“A great affordable place to stay in Cancun”

Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club
Ranked #109 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 23, 2012

The sotavento hotel is full of charm. It is a little more quaint than most of the resorts in cancun, however it is a great place to stay, especially on a budget. The workers are very helpful and friendly, and the food is great. The breakfast that is included is delicious, and they are very helpful in finding excursions and restaurants for you.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sotavento Hotel & Yacht Club

Reviewed January 3, 2012

Sir:

Had intended to write a comment about the hotel before I left, but the logistics of preparing to catch a flight truncated that thought. I would like to say that I found the hotel a pleasant surprise. I only expected a cheap hotel to stay at away from the noise and incessant hustle of Cancun centro, as a rest stop to facilitate a direct fast flight to New England rather than being forced to hang around airports all day as is required by flying out of Merida, Yucatan. The staff was friendly, helpful, and accommodating in every way without demeaning feigned subservience. The neat tropical gardens were a wonderful screen to block out the sight of the mega structures that comprise most of the hotel zone, creating a real impression of being in a tropical habitat far from the madding crowd. The restaurant/bar palapa served the role well as a place to relax and linger over coffee or beer while enjoying the proximity of the marine ambience. The wireless connection in the palapa was adequate for e-mail and far more pleasant than a lobby or in a room. The “continental” breakfast was unexpected, to have eggs and sometimes bacon included was a total surprise, to not have donuts or 3rd rate pastry was a godsend. As a final positive experience the clientele were extremely compatible, being Mexican, European, Australian and Asian vacationers or business trvelers. There was a shared recognition that nobody was there as Conde Nast fantasy guests on vacation and for the price it would be pretty hard to beat. Those who expect eggs Benedict with lamb rack on the side as the breakfast offering should stay elsewhere and be prepared to pay the price. It met my purposes perfectly so I would have to say a 5.0. I was sufficiently accommodated to prompt me to stay over again when I returned from Boston a month later and avoid arriving in Merida late at night.

Room Tip: It is in the tropics, sited on what had been manglar. Any ground floor room will acquire a musty odo...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Jon S
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Initially I liked this place. I specifically chose to be further away from the craziness of the hotel zone as this was just a one-nighter at the end of a business trip. I had been to Cancun once before for two days and hated it...far too noisy, way too many people, and far too obnoxious for my liking. The hotel is basic, but adequate. It is quiet, like I wanted, and the grounds are really quite pretty. In the morning, a tour guide working for the hotel offered to take me on a tour of the mangroves for $30. I thought, why not, it's different and what a great way to end an already fantastic trip. His boat was right at the hotel dock. I realized quickly, that even though this was his job, I had made a big mistake. He basically accosted me. After demanding to be taken back to the hotel for 15 minutes he finally took me back. Being perfectly aware of the corrupt police culture in the area I did not report the incident as it would have been more trouble than it was worth. Instead, I had the front desk order me a taxi which took me to the airport 6 hours ahead of my scheduled flight. The Yucatan Peninsula is an amazing place, but Cancun is seriously corrupt. If you want to stay here, check the reviews of your hotel for safety issues.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank KentM_321
Reviewed December 29, 2011

The reception staff was terrific, but the restaurant service was aweful: my waitress wouldn't even greet me, never checked to see if my meal was alright or if I wanted anything else, and I had to approach her to get my bill. Other than that, the Sotavento is a reasonable option for those traveling on a budget. My room was comfortable, clean, and the location suited my needs.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Sotavento is a clean and decently price hotel for Cancun standards. The staff is friendly and the rooms are in a beautiful garden like location near a pier. There is no wi-fi and the hotel phones aren't connected so find another way if you want to reach the outside world. A complimentary breakfast is provided every morning, it's not the greatest of meals but you will find yourself coming back if you're absolutely starving. It's near a few convenience stores and buses pass by frequently so it's easy to get around Cancun. Great place if you don't expect too much and are focused on exploring the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Alan V
Reviewed December 4, 2011

Its a shame I have to write a negative review on this place because on the whole it is a nice hotel that ticks all the boxes plus one added one - staff with sticky fingers!

I have stayed here 4 times and never had a problem until my last visit. Upon arrival we were told that all the security boxes were being used so we had to lock our valuables in our bags in the room. That evening while at dinner someone with a key came into the locked room and got into my bag and stole $3000MX Peso. I can only assume a staff member had access to the keys so therefore they can not be trusted.

When I complained they wasnt interested and basically said it was my fault for leaving valuables in my bag and not safety deposit box which they didnt have! Convenient that they knew this.

If you are to stay here be careful of this trick and make sure you get a box.

Its a shame because the hotel itself is great, decent location, cheap, clean and nice food.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stevie G
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Have stayed at Sotavento twice now. The location is good, there is a bus stop just round the corner which will take you into Cancun with all the clubs, restaurants etc. The pool area is nice and the rooms are clean and comfortable. Staff are friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a 5 star resort than obviously go to one of the more expensive hotels, but this is a good value for money, clean and safe place to stay, would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends