“Beautiful place, staff not the best”
Review of ME Cancun

ME Cancun
Ranked #38 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Chicago, Illinois
“Beautiful place, staff not the best”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I came here on business. I know, not your normal place for work but its what they chose so I went with it.

PROS:
-The rooms: BEAUTIFUL views! I had an ocean view and it was amazing. You could see the pool and the ocean perfectly. The curtains did a nice job blacking out the sunlight as well.
The temperature was a bit cold but you had control so it was fine. I had a couch and dining table in my room that were nice to have. The mini bar was nice, always stocked with drinks and a small snack (there was other stuff as well for purchase).
-All inclusive: awesome. The service was great for an all inclusive. There are drinks and snacks that can be ordered poolside, all of the restaurants and bars and even room service (there is a $5 charge on each time you order).
You can even tip on the bill and they just have you pay at the end of your stay (although they say tipping is not necessary).
-Spa: I had a deep tissue massage. Alejandra was awesome, I definitely recommend her. Wasn't too expensive and the tip is included. You also get to use the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna while you wait or after your massage. Its definitely worth it.
-Fitness center: Open 24hrs!! Great when you're working and have weird hours off. Has tons of cardio equiment, free weights, weight machines, yoga mats, step boards.
-Salt Restaurant: DELICIOUS! Best paella I've had in years. It also had the best service of all of the restaurants.
-Brunch: It is a buffet in the Salt restaurant. It has every food you could imagine. Omelette bar, smoothie bar, french toast, pancakes, chilaquiles, oatmeal, etc. The list is endless!

Meh's:
-Beachhouse Restaurant: Nothing to rave about. For Mexico, their Mexican food was pretty terrible. I'm white from Chicago and can make much better food. It was edible just not thrilled about it.
-Room Service: Good food but for the $5 charge, the quality just wasn't up to par.
-Pool/Beach: I loved the pool and the beach was gorgeous but there just aren't enough chairs for everyone. Everything was taken by 10am and if you wanted a spot, you had to pay for bottle service. I ended up waiting until the afternoon to lay out when some people had left.

CONS:
-Internet: The wifi was just awful. They had four access points and you never knew which one to connect to! The first day I had no connectivity in my room, which is so frustrating, You were better off going to the computers they had for public use. But good luck trying to log in. None of the staff I asked knew the password and I had to ask a couple of guests before I could get in successfully.
-Staff: not terribly friendly. Yes, they are polite but they all seemed irritated when you asked for help or had to use a service. Of course, there were exceptions (especially at the restaurants) but overall I felt like I was burdening them when I approached someone.
-Restaurants: You cannot go to a restaurant at night without a reservation. I think they should reserve some space for walkins. As I was working the whole time, I did not know when I would make it back from the office so I did not want to make reservations. I ended up eating room service more than I would have liked to because they didn't have any open seats at any of the restaurants. I can't imagine I was the only person who felt this way.
-Confusion: I was confused for most of the time spent at ME. The hotel is just not intuitive. They have someone explaining the all inclusive but they just don't do a great job. I had a hard time finding how to get out to the pool, the password on the public computers, on which of the four wifi access points to connect to, on where the restaurants were, on how to work the TV/Cable/DVD player, how to turn on the shower, etc. Everything just seemed to be opposite of common sense.

Overall I liked spending time in Cancun so that took over my experience. As far as the resort, I think there are so many other options with comparable prices that you're better off trying one of the resorts that had everyone raving about the food/staff/beach. That's really all you need when at a beautiful place like Cancun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear Leela L
Thank you very mcuh for having taken the time to write a review for other travelers to read about your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your overall experience in the hotel and I deeply apreciate that you point out some possible areas of improvement within the hotel. I can assure comments like your are very important for us in order to take the necessary corrective measures to improve our services and product. I have shared your comments regarding the gastronomical experience at Beach house and room service to our executive chef. As for seating in our restaurants we do save spaces for walk ins however most popular dinner times (between 7:30 and 9:00) are usually quickly filled up. I hope you were not too inconvenienced. As for the friendliness of our staff I would like to present my most sincere apologies, we are a brand based in the personalization of service and the emotional conection of our staff and I apologize for not having been able to deliver that to you. I will definetely follow up on your commentaries regarding our wifi conectivity and the lack of information in the hotel. I will make sure we work on this so that no other guest feels confused as you did. I apologize for this. I apreciate that you enjoyed your overall experience and hopefully you choose to stay again with us in order to prove that we are able to gain you back as a customer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,199)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My husbnd and I spent 4 days at this resort .Very nice grounds , excellent service. Staff was very helpful and friendly . Food is great! Everything was a la carte . We only ate at the two restaurants that have no dress code , because we DO NOT believe in taking anything but shorts and t- shirts when we are on vacation. Service at the beach was excellent ! Nice drinks by Daniel n Carlos our glasses were never empty , this two guys really work hard to make guest feel good at the beach =)
Also servers at restaurants veru very fast and courteous. Staff is really customer service oriented
will def return to this hotel . Location is great! short walk to La Isla and PLaza Kukulkan
Checking in n out was fast and friendly , this is actually the 1st Hotel that doesn't give me a hard time when I show them my Elite Customer Card by Expedia , the gave me late checkout free of charge and hassle. Definitely a great resort . My only complain was the bed , not very comfortable due to sinking holes on both sides , my husband's and mine . Other than that everything was great !

Dear bongo45
Thank you very much for sharing you experience! I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will share your feedback with our staff so that they can keep up the good work. I apreciate your commentaries regarding the bed in your room. To tell the truth I am pretty surprised since we are famous for the comfort of our beds, since they have a perfect feather bed mattress cover to provide even more plushness so I apreciate that you share this with us so we can check the bed in your room and ensure its comfort. I truly hope you choose to stay with us again in the near future.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We have travelled to many all inclusive resorts. We are a couple in our late 30's and this has been the best vacation. Guillermo on the 10th floor is mindboggling amazing!! offering to even pick up something we forget at another Hotel in Playa Del Carmen for us.!! The service is simply wonderful!! our room is gorgeous~ We have been to Cancun so many times and we just cannot go to the big clubs with all those people. This hotel is the first hotel that has a wonderful Disco with DJ's just enough people that you are not stuck to each other ( like in the clubs) and this goes on to two in the morning daily~~ We liked it so much we extended out trip another week. Normally by now I'm sick of something.. Its just not happening!! thank you to all the staff. one thing that I should mention is there is no buffet... The bar boss!! manager ( I am sorry I forget his name) he is just wonderful anything you need he is there always in a good mood. He stays until the end every night!! We call his bar boss!!!!

Room Tip: We have travelled to many all inclusive resorts. We are a couple in our late 30's and this has b...
Dear Denise D
I deeply apreciate that you posted a review for millions of travelers to read about your experience! I am glad to read you enjoyed it so much. We are working hard to be known as the place to party with style, and I am glad to know that we were able to reflect this for you. I deeply apreciate that you acknowledge the service of our staff and most definetely look forward to hosting you back in the future.
houston
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I've been to quite a few all inclusive resorts, and there were a couple of things about this place that I just didn't like. I do want to stress that this is a beautiful facility with an amazing view of the beach. The water at this part of the beach is picturesque!! Despite that, I think this place does not allow for that romantic/intimate time with your spouse. This is a good place for younger couples or those who want to party more, since it's extremely close to clubs in Cancun.

Major disappointments:

FOOD!! A lot of reviews discuss the importance of making reservations for any of the restaurants, and that is true. The beach restaurant had a good lunch, but dinner service was not impressive. They offer family style eating, which comes from a selected food choice already. But, for a Mexican restaurant, and being from Texas, the food was okay...I think the main frustration was that it took almost two hours to receive our food at a place that was not even full. I understand "island time" and I get that things can run slower at these types of places, but this was truly ridiculous. So much so, that members of our party went to the buffet by the pool and brought us back plates of food. The next day, we tried the other place "Silk" for their Asian cuisine. Once again, we waited another two hours for our food to arrive and the food was horrible. We were in a large party, of about 12, and no one in our group could complete their meal. Some people had a difficult time distinguishing if their food had meat or not. Just not appeal at all!! If the food was better at this resort, I could have honestly given it a better review. I spoke to other individuals who were staying at the resort, and most of them ate their dinner and lunch at restaurants outside of the hotel. Since this is an all inclusive hotel, the food and service should be better, especially for the price!

Breakfast buffet was the highlight of all the restaurants they have to offer!! Amazing selection of food, with lots of fruit, meat, cheese, breads, cereals, yogurt...anything you could think of! Really good food and service!!!

Room Service: You are informed ahead of time that you will be charged for $5 for room service. The catch is that every time you call room service, they will charge you $5. So, if you place an order and forgot to add orange juice to you order, you call back to add it, and now you must pay $10. Additionally, you must pay in cash; they will not bill it to the room. One of my friends only had a $20, and the waiter told him that they do not provide change, and took the money as payment.

Bill at all restaurants: Anywhere you go for food, you are given a check that you must sign. It takes a lot of time to actually get the bill and fill it out. It's basically done for tips.

Beach service: Waiters on the beach are amazing! For faster service, you should tip them in cash! It makes a huge difference!

Beach and pool areas: Not enough beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels. With so many people at this resort, it was frustrating that they did not offer more. Additionally, some chairs and beds are reservations only. Some areas on the beach require "bottle" service in order to utilize that area. We got to the pool at 8am, and people had already thrown towels on chairs to reserve them. Some pool area is reserved, once again, for "bottle" service.

First floor of hotel does not have AC: the entire lobby lacked ac, this includes their indoor restaurants. Like I previously stated, we are from Texas, so we can tolerate heat; however, everyone was sweating at the restaurants that took two hours to get food.

Thin Walls: You can hear conversations from the rooms next to yours. You can hear all the doors slamming, the music from the downstairs club, and maintenance work. Just prepare for the noise! Some rooms could with earplugs, so I guess that was a hint about the noise level....

I really wanted to like this place. I think this place could be better if they upgraded their food quality and took away the "exclusiveness" of certain parts of the beach and pool. If this is suppose to be all inclusive, then make it that!

Room Tip: My room was in the 240s...you may want to pick one on the opposite side to avoid having your room so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Madapple2009
Thanks for having taken the time to write such a detailed review of your most recent experience with us at ME Cancun. It is always important for us to recieve feedback from our guests. I would like to thanks you for your commentaries regarding your dining experience and the slowness of service. I am as of now working on and action plan with our F&B director so we can ensure this does not happen again. As for the room service charge, this is merely a service charge which you do not need to pay cash, if you let a credit card upon check in to open a line of credit in your room you will be able to charge to your room, however if you did not leave a credit card we are not able to charge that service charge to yur room unfortunately. As for the situation you report in which one of our staff members did not give the change back to your friend, I would greatly apreciate if you could share more details and information about this matter. We are a brand based in the personalization of service and we take pride on the emotional conection of our staff as well as their honesty and sense of commitment, if any of our staff is not portraying that attitude we are the very first interested in knowing in order to take the necessary corrective measures. We would have been pleased to assist your friend at the time if we had had a report of this unnaceptable situation. I can assure you we will follow up on this matter. We apreciate your commentaries and hope to have the chance to host you again in the future to prove that our main commitment is with you satisfaction and experience.
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at ME from April 8th to the 16th. Since the moment we got out the taxi, every employee at the hotel was just welcoming. The over all service was just amazing! And the food was just exquisite. Jose, the bartender at the Rose bar not only made the best drinks, but gave us the best service. We'll definitely go back to the ME and to visit the best bartender! :)

Dear Jesseniaquintero
Thanks for posting such a nice review! We are deeply happy to read about your experience and we apreciate that you chose to share it with other travelers. I will share your comments with Jose and the rest of our staff so they are encouraged to keep working hard towards our guests´ experience. We look forward to hosting you back!
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The property: Gorgeous. Plenty of pool space, pool chairs, beach space, beach chairs. Very comfy chairs all around and tons of daybeds with food/beverage service to the pool.

The rooms: regular rooms STINK (too tiny), the suites are OKAY (awesome balconies), the real world suite is GANGSTER if you can afford it. Very modern and sleek.

The food: not terrible for all inclusive. Not great, but not terrible. Not a lot of great choices if you dont like seafood, but the food is pretty decent. (You obviously end up ordering chicken quesadillas at every meal though bc its the most normal thing). Also not enough quick spots to order food.

Beverages: Good selection of alcoholic drinks but hard to get peoples attention to actually be served. i give it a POOR and facilitation of alcohol beverage drinking among guests. DO NOT drink the tap water (even if they say its purified) stick to bottled. They also RE-USE their plastic beer and water cups so stick to beer.

Good value.
Pros: Property, Beverages
Cons: Rooms, Service, Food.
Not getting my repeat business. Unless they comp the real world suite...

Room Tip: The suites are worth the extra $$ BC they have the balcony with the bed outside. HUGE balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CLonds
Dear CLonds
I apreciate that you took the time to write a review of your most recent stay with us. I am glad to read you enjoyed your suite and I agree with you that the SUITEME is simply amazing! I am sorry to read you were not to satisfied with our gastronomical proposal. Ou chef is always willing to prepare special dining selections for those with special dietary instructions or for those looking for something a bit more personalized. We would have been pleased to assist you if we had known. Among our 4 dining selections we offer mediterranean cuisine, asian fusion, mexican and southamerican, which is a wide variety of choices and different dishes, if you are more into quick spots to order food, ours include hamburguers, hot dogs, wood oven pizza, sandwiches, chicken wings among other choices at the cnakc bar by the pool or some salads, sandwiches and sweet treats at the E-space. As for your commentary that we re-use plastic cups, I would like to share with you that as per a security measure all glasses, cups and plates have to be made of plastic by the pool, this is in case any of these fall there would not be a security hazard in the area. We know there are plastic disposable cups, which are the ones one would use at a party at home but those are not ours. Ours are plastic cups, glasses and dishes which are made of strong materials to be reused, its our Cambro disware for the beach and pool areas. I am truly sorry to read you would not choose us again, we truly hope you choose to give us another chance in the future.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed 3 nights at ME. The hotel has a great design in all areas, the service is good but not great. We stayed in room 310, with a partial ocean view. My partner had organised a surprise spa couple treatment ($300 USD). I planned a surprise romantic dinner on the beach (300 USD). I was surprised not to be given an upgrade given all the extras that we were buying. First the guy at front desk forgot to take our credit card to charge the stay and open credit for us. we had also buy a champagne bottle and chocolate covered strawberries to be in the room when we arrived. When we got in the room there was only the champagne bottle. We called the concierge and were told that they did not have any strawberries. When trying yo book dinner only one restaurant had vacancy (water grill) the food was good but not outstanding. The second day we spend the day by the pool in a Bali Bed ($ 40 USD) on top of the all inclusive rate. At night we finally got the strawberries in the room. The romantic dinner was good and the spa was amazing. I organised from Australia via email to get menu number 2 on the romantic dinner, once there, they insisted to give me menu number 1 but the waiter went out of his way to get us what we wanted. Breakfast is very good. The second day we wanted to stay by the beach and there were no beds with an umbrella. When we asked the beach attendant he said very rudely that most costumers get up before 6 am to leave their bags in the beds and that he could not get any umbrella for us. we were really angry and went back to the pool area, again to the bed with extra charge. There were no beds in the adult area, except if you buy an extra bottle (around 100USD) a rip off taking in to consideration that we were paying an all inclusive rate. We stayed on the same bed as the day before paying $40 extra and waited nearly one hour to get a waiter to take a drink order. I expected super service after paying an extra fee. We had to get up three times to talk to the pool concierge, the manager and the quality manager of the hotel, still no service. After all the haze we needed a late check out until 2:00 to catch our flight. We received an straight NO from front office. I had to go over all the problems we had experienced to receive one hour tolerance. I am a hotel manager with experience in house keeping, food and beverage and front office and I expected better treatment from a five star hotel. I now from experience that the hotel system could give us a VIP status just taking into account all the extras that we were paying. In conclusion i find this hotel good but a rip off. we had stayed there before. A very special mention to Nedel and Diego attendants in the pool area! On a positive note, as a gay couple we felt welcome everywhere.

Dear Ernesto P
I deeply apreciate that you took the time to write a review of your stay with us. Comments like your are of great importance for us in order to identify possible areas of improvement within the hotel and act consequently to correct them. I am truly sorry to read you were not satisfied with your experience. I am deeply sorry for the situations that aroused with our front desk clerk who did not offer you to open a line of credit for you to be able to charge to your room and with our concierge who did not have the strawberries in your room as you had requested. I am also checking what happened with your menu choice to take the necessary corrective measures. I completely agree with you that you are paying for special services hence there has to be special attention put to these details. I would alsolike to take these chance to share with you we are a lifestyle resort which means we have on top of the all inclusive experience, a series of privileges and services available upon a charge. When it comes to the specific topicof bali beds I would like to share with you we have bali beds, day beds and lounge chairs along the main pool and beach area which are complimentary and first come, first serve. But we also have bali beds available upon a 40usd rental fee ( or bottle service on weekends at the beach club) which include a series of benefits sich as the personalized service of a waiter and pool concierge, as well as a top menu to order food right from your bed. Of course by reserving one of these you dont have the hassle of having to wake up early to save your bed, we do it for you. Hence we have a complimentary option for our guests, and also another choice to broaden their experience whch has an extra charge. I am sorry that the complimentary choice gets quickly taken. We deeply apreciate your comments and will take them into consideration for future action. We truly wok hard to build an atmosphere in which everyone can feel free to be who they are and be celebrated for it. I will be sure to share with Nedel and Diego your kind comments towards their service.