“2nd time good time”

Ranked #71 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Valley View, Pennsylvania
“2nd time good time”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Myself and 4 friends went to the great p for vacation. Overall had a good time. The only downfalls were too many kids at the swim up bar and the room air conditioning did not get very cool. The staff at the restaurants were the best. If you want the best at the buffet get Lucio and Carlos. Slide them a couple bucks and they will run their butts off for you. For drinks in the hotel or the beach look for Gloria or Taracita. Great workers and very polite.

Room Tip: When you walk in the lobby ask for a room on the north side of the hotel as there is a noisy air con...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank John K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
eldridge, iowa
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The Lobby staff was worthless and of no help whatsoever , however the rest of the staff was wonderful and worked very hard! Not a large selection of drinks. The food at the Japanese restaurant was good everything else was very " average" . The view from the room was beautiful, that being said the room itself was kept clean but everything was falling apart and needs serious renovation. The mold in the bathroom was absolutely disgusting! You have to order water from room service and if you ask downstairs you then have to purchase it. Check in was awful and we stood in line for an hour because there only had one person working. Was told when making the reservation what sort of room we would have and that is not what we got. The beds are pillows are like rocks! I will say other than the front lobby which is very important the rest of the staff was very curtious and very helpful and they work extremely hard!

Room Tip: Best view is from upper floors!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank lisa c
Highland, Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week-long stay at the Great Parnassus to celebrate our 10th anniversary. I had done a lot of reading of reviews and found that most were favorable, so we went ahead and chose this resort. We had an amazing ocean-suite room (644) and loved every bit of it! All of the options on the steam-shower did not work, but who cares? The shower worked and we were clean! The room was very clean. The bed was really firm, which we were not used to, so that was a negative but hey, who needs sleep on vacation, right? It rained a few days while we were there and yeah they had to put towels down when the roof leaked. No big deal to us, as the staff was very active in getting it dried up as quickly as possible! The towels soaked up most of the rain but they came along right away with mops and squeegees to get it cleared as soon as the rain stopped. I found that the staff are very busy working to keep the common areas clean and they appear to work non-stop! The food was okay, but we weren't expecting gourmet. We at one night at the Manhattan for dinner and it was alright. We ate a few times in Magnus. Loved the tostadas at the Mexican station. The guacamole from the veggie bar was amazing paired with the chips from the Mexican station. The Italian was not bad either. We absolutely LOVED El Maguey. Each day featured a different flavor of margarita and the food was outstanding! Samurai was just eh....not bad but not amazing. The wait staff was extremely overworked the night we visited. Breakfast at Sanctorum was also outstanding. The waiters here usually work breakfast and then go to work lunch at El Maguey. It's nice when they begin to recognize you and learn your names! The snack bar Bora Bora was alright, pretty greasy but I highly recommend the chicken strips! Two nights we went to the Golden Parnassus for dinner. The Old Barn was really good but we were not too impressed with Pier 12. The bar at the adults only pool was our favorite. Julian the regular bartender is amazing and will know your name by the end of your first visit and greet you each time you return! My only complaint about this is that there were not enough bar stools and it closes so early (hours 10-6). Also we noticed that the swim-up bar in the adults pool was not open and apparently has not been for a number of years. As many have mentioned before, it's nearly impossible to get a chair by the pool unless you "reserve" one by early, early morning. We noticed people "reserving" chairs on the beach also but were always able to find a spot. Overall, we really enjoyed this resort and will definitely return with our children as I hear the kids club is also great!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 230TheresaF
Watertown, New York
Reviewed March 21, 2014

There were 10 people in our group...3 adults and 7 children. Our initial check-in was a bit unorganized as they lost our reservation, but they took care of it and had us in our rooms (408 & 412) within an hour. Our rooms were on the side with the big noisy air conditioning units, but we didn't plan on spending our trip sitting in our room, so it was not a big deal. Nice view of the ocean and the lagoon from the balcony which was huge(loved my morning coffee out there). The family suites were exactly what anyone traveling with kids would want. Very roomy and plenty of storage. The kids loved the set-up of the hotel. The food was definitely adequate...something for everyone. My favorite was the Japanese restaurant, but the kids loved the snack bars with hot dogs, french fries, etc. The buffet style restaurant was by far the easiest, and there was something for everyone no matter which meal...from fresh fruit smoothies to steak on a stick!
Room service we used almost every day for breakfast to get my coffee...always great. My biggest rave was for the service, we were treated like gold by the servers. Lucio was the best at The Magnus, he saw us coming and had our table ready before we got there. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the ice cream shop where you could get coffee, cookies, or crepes with your choice of toppings. The majority of the money we spent at our hotel was on gratuities, although not expected was definitely appreciated. I would recommend this hotel for anyone that is traveling with their children, we don't usually go anywhere twice but we are considering visiting here again. Overall, there was something for everyone, and for the first time ever, I seldom looked at a clock while we were there!

Room Tip: Unless you plan on spending your vacation in your room, all of them were great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TerriP01
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

Massive hotel, French restaurant is the best place to eat! The room service is not very good and they don't restock the mini bar! The 10th floor breakfast restaurant was lovely in the morning! I didn't like the way certain tips of people would fill there plates up and not eat it and leave the food outside for the seagulls!! We never went to the main pool because of this and people telling us that they fly past there heads in the pool and poo everywhere, something needs to be done about that! But that would only be a little moan at there is so many things to do its a great hotel! Would go back had lots of fun in the karaoke bar.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank maj5ash
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2014

we had an amazing week at great parnassus!! our room had an a great view of the ocean (room 1140). rooms on higher floors, such as 7th floor and above are likely to have better views.

location: amazing, right on the gorgeous beach.
room: spacious, bright and clean room! great view (depends on room)
food: great food! steaks at big bens restaurant was very good!
drinks: the drinks were good, but were not presented as nice as other resorts.
staff: very friendly staff! the staff who were working on the beach area clean worked all day, and dont get any recognition for their hard work in the sun.

i just want to appreciate all the staff who work tirelessly.
great staff : jose(at french restaurant) and abel (at big bens restaurant) patricia (bar)
entertainment: not very good for younger travelers.

it was a family resort so it got very quiet around 11pm at night, with not much to do. however, we explored nightlife in Cancun city, and it was great!

Room Tip: room 1140 was amazing. higher level rooms have better views!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blue m
Dartford
Reviewed March 20, 2014

The reviews have been quite varied for this hotel so we did not have a great expectation but hoped for the best. I am so glad that I was not too influenced by the negative reviews because although the building has a few dents with wear and tear that is the only thing I could find fault with. The positives are plenty so I will briefly mention as much as I can to help you make up your mind as to whether to book this hotel.
- the flight is LONG!! we flew over Greenland, Canada and down the eastern seaboard of the USA. I was very tired and weary on arrival, so was not too impressed with queuing to find out what room we are in, and the receptionist did not smile once so my first impression was not good. We had a room on the right hand side (facing the sea) but asked to be moved due to a loud humming noise that annoyed me, but my husband did not notice it!! We went through our TC rep - April. she took us to reception after our welcome meeting (which I recommend for Aprils knowledge and dedication to ensure you have the best time you can have) and she asked on our behalf and we were given a family room on the left side facing the sea, so our view from the balcony was the sea rolling in to our left and the lagoon to our right, both very picturesque.
-the room is big and clean and has all the wardrobe space and drawers we needed plus a flat screen TV with lots of channels, a huge bed and a modern bathroom with separate toilet. The safe is free. You get a beach towel token each and can have a clean beach towel as often as you like. The maid (our one was Luisa) cleans your room daily and I tipped her $5 at the beginning of a 10 night holiday and $5 at the end, she worked so hard and our room was spotless.
- the restaurants - well - the choice is the best I have ever had, from the buffet - Magnus (thank you Yansi for always offering to get our drinks) the selection of fresh food, food prepared in front of you eg sushi, noodles, fajitas, omelettes, smoothies etc as well as the salad bar, the selection of drinks and the staff who cannot do enough to assist you, we sat in the adult only area but there is lots of room for families with a panoramic view of the pools and the sea. There is also A la Carte restaurants - Big Ben, Manhattan, Samurai, the Mexican restaurant, the Italian buffet and the adults only French restaurant - which was our favorite. the food was high class, cooked and presented well (the chef had our compliments each evening we visited) and the best service - Josure, our waiter, was an efficient and charming man who at our first visit impressed us so much we said we would return on the Saturday to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary, and he remembered and prepared balloons and a special cake. When I forgot to take my glasses to read the menu Jorge the manager lent me his glasses which to my surprise I could read the menu. I could not have had better food and service at a top restaurant where I live.
The pools and pool bars were kept clean and staff were always around to assist you, the poolside food selection was good if you did not want to go into the buffet at lunchtime. Drinks were plentiful, no limit on how many drinks you could have, my husband who is strictly a beer man is now rather partial to a pina colada and a strawberry daiquiri!!!!
The beach has plenty of beds, some shade, a bar and the beautiful Caribbean Sea. We swam every day and walked along the beach to try to work off some of the calories we consumed!!
I REALLY want to emphasize that the staff are the most attentive and helpful I have ever encountered, and they do not expect tips, I would occasionally put a dollar in the jar on the bar, or leave two dollars on the table, and they really appreciated that.
I would go back to this hotel in a heartbeat, purely for the staff and the food.
I would recommend it to all ages, families are well catered for as are the elderly, and our age and young adults were a minority but we did our own thing and the youngsters went to the clubs of an evening and slept it off in the sun during the day at the hotel.
It is great value for money and a positive experience and a good base to do the trips you want to do, we did Chitchen Itza which is a must, and we did excaret and swam with sharks!! Two amazing days. Do consider this hotel when looking at Cancun, I wasn't disappointed!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side facing the sea are quieter and the front of the hotel have lovely seaviews
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Debi47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
Grand Oasis Palm
#49 of 175 in Cancun
Secrets Playa Mujeres Golf & Spa Resort
Dreams Sands Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Great Parnassus Family Resort? Share your experiences!