“Very Good Hotel with some indelicate restrictions.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ME Cancun

ME Cancun
Ranked #38 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Sao Paulo, SP
“Very Good Hotel with some indelicate restrictions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel is very nice! The atmosphere and decoration are modern and fancy. That is what I liked about it. Not that classical style, but a trendy one.
The breakfast was awesome!! With no doubt the best I ever had in so many trips!
What I didnt like about it: If you want a chair by the pool or at the beach (the hotel's chairs) you need to wake up very early to save your spot with a towel. So you will see lots of towels "sitting" on the chairs, with no one actually using it. Another option you have is to tip the guys from the hotel, and you wont have to worry about it - they will manage to find a chair for you. If you just ask them informaly, they will say there are no chairs available. Há! And there are some spots that you are not alowed do use, like sofas by the pool or beach. For that you will have to pay a rent for the day. So bottom line, what it was supposed to be a "All Included", it is not actually how it works.
Restaurants need reservation for dinner and requires men to where pants/ trousers. I personally didnt like it since hey, I am at the beach.
The overall experience was good! afterall, it cant go much wrong with that ocean view in front of you!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear Yeap
Thanks you for sharing the feedback on your most recent experience at ME.I would like to share we are a lifestyle resort which offers a complete me package but also has services and privileges which are available for those looking to broaden their experience. We apreciate your feedback and we thank you for having let us have an open communication channel with you. We look forward to hosting you back

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

When I booked this trip I was in dire need of a wonderful vacation and I knew exactly what I wanted: a place to be active (when I wanted), wind down, chill and be pampered (when I felt like it) with fun people, good service and a little bit of luxury without being pretentious. Quite precise and demanding? I was advised to go to the ME and let me tell you, I was not disappointed!!! I have never been so spoilt in my life!

I was sufficiently worried due to some of the negative reviews on Trip advisor: let me tell you, it is all about expectations and attitude. I travel all over the world, both for business ( I work in fashion) and for pleasure. I have stayed in the best hotels in the world and I do think that the ME absolutely lives up to them. It is for sure not your typical All-Inclusive, so this might deter some people, but was a definite plus for me!

From the moment I arrived the amazing team at the Level took care of me: Guillermo, Natalia, Jose and Sabrina were there any time I needed them. I wanted to change rooms for some minor issues and they made it so so easy and not awkward at all... Any time I needed something, like reservations, advice, help with my not-so-perfect travel agent, they were there for me. Towards the end i just went to see them every day just to have a chat, as they were such lovely people!

I loved my Loft suite and the hotel grounds and facilities: The beach area has sufficient loungers even during spring break and offers a variety of beds and lounges, all very stylish and cool. The Beach Bar is achingly cool and a meeting place for the locals and hotel guests. Whilst you might not be in the mood for it every day, it is good fun and makes you feel like a star! The service there is absolutely impeccable and Joel looked after me every day with great skill and a big heart. He often knew what I wanted before I did and made me feel special!

The restaurants are of outstanding quality. I live in London and am used to good restaurants like Nobu, Hakkassan etc, Silk really lived up to them and I really liked the pride the Peruvian chef took in his creations and Jorge, the head waiter presented the menu beautifully. Equal top marks to the Waterfront, with absolutely amazing steaks and meats (no wonder, the chef is Argentinian!) and the Beachhouse, with the Cevice sampler I got hopelessly addicted to.. I didn't have time to ry Salt in my week there...

The spa and water ritual are fabulous. I had four treatments, I really needed them. Every one of them was outstanding, the back massage for my knotty neck, the Aromatherapy massage to relax, the pedicure and the facial just before I left. I also loved the Yoga and Pilates classes and the ever-enthusiastic trainer Israel, who knocked us into shape every morning at eight!

As for the party time, very good too, although I was too exhausted by sun, sea, sports and food/drink to participate often. Loved the Rose Bar and especially Jose's bar skills. I was really into the daytime party atmosphere at the adult pool and beach, but don't worry you can easily opt out and hang out at another pool and/or beach area. The quality of the drinks and catering was by far superior to any other All-Inclusive I have ever been to, so I didn't mind paying regularly tips, although no one ever pressurised or encouraged me.

The majority of the guests are in their 20ies and 30ies, but being a fun-loving forty-something, this did not at all worry me, everybody communicated...

Finally I also met Sandra, one of the hotel managers. She made sure all was well. I told her what I believe is true: The ME is fantastic, but maybe not for everyone, because it is SPECIAL! Please keep up the standard... I will definitely be back, miss it already!!!

Room Tip: Do invest in a Loft suite if you can, they have balconies and amazing views!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank missyTF
Dear missyTF
Thank you very much for writing such a detailed and kind review of your stay with us! We are thrilled ot read about your amazing experience and we apreciate that you took the time to share it with tons of travelers around the world. We deeply apreciate your commentaries regarding the gastronomical experience, the nightlife, and the overall experience! We truly apreciate the time you took to share what the ME experience is about! We look forward to hosting you back in the near future.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I booked a 5 day stay at ME Cancun during spring break. My parents have been here before and absolutely loved it. However, when we read reviews we had no idea what to expect. Many people complained about the noise, food being bad, bad service, the hotel not being all inclusive, etc. Our main concern was the food and noise, especially that we were going during spring break. People were saying that the walls are so thin you can hear a pin drop in the hallway and that the music from the beach plays from the afternoon until 4am. We were going to relax and definitely did not want to deal with loud music until sunrise. I found out that they have a "VIP" package which is called level and it includes many other things that all inclusive doesn't, but what sold us was that the rooms were on the last floors, so we figured it wouldn't be so loud up there. We decided that before we left for our vacation we would upgrade to their level package beforehand because we didn't want to risk it being full and being put on the lower floors. As soon as we upgraded the level concierge emailed me right away telling me they're very excited to meet us and also that their transportation will pick us up from the airport. I was also able to make a dinner reservation for the first night through email before we even got there. When we arrived the first thing we noticed was how clean, beautiful, and modern the hotel looked. The entire hotel had a sweet refreshing smell, unlike some resorts which all smell like damp towels. We were told to go to the 10th floor to the private level concierge which is where we checked in. Our check in took about 10 minutes and our room was ready right away. We were told what is included in our package and also were able to make dinner reservations. The level package included a junior suite, barefoot dinner on the beach, complementary use of any bali bed for one day, premium bar, transportation to and from hotel, photo shoot on the beach and one free picture, movie night, massage for 2, free access to the YHI spa, free room service, and much more. The upgrade was definitely worth it. Everything was incredible. We did not hear a thing in our room, not even people next door or what was going on in the hallway. I'm sure the rooms on the lower floors were didn't hear much either. The beach was never too loud. They played music at a good volume and it was definitely not until 4am. When we had dinner on the beach it was 8pm and there wasn't any music already. The pools and beach were never crowded which was nice. The food was excellent, especially at Salt.The barefoot dinner food was also delicious. Not one complaint about food. We ordered room service for breakfast and lunch and it was great. Their drinks were definitely not watered down and if you wanted it stronger or with less alcohol they had no problem making a new one. The rose bar was pretty packed Friday night around 11pm like a club, then there is another lounge area with music outside but other than that if people are looking to party hardcore then they would need to leave the hotel for that, but that is what Cancun is all about. In other reviews that I read people said that the waiters were all money hungry and wanted tips. These are the nicest waiters I have ever met and were thankful for anything you gave them. And FYI, if you have the all inclusive package, tips are already included, but its nice to give them extra because they are all very hard working. All food was included, we didn't have to pay extra for anything except the bali bed, the cheapest one on the beach was $25 and the ones by the infinity pool are $40, but we didn't have a problem with that. People who complain that it is not an all inclusive resort probably didn't buy the all inclusive package. I can't say enough about this hotel, I can go on and on. Everything about it was excellent. 100% coming back to this one or to one of Melias chain hotels. Whoever puts this hotel down, says the food isn't good, and the service is horrible, are spoiled and don't know themselves what they are looking for. Go to ME, you will not regret it!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MariannaN478
Dear MariannaN478
Thank you so much for sharing such a nice review of your experience in the hotel. We truly apreciate the time you took to share your comments in order for millions of travelers to read more about the ME experience. I truly thank you, comments like yours encourage our staff to keep up the good work! We truly hope to have the chance to host you again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Saw a lot of negative reviews on line about ME cancun and keeping in mind that it is billed openly as a lively place to stay with the option of upgrading your experience at your leisure I have to say i found these reviews baffling.

The hotel is very smart and funky as you would expect from a ME hotel. There is music everywhere you go except for your room which, if you are there to party, is perfect and it gets louder the closer you get to the bar or beach area which is where the fun happens.

With the weather so beautiful my group of 8 didn't really spend any time at the indoor bar, although it looked reasonably busy after 12 o'clock at night.

The pool was where it was at. I organised a cabana every day which had a minumum spend of a bottle of champagne but we always had more throughout the course of the day anyway. All of the other drinks and shots were part of the all inclusive package. There is no pressure to do this. Only 10 yards further back and there is no minimum spend, you just have to book the beds in advance. But for a bachelor party as we were it was great to be able to up at the front near the dj to get involved with the fun.

The beach is great and yes the lifeguards are a little militant about how far you go in, but the ocean here is quite active and there is definitely a bit of a rip as you go a little farther out. I'd rather get whistled at a few times than the alternative.

The staff were helpful and accomodating. We were a fairly large group and were able to always sit together for meals etc. The only negative was that the check in was slightly disorganised, but again, no major issues.

The way to get good service is to tip. When everyone is on an all inclusive package how do you get served quicker than the next guy. My advice would be to find a guy/girl and make them your own. Tip big early and see your glass full throughout your stay. We had Louis looking after us, alway kept the beers and mojitos flowing!

The rooms were great. Nicely furnuished, nice big bed and good bathrooms. The fridge is pretty sparse but a quick phone call to room service and you can get 6-8 beers up to your room. do this in the morning and then come evening you're all set. On the room service front - again you have to tip for the service. As long as you know that this is the way it works there should be no problems.

The place was full and the beach party was one of the best I have been to. Can certainly rival blue marlin in ibiza on the fun stakes and the quality of the music.

All in all we had a great time. We were out until 5-6 am every day and never received complaints and we also continued to have a drink in one of the rooms when we got back, again no problems at all. We fully made use of the all inclusive nature of the hotel in conjunction with having a good kitty for tipping. It is a lively hotel for lively people, with perhaps a little extra to spend on top of their package.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Robert024
I deeply apreciate the time you took to share your comments with us and with other travelers! I thank you for your overall comments and for the commentary regarding your check in experience. I will definetely review this in order to follow up aporpiately and ensure we work so this does not happen again. I apreciate your kind remarks and will share your experience with our staff so they keep up the good work. we look forward to hosting you back
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Myself and 3 friends stayed at ME Cancun at the beginning of March for 4 nights. Coming from Australia we are not really used to the "all inclusive" concept, however were more than willing to give it a try and work our way through all the restaurants and bars at ME Cancun.

Arriving at about 9pm after 30hrs travelling from Australia, we were quickly checked in, and booked into The Beachhouse restaurant for dinner. Despite that the restaurant was near closing, the service was excellent, margaritas were free flowing and the food was delicious. This was a good sign for the 4 days ahead of us. Already on 1 bill we had spent USD100 so we knew we were going to get value for money with our "all inclusive" package.

We were given a complimentary upgrade to Oceanview and the view was amazing. So nice to wake up and look out the window to the clear blue waters. It's a shame the rooms don't have balconies but really you don't spend much time in your room anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

Over the course of the 4 days we met many other guests and enjoyed many drinks at The Beachhouse Pool Bar. Beers and cocktails were always free flowing and service was always friendly.

We also ate at all the restaurants which offered excellent variety from each other and as always a high level of service and value for money. Reservations were a must - sometimes they were flexible on numbers and times, sometimes they weren't. Moral of the story - get in early to secure a time that you want. Our only gripe was not being able to join another group for an earlier reservation at Silk, however when we went to our later reservation, there was hardly anyone in the restaurant and our friends had a huge table all to themselves that could have accommodated us. I think the point of the reservations is more to help them stagger out meals, rather than capacity in the restaurant. Of all the restaurants, the food was ordinary at Silk, however the sushi was great.

We had a few problems with our room (toilet not flushing), we called reception and it was attended to immediately. Also, we could never work out how to turn the TV off completely and neither could our friends....strange!

We were 4 single girls all in our mid 30's. I was a bit worried that the resort would be full of "young trendy Spring Breakers", but it was fine. The was a good mix of singles, couples, groups, wedding parties, of all ages. Lots of opportunities to socialise with other guests if you want to.

Beds were extremely comfy ... or maybe we just slept well after partying all night at the nightclubs.

Mini bar was ok although bottles of water were too small. We also didn't know which items were free and which we had to pay for. They told us the items would have stickers on but not everything did so we were a bit confused.

Checkout was easy - we were expecting a bill for "hidden costs / taxes / tips" but were pleasantly surprised with a $0 balance.

I would definately travel all the way from Australia again to stay at ME Cancun. Thanks for an awesome experience.

Room Tip: As much as it was beautiful to have an Oceanview, I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NikNaks78
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful 6 days at the ME Cancun. I think I will never stay elsewhere. Extraordinary service. Chef Ignacio Azcona, again, made our stay a delightful culinary experience. ME is the place to stay in Cancun.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JoseMS70
Kemptville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife and I have read many reviews (before our trip and after) on the ME that are all over the map and we simply can't understand how this can be? I guess is depends on whether your glass is half full or half empty. This was our 8th trip to Cancun so we are not newbies and not looking through rose coloured glasses. This is a very well kept, upscale resort with staff that for the most part go out of their way to accomodate and make your stay a memorable one. We are not high maintenance and simply look for good food, cleanliness, ambience, a great beach, good service and a comfortable room. At the ME we got all of this and more. This is not to say we couldn't find fault, but we don't go looking for it - however, before telling you why we liked the ME, I will first point out a couple areas where they could improve:

1) Check in for us was not a great experience to say the least. We arrived at 10 am and knew check in was not until 3. We were issued a bracelet and sat by the pool and had lunch and drinks and were told we could unpack well before 3. At shortly before 4 we were still waiting and when we finally went to our room someone was already in it - let in by accident by the cleaning staff. We called the front desk who were not interested at all in solving the problem - nor did they even send someone to investigate - so we discussed the situation with the couple in our room and they agreed to move. They had just arrived so it was no big deal. They were Newfies (greatest people on the planet) who were there for a business conference so they spent the next 3 days apologizing every time they saw us lol - the front desk didn't even inquire how this got resolved;

2) The constant requests about whether we want to book activities is annoying. They should ask once at check in and then leave us (you) alone. Even the towel staff kept asking and after a day or two it gets very tired;

3) The Spa prices are outrageous and we went outside the resort where you can find much better value; and

4) Hall noise was out of control a couple nights and other guests were heard screaming "shut the f__k up" when it carried on for 20..30...40 minutes. The ME could easily resolve this by having one of the many security staff present simply patrol the halls and ask people to kindly take it into their rooms and consider other guests - they are reluctant to do this and I am not sure why?

So, having pointed out areas where they can improve it is important to describe why we would not hesitate to return to the ME.

1) Location: One of the best locations in Cancun - bar none. Almost right in the middle of 7 miles of white sandy beach that we walked for 1-2 hours daily. A 3 minute walk to La Isla, an outdoor shopping mall that is full of great stores, waterside bars and attractions; within a 5 minute walk of numerous nice restaurants if you decide to eat out; and, a "safe" 20 minute walk (or 5 minute bus ride) to the clubs and bars downtown. If you want to be right in the middle and have access to everything - this is your place.

2) Food: Top notch. Four restaurants that serve from a menu and focus on smaller portions with high quality and presentation. The meals we had were simply excellent. One evening my wife innocently remarked to our server that the dish she had was 'a little spicy' and within 2 minutes the Head Chef Juan (from the restaurant Silk) was at our table and asked if he could bring something else for her - which he did. Wow...very impressive. We also spoke at length about wine with Marco who served us several nights and is studying to become a sommelier and he was very pleasant and highly professional. The other thing we appreciated is that there is a dress code and they try and live by it. After a long day at the beach, or by the pool, we don't necessarily want to sit beside someone in flip flops and wearing bathing suit and eating from a buffet! The ME go out of their way to try and take your dining experience to a higher level - nice and something we appreciate.

3) Room: We had an ocean view deluxe room on the 8th floor that was very spacious and comfortable. Our bathroom had a great rain shower with a bench...........nice..........and our room was cleaned meticulously daily.

4) Service: Looking past our check in issue, the service the rest of the 10 days we spent at the ME was simply excellent. The staff are attentive, warm and go out of their way to assist in any way they can. We have read several bad reviews about the service at the ME and we just can't figure them out. Unless you are a chronic complainer (and you do exist) you will be very impressed by how friendly and professional the staff are. As an example, a young hostess named Gabby got to know us on day one and could not have been more gracious through our entire stay - a period where she did not have a single day off. Her infectious smile and pleasant demeanour made our days at the ME that much more enjoyable. I hope management at the ME recognize exceptional staff like Gabby as they are a gold mine for their business.

So, I have tried to present a balanced review of the ME and point out what we liked and where we see room for improvement. I know as you do your research you are simply trying to figure out if you are going to get good value and have a great time. After 8 trips to Cancun all I can tell you is we will not hesitate to return to the ME to find both. We are certain you will find the same.

Room Tip: Make sure to get an ocean view room - much nicer view. Ask for highest floor possible to reduce nois...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple