This is a budget hotel, there’s nothing luxurious about it so do not expect much. I have stayed here 3 times but I won’t be staying here ever again. The reason is the way I was treated by the front desk people, also some food and mold issues.
I was going to write an average review until I got sick. On our second day my wife and I came down with some severe flu. I thought it was the mold in our second room (#1308). I still think that room had something to do with our illness. (The first room was right by the pool & way too noisy, we made it clear when we made the reservation we wanted a room in a quiet area – specifically told Chantal at the front desk when we checked in and she assured us that the room was in a quiet area when in fact it was right above the DJ and next to the pool. She was anything but customer-focused.) At this place being a Priority Club member means absolutely nothing.
We were supposed to stay 8 nights, the first 5 were all inclusive followed by 2 nights of non-inclusive and the last night once again all inclusive. On the second night we got very ill and stayed in bed for 2 days, barely ate anything but soup, saw the doctor (he came to the room from outside) who gave us antibiotics and flu medicine. On the sixth day and $300 dollars later (doctor/medicine bill) our all inclusive ran out. Room service menu was limited to 3 items: fruit plate, quesadillas or a burger which was terrible to say the least. It was literally a piece of super salty meat with bread filler on a bun.
After two days of pure bed rest, antibiotics, cough & flu medicine we were not getting better. That’s when we realized that the musty smell from our room could be further exacerbating our illness so we changed to a third room. The third room did smell much better (not musty) but there was significant mold in the shower that gave us the creeps.
We continued to feel bad and decided to go home early in order to get better. We left the hotel one day early losing out on one prepaid night but did not care because we felt so ill and uncomfortable at this hotel.
During the check out processes neither Chantal nor Adrian asked us how was our stay nor did they give us a smile. Chantal commented that we were supposed to leave the next day. She did not inquire about why were chose to leave early. I was in a very bad shape as we were checking out, feeling like I was about to pass out. They did not offer even water or anything. In fact my sugar levels were probably low so I asked for a can of 7-up from the lobby bar because the gift shop was closed. The charge was $4 USD.
When we checked out we got a whopping bill of close to $60 USD for long distance charges. Before calling our airline to change the date on our return reservation I spoke with Adrian at the front desk to verify the charge for dialing a toll free number from our room & was told the charge would be 4.50 pesos per call. When we got our hotel bill we were charged as if the calls we made to our airline were long distance international calls, by the minute. Apparently, if you call a toll-free number within Mexico the charge is 4.50 pesos per call, but if the toll-free number terminates in the USA it is considered an international call. I was feeling too ill at that point to fight the charges. We just wanted the heck out of there. We later learned if you dial an international toll free call from a pay phone there is no charge.
On a positive note, we did receive good attention from Tatiana at the front desk, who helped us coordinate the room changes. Also, Adriana our housekeeper when we were in room 1308 provided very good service.
We went on this trip to this property with what we thought were realistic expectations. We knew the hotel was more towards a three-star than a four-star level but our getting sick, having to change rooms twice combined with several bad-apples at the front desk has led me to write this less than glowing review.
This entire experience has left a very bad taste in my mouth about the entire chain of Holiday Inns. The sub-standard accommodations and lack of customer-focus of the staff when compared to other brands (Marriott, Hilton, Starwood) is staggering. I have been a Priority Club member for over fifteen years. What is the benefit of accumulating points during the year as I travel for work if there are no quality properties on which to redeem my points for a well-deserved vacation?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- **** ALL INCLUSIVE OPTION ALSO AVAILABLE**** KIDS FREE UNDER 12 Beautiful BEACH FRONT Hotel, Mediterranean style, perfect for couples and families. Located in front of the calm Cancun beaches. Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas with the best location in the Hotel Zone with a warm environment, surrounded by beautiful gardens, with a walk way that brings you a gorgeous view, that goes from Cancun downtown to the heart of the Hotel Zone, where night clubs, shopping mall and restaurants are located. The Hotel offers All Inclusive Plan and European Plan, beautiful and comfortable rooms with ocean or lagoon view, quality service and four star facilities. Your all inclusive package includes: - Comfortable rooms with Internet access, hairdryer, safe deposit box, iron & ironing board, TV cable, voice mail system, alarm clock and coffee maker. - All meals at the International buffet Restaurant. - Snacks next to the pool - Italian Specialties a La Carte for dining option & The Ocean Grill Tequila a'La Carte' (Reservation required) - Domestic Drinks at the Lobby bar, Pool Bar and the Theater Bar. - Room service (limited menu and hours) - daily activity program and night entertainment. - kids Club - Gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Cancun Arenas Hotel Cancun
- Cancun Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Arenas Cancun