“I had a good time!”

Great Parnassus Family Resort
Ranked #70 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Let me just get the negative out of the way early. We traveled with a family of 13 and had booked 5 rooms. My wife and I along with her parents were shipped to the sister hotel (The Golden Parnassus - Adults Only). They stated they were overbooked and informed us when we arrived. Needless to say this was not appreciated. However, they promised us if we would stay over there for two nights they will upgrade us to a suite and comp us a free massage in the Spa. They had a shuttle that brought us back and forth between the hotels so we could be with our family. However, the last shuttle was at 10pm each night. The Golden Parnassus is great for honeymooners and couples, but this vacation was for partying and being with the family. So I found the adults only hotel to be boring and bland. When we checked in to the Great Parnassus we did receive a suite but it was facing the Lagoon side. I complained because we had booked a deluxe ocean view. But it worked out to our advantage. The Lagoon side gives you a great view of the sun setting. And also helps to dry out your swim wear from the beach and pool. The suite is nice and roomy. It has a large balcony with a jacuzzi. The adult pool is below these balconies. So watch out for the occasional Peeping Tom if you use the jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and the room is up to date. We didn't have a fridge in this unit (802). But my mother-in-law did in her unit (801). Yes, right next door. Try to get a room on the odd side of the hotel. The Hilton is next door and their A/C blares all day long. So that could be a problem if you don't like noise. The bathroom has a separate toilet and double sinks. The shower is nice but the beautiful electronic gadgets does not work. But all the different shower heads do. There is even a walk-in closet in the bathroom area. The hotel is shaped like a cruise ship and you can hear when everyone comes and goes from their rooms. The doors slam very loud all day long. There's a swim up bar, 3 pools, 1 kiddie pool and an adults only pool. The Water park is also great with a side for younger kids and teens. The beach was rough while we were there. We were told it was due to the weather. It only rained twice during our stay and only lasted for about 10 minutes max. Our wait staff was excellent by the pool. Eunice and Yazmin were great. Our cups never ran empty. Whew!! That's all I will say about that. Lol! The VIP breakfast lounge was good too. Pedro was the man! He was so nice for it to be so early in the morning. This is a lounge on the 10th floor only open to those with a purple band (VIP - Suites). It was called the Sanctorum and had views of the pools and beach below. Not only were we stalked by time share people at the airport but they are also in the hotel. We took the tour and the offer that they gave was amazing but we were not ready to commit at the time. The Spa is marvelous. Be sure to get a couples massage. The food is mediocre, but that is the trend sometimes with All-inclusives. If you need to travel don't take a taxi. The transportation system is awesome. The buses come every 5 mins and only cost $1 usd per person per ride. We went downtown and different places a lot. We wanted to rent scooters during our stay but everyone advised us not to. And if you travel a lot, you'll see that they are very aggressive drivers in Cancun. It's not safe if you are unfamiliar with the city. So we took the Ferry to Isla Mujeres which was $15 usd round trip. Over there is more laid back and we rented scooters for $20 usd for 2 hours and drove around the whole island twice. It was really nice. You can pay $40 usd for the whole day but it's not necessary. But use your time wisely because the Ferry only operates at certain hours as we found out at we had to go to a different port. But we just took an second bus that brought us back to the hotel zone buses. Overall it was a blast. But 8 days wasn't enough for me. I wanted to go to the bullfight and see the Mayan Ruins, but didn't get a chance. We did go to Aqua World which is right down the street. We took the submarine our and the Aquatwister. The submarine took you through the coral reefs. But it wasn't a submarine per se it was just a large glass bottom boat. If you are claustrophobic this is not for you. The Aquatwister was a speed boat on steroids. This was fun and get you soak and wet as it spins out of control through the Lagoon. So I will definitely be back to catch up on all the other tours.

Room Tip: Get an odd numbered room. The even numbered rooms are noisier. Ocean front for sunrise, lagoon for s...
3  Thank Urhynis
Write a ReviewReviews (5,372)

Reviewed July 18, 2011

I stayed for nine days with a family of 4, My mom, my dad, my 5 year old brother, and myself ( an eleven year old boy).

The room was great, the maid service exellent. There was never a problem with a room. It would be nice if the room had a mini fridge, but that isnt a big broblem. The Elevators were TERRIBLE. I raced my dad from the twelth floor down to the lobby, I took the stairs and he took the elevator and I won.

The food was ok, I guess. Some restaraunts were good, the mexican place by the waterslides was the best. Some restaraunts on the other hand ( Big Ben, Portofino, Samurai) weren't that good at all. Manhattan was okay. The food court (Magnus) was pretty good, that is where the teenagers eat.The lines for the mexican place in the food court were horrendous.

A lot of people complained about the teenagers, we didnt find them too bad, however they definatley didn't make the stay more enjoyable.

The pool was great. The ocean was even better. They had a jagermeister tent up on the beach blasting club music and being annoying.

We went on several excursions, Chichen Itza, Xel Ha, and the Isla Mujeres. The Isla Mujeres is a must see, there is an amazing restaraunt/ Cafe in the middle which is amazing.

However, I was reading through the other reviews and I noticed they only complained about objects there. By objects, I mean the food, the service;etc. But there was something there, the atmosphere. Which was amazing, on the last full day I stayed I played pool games from 11:00 all the way to 5:00! I didn't have a hard time making friends, and it was a blast.

2  Thank Mike W
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I just returned last night from a 5 night stay at the Great Parnassus. We had two rooms in my party. One for myself and husband-on the 12th floor odd numbered and one room on the 10th floor also odd numbered for my mother in law and our two daughters age 4 and 15.

Rooms were clean and maids did a wonderful job of cleaning up our rooms every day. I will say the rooms look a bit old but it didn't bother us at all and they were all clean and fully functional.

We all really enjoyed the food and drinks. Sure some meals were better than others but for the most part all was good. You just cannot expect olive garden lasagna at an all inclusive Italian restaurant in southern Mexico.

Pool and beach were great. We didn't interact with the entertainment staff very much. Just love the beach so much.

My 4 year old LOVED the pirate ship kids area and did play with the children and staff in the day care area. We didn't leave her in the day care but the staff let her play with them and participate in whatever they were doing under my mother's watchful eye. She said she would feel comfortable leaving a child with them- we just didn't need their services.

Overall a really great stay. Clean rooms and facility, good service, nice staff, good food. Just not a luxury hotel which was fine with us.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Runnergirl13_1
Reviewed July 16, 2011

- I do not recommend this hotel! Booked the hotel because we thought it was good for kids and teenagers (have a teenage son) The hotel was filled with teenagers- all drinking and partying. NOT a family atmosphere. They hotel quieted around 10 PM when the teenagers left for the night clubs and then around 4AM every night they came back hooting, whistling, shouting and generally being obnoxious until around 7AM when they went to sleep. There is no air conditioning in the lobby, elevators or the restaurants. Some of the Restaurants were better then others (Mexican restuarant was outstanding but was not open for dinner!) The food in Portofino was inedible.
Look for another hotel.

6  Thank helened58
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This was are 2nd stay in mexico. Last time we stayed at Moon Palace Resort and Spa which was an amazing hotel but couldnt justify £1500 each for 1 week this time to return. On the coach the way to the hotel everyone is scared into buying ridiuculous yellow mosquito bands from the thomas cook rep's. (Dont be fooled there arnt mosquito's). When arriving to the hotel u are hit with the size of reception area, huge and beautiful. Dont pack beach towels as all provided by hotel. There is a hairdryer in room and is powerful (thumbs up).
Drinks are given in tiny cups and arnt very clean around the beach side pool but us and alot of other people bought flasks from the hotel shop and asked staff to do drinks in them which was fine (thats my best tip). There are lots of good branded alcohol, just ask for it. Fernando 2ND floor pool bar is a great guy, really fun and makes lots of cocktails and shots. Fully stocked bar some only half stock.

Money wise you could go with no money we took loads and spent hardly anythin. Just lots of dollar bills to tip staff e.g cleaners and waiters.
When leavin mexico you need to pay tax at airport mexican dollar or english £. We took us dollars but found it was mainly mexican dollars for everythin and struggled to change money (reception didnt have much change). If you want to use internet while there in sports bar it only takes us dollars.
Theres a lovely spa, gym and tennis courts,take ur trainers incase u have a dull day.
The entertainment staff are lovely have lots of fun activitys for everyone day and night. (loved tequila vollyball). They also do nights out were u pay and they take u to bars with drinks included talked to afew people and they recommended this to us. We found ourselves waking up at 6am and getting to bed by 10 by the time we got into a routine it was time to come home.
While we were there it was very hot and sun is very high and likes to burn ur scalp so id recommend a hat or headband.
We ordered room service afew times all food was well pesented and the steak is beautiful. You will find nowhere can give you a bottle of water so just call room service they have plenty. We would go back, was a bargain for what it was ;-)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank linzi06
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The worst place i have ever stayed for the money spent.. We went with a family of 11 and only the kids enjoyed it (they don't know better). They allowed young kids, 15-20 year olds, drink uncontrollably, the entertainment staff actually poured the alcohol in there mouths. The Spa and the hotel are NOT connected so if you go to spa do not have them charge it to your room..The exchange rate for the hotel was different to the Spa and ended up costing me 46.00 more at check out. The Spa was not open before i left so i had to pay at the front desk. NO security late at night and kids running the halls all night screaming and yelling. I know its kid friendly but this was ridiculous. They only have 1 beer (XX). It also takes about an hour and a half for room service for bottled water..I will never return to this place.

4  Thank jrichsc
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I had my wedding here on Jan 29, 2011 and let me tell you I was so stressed because of lack of reviews and information on this resort. I got setup with Zazil the wedding coordinator and it was smooth sailing from then on. The wedding was better than I had hoped for and Zazil catered to every need. The hotel itself was BEAUTIFUL food was great from several resturants and just okay for others, but let me tell you my husband gained 10lbs while we were there so good food. Entertainment was a plenty and the children's area was clean and fun. We went with 30 of my family members, and we all left satisfied and that is rare. My family stayed 4 days and then we stayed for 10 more and was NOT ready to go home yet. I saw a lot of complaints about time share salesmen, we saw them but have to say they really didnt bother us that much. Rooms were clean and showers where to DIE FOR! Loved them... have to be one of my favorite parts. Rooms service is 24hrs and quick. We used it alot. All around I would go back in a heartbeat and actually we are in October 2011.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family