“Nice Hotel Close to a lot of places”

Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club
Ranked #124 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I was a little hesitant to stay here because of some bad reviews but was surprised to find that its actually a very nice hotel. Yeah its a little hidden from view but thats because its in a sort of private driveway cul-de-sac place. Really nice area although at night it may be a little scary to walk all the way to the hotel since its tucked away but we stayed there for about a week with no problems. Lots of security guards around so we felt safe. Its in front of the Barcelo hotel and right in front of the Embarcadero which is where one can catch the ferry going to Isla Mujeres. The way we remembered where our hotel was is that there is a huge tower that says Xcaret right in front of the Embaracadero. This was helpful when we were taking the bus to the shopping centers. The bus stop is also very close by no more than 5 min walk from the hotel. Also next to the hotel there is a little convenience store for water and snacks, a little further walk is the laundry service useful for wet clothing and then next to that is another convenience store and restaurant. The money exchange place is maybe an 8 min walk and then there is also an OXXO store nearby.
The hotel itself is very nice lots of greenery, trees, plants, flowers. A nice restaurant we only ate there one for the free breakfast nothing fancy just jam, bread, cereal, coffee and a muffin.A very nice swimming pool maybe 8ft deep with a smaller area for the kids and a volleyball net. Nice lounge chairs too. Spacious lounge area with free Wi-Fi to call the family back home or to just relax with friends. The rooms were two bedrooms a little hard but that was not a problem. Air-con worked fine very cold althought the unit looked a little beat up lol. Floor a little slippery so be careful. Hot and cold water very nice and clean. Tv and cable no problem. They do offer a security locker kind of small we didn't use it and nothing was ever stolen. The cleaning lady came in every day and every other day would leave us two bottle waters. Remember to tip! Also important to remember check out time is 12:00 pm. I forgot and we checked out at 3:00 and was charged $30 extra. Not bad and the people are really nice they didnt bother us one bit.
One thing people may not like is that this is one of the first hotels entering cancun so you really cant get anywhere on foot unless your going to Isla Mujeres then the ferry is right across. A bus ride is the best way to go and the shopping centers and clubs are maybe 10-15 min ride. Plaza Kukulcan as well as El Rey Ruinas and Playa Delfines are a bit further down maybe 20 min ride. Overall a nice hotel with a lot of amenities would definetely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmarti39

Reviewed May 28, 2010

Ok I stayed at this hotel once when I traveled to MX. because my father who was in Merida was very sick. I only spent one evening and was gone by the following afternoon. From my expirience it was worth the stay. I had a room i got for dirt cheap " i mean nothing at all" mainly because it was in the final stage of renovations and I couldn't use the masters patio. There where 2 or 3 rooms I'm not sure I didn't look past the second. I was on the 2nd floor looking out to the lagoon. I had a nicely set bathroom with everything I needed. I had cable a flatscreen with free internet and I was set. In the morning I hate a great meal that I paid the usual average resturant price nothing over inflated (eggs toast meat and coffe) I think around 4 bucks or so. I admired tihe lagoon for a while then got my taxi and i was off. all in all I had a great stay for circumstances.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2010

EVERYTHING ABOUT THE HOTEL!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL

- The cleaning lady steals from you (and even when she refused to have stolen the large amount of cash the management believed in her even when we had all the evidence of her stealing our money - of course she would never say yes.)

- The staff is extraordinarily rude - The manager did not know how to satisfy the basic rights of the customers (a large amount of money was taken from our room and the management did not help us at all - they only laughed at us and told us to go to the Mexican police station).

- The breakfast was horrible - they put fruit, juice, yoghurt on the table but you are only allowed to eat one piece of dry and disgusting bread and drink a glass of juice! The continential breakfast,which is included to the guest do not live up to any standards - we were really shocked.!

- tour packages were waaay over priced at this hotel - DO NOT PURCHASE TOURS FROM THIS HOTEL!

To sum up - Seriously, if you want to enjoy your stay in Cancun, Mexico I strongly urge you to go somewhere else - we thought that it did not matter where we stayed however we realized that this place did in fact have a large impact on our vacation in Cancun. Had we stayed elsewhere our memories and experiences would have been sooo much better!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank mullgirl_6
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I suspect people who like the glityz side of Cancun will not like this hotel. It is cheap, basic, clean and quiet, more a place for locals and back packers. My wife and I stayed there with 4 teen girls, none of whom once said "Eeeeuw". It's a little out of the way but we all were perfectly happy and found the food excellent. (And we are Californian food snobs)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We weren't very enchanted with Cancun to begin with...we just spent the night there after travelling elsewhere. We had paid in advance and they claimed we hadn't. We're both fluent in speak spanish, so it's not like we weren't understanding each other. When I tried to say that we had paid and showed them our confirmed reservation, the receptionist told me not to be rude, when I was just asking why the confirmation showed the amount paid already but we still, supposedly, hadn't paid. The other staff we encountered were pretty nice. The hotel is in a very tourist area, and nothing feels like Mexico. The restaurant had such slow service that we ended up leaving, and there were only about 4 other people in the restaurant..who were only having drinks! And we waited for about 15 minutes without anybody hardly acknowledging us. But the rooms are clean and the hotel has a nice layout. If the service is better, then it would be very nice and fun for families.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2010

If you're looking to spend a few days in Cancun, enjoying its magnificent beaches but avoiding the overwhelming paraphernalia of eyesore international resort monsters, including their Orlando-esque restaurants and malls, then this hotel is a great value for you. It's located at Km 4 of Boulevard Kukulcan, which means you are a quick hop on a bus away from the city center, as you are from some of the popular beaches further south in the Zona Hotelera. But if you don't want to travel, you are a few meters from Boulevard Kukulcan, across from which there's an "public entrance" to the beach and the dock with ferries to Isla Mujeres. Excellent location for that. There are few restaurants in the area, and some supermarkets. You can also have dinner at the hotel restaurant.
The hotel is not fancy, but very comfortable and relaxing. The pool is big, with some deck chairs and the marina just behind you. Breakfast is served under a huge palapa, where you can sip coffee while you enjoy the view of the yachts and the lush tropical garden. The rooms are very spacious and clean, and include a room safe, cable TV, and aircon. The staff is very friendly, both at the front desk and the restaurant. I would go back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2010

This is a suprisingly pleasant hotel with, clean, adequately spacious rooms, really nice gardens surrounding the pool, a nice palapa-style restaurant for breakfast (with good WiFi), and friendly staff.

Our room was very nice with large french windows opening onto a private patio with a path leading to the pool through the garden. However there are other rooms which seem to only have a small window (described in other reviews).

The area is quiet with no noise or light at night. The beds are firm which is how I like them. We didn't use the air conditioning (mentioned as noisy in other reviews), so no comment there.

Obviously this isn't a 5-star hotel, and a few details could be improved (stained mirror in the bathroom, ceiling in need of painting) but overall it's great value.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family