“" Almost Perfect"”

Ranked #38 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Barrie, Canada
“" Almost Perfect"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

From the time my wife & I arrived at the hotel/resort we felt like we were going to be looked after well and we were. Starting with the check in. Even though we were early arrivals, we got our room before the check in time with an upgrade to oceanview and later that evening rec'd champagne&strawberrries&chocolate for a surprise. Watergrill & Beachhouse was better for lunch than dinner
Salt for dinner was the best food we've eaten at an all inclusive. Carlos was a great waiter.
Alexandro in the e-space snack area was good as well.
Only issue, was the signing for drinks, food etc. all the time, but got use to it.Noise a few nights, a little loud.
Good Job ME CANCUN---Totally enjoyed
Rick & Maureen In Canada

Room Tip: Away from elevators if you do not like the noise, but hallways are noisy depending on the young crow...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Rick C
paolamelchor, Guest Relations Manager at ME Cancun, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Rick C
Thank you for sharing you commentaries related to your most recent stay at Me Cancun. I will be sharing your nice comments with Carlos and Alejandro in regards to their service. We also thank you for sharing your input in regards to signing checks. I would like to share with you that we are not a traditional all inclusie, we are a lifestyle resort that besides the basic proposal we also offer a series of services and product to broaden guests´ experience upon a charge. We request all our guests to sign their checks, in order to ensure that anything being charged to your room is actually ordered and authorized by the guest. I am truly sorry you found this inconvenient, I can assure you we will take your comments into consideration for future action. We hope to have youback soon at Me Cancun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I want to start by saying I am an avid reader of reviews on Tripadvisor prior to booking hotels. Once again most of the reviews were right on. Here are my pros/cons:

Pros:
-Service was excellent.
-Beach and pools are beautiful.
-Food was better than expected. Make sure to reserve a spot at the teppanyaki grill at silk. Breakfast was great. Some people have complained about not having alcohol service until 10am. Mimosas and bloody marys are served during breakfast and at the small wet bar located just inside silk/salt.
-Easy airport transfer included with hotel credit offered through most travel booking sites. Service was waiting for us once we left the terminal and we were at the hotel in 15-20 mins.

Cons:
-Bottle service only at adult pool on weekends and bars at night. Pretty silly to not allow guests to have a place to sit during the most popular events.
-Too many typical rude American guests. Nothing worse than sitting at the pool or bar having to hear somebody cry and moan to the staff about slow service or not having ketchup for their 8 pounds of french fries. No wonder the rest of the world sees us as ignorant tourists. You're on vacation relax!!
-Having to sign tabs. Again like everyone else says no reason for this since A.I. guests have bracelets.

Other general comments:
Bar music is definitely loud so if you are a light sleeper ask for a lagoon view room or high floor.
Was not bothered once by a time share sales rep.
No issue with elevators on our stay.
Younger crowd which we really enjoyed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank knup342
Dear knup342
Thank you very much for sharing such an detailed review. We truly thank when travelers take the time to share their experiences. I am glad you enjoyed the food at the resort. Our executive chef Ignacio Azcona and Chef Heriberto Gomez have designed special menus that satisfy the most sophisticated palates. Thank you for pointing out our mimosas and bloddy mary´s for breakfast! we are the very first interested in having people enjoy their vacation and get the mst out of their experience. When it comes to bottlee service, I would like to share with you that we request bottle service only for those beds located closest to the dj, and we include a series of benefits such as the personalized service of a pool concierge and a waiter, plus a top menu to order food from your bed. But if you choose not to rent a bed at the beach club you can access the area and enjoy the party as well. We have build in loungers in the pool and cushions around it too. So it depends if you want the indulgence of a bali bed or simply lay in the pool. You choose the experience you would like to have. we thank you again for your review and look forward to having you back at the resort.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

My best friend and I decided to celebrate our Birthdays in Cancun so we booked a 5-night stay (Tues-Sun) for mid-April at the ME. We wanted to relax but also wanted to stay at a hotel that had a good vibe...not overly party-ish but not too mellow or too family-oriented either.

We chose this hotel because it seemed more hip and modern...and for the most part it was. The decor was very nice and the hotel was very clean but the elevators definitely needed an upgrade as they were slow and sometimes smelled a little foul. We started out with a basic room and upon entering the room and seeing the 45 degree ocean view, decided we needed to upgrade. The ocean view room ended up giving us an almost 180 degree view ..definitely worth it. I was quoted $20 extra per night for the ocean view upon check-in (which I had declined) but once in the room, I was told it would be $30 extra per night...oddly, it was the same person quoting two different prices. In the end, they did end up honoring the original quote. Another thing is that unless you're in a suite, there are no balconies in any of the rooms. I was aware of this though from the other reviews I'd read before my trip.

Now on to the restaurants...this is not a place for foodies, by any means. I'm not even a hardcore foodie but felt that the food was just marginal. In all fairness though, this is an all-inclusive so I really wasn't expecting super fine dining. I dined at Salt the first night and my steak was a little tough and gristly...edible but not delicious. I had teppanyaki at Silk two of the nights....be aware that this is going to be the most different teppanyaki you'll ever experience. The chef overcooked my steak the first night...oh well, I'll live. But the second night at Silk was horrible. The chef seemed to cook in groups...we received our fried rice at the same time as everyone else but given that we were the last ones seated at the table, we watched him cook everyone else's food first. The first group was finished eating by the time we finally got our food. My friend's shrimp was just sitting there on the grill for 20 mins and she requested that he take it off the heat since it was obviously cooked. He nodded and put it on a plate but then just left the plate sitting there. After 10 mins, she finally just grabbed the plate herself. This isn't a case of us being late to dinner...we were perfectly on time. They book the reservations so that an entire table is filled and dinner begins at the same time for everyone. Anyway, we did end up eating at Silk a third time but not at the teppanyaki table. That evening, dinner was pretty good...I enjoyed it. If you do eat at the teppanyaki table, note that the portions aren't very big so I would definitely suggest having an appetizer. And the appetizers were actually pretty good. My best dining experience was at the Water Grill - Brazilian steakhouse. The food was good but our waiter Florencio was AWESOME!! He was so pleasant and helpful...when we expressed that we wanted something other than what they were offering for dessert, he went out of his way to get us what we wanted. We definitely received exceptional service from. The snack bar and the food at the pool (hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc.) are nice extras.

The Rose bar (hotel bar) is in desperate need of some more lively music and at a higher volume. They have a really cool DJ booth + DJ on the weekends but during the week, snoozefest! We begged them to play different music or turn up the volume...our requests were denied. My only major complaint for this hotel as a whole is that although it is an all-inclusive, the bar starts charging after midnight on the weeknights and after 1am on the weekends. I aired my complaint about this upon checkout and the girl helping me confirmed that that's just how it is. Umm, what?!?! Pretty unacceptable.

From the other reviews I'd read, I was expecting loud music at the pool but there was actually NO music...at all! We ended up having to bring our own ipod speakers down to the pool. We had planned to go to the adult pool but it seemed that most of the people were at the regular pool so we didn't bother. We became friendly with Daniel, one of the servers at the pool and he was absolutely great! He almost knew what we wanted without us even having to ask for it. He definitely offered us great service. We were just sad that we didn't see him our last day as he was working the beach party that day. Note that on the weekend, they move out some of the beds at the regular pool so the seating is a bit more limited.

One last thing...we made friends with a bunch of people staying at the hotel and ended up going out to the nightclubs as a group. The guys out front will make arrangements for your night out...give you a contact name at the club, cost info, ride to the club, etc. From what I'm told, this works best when you're in a group. Every night we went out, we did this and had a great time.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view...worth it. The beaches are beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank nocnnp
Dear nocnnp
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for having taken the time to write a review of your most recent experience with us. I have already taken note in regards to the commentary that you were quoted two different rastes for the upgrade of your room and will revise thoroughly with our Front Desk Manager. I have also met with our executive chef in order to share with him your commentaries in regards to the food. I would like to share with you that Teppanyaki table guests are seated all at the same time, in order to cook for everyone at the same time. Whenever a guest is late for their reservation, they get seated however the chef may have already started to cook for the rest of the table, so whenever the first guests are already eating vegetables, the guests that arrived later will be eating their rice. I am truly sorry this made you feel as if you were being served at the end, the truth is that it was never our intention to inconvenience you in any way. I have personally met with the teppanyaki chef and we will ensure we improve our communication to guests to make sure everyone feel taken care of. I am glad you enjoyed Florecio´s service at The Water Grill. I also appreciate your input in regards to music at RoseBar. It is true that our upbeat nights are weekends however during the week the volume of the music goes up whenever the ambiance requires it. In regards to your commentary of having no music by the pool, I would like to take this opportunity to share with you that at the main pool we play soft music, since the beach club where the infinity pool is, is our high energy core, in which upbeat music is played. I understand that you chose to stay at the main pool which explains the chill out music. We thank you again for sharing your commentaries with us.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

What I found extraordinary about this place (meaning not only that it's good, but also that it is uncummon), is that they really make the best of every spot, which turns out in a million places to lay back and enjoy (even in the hallway!).
The staff is really kind and make their best to help you even with odd needs.
What it's not: it's not a good place for children. I traveled with my one-year-old and some places were "adults only". With older kids this could be a problem...

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Yoldin2
Dear Yoldin2
Thank you very much for writing and sharing your review with us. I am glad you found the hotel comfortable, we have really worked hard to create private spaces here and there for every style. I am sorry you did not find the hotel comfortable for children. It is true we are an adult oriented resort; however brands from our company such as Gran Melia are more suited for traveling with children. Anyway we truly hope you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back for a romantic getaway!
tel aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Hi... After a visit last year we came for second visit. The first time was 120%. Now we had some problems with the wifi in the room and elevator that is not working so well...and the thing that for good place in the pool you need to pay 40$ for Bally bed.
This hotel is very good and we want to visit there next time... the room.. The food.. The atmosphere ...
For the price.. I saw that the price now is very high.. I think that 250$ is good..to pay more than 300$ for this hotel is not for me..

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank omer_sch
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I just spent 5 nights at ME this past week. We just celebrated our 4th wedding Anniversary. We thoguht the decor, service and location of the hotel was awesome. The food was not so good. You do not have access to a lunch or dinner buffet, just sit down dinners which is fine but at least the food needs to be high quality. We were very disappointed with all options we had. The only decent option was at the SILK restaurant at the Habachi tables. I have been a part of 4 all inclusive resorts and this was the first one that made you sign for everything you ordered at the pool or beach and at all meal times. It can be a pain the the butt when your just asking for a quick bottle of water and they make you wait around so they can bring you the check. They keep track of EVERYTHING!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ali m
Dear ali m
We are thankful that you shared your experience with other travelers. I am truly sorry to read you did not enjoy our food as much as many other travelers have reviewed here. I have shared your commentaries with our Executive chef in order to revise them thoroughly and identify possible areas of improvement. We truly hope you choose to stay again with us in the future in order to probe that our main commitment is with your satisfaction.
East Elmhurst, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I spent our hooneymoon in Sept 2011 at ME and it was an incredible experience! The hotel was filled with a welcoming and friendly staff. We were greeted by a concierge who gave us tips about the hotel and nearby tourist attractions. The food was pretty good. We enjoyed having lunch looking out on the beach, and the Brazilian and Mediterranean dinners were all worth the all inclusive package. Drinks were up to par, never a disappointment. The pool was fun, the beach and bali beds were spectacular. At night after dinner, we loved going out by the pool. It was somewhat of a lounge area with music and drinks. We would walk onto the beach, with no one harassing us. The one thing we would've like to avoided , is signing every time we ate or ordered something. It just became a little annoying.Overall we give it a 10. Best advice to travelers looking for a relaxing, but fun vacation....don't go on the high seasons to avoid the crowds. We are would surely book Melia properties again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sherri Lyn P
Dear Sherri Lyn P
I am writing to you in regards to the kind review you posted from your most recent stay at Me. I would like tot hank you for such a positive review. We are glad you and your husband enjoyed the experience so much. When it comes to signing checks, I am sorry to read you found this inconvenient. We have a series of services and products available upon a charge in order to enhance guests experience. We ask guests to sign their checks in order to ensure that anything charged to their room is actually authorized by them. We will take your comments into consideration for future action. We truly hope to host you again in the near future.