it was as advertised on their website.

1 Thank vidovic11
Dear vidovic11,

Thank you for sharing this detail review of our Resort, it´s as comments such as yours that we continue offering experiences beyond mere accommodation, we take your commentaries into deep consideration as a commitment we have with our guests . I’m really happy to read that your experience was great, thank you for sharing your feedback with other travelers. Be sure that Sylvie will receive your good commentaries about her. It will be an honor to have you back soon, whenever you are coming back do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.
NY, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

ME is a beautifully designed Hotel, but there are some things that needs to be corrected before I would ever stay there again;

1. Non-Smokers, Stay Away! People are smoking everywhere and the ventilation system in the room actually pulled the smoke from other rooms INTO my room.

2. The slowest Elevators that I have encountered in a resort in many years (5 to 10 min waits not unusual). It was actually the source of many jokes between residents. ME needs to fix this.

3. "All Inclusive" is not all inclusive... well it sort of is... ME has a weird system where you have to sign for every purchase and "tip" (the Purchase amounts are not added to your bill...but the Tips are.). Thats great for a regular resort, but the whole idea of an "All Inclusive" is that it is "All Inclusive". That means no signing and tips are included (or added at the end).

4. The Food is just OK. Its not bad, its not great.

5. Reservations for Dinner are oddly hard to get. Typical seating times are 7pm & 10pm. The reservation staff seems 'put-out' by audacious requests like "what restaurant can accommodate me at 8?".

6. My Room was small, but Beautiful (Loft Level Suite). The view & outside bed was wonderful. However, when you spent some time in the room, you noticed that it has seen some 'rough' use. The walls had strange red marks on them...many surfaces were stained and scratched and my metal Bathroom Trash Can looked like it was rolled in the 'Indy 500'. Additionally, my Bedside Phone had to be replaced and the TV Remote Control only worked periodically. Lastly, my mini-bar was not restocked on the last night. Beware of the expensive "up-sell items" on the counter!

7. Warning: The Rooms are not soundproof! I heard many details from the room next door and, no doubt, they heard some from mine.

Besides these items; The Hotel is quite nice (excellent Interior/Exterior design, although there are -oddly enough- only a few Balconies facing the Ocean). The Pools are nice, there are many places to relax, several "Adult" areas (which is nice) and the Beach is lovely. Most of the Staff was very nice and tried to be accommodating. If these items are addressed, the ME will be quite a nice Resort. Without it.... I would probably consider another Hotel on the strip.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank morleyct
Dear morleyct,

Thank you for pointing us where we need to get better, in order to identify problems into the Hotel, that’s the reason we really appreciate all your reviews. In regards to signing checks I would like to share with you this is an internal procedure for control, to ensure noone else charges anything to your room. I am really sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused to you. In regards to your commentary about the slowness in the elevators, please accept my apologies for this situation but be sure that our maintenance team is working on it, to end with this problem.
We hope you can give us another opportunity in the future to change the impression left on you; let me know if there´s anything you may need, our staff will work diligently to ensure your experience.
Fairview, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

This hotel is very nice and super clean. I was looking for more of a relaxed beach atmosphere, and this hotel is high class, and a little stuffy. The breakfast and lunch were good, but you have to make reservations for dinner. It took two and half hours to have dinner 4 of the 6 nights we were there. Service people were very nice, but getting food was extremely slow, and it just isn't worth the wait. The beach was absolutely the BEST!! And the pool was wonderful. The hallways outside the rooms are extremley noisy...Take earplugs. Overall a good experience, but I think on my next stay, I'll be looking for a more laid back, good time, caribbean, atmosphere.

1 Thank KanKan89
Dear Kankan89,

Thank you for taking part of your valuable time for sharing your feedback with other travelers in order to give them a broader vision about our resort. It´s very nice to read that you enjoyed our atmosphere and you really like our facilities. In regards to your commentary about the slowness of service, let me tell you that we are working on it to obtain the complete satisfaction of all our guests. I am really sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused during your stay. We really hope to host you again in the future and if I can be of any assistance, please contact me, it will be a pleasure to assist you.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

Just returned from the ME and also read mixed reviews before going so wasn't sure what to expect. In my opinion, everything was great and this hotel is gorgeous inside and out.

Pros: Great restaurants and great food for being an all-inclusive. For all the people who complain about the food or drinks not being up to standard, those people must be really used to high-class living and dining. I've stayed at other all-inclusives in Cancun and the atmosphere of each restaurant at the ME, plus the food and service, was better than any other I've experienced. We were able to get any type of drink we wanted except the wine selection is very limited. The service was also a lot better than I expected after reading the reviews. The waiters at lunch or dinner let you order as much as you want and the drinks kept coming. Around the pool and beach, the waiters were always coming around and bringing drinks back in a timely fashion. The only thing that cost extra is if you want to order food at your chair by the pool and have it brought to you. Although, there is a pool side grill where you can walk up (if your not in the mood to sit down and dine) and get hamburgers, hot dogs and chicken wings and carry it back to your chair. Not sure why people are so lazy to complain that they can't eat by the pool when you clearly can. As far as having to sign for everything, yes it can be annoying to have to do that but its really not that big of a deal and we did not receive any extra charge for anything at the end of our trip. We tipped in cash to avoid having a bill at the end. As far as tipping goes, its not clear whether or not its included but it makes sense to tip since you usually tip extra anyway when your not at an all-inclusive and its common courtesy. We didn't mind tipping as long as we got great service. The $5 room service fee isn't that big of a deal either. One time when we ordered, they only charged us for 1 person when we got food for two. It's worth it compared to how much food and drinks cost outside of the hotel if you go out to eat. We went to Hooters for lunch one day across the street at the La Isla mall and paid $60.00 for 2 people to eat with one cocktail. Having the all-inclusive was totally worth the money since apparently the prices at the restaurants in Cancun have gone up over the years. The hotel is also very beautiful and has a calm and relaxing atmosphere to it. We were dreading returning home the entire time. The rooms were clean and nice and looked how they did in the pictures online. Loved the big rain shower and aveda products and bathrobes.

The hotel did have a few Cons but nothing big enough where I wouldn't recommend staying here. The check-in process is very slow and you do have to return back to the desk to get your room key at 3pm if you check in before that. They should have a seperate line for guests who just need to get their keys if they already checked in. Luckily the woman who was passing out welcome drinks, helped us get our room key without having to rewait again in the long line. They did give us our all-inclusive braclet though at 12pm so we could get lunch by the pool before our room was ready which was a plus. The other big con is the dinner reservations. You need to make a reservation to eat dinner every night and make sure you do that early. If you can, I would make a reservation for all your nights ahead of time at once. Silk seems to be the most popular place to eat and you need to book that in advance or the only times that will be open are after 10pm. The Beachhouse and the Water Grill were good though and more fun to eat right on the ocean. Also plan on getting up by 7am to reserve a chair by the pool. By 9pm all the chairs are taken but only because people must have gotten up to lay a towel down on them then went back to bed because the pool is half empty which is annoying. There are a lot of open chairs on the beach though and you can get drink service down there too. The noise level in the rooms wasn't the greatest but nothing that caused me to not get sleep. If you have a room on the 1st floor right over the rose bar then you might have a problem because they play loud music and you can definately hear it through the floor but luckily our room was further away from it. Overall, we were very happy and had a great time for a great price. Its a great hotel for couples or adults over 21 but I wouldn't recommend it for families with younger children.

5 Thank chigirl1424
Dear chigirl1424,

I would like to thank you for dedicating part of your valuable time on writing to us. We are very happy to read that you really enjoyed our hotel and service. Thank you too for pointing out our areas of improvement, be sure we are going to take it into consideration in order to get better and fulfill our guests expectations. We hope you come back soon, it will be an honor to serve you.