“Disregard negative comments”

Great Parnassus Family Resort
Ranked #70 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We travel quite a bit and read the trip advisor comments before booking our vacations. We find that the majority of the comments are from people with negative comments. The Great Parnassus can satisfy even the pickiest of people. They have an area for just adults, just children, teen club, baby club, common area and great beach, lots of activities and for those who complained previously about the food-how can 10 restaurants all serve terrible tasting food. In fact we even went over to sister hotel Golden Parnassus and found the food to be very good there as well. The building has a unique design-looks like a ship from the inside. Majority of rooms face the Carribean. If your room doesn't face the Carribean side and faces the Lagoon, you get a room with an outside hot tub and view of the sunset-spectacular. Have to mention the staff. Must be a good employer because in two weeks there, we did not encounter one disgruntled employee. All were happy to serve. Impressive was when they would say it was their pleasure to serve you. OF note, Angel from Animation, Cesar from the Manhattan, Benjamin from ShagriLa, Victoria from Cancun Queen, Bartenders Fernando, Teo and from Kilimanjaro were excellent and fast. If any negative, bar tenders could use more help. All brand name alcohol-Drinks are not watered down. Front desk staff very accomodating especially Carla. If you have a problem with your room, go to the desk-don't complain. We were there for Super Bowl and what a party they put on in the theatre-Movie screen TV for the game! and lots of food and drinks. Twice we did not get towels in our room. No problem-called front desk and they brought them right up. If you ask for fridge in room, they will accomodate you. There is 24 hour room service

Room Tip: Bring closed toe shoes if you want to eat in French restaurant and long pants for the males
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dezorzi1

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This Hotel screwed up our reservation & almost got kicked to streets last night because they showed us checking out a day early. Thank god I had a copy of reservation with me! Food was gross, breakfast ok but rest horrible! We have 3 kids & they liked swim up bar but there is no teen club, that was a myth. Everything is a VERY long walk to get anywhere, pool, room, shops...etc. if you want to do the pirate water slides , plan on walking all the way to front of resort. Regular pool is at very back and had chicken bones & a maxi pad in it! Gross! Don't exchange US dollars for pesos at desk, just go right to the little store to the right of front desk and buy a 2$ bottle water and if you give them a big us bill they give u back pesos at no charge. But everyone takes US dollar. ATM machine in lobby gives US dollar but 5$ fee. Waited 1 hour for hand& bath towels and washcloths to shower. Hung the breakfast room service card on our door night b fore to have coffee when we woke in our room every morning but NEVER got it! The beach was nice, cocktails were majorly watered down! We won't ever stay there again. The Golden Parnassus is better but it's for Adults. Oh and they lied about price when I got there it was 50$ more!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Fonda S
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Well we had a great vacation...

room...is large, but no fridge !!! but there is room service 24hr a day so no problem..we had room 732 and we had a nice sun every day coming in the room...it was wonderfull !!!! and a nice ocean view ...!!!!!~~

food...food was good...lot's of good things to eat, we like the creperie 24 hr coffee...ice cream for the boy's ...the buffet in the morning is great...bacon ,,eggs french toast, but of course the milk doesn't taste the same..waffles at the creperie with caramel and fruits was the best !!!!

pools...it was very good , nice for kids, of course if you book in a resort were it's free for kids and with waterslides ...yes there will be lot's of kids !!!!! so go at a no kids resort...the people who works arround the pool are all friendly and you can see they love kids...

entertainment....well couldn't go to often...the boy's sleeping at 9....but what we saw was good !!! but the kids are entertain all day with the workers....they went just beside the motel to feed the iguanas, treasure hunt at the pool bar, mini putt ,frisbee contest for kids,surf board contest for kids....so they had plenty to do...!!!!!!!

this hotel is clean...they just don't stop cleaning !!! if you need towel you just ask...i did and 5 min. after they were in my room...our room was cleaned every day and they even changed the sheets every day !!!

wi-fi... well it cost 15$ for 24hr so that was great for us we could skype the grand parents every day for a few minutes....and it cost 15$ well yes if it would be free it would be great !!!!

the check in and the check out .....was fast and fun and the room was ready when we got there..(2 pm)...and the bell boy's are very happy to help you !!!

the stores in the resorts...some are expensive but we like the one beside the creperie ...nice little souvenir for cheap price !!! and very smile everytime !!!

the beach.... for the children very nice and life guard on duty...the waves are strong and yellow and red flags all the time of our trip...but we board a bus and went for a 10 min. ride a few miles and there is a nice shallow beach and little wave..very relaxing !!!!

fun family vacation....the airport is about 10-15 minutes away...we had lot's of fun, we relaxed,shoped at a flea market (very nosy and they want to sell !!!!) had my braids done there for 10$ half braids and they wanted 25$ at the motel...but the same night my elastic were all broke...well not all but lost 4 the same night ??? lollll i got what i paid for...hihihi...

PHOTOGRAPH ~~ there's a photograph in the motel...oh yes !!! they take pictures of you with monkey,birds,snakes,iguanas,alligators,etc...very nice pictures!!! they come arround the resort arround noon ...very nice souvenirs ...my kids loved the monkey !!!(COCO)....and we had a nice family session with Mallolith and her male co- worker they are sooooooo great !!!! thanks you again to you two ...!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank josee75
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I am a very optimistic person so when I booked this resort I tried not to pay any attention to the negative reviews! Boy was I wrong to do that! I'm going to start with what I did not like. I'm not picky or a fancy person but I paid money and I was upset with this vacation. The buffet that serves breakfast/ lunch/ dinner had the same food the whole week. A couple of times when asking the cooks for food(example: cold cuts, more ice cream),they would look at you like why are you taking their food away and where very mad looking, it was terrible:( The sausages for breakfast were terrible they didn't even look like food,my kids could not eat cereal because the milk tasted weird.My husband bought bottled water because theirs was like drinking chlorine. The restaurants had ok food , meaning kids had only choice of chicken strips and French fries at all restaurants so I would order them from adult menu. The Mexican restaurant next to the kids pool was closed for the first couple days of the week then finally opened, and when we sat down It had mouse droppings on the table where I was sitting- I had no desire to eat anything after that. I called the waiter over to wipe the table and she said ok, looked at me like I was crazy and didn't wipe it. My friend asked for a drink from the bar, when she recieved it the cup had someone's lipstick on it, from then on I carried straw around with me because I was so disgusted. We usually have fun anywhere we go and we try to make the most of things, so what I have to say about entertainment is it was cheesy. The lobby was a place were we hung out ALL the time, it was grand, open and beautiful so every eve. We would sit on the couches and chat while the kids ran around. The weather was great for most of the week, and the beach was amazing. The red flags were up for most of the time so if you wanted to swim you had to be aware of the strength of waves and always swim close to shore. My kids, ages 6&8 loved the kids swimming area with the ship. I will never come back to this resort and suggest you do your research about what is important to you in a vacation that you spend money on.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Kuzk
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We stayed here for 16 night 19th Jan-4th Feb. One couple in 50's and one couple in 20's, we had two Oceanfront suites which had wonderful views of the pools, beach and sea, these rooms are the best in the hotel with very large balconies and personal jacuzzis large enough for 4 people. The rooms themselves were spotlessly clean with dressing rooms nearly as big as some hotel rooms I have stayed in.
This is a hotel aimed at families with ALL entertainment geared for children which is fantastic if you have kids with you. There is a swim up bar and three pools all were freezing cold. On our first morning we all sat by the pool and all we could hear were the children screaming, we tried the swim up bar but only got as far as our knees (we chickened out sooo cold), we all looked at each other wondering where had we come to.
I asked one of the workers if there was anywhere else for adults as I was sure I had read it somewhere ( we only booked the night before travel) "Oh yes mam there is an adults only pool on the 2nd floor". We grabbed our things and up we went ....HEAVEN. Two large jacuzzi's a small pool with swim up bar (closed) and a lovely round bar in the middle of the patio. This is where the fun started, well I think we started our own fun along with the wonderful barman Teo whom went out of his way to make sure everyone have a good time, he would have your next drink ready with a smile even if you were in the jacuzzi he would bring them to you. Fantastic Service!! On 3 occasions Teo was not there and the place was so different, we left on those 3 times. (hope that says something to management)
The food was good with lots of choice. But if you are the type of person who expects gourmet and fine dining then what are you doing at an all inclusive. We had the pleasure of the restaurant on the 10th floor for breakfast which was lovely if you do not mind waiting an hour for your food as the service was very, very slow.
On the whole the staff are very pleasant. There is a tour desk where you get your towels by the pool, the staff in there are quite aggressive sales men promising the world but they did not deliver in our case and were very rude and untruthful only interested in getting your money. Wolves in sheeps clothing not to be trusted.
Overall we would probably not go back to this hotel without children even though the rooms were wonderful. We would definitely return with grandchildren. Without children we would go to the sister hotel. Adults Only Golden Parnassus which was very nice. You cant please everyone all of the time but The Great Parnassus does a great job of trying!!! Well Done and Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2013

what can i say enjoyed everything about the hotel the food was great so much choice and very fresh food the staff where great from stepping from the coach room service was great and there was food 24/7 very clean cant wait to go bk here the bad things sum people have put on here are very false people we met there dint have a bad word to say about the place nxt time we go bk to mexice we will be staying here cos it was fantastic

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lee c
Reviewed February 13, 2013

This place is great for kids not so for adults.... I would never go their without kids but with a famaly of 3 kids aged 11-9-7 years old it seemed like a good place!!! The place is super clean room restaurants public places nothing to say it's all good the biggest probleme here is the food.... it's no bad it's just not that good... We didin't get sick so that was great!!! but exept the little mexicain restaurant near the kids water slides the rest we tried where just not tasty... you could always find something to eat and by all means we didint loose weigth here but the taste of the food....could have been better! We go in all inclusives every year and we are used to better but for the price we paid for 5 it was jut fine! The kids really loved it and would go back in a heart beat...the parents not so much... the beach is very dangerous for kids but it's clean and the water is cristal clear! animation team very frendly! in the restaurant service is very it and miss ...some are great some are just ok
we still had a great vacation and dont regret going just dont think we will go again...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family