“The ME was for me!”

Ranked #39 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Ottawa, Ontario
“The ME was for me!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I travelled there last year and forgot to write a review. I have not a single bad thing to say about this resort. It was luxurious, amazing food, and a great party atmosphere.

If you're looking for your typical all-inclusive, this isn't it! It's fancy, there are no "forced" activities and you'll want to be ready to have a good time. I read a lot of complaints about noise, but I never had any issues. Our room was facing the pools/bars/beach and I never heard anything. I did appreciate that the rooms had ear plugs, but they weren't necessary in my opinion.

If you'd like to check out my pictures or read more about our trip, check out my blog Same Same, but Different here: http://lizzymcd.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/cancun2012/

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear LizzyMac
Thank you very much for the kind review!! We are simply happy to read you spent such an amazing time with us. Thank you for sharing with other travelers what the Me Experience is about! We hope to have you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,199)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just got back from a week that included new years eve at Me Cancun, I want to start with the good stuff ! The property is quite compact and the restaurants, pools and beach are all a couple of minutes walk apart, The beach has an ever present life guard and that's not a bad thing as at least during our stay the undertow in front of the hotel was significant, a safer beach however was only 100 meters away. The food for an all inclusive was fairly good, the tasting menu at The Waterside (For the Boys) was good with lots of things wrapped in bacon !! Not a great selection for our non carnivore companions, Salt was an improvement and Silk undoubtedly the best of the lot, A previous review also mentioned the hidden away and rarely mentioned buffet, I can confirm that it does exist !!.

The next comments with the exception of ONE complaint are really more observations that would have made our trip more enjoyable (Not that it wasn't).

Complaint: Don't charge a $100.00 PP for a new years eve party that is supposed to start at 10 PM and at 10 PM change the entry time to 11.30 some of us do not do that well after midnight.

The hotel is tired, that is why the lighting is so low, take a flashlight for the restaurants.
The rooms need updating but for the price point are fairly descent
The Rose Bar should be avoided at all cost unless you are teetotal
Tipping the bar staff wont improve the speed of service or in anyway guarantee that there will be alcohol in your beverage of choice
On day one spend the $120.00 for the pool side cabana (includes a bottle of Vodka) Do not drink the vodka....for the rest of your stay add aforementioned vodka (substitute Vodka for your preferred beverage) to whatever you order from the bar and it will all be good
Why is it always the guys who have to get up before dawn to put the towels on the pool chairs...
Having to sign for everything (This is really an all inclusive hotel) is annoying and time consuming for all parties, I think they do it in the hope that by seeing the bill (No Charge) we will get a sense of value for our buck, for me that was not the case.
There are no balconies for most of the rooms with the exception of the ocean front suites
No activities available not even a volley ball court yet alone tennis. Oh there was a pool table
Do NOT Take kids here (we were child free) there is very little for them to do and way to few other kids for them to play with, Tag your it....

To conclude Me Cancun is tired and they need to spend money and update the decor, Its trying to be a South Beach hot spot and its NOT, Overall though I found Me Cancun to be comfortable (Beds were amazing) food was for the most part tasty and the staff friendly, overall we enjoyed our stay and returned to the snow relaxed and a few pounds heavier.

Room Tip: buy the Vodka
2 Thank Julian S
Dear Julian S
Thank you for sharing your commentaries regarding your most recent experience at Me Cancun. each and every one of them is a great insight of the experience you lived and the possible areas of improvement there might be. I would like to start by sharing with you that lighting in the hotel is low to provide a mood of privacy. Bali beds are available at the beach club upon bottle service or rental fee, the choice of the bottle depends completely on what the client want to read, and botlles are chosen within a menu of bottles. I am sorry to read you were not satisfied with the vodka. I am also sorry to read you had to get up to reserve louge chairs on the beach. It is tru that during high season people tend to go to the beach earlier to book their beds. We ask our guests to sign their checks because we have plenty of services and benefits available upon an extra charge and we need to make sure that everything being charged to your room was actually authorized by you, I truly hope this was not too inconvenient. When it comes to activities, we have a fitness program which is included inyour complete me package and features, yoga, cardio, fit dance lessons, we also have a beach tennis court available on weekends. We truly hope to have the chance to host you again in the future to prove that our main commitment is with your satisfaction and that you are pleased with your experience.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is clean, white, exclusive, excellent, sexy, erotic, fancy, elegant and all inclusive!!!!! Make sure you bring your nice sexy dresses for the night time! I took my whole family with me plus my 5 year old daughter. Even though they don't have any childcare, the place is so amazing that my daughter was enjoying the clear beach and had a great time sleeping on the white beds on the beach. The hotel is in a great spot, 5 minutes walking distance to an open mall and 2 minutes to a Mexican style mall.. The staff was very nice, the room is very clean, and i am a OCD person, so if you are looking for clean white sheets, great food, especially the breakfast which is À la carte, this hotel is for you. I have to tell you, this hotel is all about good looking people.. I will definitely come back...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Barney S
It is so encouraging to read such nice reviews as yours! We truly feel encouraged to keep up the good work. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with other travelers and for sharing what the Me Cancun is about! We look forward to hosting you back soon!
Kittredge, Colorado, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The good: The beach is gorgeous. White sandy beach and crystal waters.

The bad: The hotel is so bent on creating a "vibe" that it comes across as stuffy and pretentious.

Food is ok for an all inclusive; usually adequate, but they try to at least up the ante on presentation. Breakfast buffet is the best, but the other restaurants bored us after just a few days. I didn't want to have to get dressed up and make a reservation and endure slow service and tiny portions after the first day or so.

Rooms are great and probably the best thing about this place; comfortable, nice, and yes there are things you can pay "extra" for, but plenty on the "all inclusive" list too. Had no issues with music noise at ALL and that was a big concern of mine. (5th room floor) Comfy beds, ipod docks, Aveda toiletries, etc.

Don't come here if you're looking for a laid-back, Margaritaville-in-Mexico style resort. DO come here if you actually LIKE to dress up for dinner, want to stay at a place you can impress your girlfriend, come for a bachelor/bachelorette party, etc. It's like it's trying to be an A-List night-club with overnight accommodations, but just comes across as a that one rich kid we all knew in High School that had no personality but tried to throw parties where people would come, just because his house was nice.

I will gladly stick to a different style resort entirely where I can actually relax and not "dress to impress". (((yawn)))

2 Thank Stephanie C
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Although it was NOT cheap, the stay was incredible. We loved the room and the smell of the lobby :) The infinity pool is amazing and also a great place to relax in. The beach is undoubtedly the clearest and very accessible from hotel. The food was okay, but would have been better if we hadn't missed breakfast every morning. The concierge was always very inviting and willing to help with all activity bookings. We recommend Xcaret and tulum :)

We will always stay here when in cancun as the service, clean/trendy feel, & atmosphere was amazing.

Room Tip: get a room with a VIEW
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 3, 2013

During the Christmas holiday I stayed at 3 hotels during my stay in Mexico, Terracaribe Boutique Hotel, Oasis Sens Adult Oriented All Inclusive and Me by Melia (BEST)
Me Hotel:
Good- This hotel smells like a wonderful flower shop from the moment you walk in to the time you step into your bathroom to shower! Even the guest bathrooms in the lobby area are relaxing as your room bathroom.

Room- The room looks exactly like it does in the picture and the ocean view is amazing! The bathroom has surround sound so you can listen to the game, music, news, sports, awesome bonus!! The shower was walk-in with NO TUB!! The room was Clean, no hair found on floor or bed upon arrival! The room was stocked with water, sodas, beer, alcohol many of which was free. I liked the fact that Free water and M&M was awaiting me each day If you visits other all inclusive resorts you realize that snacks in your room at all is not included. The bed was so relaxing, pillows, bedding, slept like a baby!

Lobby, is like a chick, sexy art piece. The lighting is nice along with the computer networking area that allows guest easy internet access at anytime. Also Wi-Fi is available thought the hotel at a decent speed without needing a CODE!!
Food: was the worst part of my stay. This hotel should break away from the all inclusive and focus on being a great hotel which it’s on par to be. The drinks were watered down and didn’t taste like any drink I have ever had before. I took a swallow of what was supposed to be a Mai Tai and I had to spit it out. One would think going to Mexico you would have the best Margherita NOT the case at this hotel!! HORRIBLE!! I can’t find anything good to say about the drinks or food here and sadly to say I found hair in many of my dishes. I realized eating in Mexico that they do not adhere to the health code as the USA. No score card, hair nets or GLOVES is ever warned here. Most will say who cares your going for the beach, but you’re paying for FOOD AND DRINKS and some people like to EAT. I realized fast at this hotel that even the simple Mexican dishes are hard to find.

Service: Schduling appointments for restaurants are a joke!! The Salt restaurant was booked for the entire stay of my trip, each day I was told “sorry were completely booked”. The final night of my stay I was determined to eat something different so went right to the restaurant and requested a table! IT WORKED! The food in Salt was Okay, nothing to rave about but the menu has more seafood options I’m sure this is why they try to keep the appointments to a minimum.
Lastly, this hotel is perfect for SINGLES!! Not many kids at all and for me that’s a plus! Adults only!
I would definitely return to this hotel if the all inclusive meal plan is not mandatory. The hotel is a nice clean; chick place to stay but the food is less desirable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Net D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort Dec 23 - 29. Most of what you'll see in previous reviews is accurate. In general, we found this resort to be reasonable value for the money. The rooms are nice, we had an ocean-view on the 9th floor. Good size rooms, great rainfall shower, enjoyed the Aveda toiletries. Cleaning always done while we were at the beach, no issues.

The food was hit or miss. As noted in other reviews the breakfast was really good, often our favorite meal of the day. Lunch was good at the Beach-House you just have to come off the beach and give up 45-60 min. Menu could really use some more healthy options. Have to say the coconut ice cream was fantastic. The grill items are the only things the waiters bring to the beach (chicken sandwich, turkey hot dog or hamburger).

As for the other restaurants: Silk - Asian, excellent papaya, seaweed salad dish, sushi seemed to be pan fried. Salt - Mediteranean buffet, probably our least favorite - nothing note worthy. Woodside Grill - tries to be similar to the Argentine grill experience, we found the chicken to be fatty and the other meat too raw. Waiting for service was endless. Like others we liked the BeachHouse for dinner the best. The tuna salad was very good, as was the chipotle shrimp. Very good desserts as well. The coffee bar makes a very good cappuccino. We are not big drinkers so can't give a lot of insight there - but we enjoyed the margaritas.

For a resort trying to appeal to the beautiful people, the gym is remarkably small. Often crowded in the morning. What is there in equipment is limited and the overall space is too small.

The beach is beautiful, excellent for long walks/runs. The pool seemed very nice, but we spent all our time at the beach. It was quite busy so we had to get our towels and place them on chairs first thing in the morning.

We also found that many of the staff there was very friendly and helpful.

In summary, reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is really nice, beautiful sunrises.
3 Thank AshleyDCandBrussels