“Just came back from the Bel Air Cancun...Feb 2014”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #82 of 182 Hotels in Cancun
Kamloops, Canada
“Just came back from the Bel Air Cancun...Feb 2014”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just came back last week (Feb 2014). Our stay was a mixed experience. We were checked in quickly by the manager, very pleasant, and upgraded to an ocean view room with balcony, at no extra charge. The reception desk (?) was a floating glass table. Manager had a small lap top computer and a pencil box. Behind him was a wall covered in what looked to be tin foil. What had we got ourselves into?
We got in the teeniest elevator ever (on day 2 it didn't work and we were on the 6th floor). Our room was a lovely surprise. It was bright and clean. Fresh rose petals formed a heart on the bed (which was very comfortable) and our view....amazing blue water. So glad we asked not to be placed in a Lagoon room. It may have got the sunsets but it would have been noisy for sure. Our sliding door was hard to push open. It needed some attention but oh what a view!
We changed into bathing suits and went down to check out the property. One pool, but very clean. The use of the shallow pool near the restaurant had once been a place to have a meal but was now no longer used for that purpose. There was a definite lack of umbrellas and loungers. A number of the loungers were covered in a speckled dark....mold? Not sure. Everyone understandably laid on towels provided by the hotel...if you could get them. We waited for 20 minutes for the empty towel shelf to be filled.
The beach is beautiful!!! We were told by another hotel quest that if we were to walk south about 20 min down the beach we could swim in much calmer water. We did that and we swam with angel fish around us. That was great. We also chose to walk down the beach after dark the weather was so warm. We took in a fire dance show at a higher end resort down the beach. There is no night life or evening entertainment at the Bel Air. We weren't particularly concerned about that.
The beach at the Bel Air did have a life guard. Usually the beach was flagged with red meaning dangerous water. I am a strong swimmer and was whistled in by the guard and he explained to me that a short distance out the water got extremely deep and the undertow would drag me down. I was cautious after that for sure.
Staff around the pool was very limited and overworked. One lady (Meresilla?? I know that's not quite right) but she tried her best to bring food and drinks guests ordered. Only one bartender outside and a couple of runners for the entire hotel was the reason for long waits. For a couple of hrs in the afternoon there was an outside food station. I waited 40 min for a hamburger that was inedible. It tasted like sausage to me. The nachos on the other hand and the chicken wings were really good!
There was only 1 restaurant building and it was split in two offering different menus. Not much English was understood. If Hector was on shift (a supervisor maybe? but he created mayhem for the staff as there seemed to be little communication between them) he promised the moon and under delivered. He would offer an unset table saying that it would be set by the time we came back from the buffet. Not. No silverware, sometimes you would get coffee or juice that you had asked for by the time you returned to your table but usually not. Ordering in either side was an interesting experience at best. We had taken the
all inclusive option. By the final night I opted to skip dinner I just couldn't do that menu one more time as it was limited and unchanging. We tried sitting at the low tables on round marshmallow chairs about 14" from the ground at the Martini and Sushi bar . We were the only quests at the time. Everything on the menu had cream cheese in it...but what I had there was a better choice than the alternative food choices. The sushi bar looked onto an underused courtyard. There were randomly placed red balls with indentations to sit it on. No back support at all. My favorite part of the hotel were the blowing sheer curtains that surrounded this court yard. There was always a lovely breeze from the pool deck into the hotel. The courtyard kind of had a Turkish feel to it mixed with an attempt at modernistic additions....like the red balls.
We met some great people staying at this resort. Some tried to change hotels but could not find anything within reason. We were glad they stayed even if it was by default.
I should mention that even though we had the all inclusive plan every bill for food/drink had to be signed for. Way too much work for the staff. We usually took a few one dollar bills with us when we ate to show our appreciation when we were served. I might add the restaurant/food choices were never explained to us at check in. It was a little confusing at first as to why we were signing a bill each time we ordered.
Checking out was easy. Thank you Samuel. While we were waiting for our cab at the front entrance bell boy station we noticed a weigh scale to check our baggage weight for our flight.
We were told it came with a cost so we declined as we hadn't made any purchases during our stay and were certain we were OK for baggage weight. The same bell boy used a hand held scale 10 min later when we opted not to pay pesos to weigh...no charge. (But he was friendly)
All in all I will sum up our stay has unusual. The hotel was certainly overrated and needed updating. Sometimes the fountain by the sushi bar operated sometimes not. The sunset bar on our floor sounded romantic. We giggled when we found out it was a few swivel bar chairs placed in the hall at open windows. Yes, you could admire the sunset and the lagoon and the convenience store and the laundry facilities for the hotel...lol Complimentary champagne and canapes (cookies actually) were served there for a short time at sunset each day.
We went to Cancun for the amazing colors of the Caribbean and were not disappointed in the water view or the beautiful white sand. We would choose to stay elsewhere next time mainly because of the lack of food choices in the restaurant. We honestly are not fussy eaters but the meals were not very good. If you choose to eat in the restaurant pick the Italian side. At least an effort was made for sure. Even if the food trays would come out and the servers would have to go to several tables before the food was delivered to the correct guest. Warning...don't order ice cream. It always showed up as lemon or vanilla soup, but the brownie was good. lol
Will we return to Mexico?. Absolutely yes. Our accommodations will be different though.
We did not check out the spa services offered at all so I can offer no opinion on that. A photo session could also be booked from the lobby if anyone was interested. We didn't do that either, but it may have been fun to take more memories home.

Room Tip: Our 6th floor ocean view room was a great upgrade at no cost. Knowing the view now for the Lagoon d...
3 Thank littleoneingy
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Deat Guest:

First of all I would like to thank you for visiting and for taking the time to share with us your experience with us, we are once process improvement and it is thanks to comments like yours that allow us to meet our main goal. I ask you to accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations.

I understand that Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun is not suited to your lifestyle, but I also like to inform you that Bel Air Collection has several hotels with different concepts. And we are pleased that our customers can find their perfect place in the chain of Bel Air Collection.

Andrea Bosio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Polish first
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

By far not the most elegant resort on the strip,but if your looking for inexpensive and intimate this is your place. What was lacking in amenities was made up for with wonderful and friendly staff. Needs some upgrades to the rooms. Pool and beach were awesome.

Room Tip: request ocean side with a balcony. Street side noisy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing this review with us and all the kind and encouraging words about our team and our work. Please receive our warm regards; we are looking forward to your return visit

Genral Manager.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Make a note that the “alarm” buttons within their hotel elevators do not activate any emergency procedures or connect you with any emergency personnel. If you push one while stuck in their elevator, it merely triggers a temporary faint buzzing sound that probably only you (and maybe the ghosts of that elevator’s previous prisoners) can actually hear. After some time I gave up sounding the alarm and calling for help, hoping my girlfriend would eventually notice that I was missing. Just around the time I was about to give up on her too, the elevator started working again.

I immediately asked to speak with the Hotel Manager, who was unavailable. Looking below, it is clear the General Manager spends most of his time on the internet responding to reviews on TripAdvisor rather than responding to guest concerns while they are in house. (He must’ve been staying at another resort because there are few places in Bel Air that have a WiFi connection.) I jokingly asked the desk clerk what the standard waiting time is before someone rescues you from the death-trap elevators, to which they replied “usually immediately.” So many things were wrong with that response. And no one followed up with me regarding the problem.

The hotel does have some redeeming qualities, but the above example is a pretty good representation of its overall character: polite folks barely minding the store. Their “free coffee” in the morning was offered from a container far too small for a beach resort and was more often empty than full. We paid for one breakfast that was above-average for a buffet (though overpriced), but I don’t think their drinks contain much (if any) alcohol. I’m fairly certain my margarita contained more sand than tequila. We quickly realized we made the right decision by not paying for the all-inclusive option. (For delicious cheap eats, go to El Fritanga for fish tacos or to Carnitas Michoacán for tacos al pastor; for more expensive plates, try La Destileria for Mexican cuisine or Lorenzillo’s for lobster.)

We tried renting a car through their “concierge,” but we somehow ended up at the only car rental service in town that didn’t have a computer. Despite being asked to show proof of having a credit card before even being taken to their location, we were informed that their “system” (mind you there was no computer in sight) was down and that we would need to supply a $500 deposit in cash. We opted to make it a beach day and rent a car on our own the next day from Hertz. (Recommendation: drive yourself to Tulum super early in the morning to see the ruins, then have lunch in downtown Tulum. Awesome experience, you beat the crowds, and it is cheaper than paying for a tour if there is more than one person in your party.)

The bellmen were super courteous and always helpful when I needed directions or help calling a cab (Miguel immediately stands out, but all were pleasant). And like most of the resorts in this area in Cancun, the actual beach it sits on is amazing. While there is a general shortage of lounge chairs, which are somehow “claimed” all day by the placement of a book or a blouse or a single sandal, the staff does an above-average job maintaining the landscape. Someone was always out taking drink orders, and at least once a day an employee was out picking up the cigarette butts that guests were (relentlessly) pitching in the sand.

Like others reviewers here, we got an awesome deal through Living Social. That being said, I think we about got what we paid for. For that rate, all I really needed was a room with a bed and a shower near a nice beach. The bigger issues we encountered ultimately balanced out some of the perks of this place. I enjoyed my vacation, but would have been seriously upset if I paid the standard rate.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Guest:

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meet your expectations.
I'd also say that our main goal is continuous improvement, and thanks to comments like yours that can make possible. I hope to give us the opportunity to receive it again and feel free to contact me for any comments. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

This is the 2nd Time i have stayed in this hotel, the first being over 6 years ago. At that time the hotel was pretty good with excellent service and rooms.

However the hotel had deteriorated over the years and it seems that they don’t want to spend any money updating the hotel.
Check-in was pretty easy and the girl at check-in was very helpful, polite and courteous along with the bellboy who was good in making sure everything in the room was ok.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, along with a decent LCD TV, with various channels in English and Spanish. However the room was on the first floor (5106) so you could hear the Music from the lobby bar until around 10:30pm, which didn’t bother me too much, it was just that they played a lot of Bruno Marrs. They also had a DVD player in the room, however no library of DVD’s to borrow from which is disappointing. They should have spent the money on buying more loungers for the beach and pool instead of the DVD players.
Food & Drink – We had the all-inclusive package at the hotel the breakfast was good with a nice selection to choose from, however the service in the morning can be very slow. After 20 mins of waiting for a coffee I had to go and get it myself which p(*ssed me off considering how they always ask for tip. Complained to the manager, and afterwards the service improved.
For dinner the food is ok not fantastic, and they ran out of Red wine 2 evenings in a row which is just not acceptable considering most people like a glass of vino tinto with their evening meal.
Drinks were ok, nothing special or amazing, and service was a sporadic and there was only one guy at the Bar that just made things even slower.
Overall not the best but passable although they do need more staff around the pool and restaurants, the ones that are there do work good but are very over-stretched.
Spa – My wife and myself visited the Spa for a massage, and it was one of the best I have had, it was just Amazing, would highly recommend it
Not sure if I would stay here in again in the future, unless the completely revamp the hotel and bring it up to date, there are a lot of other hotels that are around the same price with a higher standard/Spec.

1 Thank Chabs81
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Guest:

First of all Thank you very much for sharing your experience, to the Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa comments like yours are helpful to identify our areas of opportunity. Your comments and suggestions are taken into account and are the benchmark for better service.
It is very satisfying to know that you enjoy your vacation at the hotel and hope to return soon. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Clawson, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I feel like I am not able to give this hotel a fair review because we hadn't planned on staying there on a recent visit to Cancun but I am going to be honest with my thoughts.

My friend and I originally purchased a Groupon Getaway for 4 nights at the Oasis Sens but when we arrived, were told that they were overbooked, and we got moved to the Bel Air.

First off, the Bel Air was not the same caliber of resort as the Sens was, so there was an automatic strike just for that. The Sens boasted 9 bars, 9 restaurants and 3 pools and the Bel Air only had 1 pool, 2 bars and 3 restaurants (and that is generous as 1 of the restaurants was split into two, one side was the "Palm Terrace" and the other was a Mexican/Italian fusion) and I was told there was a sushi restaurant but it looked more like a sushi stand to get appetizers, but I never actually saw it open, just saw some questionable looking tuna.

So anyway, what happened with Bel Air. Our original Groupon included gratuities but they tried to tell us that they were not included, and I felt badly for having to write $0.00 in the tip section (because you get a check for everything, there are no wrist bands here like at some other resorts I've been to) and wrote "tips were prepaid as part of room package".

So the food: honestly, it was bad. There was only a breakfast buffet (even though there was a breakfast menu, we were not allowed to order off of it) and I don't know how one can screw up scrambled eggs, but they did. The buffet consisted of eggs, some kind of nachos, fruit (most of it wasn't very ripe), what looked like toppings for oatmeal but I never saw any oatmeal, single serve boxes of Cocoa Crisps or Rice Chex, and pancakes and french toast.

Lunch: I actually only ate lunch once there, and the tacos I had were decent, but truthfully, I've had better Mexican street tacos at the little carryout restaurant in my neighborhood where I live, in Michigan. The nachos were okay, but they were inconsistent. One day they had pinto beans and a cheese sauce, but the next day when I ordered room service for dinner, it was refried beans and I don't even know what kind of cheese was on it that time.

Dinner: Awful. The shrimp that I ordered (on 3 different nights) was so overcooked that it tasted like overcooked chicken breast. My friend and I ordered the exact same dessert (the "brownie sundae" type thing, but the presentation was quite different, and I think I got lemon flavored ice cream with mine, whereas she got the traditional vanilla. She ordered a banana split our first night there and the next night when she requested it again, she was told that they were out of bananas. Who runs out of bananas??

The drinks: Awful. Nevermind the fact that we only had 2 bars to choose from, the pool bar was only open from 10am-5pm and the lobby bar from 3pm-10:30pm. They were so watered down and weak, even with requesting an extra (sometimes extra two) shot of liquor, it still didn't taste quite right. And trying to get bottled water proved to be as much of a challenge as a sighting of the Lochness Monster. One day we had to ask 6 different people before we finally received 2 bottles.

The pool and beach areas are severely short on chairs and loungers. I counted 66 lounge chairs between the pool and beach (and in a 6 story hotel, that's not a lot of chairs), and nowhere near enough umbrellas to go around. I had to get out at 6:30am to get the last umbrella I saw out on the pool deck. The sun wasn't even up all the way yet!

The service at this resort left a lot to be desired, as no one seemed to even care to help. When I finally did get an umbrella down to the beach, I opened it up only to find that it was broken. It took 3 trips to the front desk to finally get someone to address it, and once they did, we had a new one in 5 minutes. Which is great, but it should never have taken over an hour and 3 trips to the front desk to get it taken care of. And there were times where we were blatantly ignored, such as in the restaurants. We were sitting there with empty glasses, and waiting for our order, yet no one ever came over to refill a glass or ask if we wanted anything.

This is definitely more of a boutique hotel and if you are looking for something quiet, this is a place for you because I didn't see any evening activities going on.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rebecca T
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, February 20, 2014

General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2014

# Internet
WiFi is strongest in the lobby/courtyard reaching 1.0 Mbit/s down and 0.5 Mbit/s up. Which is too slow for most VoIP and video on demand. When the sunsets everyone leaves the beach and logs onto the hotel WiFi which make the internet too slow for anything other than email.

# Telephone
Calling cards can be bought at a nearby OXXO convenience store. Ask the hotel operator to configure the room phone to make outside calls. There was no mute button on my room phone. The courtyard DJ played club music starting at noon which is too disruptive for business calls.

# Power
One power outlet is located near the courtyard fountain. The hotel room has two outlets: one near the bed and another below a small glass table which is useful for an office workspace.

# Work environment
The courtyard has a variety of plastic chairs with no or low backs. Shin-high tables were there for drinks not laptop mice. Sitting in the best corner provides a foyer view of the distant lagoon. The courtyard bar opens at noon for drinking on the job :)

# Complaints
* Painfully slow restaurant service
* Restaurant selection too limited at one/two options per meal
* Cement walls block wifi

# Compliments
* Hotel layout
* Beach, white soft sand with clean turquoise water
* Price
* Friendly staff

# Q&A
* Would you come back to this hotel: Yes
* Where you able to work remotely: Yes, expect prime time 19:00-00:00
* How many days did you stay: 6
* How many nights did you stay: 6

Room Tip: Lobby/courtyard level with ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank danactive

Guadalajara, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hotel was not really nice, the most important feature one looks in a beach hotel is the beach and this hotel does not have one since the area that is actually the hotel's is dangerous, there are rocks and it's not safe (in fact there are red flags indicating so). One girl was drowing and the guy who was supposed to be the coast guard didn't even know what to do, he started to undress (he was fully dressed: long trousers, long-sleeve shirt, socks and shoes!) and when he was about to take off his shoes, one of the hotel guests had already saved the girl.
There is a sand bank on the beach of the next hotel but then it makes it quite shallow, so if you want to swim, not possible unless you walk some 30 meters or so in. Also, there are just few umbrellas on the beach and by the pool... it's a struggle to get one.
One of the two restaurant's furniture VERY basic (plastic chairs).

The only positive thing: very friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank rocio s
Dear Guest:

I regret that we do not meet your expectations during your stay in Bel Air, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments. I assure you that there is nothing more important to us as comfort and satisfaction of each person giving us the honor of being our guest, it's a shame that you feel disappointed with the quality of service. Hope gives us the opportunity to return in the future to provide the best personalized service and make your holiday in Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa a true experience.