“Not what it used to be, but still fun.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Parnassus Family Resort

Great Parnassus Family Resort
Ranked #70 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
“Not what it used to be, but still fun.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was our second stay at the Great Parnassus. Our first was 5 years ago. The hotel itself has aged much since then with very little or no updates. If you are looking for a place that offers a nice beach, so so food, and aren't too uptight, then this hotel is a good value. The clientale has changed much since our last visit as it appears this is a hot spot for Latinos. Americans were definitely in the minority and some of the cultural differences may may bother some people. Simple things like elevator ediquette and the concept of waiting your turn in line. Im sure there are things Americans do that are equally frustrating. English is still spoken throughout the hotel. This is an open air hotel meaning the lobby and buffet dining areas are not air conditioned. Even in the morning it was hot when eating breakfast. We really liked the food in the Japanese steak house and the Big Ben restaurant. We probably won't be back, but as I said the value isn't bad at all.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank ckcrazy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (841)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Yellowknife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a blast last Dec, liked the room, loved the staff, Mexican Restaurant was the best on site but open unusual hours. Loved the location and large stretch of beach with good distance between resorts on either side. My only gripe is that we bought a VIP membership and I have tried reaching 4 people / departments by email over the last week and haven't had one returned. Disappointing as I only want to pay off the membership and book our 2014 trip. Come on GP get someone to respond to my emails.

Room Tip: Family bunk bed room was perfect.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Toby C
Perkasie, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We don't normally return to the same resort however our kids had such a great time last summer, we figured what the heck. The food was good, however nothing new was added. The entertainment staff (though different people from last year, except Roberto) were also amazing. Always kept things fun and exciting during the day. Unfortunately the evening shows were not as good. The bartenders were horrible, drinks were either so strong you couldn't drink them, soda flat or just yuck.. Stuck with beer, which I usually don't do. The hotel is in desperate need of updating.

Thank you Roberto for remembering us and to your staff for making our vacation fun!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki F
Ambergris Caye, Belize
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great Parnassus is an All-Inclusive hotel that has a good pool & slides, lacking greatly in other areas.

When we arrived to the Resort, our reservation was not even introduced into the system no explanation was given. We waited for front desk to call reservations, then waited some more for a manager. We were asked if we had a confirmation #, to produce this we were given access to their computer but had to pay to print the email which had the information required. Even with that, we could not have access to the room we were billed.

Anothet hiccup, after traveling for 6 hours to arrive, the entire resort had air conditioning failure for the duration of the night. We were offered a room with one bed and were provided with a torn beat up, dusty matress which was placed on the floor, the bacony outside had an oddly placed cemented area which upon closer look was once a jacuzzi. The sheets on the bed were stained but at this point we were too tired to ask for a change.

Food options were limited, basic & not appetizing.

In the morning when we went to inquire about change of rooms we had had enough and at that point were ready to leave. To make matters worst, the ac was still in repair and would be finished till the afternoon.

The bathrooms in the lobby area were broken, leaking. It was not a good start to the vacation we envisioned.

While we were trying to make cancellations our girls enjooyed the pool/slide area which I deem the best part of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

After booking this hotel for 4 families (10 adults, 3 kids) and reading all the mixed reviews I was worried but hoped for the best. My family of four (2 adults, 2 kids) actually had a really good time AND we enjoyed the food after we figured out when are where to eat. For me, Magnus was a disappointment the first day. After we really looked at all the options, my husband liked the stir fry for lunch and I liked their breakfast only. French Toast, empanadas, and quesadillas for breakfast were awesome. Smoothies were good at the fruit station. For lunch, I preferred the El Maguey restaurant (Mexican cuisine). So good! For Dinner, we ate at Portofino and Samurai. I preferred Samurai. AWESOME. The staff at all of the restaurants really try hard to make you happy and go out of their way. Room service was fine. Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are free flowing throughout the resort.

I agree with everyone else that the bathroom (shower and sink, not the entire bathroom/ room) was a bit worn out and needs to be redone. Other than that, the room was fine. Beds are firm not rock hard like some other reviewers said. View was spectacular. Don't bother upgrading from a deluxe to a jacuzzi in your room free or not. We didn't use it at all. I personally didn't like the higher floors just because I don't like heights and it's an open concept so I was hugging the wall to my room. The resort did offer to change our room but we didn't have time the next morning since we already booked our excursions prior to even getting there. I didn't take off points for that.

Buy sunscreen before you go since it is 3 times the price at the hotel (to be expected). If you have little kids that can't swim (like mine), buy arm floaties before you go. They worked well for my 3 and 7 year old.

The Elevators closer to the lobby area have air conditioning. The ones closest to the beach/ Magnus are hot. The lobby is going to be hot since the lobby is an open air concept. There are no doors it's just all open to the Caribbean air. The hallway that leads to the kids club and El Maguey is also hot but bearable....you are in Mexico after all.

Towel Exchange: I loved that they gave us towel cards. We could always get dry beach towels when we needed or get the towel card back so we didn't have to lug heavy towels around.

Tours/ Excursions
We did the Isla Mujeres day trip through AquaWorld. It was AMAZING! You want to be sure to bring your swimsuit on this trip. We had to catch a bus down to AquaWorld for this trip but it was really easy and we paid about one dollar per person to get on (buses come every 5 minutes). Once we got to Isla Mujeres, we also rented a golf cart and went around the Island where we found a turtle farm and paid approx three dollars per person to enter. Once we got back to the beach, we had lunch, laid in hammocks, played on the beach, kayaked, and swam in the ocean (all included). They then took us to another part of Isla Mujeres to shop. We found an internet place and made calls back home to the U.S. for very very low rates.

We also booked the Dolphin Interactive through AquaWorld which was at Dolphinaris next to Wet N Wild. After reading some of the reviews, we did not pay to enter Wet n wild but we did pay for transportation to and from the hotel. The Interactive experience was awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that they didn't allow pictures and theirs were so expensive.

On our own, we caught the bus (in the direction of AquaWorld) down to Isla Mujeres shopping mall. If you need your Starbucks fix, this is where you can get it. It's an outside mall.

Overall, the hotel was wonderful. Pool was great, people were nice, beach was FABULOUS. It really is what you make it!!! Oh.... we also got to release some baby sea turtles one night into the ocean at the sister hotel, Golden Parnassus, but we could not take pictures cause it would confuse the turtles. AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother to upgrade. Also if you are scared of heights, choose a lower floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Busy40bee
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Just got back from this this hotel its a beautiful hotel clean bright the pool area is really nice on the beach & the food was ok. We went all inclusive & it wasn't cheap we were told that some water sports was included in our package on the beach but when we asked about these activities they were included but not on our beach it was a 10 minute bus ride away Evening entertainment was sitting in a very hot old cinema for one hour watching a very limited variety of Mexican entertainers repeated weekly not really for families with children or teenagers because they were bored there were no other form of entertainment at all after you had your evening meal unless you took the bus & went off the complex then only to shops there was nothing else to do . Our son & his girlfriend booked a quad bike trip for half a day(4 hours) through our Thomas cook rep it cost them £156 they didn't get half a day they only got 45 minutes when they complained to our rep when they got back he did absolutely nothing at all to refund any money not even half of the cost he just told them he'd e-mail his office! That was the end of that! a complete waste of time. Also we bought phone cards to ring the UK the phones in reception wasn't working so I used our room phone & for a 15 minutes conversation it cost me £94. If you have got a family with children or young adults try & find a hotel with entertainment in the evening because there's none at this hotel & its very boring.

Room Tip: we were in rooms 627 631 & 622 no Jacuzzi that we requested but nice clean & spacious.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracy J
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

So we had a much anticipated multi-family trip to the Great Parnassus (3 families, 15 of us in all) and for a family all-inclusive resort, none of us had much to complain about. We all had a great time. My family has 2 kids: aged 4 and 7. The other families kids were 5,7,7,12,18,19,22. Let me discuss some main topics:

RESTAURANTS
OK, so the Buffet (Magnus) isn't much to write home about. The food here is only so-so. Just know you will not like the bacon and sausage and all else is OK. My kids LOVED it here cuz they loved having the power to pick whatever they wanted. The pastries are usually pretty good. The Mexican area has great empanadas and tacos. The pizza and pasta are good. The smoothie area is fun (especially for the kids). My kids loved getting jello and ice cream when they wanted.

The outdoor restaurant (Bora Bora) is good. My kids liked the chicken nuggets (good quality), the fries, the nachos, the hotdogs. The burgers didn't look good to me. They had a good cheesesteak sandwich.

The italian, asian and steakhouse restaurants were all good enough. My fave was the lasagna at the italian restaurant. Mmmm! The Mexican restaurant over by the Kids Club was fantastic! Highly recommended. Never ate at the french restaurant.

BARS/SERVICE
The drinks are GREAT. Definitely bring your own large insulated cup and make your drink go further and last longer. They will fill anything. Also, definitely bring $100 worth of $1 bills for tipping cuz the lowest denomination you can get at the hotel is a $20 peso (which is just under $2). Most of the servers are just fine without receiving tips at all, but they are so friendly and they work extra hard for your tips. All the bartenders were great!

NIGHTLY SHOWS
The Micheal Jackson show was lots of fun. The Magic Show was also incredible. The rest (what I saw of them) were just ok. I wish their theater was a little big bigger. Get to the shows on time or you will be standing.

ROOMS
We had a family room on the 4th floor (441). It was awesome and had a great view. I thought the bed was VERY comfortable. We could see both the lagoon and the ocean and the empty lot next door. Our A/C worked well, we just had to keep our curtains shut during the day to keep the heat of the sun out. We had NO sewage smell issues like I've heard others complain about. Everything worked great. Only complaint was the kids TV (by the bunk beds) had no remote and all the channels on that TV were in Spanish (no way to escape this). It ended up being ok with the kids, they would be so tired at night that watching cartoons in Spanish was AOK with them, they just liked being able to watch TV while falling asleep. I wish there were mini-fridges in the family rooms, but we got around this by bringing a portable, collapsible cooler and just keeping it filled with ice every day (there are several ice makers per floor). This way we were able to keep our drinks cold.

ELEVATORS
The first 2 days we were there, one of the elevators (the one closest to the sports bar) was broken and the wait was painful. We took the stairs going down almost every time to save the wait. (although keep in mind there is a Lobby which is 2 stories tall and a floor 1, so being on the 4th floor is actually 6 flights). But then they fixed the elevator and everything was great. We also discovered there are 2 other sets of elevators on the side of the building closer to the lobby and took those when we could. Yes, the set of elevators by the sports bar (closed to the beach/pool) were crowded and hot during the main part of the day, but really it was no big deal to us.

ROOM SERVICE
It was convenient to order room service the night before on the card you hang on your door knob, but it usually arrived 15 minutes after the last cut off time you ordered for (so just about when you're ready to leave the room). The food would inevitably be cold and the milk warm and souring. After a couple days of trying it, we ditched room service for just ordering fresher food at the buffet. Much better.

WATER
You are allowed to order 4 complimentary bottles of water at a time from room service. I think you could do it multiple times per day, but you always have to call to request them and you must be there to receive them or they won't drop them off.

KIDS CLUB
Unfortunately, we didn't get as much exposure to this as we would have liked cuz our 4 year old wasn't in the mood to be left on this vacation. If they would have toys in their play area, that would help immensely, but the play area is really barren except for an indoor gym thing which I don't think he was allowed to play on cuz it was in the baby area. There is an Arts and Crafts time, but we always unknowingly dropped the kids off during water park time and my youngest wasn't a big fan. My 7 year old LOVED the water park (and so did all the other kids in our group) and enjoyed the kids club. I guess my youngest was just a year or two too young to embrace his freedom from us like our 7 year old. ;-) The ladies who worked in the kids club were very nice and tried hard to engage my youngest, but it would only work for so long.

IN GENERAL
The lack of air conditioning outside of our room didn't bother me as much as I expected since most of the restaurants did have some A/C running. Yes, the lobby is open air (and hot because of it), but when there's a breeze, it's really not that bad. The Magnus buffet restaurant was really the hottest of them all with the sun beaming in through all the windows.

OFF-RESORT
It was super simple and easy to leave the resort with our kids whenever we wanted to (we did this 3 days of our 7 night trip). Just walk out the lobby and down the stairs to the mail hotel zone road. A bus picks you up right at the corner by the Great Parnassus. You can easily go downtown or to other areas of the Hotel Zone for just 80 cents or so. We were gone with the kids both night and day, bus is safe and easy, we enjoyed the time we spent off the resort.

Overall this was a really great family trip and we enjoyed the resort, and we definitely would consider returning. The workers were friendly and nice, the rooms were comfortable and the amenities and food were completely in line with what we paid. We recommend the Great Parnassus to anyone traveling with their family!

Room Tip: Family rooms (with bunk beds) are only on floors 1-4, we really liked floor 4. We listened to other...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank PlanetKatie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cancun
Smart Cancun by Oasis
GR Caribe by Solaris
GR Caribe by Solaris
#23 of 181 in Cancun
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,000 reviews

Been to Great Parnassus Family Resort? Share your experiences!