“Conflicted”

Great Parnassus Family Resort
Ranked #71 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Okay well I stayed here for 2 weeks Oct 2-Oct 15th with my 19 year old daughter. Upon check in was told we were upgraded to VIP which was cool but was not sure what that entitled us to. We booked a Lagoon suite and was supposed to get wine, fruit basket and robes, along with the lagoon cruise and in suite dinner. But there was no wine, no fruit basket and No robes. Plus we didn't even have the mini bar/fridge that came with the room. So here I was complaining the very first day.
Not going to go into great detail about this trip as it had many ups and downs. Definately think that the restaurants should be open later and with more than 2 to choose from per night. The pools also should be open later. The best part of this resort has got to be the entertainment staff. They put on great shows and are really helpful in many ways. David was an exceptionally polite and nice person. When we came home from being away from the resort he always greeted us with a smile and asked about our day. Overall I'm not sure if I would stay at this resort again as I think there were more cons than pros unfortunately. If I could take the entertainment staff to another resort then I would go there. It actually seemed that the front end people, concierage, front desk and guest services were lacking in hospitality compared to all the other staff. You know the ones who actually try to make your stay the best possible. We decided that for our Mexico destination of choice would have to be going back to the RIU Emerald Bay in Mazatlan. Overall a much nicer and friendlier resort and even the locals aren't as pushing as we found them to be in Cancun. I would recommend staying at this resort only if you see more positive comments than negative. And if you do stay here, say a hello to David on the entertainment staff from Tara from Canada. CHEERS!!

Room Tip: Definately go with the ocean front rooms. Spectacular views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Tara,

Thank you for staying at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa. It was a pleasure to serve you throughout your two week stay in the Resort.
We truly appreciate your kind words for our entertainment staff and their work, we value them as we know our staff is our most valuable asset.
Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences faced during your stay, especially if this made you spend uncomfortable moments during your vacation.
Do not hesitate to come back to the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and provide you our best service.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I read many of the reviews on here prior to choosing this hotel and tried to go in the middle and not extremes of what people said - it couldn't be that bad. (Be sure to read SAFETY below.)

Well, it is and isn't. Part of it one must understand is that during low season, not all of the restaurants operate at dinner time...so yes, you have to choose between 2 and not 5 or 11. Magnus which makes up most of the restaurants is your basic mall food court. They have booths for sushi, pasta, poultry, mexican, grill, salads, deli, etc and that's your only choice for breakfast lunch. (They serve breakfast items from the same booths).

That said, the dinner restaurants weren't bad. Certainly the dinner buffet seems to be a rehash of what was offered at lunch time (all in one place). NYC was standard food fare. Samurai the Japanese place - food was delish the first night, then wasn't so good the second time around. We were wondering if there was contention going on in the open kitchen area.

The room...We were upgraded to a family room (for 2 people). We were told it had more room than the standard we booked. Not sure if it was more room or just the inclusion of bunk beds that provided more room. We never saw the size of the standard. The room was roomy none the less. No desk, so if you came to work - forget about it. The TV accepted HDMI and VGA which was helpful to playback our own movies/etc. The bed was surprisingly comfy. I like soft mattresses. This was a brick, but I slept well - with enough pillows provided in the room.

The food...We landed at noon, at lunch at Magnus...I had chicken enchiladas and plastic. Yup. Found a nice long piece of plastic bag (top) in the food I was chewing. I don't know if it was psychosomatic or what, but I was extremely sick that evening. At one point my SO inquired about med-evac. I wasn't that bad, but there was concern. After several hours and trips for both ends to settle, I was fine by the next morning.

Resort...The resort was averagely nice. It was what I expected from reading the reviews. Not elegant, not luxurious, but sensible and functional. The pools - very nice. The secluded adults only pool - closes too early (5pm) (few people use, but still...adults). The spa and secluded hot tub(?) was nice. Nothing fancy again - nice and right for the price.

The food...part 2. The day before we were returning home, the SO got sick before dinner. Fever, chills - not the typical 'revenge' one thinks of. 4 hours later I too started getting ill. We were stable for the trip home. We never ate off resort and only in the restaurants and room service.

Safety...Safety doesn't exist at this hotel and to be far, maybe not in Mexico. It's likely they do not have the same building codes for emergency lighting among other things.
During our stay, there was a power failure around 9pm and lasted for 30-40 minutes. there were no emergency lights in the rooms, open hall, stairwells, etc...The only lights were from people's cell phones and thru windows of the nearby hotel (with power). Going down 6 flights of stairs in near pitch black darkness - barefooted....not what I was counting on. Did the staff ever acknowledge the failure, the safety, concerns, during or after the failure? No. Guests were left on their own, to their own devices, with or without lights.

Having stayed there, would we stay at this hotel again? Probably not. This was our 5th trip to Cancun and this is probably the lowest cost place we have stayed. Next time we'll try to find something more in between what we've done in the past (Beach Palace, etc) and this place.

Room Tip: Ocean front or lagoon front are the best rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony S

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa. We appreciate you to take the time to share your experience with us.
Our gastronomical offering features more than 6 restaurants for dinner, even if they’re not open every night at the time, there are at least 2 options for dinner, plus Magnus and 24hrs. room service.
By this way I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the incident of the power failure, this kind of circumstances are not always in our hands to control, however, be sure that our team works hard to solve every issue in the Resort, with safety procedures.
We are sorry for not having the opportunity to welcome you back for another vacation at the Great Parnassus.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Check-in was super quick. Eddy at the reception was very friendly and very patient
Veronica Lawson at the pool bar was very welcoming every time we asked for a drink
The entertainment staff was awesome. I liked Angie and the other guys who performed on stage. Nice selection of shows every night
Excellent room service
Samurai has awesome spring rolls

Cons: Have some more options at night for vegetarian. Only one day out of the seven days there was only Big Ben that was open which had no vegetarian option. Had to rely on room service on that day

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MMF260

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa to spend your family vacation, we are very glad to know that you and your kinds enjoy of a fun and pleasant stay in the Resort.
We appreciate your suggestion regarding to our food selection for vegetarians, this will be considered to work on with our kitchen’s team.
We hope to welcome you back for another great vacation at the Great Parnassus.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

we stayed from the 26th - 4th September / October 2013 we really enjoyed it,

staff were very polite and kind very attentive.

Amelio in the downstairs bar was lovely always helping us and always smiling he got on very well with my partners father which was lovely i couldnt fault him.

fernando who was in the adult pool bar was also amazing he was very fun and kept us all entertained throughout the day up there.
we even went back another day to see him but he had been moved to work in another part of the hotel and we couldnt find him then! which was a shame!!

we would com eback just for them 2 staff!!

the food was nice fresh for you.
big ben was lovely i would definatley recommend the fillet steak

also if staying here try out the sister hotel golden parnassus (ADULT ONLY)

we love it there we spent a couple of days there.
the shanghai or whatever its called resteraunt near the pool was to die for.

overall really enjoyed it just wish we stayed longer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank beccy w

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Great Parnassus Resort & Spa, we are glad to know that you truly enjoyed your stay at the Great as well as at the Golden Parnassus, our Adults Only, sister Resort.
We definitely feel honored and delighted when our gusts acknowledge our staff due to a great service provided.
Don’t miss a chance to come back to your new home in Cancun.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

To start off we booked our vacation with expedia.ca about a month in advance. We flew on West Jet. Our family consists of my husband a three and half year and a 18mth old and my self. We have been to cuba twice with children and Jamaica once you can read my other reviews on those. I just wanted to give you an idea of my past travel experiences before I wrote this review. As a parent of two small kids its hard to find decent reviews sometimes.
Checking in was quick and painless at Halifax airport, we took three bags of luggage and a sleep tent for my son (which we didn't use) we also gate checked a large double stroller (baby jogger city select model) We had three seats together on plane. We had to purchase food no meals were included. Flight was on time. Upon arrival in Cancun our gate checked stroller was actually given to us at gate this was nice and doesn't happen always on this type of vacation. Now the airport...we were warned about people selling time shares, they will approach you often with various welcome offers, gifts, tourist "info" we just said no thanks and kept on walking. I didn't find these people that aggressive but maybe we didn't look like the type of people to target being the fact we had two cranky young kids and we travelled through the airport like we we're on a mission. Again we didn't stop for anyone we went straight to customs and the straight out to the buses a the end of the terminal. Our transfer was in a small van with two other men. We waited about 20mins for our transfer but once we were picked up it was a short drive to our Hotel.
We paid we little our vacation I think it was around 1800cdn for the three seats and my daughter was charged 16$ (lap child). We went in with low expectations. The hotel is odd shaped like others have said. Honestly all I care about is the food, beach, and daycare.

So this is the first time I had been to resort where you do not book your reservations for dinner n advance, we just had to walk up to the ala carte restaurant and wait in cue, but honestly we never had to wait long maybe five minutes. We went to the Manhattan twice , Port a Fino twice, Big Ben once, the Japanese twice I cannot recall the name. We ate at Mexican one twice for lunch aswell. Our small children were with us for all the meals except for one. The food was decent most of the time and there was lots of choice, the Japanese was the best for us, but the waiters at port a fino and Manhattan were super friendly and accommodated our children needs often. We ate at the buffet for breakfast every morning and lunch a couple of times, the service from the wait staff was awesome at the buffet we had same waiter most of the time but we had some others too, they all went a made toast for us and brought it with butter and jam packets. They also brought us coffee and juice, so this meant we didn't waste as much time waiting for toast etc and our family could actually sit down in eat together which is hard normally at buffet with two kids. We did tip them everyday but they deserved it, it was the best service we have every had at a all inclusive buffet. The food was so so here but lots of choice and we always found something.

The beach was deep and very very long, lots of chairs now note we were there during a slower time. The beach was nice but the water was very very rough and it was windy too. We didn't get it the water much due to the large heavy wave action. The beach was nice to just hang out and relax. The sand was soft. It was a little tricky getting to beach with stroller there is a set of stairs to get down to beach but we managed. We usually spent early morning at beach, then mid morning kids went to baby-club, we picked kids up for lunch then we spent afternoon around pool. The pool was large and multi levels, this is one down fall there is no kiddie pool just a section in shallow end of regular pool and it drops off fast. I had to stay close to my 18 month old at all times around the pool. The pool was clean and lots of umbrellas and shade. There is a water park for kids but it wasn't age appropriate for our kids, but looked like a lot of fun except for the fact it is on the opposite side of the hotel. We did go to the adult only pool when our kids were at baby club a couple times, it could be a nice place with some investment in more landscaping. The adult only area has a hot tub, a cold tub, a small pool, and bar. It's on the roof of a the conference centre part of the hotel it's like a desert up there because there is only a small amount of shade.

The baby club staff took good care of my kids they did activities with them. The baby club is air conditioned so I found it was good for my kids to get relief from the heat. Our kids went to baby club one evening while we did super alone :) I'm not a helicopter parent if my kids have all their digits, are safe and treated kindly I'm good.

The room was a family room it had a separate little section like a walk in closet with not door that had a set of bunk beds and a tv. My three loved this he had his "own room" and tv. My 18 mth old slept in a crib (play pen). The room has a nice view of beach. It was a little worn but was clean and plenty of space. There was no fridge. But room service came with bottled water and beer quite quickly, again the hotel wasn't full so I'm guessing anyone that comes here over busy periods may have a different story. The ac worked like a charm. The bathroom didn't have ac unless you left the door open. We left a tip on the bed everyday for the maid (male) this was a first for us.

We did go to shopping mall and aquarium via cab once, it was expensive but that way we had our double stroller. The aquarium isn't huge but kids enjoyed it, it was sort of pricey to get in. There were quite a few time share people around the shopping area but we shrugged them off politely it was easy with too small kids. We ate at the Macdonald's at the shopping area it tasted like home.

We brought our own apple juice packs, and tetra packs of milk for my kids. The apple juice at resort is very dark and kids didn't enjoy it at all, I met other parents that said there kids would touch it either. They have some beach toys to sign out inside the mini golf hut. I did pack my own dollar store blowup pool toys.

The resort brings animals in daily to have your picture taken with the picture process is free but if you want to own a 8x10 copy you must purchase it. So be afraid to let your children go say hi to monkey, iguana or parrots it cost nothing to do so. We did purchase a couple picture because they were too cute.

This hotel was a decent resort in many ways, if I had a little older children it would have suited them a little better due to the pool not being the best laid out for them. The food and service we good.

I have one complaint and I was livid at the time when I was there, we put our kids in babyclub to go out to the French adult only restaurant, we dressed up and went to eat. The waiter turned us away due to the strict dress code, I had on a navy dress with a white cardigan and a black sandal style shoe with a small heel. The waiter stated that they did not allow open toed shoes. I was a little upset but thought okay no biggie we will eat somewheres else I'm not going let this ruin my supper without kids, we went to Japanese restaurant and had a great meal. After dinner we walked by the French restaurant and I decide to have a peek at the other women's foot wear, the walls are full glass so it's easy to see in, anyhue, there was a older women with sandal style dress shoes on, honestly I very upset at that moment. I did not have beach flip flops on, I actually packed the black sandal style dress shoe with a small heel. This women however did look wealthier then me and it was a party of four, maybe the door person was thinking about the tip, who knows but I was pissed. Rules are rules and if I have to follow them then why did this lady get in, also the place only had a couple other tables so there is no was she 'snuck' in because it was too busy. That's my only rant. If you plan on going to the French restaurant follow the dress code to a tee or you won't get in, ladies that means on a beach vacation you need to pack a pair of closed toed shoes.

The time share people in hotel lobby never bothered us. Check out was breeze. Internet was not free.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Melissa B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us such a detailed review of your recent vacation in the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa.
Great Parnasuss caters families to stay due to our Kids Club and Baby Club as this a special feature from our Resort. Our facilities at these areas are specially made for the little ones to enjoy of activities and games organized by our professional and certified staff.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the uncomfortable moment lived at Le Maison de Michelle, we have a dress code for this restaurant that should be applied to all of our guests.
We will be more than glad to welcome you back for another family vacation in Cancun.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

A bit late for this one- went 2 times April 2012 and April 2013 with my son who was 6 then 7. I have to tell you I have been to much nicer places for kids (dreams riviera, dreams punta Cana, marina el cid) and worse (royal Solaris) but for some reason my son loves it here. There is enough choice for food that you should always find something you and your kids will eat. The rooms are very average and the beds not super comfortable but for the price that is what you get.

If you don't like kids and lots of them then go somewhere else. This place is crawling with them including the swim up bar as well as running the hallways. If you are a light sleeper choose another hotel as noise travels.

What makes this place special for us is the kids club which my son absolutely adores. They have a schedule for the week which outlines hourly activities which for the most part is followed. I found the kids club staff to be friendly and took good care of the kids.

The second time I was there I spent a few days at the adult pool but I found it to be way too quiet. There was maybe 10 people at the most at any given time.

I personally prefer the dreams chain but we did have a good time here both times. Remember you get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Steve441
Parnassus2011, Chief Concierge at Great Parnassus Family Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa, we also appreciate you to share with us your feedback.
Our Resort is mainly to welcome families traveling with kids, as they truly enjoy of our Baby and Kids club where children can find a playground, waterpark and activities especially organized for them. We also have family rooms featuring bunk beds for your comfort.
Do not hesitate to come back to the Great Parnassus to enjoy another family vacation.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I are in our 20's and we stayed at this hotel in December of 2012. The hotel was good, food was good, but this hotel is for families that have children. We were ready to let lose and have fun and we had children bugging us the entire time - especially while in the pool! On our last day we discovered that we could go to the sister resort Grand Parnassus and our wrist bands would get us in there as well. This resort was for adults and SO much fun. We are bummed we found it on our last day. They had beer pong and flip cup in the pool and the adult only atmosphere made it so much more relaxing. So if you do not have children - take the shuttle over to the Grand, if you have kids...the Great will be wonderful for you!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Natalie B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Great Parnassus Resort & Spa once again.
When staying at the Great Parnassus guests are allowed to use the facilities from the Golden Parnassus, our Adults Only sister resort, we are glad to know you could take advantage of this service even though it was just for one day.
We will be glad to welcome you back to any of the Parnassus Resorts, your home in Cancun.

Zazil Roca

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
#33 of 177 in Cancun
Oasis Palm
Oasis Palm
#75 of 177 in Cancun

Been to Great Parnassus Family Resort? Share your experiences!