“hotel sotavento”

Ranked #109 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
Orlando, Florida
“hotel sotavento”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

A hotel with a very good location, nice clean rooms and very friendly and helpful staff.
it is located right on the ocean and also has a verz nice pool at the sight.
The continental breakfast was more than enough located in the restaurant in the hotel.
the transfer from downtown, the beaches could be reached very well through a bus system 50 metres away!
it was also possible to book tours and excursions next to the front desk.
all in all we were verz satisfied with the stay in our hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sassie2707

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I was booked here for 2 weeks from the 2nd of january, we lasted 5 before we damanded our travel company to move us. The hotel staff were rude, arrogant and generally didn't care. The hotel it's self is very old, and nearing the end of its life. There are big problems with red ants everywhere outside, so sunbathing by the pool isnt really an option. It's a long bus ride to the nearest decent beach. Although the outdoor breakfast area was adequate enough, there is a big problem with birds, constantly trying to grab things from your plate/table. If your thinking of having since relaxing time sunbathing by the pool then this is the wrong hotel for you.all over the grounds of the hotel are fly and ant infested trees which block almost all daylight getting through! The only place to get some decent sun is the yet again ant infested lawn backing onto the marina. Having fishermen ogle you and shout things is a lovely setting for a relaxing day. Pay more money and get a decent hotel, trust me.

• Stayed January 2013
5 Thank Matman1

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Calciania, Pisa
Reviewed January 16, 2013

As we wanted to stay a few days close to downtown Cancun we opted to stay at a fairly inexpensive place such as Sotavento. The location is quite nice due to its quaintness however you can tell it was one of the first buildings to be built in the Hotelera Zone and hasn't been recently renovated.
Our room never "dried up" even though the AC was kept on all the time. The breakfasts weren't bad as they changed it up every morning. We only had hot water 1 of the 3 nights to take showers.
The local bus stop is very close and there is a great typical Mexican place to eat at 3 min walk, there is also a conv store very close as well.
Would I go back........no.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and had no noise issues except for the drunk people getting home a littl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C
Pittsburgh
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Sotavento during a "snorkel with sailfish" trip. Our group of 7 was picked up each morning right at Sotavento's dock--very handy. Check-in was quick and the staff friendly. Our large room had two double beds, a desk and chair, luggage stand, open air wardrobe, loud AC (great white noise), a spacious bathroom with plenty of counter space, and a shower with lots of hot water, although occasionally there was very little water pressure for a few minutes. The room was kept clean and fresh towels left each day. There was an in-room safe that required a $20 returnable deposit for the key. Internet was available everywhere, including the rooms, and was usually fast.

A continental breakfast was included which consisted of orange juice, coffee or tea, toast, cereal, and a rotation of eggs, fruit, pastries, or other items. The dining area was large and open-air and the pool was next door. There were several lounge chairs around the pool; there was also a small grassy area nearby that I saw a few people using.

We ate at Sotavento every night but one. The food was OK, and inexpensive, but not terribly consistent. I ordered the same thing three nights due to food allergies and each time the meal was prepared differently, so be careful if you have food issues.

Sotavento is not close to much of anything entertainment-wise, but buses to shopping areas are cheap and plentiful. There is a near-by store where bottled water and snacks are available. La Palapa del Mezcal restaurant, about a 12 minute walk to the right, is a fun place with good food. Five minutes to the left was a small street-side restaurant. We walked a half hour each way and didn't run into any shops. The hotel is about 35 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My impression of Cancun is that if you're not going to stay---::Scratch that::---my real impression of Cancun is DON'T. Just DON'T. Why bother when the rest of the Riviera Maya is so spectacular? However, if you do go, it's really about the all inclusives and the big resorts. We knew we didn't want that type of experience but my family still wanted to stay in the zona hotelera (my preference would have been El Rey del Caribe in el centro). So if your hotel is not your destination, Sotavento is a fine choice. The bar and restaurant were decent and the grounds are actually quite pretty. It sits on the lagoon. If you're not looking to splurge, this would be a fine choice. When I booked it, it was the lowest price hotel in the zona hotelera on hotwire at about $30 a room. Super cheap.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Merida, Mexico
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I am a frequent traveler to Cancun as I come here both on Holiday with my Family and on Business, a few months ago a friend of mine suggested that we try the Hotel Sotaviento & Yacht Club so here I am at 10 minutes to one writing a review.

The beds in this hotel are that of a cheep motel and I have not been able to get comfortable for the past 3 hours, this is not what I expected after driving 4 hours to get here.We are a group of four adults and decided to get one room because the hotel offers on their web site room for 4 adults, well the beds are full beds not even queen and are hard as rocks, the hotel management should stay a night on one of these beds then get up in the morning and see how they feel.The room we have does have a window so we thought it would be nice to sleep with the window open but after 5 minutes our room was full of mosquitoes because they dont have a screen on the window. I do have to say though that the gardens are very nice and the bar and restaurant offer some great food, the staff are very friendly!

I would suggest that hotel management spend a few extra PESOS on keeping up the quality of the hotel, and as for bang for buck I feel that we over paid as I will be sleep deprived in the morning and it will have messed up my day for tomorrow.

Room Tip: ask for one with screens on the windows if they have them, as Cancun in the winter has great weather...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mexoso
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hi I am all for a good deal but This hotel did not do it for me , the beds were not comfortable, the pool was too small , the lobby scared me big time it was dark , smelly and super hot . I did like the people who worked there they were friendly but the amenities are just not what you want when in a holiday. I will not recommend this place at all. It is too far from the airport so a taxi will cost you $60 Us dollars. I also saw bugs in the shower !!! The only good thing was the air conditioner. I only end up staying one night that was all I can handle. However I must say for $45 dollars a night It is a good deal !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family