“Relaxing Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

During the Christmas holiday I stayed at 3 hotels during my stay in Mexico, Terracaribe Boutique Hotel, Oasis Sens Adult Oriented All Inclusive and Me by Melia (BEST)
Me Hotel:
Good- This hotel smells like a wonderful flower shop from the moment you walk in to the time you step into your bathroom to shower! Even the guest bathrooms in the lobby area are relaxing as your room bathroom.

Room- The room looks exactly like it does in the picture and the ocean view is amazing! The bathroom has surround sound so you can listen to the game, music, news, sports, awesome bonus!! The shower was walk-in with NO TUB!! The room was Clean, no hair found on floor or bed upon arrival! The room was stocked with water, sodas, beer, alcohol many of which was free. I liked the fact that Free water and M&M was awaiting me each day If you visits other all inclusive resorts you realize that snacks in your room at all is not included. The bed was so relaxing, pillows, bedding, slept like a baby!

Lobby, is like a chick, sexy art piece. The lighting is nice along with the computer networking area that allows guest easy internet access at anytime. Also Wi-Fi is available thought the hotel at a decent speed without needing a CODE!!
Food: was the worst part of my stay. This hotel should break away from the all inclusive and focus on being a great hotel which it’s on par to be. The drinks were watered down and didn’t taste like any drink I have ever had before. I took a swallow of what was supposed to be a Mai Tai and I had to spit it out. One would think going to Mexico you would have the best Margherita NOT the case at this hotel!! HORRIBLE!! I can’t find anything good to say about the drinks or food here and sadly to say I found hair in many of my dishes. I realized eating in Mexico that they do not adhere to the health code as the USA. No score card, hair nets or GLOVES is ever warned here. Most will say who cares your going for the beach, but you’re paying for FOOD AND DRINKS and some people like to EAT. I realized fast at this hotel that even the simple Mexican dishes are hard to find.

Service: Schduling appointments for restaurants are a joke!! The Salt restaurant was booked for the entire stay of my trip, each day I was told “sorry were completely booked”. The final night of my stay I was determined to eat something different so went right to the restaurant and requested a table! IT WORKED! The food in Salt was Okay, nothing to rave about but the menu has more seafood options I’m sure this is why they try to keep the appointments to a minimum.
Lastly, this hotel is perfect for SINGLES!! Not many kids at all and for me that’s a plus! Adults only!
I would definitely return to this hotel if the all inclusive meal plan is not mandatory. The hotel is a nice clean; chick place to stay but the food is less desirable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Net D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort Dec 23 - 29. Most of what you'll see in previous reviews is accurate. In general, we found this resort to be reasonable value for the money. The rooms are nice, we had an ocean-view on the 9th floor. Good size rooms, great rainfall shower, enjoyed the Aveda toiletries. Cleaning always done while we were at the beach, no issues.

The food was hit or miss. As noted in other reviews the breakfast was really good, often our favorite meal of the day. Lunch was good at the Beach-House you just have to come off the beach and give up 45-60 min. Menu could really use some more healthy options. Have to say the coconut ice cream was fantastic. The grill items are the only things the waiters bring to the beach (chicken sandwich, turkey hot dog or hamburger).

As for the other restaurants: Silk - Asian, excellent papaya, seaweed salad dish, sushi seemed to be pan fried. Salt - Mediteranean buffet, probably our least favorite - nothing note worthy. Woodside Grill - tries to be similar to the Argentine grill experience, we found the chicken to be fatty and the other meat too raw. Waiting for service was endless. Like others we liked the BeachHouse for dinner the best. The tuna salad was very good, as was the chipotle shrimp. Very good desserts as well. The coffee bar makes a very good cappuccino. We are not big drinkers so can't give a lot of insight there - but we enjoyed the margaritas.

For a resort trying to appeal to the beautiful people, the gym is remarkably small. Often crowded in the morning. What is there in equipment is limited and the overall space is too small.

The beach is beautiful, excellent for long walks/runs. The pool seemed very nice, but we spent all our time at the beach. It was quite busy so we had to get our towels and place them on chairs first thing in the morning.

We also found that many of the staff there was very friendly and helpful.

In summary, reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Oceanfront is really nice, beautiful sunrises.
3 Thank AshleyDCandBrussels
Twin Cities, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Good:

Beach is large and clean. You can walk along it for miles, as the hotel is in the middle of the hotel zone. We had no problems finding chairs, ect.

All in all, the "Extra" charges other reviewers are complaining about for tips, minibar, day beds ect added up to about $200 for the week. I think you'll get much better service and have a better experience if you just cough it up. Not a big deal if you're paying $500 a night anyways.

Food at Salt Restaurant, Silk Restaurant, Brazilian steakhouse and breakfast buffet were superb. Salt is similar to a steakhouse that I probably would pay $150/couple in my hometown, so that was worth it. Silk has unlimited fresh sushi. The other restaurants were not as special but still good. In all of them, the ambiance is extremely romantic, most you can have a view of the beach. Loved it.

All employees were always smiling, friendly, and happy to help me with my spanish (though they all spoke fine english too). Fun to chat with.

The Bad:
As other reviews said, the disco is really loud at 3am, but only on Friday and Saturday, so that wasn't too bad.

We were there on Christmas and the service was horrible in the Beach House There were just no waiters to be found, but the hotel let us make reservations anyway. After we'd been seated for 10 minutes (not exaggerating) and still had no water or any contact with a waiter, we just started serving ourselves from the bar. I finally ordered a beef tenderloin but instead was served the chewy beef from the steak sandwich that the restaurant serves for lunch; leads me to believe the chef was on vacation.
I would advise the hotel not to take reservations if they can't handle it, I would have happily gone to the self serve buffet had I known the restaurant would be such a circus.

On that note, I might recommend traveling to this hotel during off-peak travel times. Before the holiday the hotel was only 60% full and the service was excellent! As it got busier they had the same about of staff for a much larger amount of customers.

All in all:
Very romantic, lots of sexy spaces and everything was easy going. Would highly recommend for couples who want a beach vacation.

Room Tip: Didn't bother paying for the Level, the standard ocean view room was nice.
3 Thank Katie S
maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed at Me the week between Christmas and New Year. Hotel was fully booked so they probably hired extra staff because the service was good and pretty fast. Rooms are nice but dated. Beds are very comfortable!

It is all inclusive! We liked that lunch and dinner were in restaurants, not buffets. Service in restaurants was very efficient and waiters were pleasant and patient. I don't understand people who are upset about giving tips! Don't you give 15-20% in the US? So wants wrong with a dollar or two for a waiter that bends over backwards to make happy.

All in all we had a great time, but I would like to point out a few things that irritated us and why we won't return.

1. Javier!!! The assistant manager. The guy has a bad attitude! I will not get into detail of what I was complaining to him about, but instead of saying that he understood the inconvenience and he was sorry, he barked back at me and tried to justify every little thing the hotel did wrong, and he did that with an attitude like I came to stay at his place for free, and now I had the nerve to complain.

2. Loud music at the beach. We don't mind music at all. But this pretend techno beat was beyond annoying.

3. Lounge chairs at the beach. No, you don't have to rent them, they are free, and umbrellas are free, but you have to rise at 7 a.m. if you want to grab a good spot.

4. Their so called "night club". Its a bar which is mainly empty at night. On Friday and Saturday nights the entrance to the bar from the beach is blocked in preparation to a night party. And from around 9 p.m. until 3 a.m. they blast the music inside and outside of the bar by the pool. We went to check what was going on both nights and there were barely 15-25 people attending. There was no reason to play loud music all night when most of the hotel guests were trying to sleep. Next morning every one on the beach complained about the noise. Again the hotel's attitude was: We are a party hotel, your travel agent should've told you!

5. Last but not least. They had a huge New Year party on the beach. But don't kid yourselves, it's not for you! For two days, Dec 30 and 31st the beach was a mess! The party people were erecting a huge tent right in the middle of the beach. The thing was so big, that there was barely a place for people to use the beach. And when we tried to move our chairs closer to the ocean, they started putting ropes right to our faces to prevent us from moving. When the tent was finally there, they had to do sound check! At 2 a.m.!!!! According to my friend Javier, the manager, it was perfectly fine, because the hotel cares only about their parties, and we should've checked it out before booking.

The party!!!! $100 per person with open bar and you get a table where you can barely see the party, and they won't let you go into the tent until their bottle service guests arrive. You want bottle service? Pay thousands to be inside the tent on a bali bed. Order minimum 5-6 bottles at a very high price. The hotel guests were offered the $100 per person option and nobody told them where they would be placed.
Thanks to all the hard working waiters, bar tenders, and hostesses we had a nice vacation.
Next time we will go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor or bay view, to avoid the noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

There is no secret, in all businesses if you want good results you have to be present at all time...
And this is exactly what Mr. Fares Bouneb (manager of restaurants) does and this is primarily why the dining experience at ME Cancun is such an unforgettable experience...
Great accommodation and service particularly from Mr. Abel Hernandez at the Beach House.
Thanks to everyone at ME Cancun.

Stayed December 2012
TENNESSEE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

THE GOOD
Really nice rooms. Good food. Nice pool area. Free WIFI

THE BAD
-Very strange (for an all-inclusive) check-signing practice.
-Most pool chairs are available only for a daily rental.
-Guests without dinner reservations in resturants are not welcome, even when a restaurant isn’t busy.
-The no-reservation buffet restaurant is a closely guarded secret.

ME Cancun is an upscale hotel that bills itself as "adults preferred." They won't turn away the kids, but it's obvious the hotel doesn't cater to them. Having stayed at several all-inclusive hotels in Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, the ME provided us a lot of surprises. They don't do business the same as the others. Some may find that a good thing. We did not. We just weren't comfortable there.

For one, it's not a true "all-inclusive" where you put your wallet in the safe, then eat, drink and use the facilities without limits. Our observation was the all-inclusive package is an option. Restaurant menus have prices...very EXPENSIVE prices. You sign a ticket for EVERYTHING and there is a very visible line to add a tip for every meal, drink and service. And waiting for a check for every little service is indeed an annoyance when compared to other all-inclusive resorts. For the record, we have stayed at two RIUs, the Royal Solaris a couple of times, Crown Paradise, Paradisus, Moon Palace and some others in the Mexican Riviera with names I can't remember. So our knowledge base of what is expected at all-inclusive resorts is pretty sound.

To call ME Cancun all-inclusive is a misrepresentation. Some types of drinks were included; others were not. The fridge and mini-bar in the room had items marked with a green sticker (included, no extra charge) and with a yellow sticker (very expensive extra cost). We stumbled across the casual, no-reservation buffet the third night of our stay. It was literally hidden behind a curtain and was not mentioned in any brochures, signs or by the receptionist at check-in.

The sit-down restaurants could be quite slow. The restaurants required reservations and had a dress code. A disc jockey ran a sound system featuring new age “ambience” music during dinner. One evening he had it cranked up a little too loud for us to maintain a conversation.

Another couple we talked to said they had the impression this hotel was trying to market to a very "sophisticated" crowd or to people who thought they were. We had the same feeling.

Our room was billed as a “Junior Suite.” It was beautiful, comfortable and excellently maintained, with a separate sitting area. The area where the mini-bar was located resembled a small kitchenette, with its own dining table. Our TV rested on a low table, meaning it was difficult to see from the bed and required us to hold the remote control over our heads in order for it to work, whether sitting on the sofa or watching from bed. Free WIFI was very much appreciated. The property is in an excellent location, just a short walk from La Isla shopping center.

The food was good, but a hassle. The dining experience reminded me of too many business trips where meals were more of a work assignment instead of a source for relaxation. Service for lunch and dinner was slow and sometimes inattentive, although the service at breakfast was excellent. Breakfast was a VERY good buffet and was offered in the restaurant that we discovered also provided the top-secret dinner buffet.

Our “bills” for each meal ran from $42 (breakfast) to $116 (dinner) for two people. Since we were on the all-inclusive program, each check was labeled "NO CHARGE,"
but that line to add a tip was there and quite honestly, we didn't budget for that.

A grill located at the main pool served up hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and hotdogs during lunch. A sign posted prices that converted to around $12 for the hamburger, $15 for the chicken sandwich and $5.75 for the hotdog, but the cook never charged anybody. I think he was way too busy to write up those “no-charge” tickets.

Most of the poolside chairs are actually shaded cabanas and lounges that are for rent. We heard the rate varied depending on the type of chair and location but averaged around $25 per day for something that accommodates two people. The main pool area was spacious and we found free lounge chairs to be available most days. Toward the weekend there were more people there. Guests who rented the cabanas would commandeer the free chairs that they used as tables for their belongings. The smaller adults-only pool was very crowded and noisey, with only the rental chairs offered. This was the only facility we’ve visited where the “you can’t reserve a chair by leaving your towel” policy was actually enforced. We saw hotel staff collecting towels from obviously vacant chairs. We liked that.

One surprise that I thought was a good thing. We returned to our room after breakfast to discover our room key wouldn't work. The reason was we left the room with our safe open, thus entry was blocked, including entry for the maid. We thought that was a smart innovation. The security guard let us in and we vowed to remember to lock the safe when we left the room.

You may like this kind of place, but it wasn’t for us. If you're looking for a hassle-free all-inclusive resort in Cancun, there are other properties for you to consider other than ME Cancun. Moon Palace and RIU Palace de Americas tops our list.

#####

2 Thank avispon56
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

ME Cancun is a great resort for vacationers who don't (or can't) stay at great resorts. We took a chance on a last minute deal that probably should have warranted more scrutiny, but alas... Judging from the media in the resort, it seems to see itself as one big night club for those in their early 20s with daddy's money to burn and fresh livers. Judging from their clientele, it's more of a hotel for budget-conscious couples in their late-30s, early-40s with gambling addictions. I kind of felt bad for the resort once their New Year's Eve party came along because they had banked so much on bringing in their ideal crowd over their real crowd. Aside from a handful of bewildered teenagers who probably didn't know any better, the party was a bust. The staff is generally friendly, but more anxious to help you find ways to give them your money than just to help you. After all, this is a business so that makes sense, so much sense that it's something you'll be reminded of throughout your stay. If you get the Complete Me package, your stay is, with a few exceptions, all-inclusive. It doesn't really feel that way, though, because you have to sign a bill to your room for literally everything. Every snack, every meal, every drink, every thing. With Complete Me tips are also included in your bill already, as you'll be reminded at the bottom of each each ticket. Some of the waitstaff, however, will treat you with indifference if you don't slip them an extra something. That signals to me potential issues in their labor management that may have long-term consequences for the resort, but that's only a concern for you if you join their "special members" program (more on that below). The resort has some good food options but you have to make dinner reservations really early (sometimes up to two days in advance) if you want dinner. It's standard resort fair made for the masses, so if you pick your restaurants by their Michelin stars, you won't find much appealing. (Imagine eating at Chili's or Applebee's three times a day, every day. It might start out all right, but at some point you're going to want to kill yourself.) Outside of a pretty nice pool & beach area (get there before 10am or you're out of luck for a chair), and one lone pool table in their cyber lounge area, the resort includes no activities (except drinking, of course). If you're familiar with Club Med or other similar brands you may experience the onset of ennui after a few days. This is a very gay friendly resort (and billed as such), so if the thought of your kids seeing two dudes kissing in the pool frightens you then you should probably spend your vacation getting a tour of the Westboro Baptist Church, not coming here. At some point during your stay you may be offered the chance to attend a presentation to become a "special member". Essentially you'll be asked to take out a 6-figure loan at a double-digit interest rate for 50 years worth of credits to stay at Meliá-owned properties, with some access to other travel affiliates. (By the way, you can stay at any of these locations WITHOUT signing a contract to do so.) Without going into the minutiae, this works out great if you can pay the whole amount up front, in cash, AND you'll always travel with at least 8 people at a time for the next 50 years, AND you (or any of the other 7 people you normally vacation with) aren't travel-savvy enough to make your own arrangements or find a clever travel agent. For our part, we weren't going to engage in such a convoluted financial entanglement for the right to have fewer vacation choices. But I guess that's just us. What we DID get out of the presentation was a VIP card that got us discounts at the spa, which for us was totally worth the 90 minutes we spent staring at a sales pitch leading nowhere. To each his own. Despite the snarkiness of my remarks, overall we had a relaxing, if not occasionally boring, time. I did get a lot done toward writing my dissertation, which is a definite advantage, but begs the question of why we came to Cancún in the first place.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple