“Good Hotel for the price”

Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas
Ranked #98 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
NY
“Good Hotel for the price”
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We just returned from a four night stay here (two adults and two children). For the price, you do get a decent place. The rooms are clean and the staff is very helpful. English is limited, but you can communicate. If you are looking for white sand beaches and crystal clear blue waters, you will not find it here. There is seaweed, although the hotel does work constantly to remove it. Both pools are clean and in good condition. The hotel advertises four restaurants. When we were there, there was only one open. This serverly limits your possibilities, especially for children. The kids room and the theater were also closed during our visit. If you are looking for a hotel with a fitness center, this is not the one. There are three pieces of equipment, but the room is small and there is not air conditioning. There are no towels or water in the area either. Buses run constantly making it very easy to get into town or one of the many attractions. We had a great time once we adjusted our expectations. This is a nice, clean hotel. The food and drinks are good. Our kids enjoyed themselves and that is all that matters.

• Liked — all inclusive
  • Disliked — false adversizing in the brochures
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank 2517

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a 5 day trip to Cancun. We booked our trip through CheapCaribbean.com stayed at the Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas the entire time. We had a great experience at this hotel. The hotel was well kept and very neat and clean. It had nice, simple decor that was white and had cream colored stone.

All of the staff that we spoke with spoke English pretty well; in fact we felt guilty for not speaking more Spanish with them, seeing as how we were in Mexico. The "Entertainment Team" was very friendly, they had pool games for the kids in the early afternoon and there was some sort of entertainment every night. On our last night there they put on a "Pre-Hispanic Cultural Night" where they had dancers who performed traditional Mayan and Aztec dancing, and they were great.

My husband is a platinum Priority Club member, so we had an upgrade to a very large room with two double beds. They didn't have any more King size beds that night but offered to switch us to a comparable room with a king size bed in the morning. We liked our first room so decided to stay in it. It had a view of the lagoon across the road. There was some road noise if you opened the balcony doors, but it wasn't excessively loud. The cleaning staff kept the room very tidy and always gave us clean towels and new soaps and shampoo bottles.

The food was also very good. I have a feeling that most of the people who wrote bad reviewed about the food are very close minded Americans. Sure Cancun is a resort town, but it's still another country and you should be open to trying new things. In addition to that, this hotel has lots of guests who are not Americans; mostly from Mexico, Latin and South America from what I coudl tell. The hotel had lots of regional Mexican/Yucatanian food in the buffet, which we ate at every day. They had eggs and even small pieces of French toast at breakfast, as well as lots of other things, including Froot Loops. The fish and chicken dishes were always very good. The only time we weren't completely satisfied with the food was the Asian food night, but we're from Seattle and are lucky enough to have probably some of the best Asian food outside of Asian available every day. They made a valiant effort though.

The hotel was not right in the middle of the hotel district. It's between downtown Cancun and the main area of the hotel zone. The buses come by every 5 minutes or so, take R1 or R2 to go up and down the strip; they'll even take you to the four WalMarts in down :-P. The bus costs 65 pesos per person (about 65 cents US) and the drivers are very nice and will wait for you if you have to run to the stop.

Unlike what some of the reviews say, this hotel's beach is not on the lagoon side, it's on the Caribbean. You can see Isla Mujeres from the hotel's beach if you don't believe me. I've posted some photos of the lagoon view from our hotel and of the beach. The beach does get some seaweed but that's because it is on the calmer north side of the "island" and Isla Mujeres blocks it form the big ocean waves, which makes it a nice place for the seaweed to grow. We traveled down to a beach where the new Westin resort will be and they had some very big waves that required yellow and red flags to be posted.

Overall it was a great stay in a very nice hotel. The hotel was reasonably prices compared to many hotels in the area and was very nice.

• Liked — Food, decor, great staff, no annoying other guests.
  • Disliked — Room service menu would be nice, trinket vendors were a bit annoying.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
9 Thank greenleafslove
Southeastern PA
Reviewed July 24, 2008

After booking this hotel I read the reviews and was discouraged. I don't know what people expect from a 2and a half-3 star hotel. We booked the all inclusive package. The hotel was brightly lit with marble and ceramic tiles and walls. The room the same. The check in was under 10 minutes. The room had a beautiful ocean view from it's balcony. It was cleaned every day and the cleaner never took our tip even though I left a note. (not suppose to tip in inclusive package). No ants. Clean towels every day. As some complained. It was just as nice as some of the more expensive hotels. No bath tub but a fancy marbled double shower. We ate at the grill. I didn't enjoy my dish ( mexican steak dish) but my husband loved his salmon. The house wine was watered down. At the italian restaurant where you have to make reservations I can't remember what we ordered but we enjoyed it. My husband tilted the table and made a mess. They were so fast at our service and accomidating us. The house wine was not watered down here. The buffet had a variety of foods. We only ate there for breakfast. We enjoyed the selection of mostly mexican food. Also a grill were you can order a fresh omlet with what you want in it. One night we wanted to go to the buffet for the convience before stepping out it was closed and they offered a free dinner show up stairs that night. It was on the schedule but we didn't read it. We ordered room service, which was fast but only 3 options to choose from. Every one was nice and right at our service at all times. No loud pool music early in the morning. The beach only had seaweed the one day after a rain. It was bigger than some of the exclusive hotel beaches but their water was more blue. But being from the east coast at least it's still blue. The hotel was out of the way and that was a disadvatage for tours but an advatage for a nice peaceful area. My husband and I don't travel anywhere twice yet but if we did we would stay here. Saved money and had a great time.

• Liked — The service.
  • Disliked — The location.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Made4U2Wonder
Pittsburgh,PA
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Our family was staying in Cozumel for the week when we decided to do some sightseeing near Cancun and then stay our last night in the Cancun area. Our room was an ocean view suite. It was spacious, but boring and the bathroom was really small. We had the all inclusive package so we set out for dinner in the Italian restaurant. The atmosphere was nice, but the food was really horrible and bordered on inedible. Both of our teenagers walked away hungry and they are not picky eaters. The house wine was not drinkable (even the waiter agreed), and the other included drinks were overly sweet and awful. Breakfast the next day was not much better. It was a nice patio near the beach, but the food was not appetizing. I think we ended up eating yogurt. On our way out, we met a family of 6 who had also arrived the night before. The poor Dad was frantically trying to change hotels as none of his kids or his wife had found anything they would eat! It was THAT bad! The poor guy knew he could not spend his family vacation there and was desparately trying to save the day by finding another property. The beach here is very narrow and not very enjoyable for swimming. I would never recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — The food.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Pittfam4

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

mexico
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I just want to say the hotel is TERRIBLE starting from everthing, the staff wich is incompetent and unhelpful especily Luisa M. "The Reception Manager" if you can call her MANAGER, when i made the reservation the call center guy (The one how knows more tha me), told me the hotel has 3 pools, jacuzi, room services 24/7, live music in the lobby......well am still looking for the 3rd pool not mention that the ones i found look like a joke, small and simple.....I never had the jacuzi, no room services, no 3rd pool, no live music, and the games for the kisd is nothing...the use old stuff to make the "contests" for them, i supposed to hve a courtesy in my room and I still waiting for that and not even that the food is disgusting....just like that....disgusting!!!!....the bussines center, hahahha.....2 computers, hahahah!!!.............the GYM.....hahahaha even worse, just 2 exercise machine, hahahahahah....poor them......

I talk to Luisa and I said that am not happy to be there, that i need my money back or some rewards for all tha am not happy with and she said "am sorry for all the wrong information you received from the call center, we will talk with tha manager and check the food" ...AND THATS IIIIITTTTT.......HOW COMES!!!!!!!..............

She said I paid a special rate and she can not give something better, but honestly she didnt told me how expensive is the crap there.....

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2008

OK, so much pro and con has been written about this hotel, I will try to cut through the other 95+ reviews and tell you how it is. I am an airline pilot. I stay in hotels for a living, anywhere from Best Western, to Westin and Omni, etc. There is nothing wrong with this hotel. What is wrong is some people's expectations. I will explain. The hotel was perfectly clean; lobby, rooms and grounds. We had 2 rooms for the family, and neither had any sign of mildew or ants. The staff was very friendly and courteous, and most spoke English fairly well. The restaurant food was excellent, both in quality, and also in presentation in the 2 fancier restaurants. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't see one single hotdog the entire stay. The air conditioning in the rooms was cold, and had digital thermostats that worked very well. I don't see how other reviewers could complain about the A/C; turn it up or off if you are too cold. My wife and daughter had some spa treatments; my other daughter and I rented a wave runner. All went off without a hitch or complaint. As I said before, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. Now, for expectations. If you are not a frequent traveler, if you want to be around other vacationers like yourself, and meet people, or if you're looking to party, this is probably not the hotel for you. We only ran into 2 other couples from the USA during out stay. The guests seem to be predominantly from Mexico, Central America, and Europe. Very little English was spoken as a first language. As I said, the restaurant food was excellent; it is not, however, anything you would expect on a buffet in the USA. Primarily it was Mexican foods, and I mean authentic, not Taco Bell or Taco Bueno. In fact, there were no tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or tamales at all. So if you are not familiar with true Mexican foods, and are not very adventurous, the food would not make you happy. By the way, the water and ice are safe to drink here. The choices of liqour for the basic all-inclusive was excellent. Many premium brands, without paying for the premium brand option. If you are looking for activities and shopping, you might consider staying somewhere else. This hotel is great if you want to sit by the water with a book, but not much else. It is definitely not a swimming beach, but they do an excellent job of picking up the seaweed more than once a day. There were many families with small children, but again, not predominately English speakers. I had the only teenagers I saw. Bottom line, most USA people will probably be happier at other resorts, unless you are comfortable with the Spanish language, foods from Mexico and Europe, and are looking for a quiet place to simply relax. If you are, then you will have no problems at this hotel, and I have nothing but good to say about it. Also, we used Cancun Express for the airport transfers, and it was excellent. On time both ways, friendly English-speaking drivers, and I booked it on the internet with zero hassle. Better price than most.

• Liked — excellent food
  • Disliked — lack of other USA guests
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank nwaplanepilot
Grand Prairie, TX
Reviewed June 26, 2008

While the hotel is technically in the "hotel zone" it's closer to downtown, and quite a distance from the main area where most people go to hang out. That being said, it is easily accessible by bus. The buses run every 3 minutes or so it seems, even late at night and on Sunday. It was about 5-10 minutes on the bus to/from Hard Rock, Coco Bongo area.

I did not do the all inclusive, so I cannot attest to the food or service.

The hotel itself is small but seemed very clean. Check in was quick and simple. I had requested a nonsmoking king bed on a high floor. I received a nonsmoking, 2 double beds on the 1st floor. I have to say, I am not a large person I am 5'9" and weigh about 155". The bed was tiny, tiny, tiny, even for me. I think they may have been 3/4 beds instead of doubles. It was certainly sufficient as I was there alone, but I would have been very uncomfortable had I been sharing a bed.

The air conditioner worked flawlessly. The telephone in my room did not, even after having it replaced. I was unable to call out direct and friends were unable to ring my room. The front desk staff was not overly friendly, but certainly adequate and helpful when needed. Most seemed to speak English relatively well, although it was obviously a bit of a struggle to find some of the words. Again, not a problem.

The pool area was small but clean in appearance. My room was on the 1st floor overlooking the pool area. While I was able to hear kids playing there early in the mornings, with my television on and the a/c running, it drowned out what little noise there was.

For the price, it was fine for a place to sleep. It was clean, comfortable. I never felt unsafe, not only at the hotel, but walking alone, anywhere, even at night, or late on the bus.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo