“Great Time!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Plainfield, Illinois
“Great Time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

This was a family destination wedding vacation. This was my first time in Cancun and we had a great experience. Our family and friends (33 total) all love it. The waiters/waitresses were great! I guess because they worked for their tips. The room service was not so great. I order room serve one night and took them 2 hrs to deliver water bottles. Another night I order food and it never arrived. I'm not very picky so I did not complain. Their restaurants are very good, specially Big Bens. The resort is a family oriented place. They have activities for all ages in and outdoors. The place was mainly clean. I love the design of the resort. It looks like a cruise ship. During the time that we went, March, it was surprising to have very humid weather, at least for me. The love is big and wide open, I loved spending nights there. The fresh breeze blew from the front of the resort right through it. Drinks were very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Relic_23
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Relic_23,

On behalf of all the staff of the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa, I would like to express our best wishes on your marriage, it has been a true honor to us to host your wedding in the Resort.

We are so pleased to know that you, your family and friends could enjoy of a great time with us delighting your favorite beverages in the nice and warm weather that Cancun offers.

Rest assured that we will work on the opportunity area that you bring to my attention in order to improve our quality.

We truly hope to welcome you back on your first wedding anniversary.

Susanna Melikyan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

One of the best waitresses at the resort! So personable and nice. She is a phenomenal part of the staff. She is very attentive as well as friendly. Great Job Tere Pech. You surpass all of the rest. She is just exceptional at wjat she does when ot comes to customer service. Thank you for making our vacation exceptional.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Dalizy S
Dear Dalizy S,

Thank you for sharing with us such a beatiful review and comments about one of the most important ones in our Resort, our staff. All your words will be addressed to her as well to our Management.

We hope to have you back in the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa to provide you another exceptional service.

Bronx, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My mother and I stayed at The Great Parnassus for 9 days. When we arrived at the hotel it was around 1pm and we were told the room was not ready but that we could begin using the facilities as we saw fit which was ok with us because we were starving. After lunch which was delicious I went back to the front desk to see if our room as ready and guess what, it was. Not even a half hour after we arrived and we were all set to begin our adventure in Cancun. I recommend staying here if you have children. If you are sans children you may want to re think staying here. That was the only major down side for us. Over all the hotel is very nice but does need repairs. The rooms are out dated and can use an over haul but all in all it was comfortable and clean. The hotel is in a great location. The best part about The Great Parnassus is the staff. Everyone is so nice and helpful and they are willing to go the extra mile to make sure you are happy. The bartenders are fun and the wait staff is so attentive. A few notable mentions are Antonio and Limber from The Portofino Restaurant and the bartenders Marco and Julian at the Bongo bar next to the Bora Bora snack bar. They are wonderful people. They made our first visit to Cancun memorable and they made us want to go back asap.

Room Tip: Higher floors help avoid the noise from the pool and the eateries.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ChristinaNC11
Dear ChristinaNC11,

Thank you for your preference by selecting the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa top spend your vacation in Cancun.

We are glad to learn that as soon as you arrived you could start enjoying of our facilities and restaurants.

All of your wonderful comments for our staff are greatly appreciated, we all work hard for you to have an enjoyable and pleasant experience, it is delightful know that it was memorable.

We are looking forward to welcome you back home in a near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

This will be long and detailed as there are many plus and a few items I would have liked differently. First, if you are looking for a wonderful relaxing time where you want to enjoy time with your family and trust your children are safe while getting spoiled and pampered, this is the place for you. Walking in the lobby everything was clean and beautiful. Karen at the front desk started our amazing check in and did an awesome job. Anytime we needed anything, she was there with a smile. Pedro then became a wonderful help and got us into our room and gave us some great tips as we traveled to our room. (The moment we checked in). Once inside the room we noticed the bathroom smelled as if people left wet clothes in there for many days. After our first day, we aired it out and the smell was gone. The view was beautiful and the room was spacious for 5. Issues with the room include. No WiFi, hard beds, low water pressure and farthest room from coffee and no coffee pot in the room and since we were on the 3 rd floor elevators were often full when they got to us from filling the 12th floor down. The air worked wonderfully in the room and it was one of the few places to find a/c. We were glad we brought large coffee mugs and water bottles for the kids. We noticed fast the hotel is worked on a clock. Breakfast at 7 am, pool with activities or the beach until 6, dinner at 7 with show at 9 and the dessert and karaoke bar after this. The issue became that everyone lived this schedule and it took us a few days to figure it out. The breakfast staff were awesome. It was difficult for them to bring me mimosas each day, but they did. Nothing in the hotelis really open during the day. The pool activities were awesome and they came around to invite you. You could leave your items at your chair and nobody would bother them. Tip, get to the pool before 9 am for good chairs and they will bring you An umbrella. Eduardo taught our children Spanish and Jose and Miguel made sure we all had whatever drinks we needed at the swim up bar and walk up bar. After 2 days we were recognized and that was awesome. After the same food 2 days in a row, that wasn't very good, we figured out to be at big bens right at 6 to avoid an hour wait. Once this was discovered, we were much happier.
The concierge was useless and there to sell time shares only. That's all, don't be fooled, just time shares. The agents behind the galleria are the most helpful and can get you the best prices on excursions.
The spa was wonderful and had a great one day special. Also since I was scheduling late in the trip, I got a 50% off coupon. I forgot the girls name, but she was awesome. I preferred inside over the outside canopy massages.
The food was maybe average we finally figured out to be at big bens as soon as they opened (6pm). It was the best. Anywhere else we went I was disappointed as they never offered us menus and we ended up with the same buffet we always ate. Other people had menus and one day I asked and they said 'no, just buffet'. So I am not sure if we were too late? A big thing I hated was closing times. Again, I feel like they put you on a schedule that my family never really was able to get on. We saw one show. The michael jackson exp. Wow wow wow. Incredible talent and the kids loved it too.
The karaoke bar was a lot of fun. The kids loved it and it was so family oriented.
I thought housecleaning was way above average and workers were constantly tidying the resort.
All in all, I would definitely go back if we take the kids again. The details of the hotel and helpfulness of everyone (aside from concierge) was amazing. Thank you Karen(front desk) pedro(bell hop) Miguel Jose and Juan pool side and Julio at mangus.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
2 Thank reagmomokc
Dear reagmomokc,

Thank you for choosing the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa, we would also like to thank you for sharing your detailed experience in the Resort.

We are so glad to know that you and your family could enjoy of a pleasant vacation, especially due to the service from our staff, as well indulging at The Spa, the perfect spot to be pampered with our relaxing treatments from our professional therapists.

I appreciate you to bring to our attention some lack of information in the schedules of the restaurants and activities, rest assured that we will take the right measures to prevent that this occur in the future.

Do not hesitate to come back to the Great Parnassus, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Newton, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

Ok it was the morning of July 21, 2014 and my Wife and my 16 year old were happy to be on our way to Mexico for 10 days. We arrived at Great Parnassus Resort and Spa around noon and were first in line to check in. We found that we couldn’t get into our room until after three. We could however use the facility’s as we wished. Being hungry and excited to try some good food we went to the buffet. Well the food was terrible. We did find some fruit that we thought would hold us over till dinner. Ok finely time to get into our room after waiting without any air conditioning at all for three hours. In our room we found that the delay wasn’t due to the fact that they were cleaning it extra well for us. The floor was full of sand and the room smelled of sewer gas. We hoped it would get better so we changed into our swim suits and went to explore the pools and beach. We were very pleased to find a nice pool area. The beach area was also very nice. I can’t say enough about the staff and service around the pool and beach. The staff at the pool and beach bars was the best, well better than our expectations. The entertainment around the pool as non-stop and enjoyable. This would hold true every day. Around seven on our first day we went back to our room to clean up and go to one of the many restaurants in the resort to find something better than the buffet. Well another huge disappointment, the food truly sucked. Over the course of the next few days this was true for all the restaurant’s, we found out that the food was the same as the buffet. Not just bad it actually came from the buffet. Later that night back to our room and it smelled a lot better. After turning on the TV and found it had a blown speaker. Ok we were tired anyway so I called the desk and requested it be fixed or repaired the next day. I was assured it would be and we went to sleep on our extra extra hard bed. The next morning the smell was back and our son complained how hot it was in his bed. We call the desk once more and requested a fan and were told it would be right up. We never got a fan and the TV wasn’t replaced or repaired for our entire stay. Now breakfast wasn’t any better than dinner or lunch. We lived for ten days on the outside grill “Bora-Bora and fruit. As for the staff indoors excluding the hostess at the Samurai restaurant was always very nice. We were on the third floor and glad of it. With only six elevators in the entire resort it sometimes could take thirty minutes to go up or down from our floor. This was due not only from the number of people needing to use them, if one or more of them wasn’t broken they were always slow. Finley on the morning of our check out and glad of it the power and water when out in the middle of my shave. Ten minutes later it was back on and we finished getting ready. Then out again, people were stuck on the elevators for a while and bless those on the upper floors they were basically stuck as well. Due to the fact that the same area we waited in upon arrival was open on one side we waited there without air conditioning. The place was without power when our transportation finely arrived. We were never offered any compensation for our troubles or for the last day which was a wash. This is the first review we have ever felt the need to do, however we can only hope that you will choose another resort and have a better vacation than we did. Everyone we met while there had basically the same thing to say.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the ground floor due to the fact that the elevators are slow and you wont have ma...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Heather E
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Dear Heather E,

We appreciate you to take part of your precious time to share with us your feedback about your recent stay at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa.

We are very sorry to learn that your experience wasn’t up to your expectations. Please accept our deepest apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay and for the lack of follow up to your requests and complaints.

It’s a shame that any of our 10 restaurants with different type of cuisine was to your like. We try our best to cater to all type of palates.

We are glad to know that at least you had a nice experience with our staff, we appreciate your comments for our work.

Susanna Melikyan

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014

My family stayed here late July/early August 2014. We have nothing but positive things to say about this resort. The accommodations were nice with a handy bunk bed half suite for the kids and a queen for the parents. Good cable TV channel selection. And a spectacular view of the famous stunning blue water of Cancun beaches. There is 24/7 room service available. You can have laundry sent out if you're there for a long stretch and need some clean clothes (you probably will, because it's very hot in Cancun… you will be sweating). The bathroom was spacious. The maid service good. A lockbox in the room replaces lock boxes traditionally at the front desk. About the only complaint I had about the room was the wifi service. You have to pay per day (could never get the week long plan to work). And the connection is not only slow, it often timed out trying to load a single facebook page, for example. Very spotty. But hey, I'm supposed to be goofing off not surfing the web, so it wasn't a dealbreaker. I was still able to check email once in awhile or read a few web pages. Otherwise unplugged the laptop and left for the beach or a bar. One other minor inconvenience that the hotel could readily and inexpensively incorporate is to PAINT THE FLOOR NUMBERS ON THE WALL when the elevator doors open. This is standard in the US and I assume elsewhere, but this didn't exist. More than once I jumped off the elevator only to discover too late that I was on the wrong floor. A very simple suggestion would improve the elevator considerably. Again, not a dealbreaker, but if wishes were fishes. A small thing, but a big improvement.

Outside of the room, the resort has around a dozen restaurants. Two indoor bars (though most restaurants had bars as well). There was a wide variety of food selection. It wasn't all 100% my favorite food of all time, but for the price, I was impressed with the selection and it certainly met our needs for vacationing with a family. Where some food might be slightly lacking (again, no major complaints, but don't expect gourmet food), the wait staff, cook staff, and bar staff were all FANTASTIC. I can't repeat this enough. The staff at this hotel is top notch. Very very friendly. Very interested in making sure that you have a successful and enjoyable vacation. If you're around for a few days, many will even know your name. I've generally had good experiences with staff at other Cancun hotels, but this place blew them all away. It made for a very positive experience for my family and the many friends I made who were guests at the hotel at the same time I was there.

This is a family hotel, so much of the entertainment is geared towards kids and teens. The hotel had a very well organized entertainment staff that provided all manner of pool activities during the day (including a reasonable water park) and at night, a teen disco, a show in the spacious theater almost every night, fire dancers poolside, and other interesting opportunities for the kids to have some fun… the parents had a lot of fun too. By the end of your vacation, your kids will be comfortable navigating the grounds often alone (especially if you have an older one that can guide younger ones). Again, I was impressed.

But the hotel hasn't forgotten that there are also parents here on vacation. There are two nitghclub/bars. One is strictly for adults. The other is a karaoke bar that you can bring your kids to. It sounds weirder than it was. In reality it was very well run, clean, and not dangerous for bringing kids to. The adults only bar was nice, quiet, and again, staffed by super friendly staff. For those few minutes your kids are busy during the day, adults can sneak away to the almost-hidden gem at this resort: the rooftop adults-only pool. This is hands-down the most beautiful part of the whole resort. There is a pool, two jacuzzis, loads of lounge chairs, and a large full service bar, that also has cold sandwiches (very good food and drinks). The rooftop patio where this is all located offers a *spectacular* panoramic view of the lagoon side of the "island" (more like an archipelago?). And once again, this fantastically beautiful pool/jacuzzi/bar for adults is staffed by the BEST staff I have ever encountered at a bar… ever. They were so good I know them all by name: Pedro, Cesar, Teo, Emilio, and their apparent boss Victor were all such sweet men. They all spoke English fantastically. They were fast. They were extremely professional. And as I said before, they seemed truly interested in making your vacation an enjoyable one. They know all about Cancun, the history of the area, all about Mexico… basically everything you ever wanted to know about the place you are visiting. This led to hours of very interesting conversation and what felt like very good friends. The patio also hosted a large international clientele. So, it's not just a bunch of Americans, who I can meet at the mall on a Friday night back home. I met and befriended a number of guests from the UK, Russia, Egypt, Australia, Mexico, France, Canada, and America. Hours of fun with this crowd and I assume it's always like this there. The staff were instrumental at making this mix of people gel so well together. Loved loved loved my experience at the patio pool/bar. (and I'm not normally much of a drinker). Don't miss this part of the hotel, even if you have no interest in drinking or getting away from the kids on a family holiday. It's fantastic and I wish their staff all the best. They deserve it.

The hotel has a doctor on staff (which unfortunately I actually needed one day). The doctor was friendly and knowledgeable (he is a doctor after all). I was treated very quickly and it was reassuring to know that help was so close at hand (right behind the main desk). The prices weren't astronomical, but they weren't cheap either. Expect to pay about what you'd pay for a doctor's visit at home. If you need medication (I did). it will be brought to the hotel by taxi and the doctor will call you when it arrives in the lobby. Prices for medications were similar to the US. Nothing too terrible.

There are several gift shops in the lobby. They offer the typical tourist needs… tschotchkes, tshirts, some light "boutique" shopping for women's clothing and a "general store" called Galeria. The stores were ok, and for some things (soda and cigarettes come to mind), the prices were reasonable if a tad high, as one would expect in a hotel lobby. However, some prices were astronomically high. Like crazy crazy high. Like $30 for a bottle of suntan lotion high. (say what?!?). They know they have you. And really you should have brought it with you, but $30 for suntan lotion was an unnecessarily high price for a staple like this. Be *very* careful when you shop at the stores. Check and recheck the prices before you buy. Some things are ok, but some are insane. Take heed. It was convenient. But wow. Perhaps my only real gripe about the whole resort experience to be honest. Also, there are temporary vendors in the lobby that come in each night. They are not staff of the hotel. Watch out for these guys… their prices are very very very high compared to what's on offer just down the street. They are "fleecing the rubes". Probably best to just avoid them altogether.

Ultimate conclusion? Food is ok… sometimes pretty good even, but nothing to write home about. The accommodations are quite nice and perfectly suitable for a fun-filled and relaxing vacation. You won't get bored, but you won't feel pushed around either. And the staff is top notch. I can't stress this enough. The service is very good and the people are very nice. Almost everyone can speak some English. They will go out of their way to help you out. If you'd like to try your hand at Spanish or practice what you learned in school, the staff is always willing to sit through your butchering of their beautiful language (well, ok my butchering of the language haha!). Many visitors will be here from another country. When in Rome right? The staff here never mocks you for trying "take in" their culture. They're always happy to humor you and often and really excited that guests are taking an interest in their culture.

I would return to this hotel with my family in a heartbeat. I would even consider going there just as a couples getaway with my wife. I have almost no complaints and nothing but good to say about the hotel. They know what they're doing. You will have a good time. Americans might take a few days adjusting to the air conditioning at this hotel, because it's never frigid like it is in the US. But I have found the same to be true of every other hotel I've visited in Cancun. It's very hot in Cancun and there's just no competing with it. You just have to give in to the heat and enjoy the topical climate.

Room Tip: My room faced the ocean and it was a stunning view, even though we weren't directly adjacent to...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
5 Thank Fred M
Dear Fred M,

Thank you for choosing the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your family vacation in Cancun, it has been a pleasure to serve you throughout your stay.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed of oue Food & Beverage selection including 10 restaurants and 11 bars, in addition 24hrs. room service. All of our guests traveling with kids also appreciate that our exclusive adult areas where you can enjoy of pool with two Jacuzzis, pool bar service as well our Atlantis bar for adults.

Being a Family Resort we have activities for the whole family in separate areas such as the kids club, teens club, only adults and entertainment for all together in our evening shows and theme nights.

All of your wonderful comments for our hard working staff are greatly appreciated, we try our best to offer you experiences beyond expectations.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back at you new home in Cancun, either if it is for a family vacation or for a romantic getaway.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014

I stayed here front 22/7 till 2nd august with my two children aged 8 and 7.
After a 4 hour delay leaving Gatwick we arrived to the hotel feeling hot and tired. I had booked a family room but was given a free upgrade to a suite over looking the lagoon. It was very nice and had a Jacuzzi on the balcony.

Sara who cleaned our room was fantastic and did a great job tidying up after us.
Receptionists Martha Maria and a few others were helpful at all times.

Mathilde Ake in the bar was polite welcoming and never too busy to give you the personal touch.

I cannot remember the name of the pool guys by kids club but they were professional and kept my boys entertained.

I found all the shows that was put on by the entertainment staff in the evening to be absolutely brilliant. I did feel annoyed when people would get up and leave during the performances. Paulina and the team would put on activities for the guests during the day, water aerobics was a good one!

Going downtown is straight forward R1 R2 all stop outside the hotels. R27 which is not as frequent also stops there and it takes you to Las Palmas mall which I felt was more reasonable than the ones nearer the hotel.

Market 28 is a waste of time and a rip off!

My only two issues with this hotel was the Wi-Fi, in this day and age I think it should be free even if in just the rooms. Also I did not understand the role of the concierge and what they were suppose to be doing??

I actually wished I had stayed longer as towards the end I was discovering more things to do, when using the gym stumbled upon the sauna and steam room which I did not realise was free thought it was part of the spa service.

Room Tip: Higher floor, I was on the eighth floor overlooking the lagoon and it was perfect
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank fabankwah .
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your vacation in Cancun. We are so glad to know that you could enjoy of a complimentary upgrade to one of our Suites, is not very known but the lagoon offers spectacular sunset views.

We appreciate your comments for our hard working staff, all the activities and show that we set up are made for the purpose that all the family members be able to enjoy them. Our Concierge are there to help our guests with any request they may have and to give advice when you want to explore the zone, dinner reservations, etc.

We hope to welcome you back on your next vacation for a few more days, it will be a pleasure serve you again.

Susanna Melikyan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Grand Oasis Palm
GR Solaris Cancun
GR Solaris Cancun
#32 of 182 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,237 reviews

Been to Great Parnassus Family Resort? Share your experiences!