“Turtles on the beach”

Ranked #82 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Turtles on the beach”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed here twice; first for a wedding and then for an overnight before we left Mexico. This hotel is very good. Sure, as others have noted, it is a little tired and is being slowly refurbished. But let's get real. The price is right and the staff, overall excellent. The location is wonderful. The beach is great with turtles nesting and babies hatching in nurseries. We saw moma turtles and helped release babies. Magic! The wedding package worked well. I was helping to pay the bill and felt we got value for money. Lobby staff excellent. We dealt primarily with Adrian, Arturo, and Jordan. They were exceptionally helpful when we had queries and a transport problem. Restaurant staff at breakfast are the least experienced, but the shift captain, Carlos, solves all problems. My only suggestion is order your hot dish before you get your cereal or you will wait a long time.
I think negative reviews are unfair. This is a modest cost hotel in a beautiful location thatoffers really good value for one's money. That we decided to stay there a second time is the best recommendation we can make. Tip: Get a room on ocean not lagoon (road) side; lagoon side is noisy.

Room Tip: Insist on an ocean side room. Lagoon (road) side is noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank MykieHamiltonL
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies if you had any inconvenience . If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service.

Best Regard
Lic. Andrea Bosio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

This place is very good but could be excellent. There are few things that need to be fixed. Upon our arrival the AC in our room, the safe and phone didn't work. They were fixed right away but nobody should be bother with that kind of stuff whole on vacation. The courtyard is beautiful but they were doing work and paint chips kept falling off which could cause lead poisoning if it falls on your food or drinks. Lots of complimentary services, spa is great. Overall a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, August 18, 2013

nova scotia, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was a very small resort. One pool, one main restaurant. Everything is a la carte, so you must order everything which is nice but became a pain if you were just wanting a snack. Don't be scared when they ask you to sign the slip - it's normal (some people are all inclusive/some are not). Beach was beautiful, plenty of room to lay. No need to reserve a chair. The main drinking bar was the pool bar in the day and inside the lobby in the evening. No entertainment crew. Staff were nice. Rooms were very nice. The restaurant served the same food. By that I mean, there was 3 appetizers the entire stay during supper, the same 7 main meals etc. The menu wasn't large so not much to choose from. Snacks during the day were great, but always the same and you had to order from the wait staff.

We did our research and got what we had expected. Nothing spectacular, just okay. I wouldn't travel there again.

Room Tip: if you don't have an oceanview room upon booking, they will upgrade when you get there for cash.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tanyad

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It's hard to describe, really. Everything is all white with these splashes of pink, purple and blue lights. It's a design that leaves you wondering what "look" they were aiming for, but didn't necessarily achieve? It reminded us of Miami Vice only now in 2013 it's kind of lost it's luster. At any rate, let's start with the good...
GOOD:
1. Beach front, and the beach there is AWESOME, kidless, and not crowded at all. Totally swimmable too. Waves are small and the beach is clean. Even though all beaches here are public, this beach in front of the Bel Air makes you feel like it's privately owned.
2. Infinity pool, and it is clean and BIG.
3. Breakfast buffet, LOTS of selection, fresh food, breads, and a juice bar. Open til 11:30am which is good for late birds.
4. Staff is helpful. I mean, they don't bend over backwards, but they are definitely accommodating, pleasant and do the best they can.
5. Rooms are big. Bathroom is big. Clean. They really feel like suites, with a sofa and table with chairs. Service is fast and reliable.
6. Adults only. This was very important to us. The vibe is relaxing and well, very adult and laid back.
BAD:
1. The A/C never felt cold enough. Maybe the room is too big for just one unit? Maybe it needed replacement? Who knows, but it just was never cold enough...
2. The dining hall was very hot [and bright] in the mornings. We were sweating through breakfast. Yes, sweating. And, we needed shades because of the white decor and the white sheer curtains everything was VERY bright and we ate with shades on [yet we were inside]. Ponder that one... Again the A/C issue. Maybe they just need to replace all units inside the hotel at this point?
3. The pool umbrellas were not steady and very LOW. I almost poked by eye out a few times getting up and then, a big gust of wind came and SNAPPED off the umbrella nearly impaling my friend with the stick. Not safe at all. They aren't held together properly and the umbrellas will sometimes just fly off into the pool, sticks and all. I'm just glad I wasn't swimming in there at that moment or I might've gotten speared.
4. The drinks are nothing special, sugary and watered down, and pre-mixed. HUGE, HUGE disappointment being an "adults only" and all. I was expecting prime drinks here. The bartender Balthazar just uses his same pre-mixed piña colada mix for days and adds a shot of Costco brand rum and some ice, and there ya go. $60 pesos a pop for some sugary pineapple water frappé'd with ice. You can only imagine the rest of the drink fare. Unbelievably LAME and disappointing.
5. The beach chairs are plastic cushions and plastic pillows. Um, not a huge fan of plastic anything while on a scorching hot beach but that's what's there is at the Bel Air. During 95 F weather and humidity the plastic doesn't look so inviting and can burn your bum, but you can throw some towels on there and make it more bearable, I suppose.
6. The hotel is not nearby any restaurants. This means your cabbing, walking or bussing to your nearest place. There is a fish burger place across the street at the lagoon though, but that's about it.
Overall, the Bel Air is just OK with some cool points that make it manageable. We paid a little over $100usd/night for an ocean view room with a balcony and I think this is as economic as it probably gets in the Cancun hotel zone, all things considered. If you can overlook tacky, tasteless decor, shatty drinks, and some maintenance issues, then you'll probably be fine here.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. Don't even think twice about it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your feedback. As your observation states, all the kind and generous reviews we have been receiving, as a result of dedicated work of our team, are giving us responsibility to maintain our services at the highest level. We hope for the future opportunity to present you that our best efforts are made to meet the highest expectations and guest's satisfaction is our first priority.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The staff was very nice: Rigoberto the waiter, Yese the waitress, Sindy in the cafe, Guadalupe the room cleaner, Samuel the manager.
The room and restroom was clean, Good view of the ocean. Clean pool. Food was good. It is peaceful because there is no kids.

They don't always turn on the hot tub. Don't use the restroom in the lobby. I hate those card keys. I would ask for a bath mat for when you get out of the shower.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Lorretta G
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us these generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us. Thank you very much for you comments about the food and the attention of our staff.Thanks for your opinion and we will be waiting for your next visit.

Koszalin, Poland
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is away from the hustle and bustle of Cancun attractions, and Bel Air itself is quiet, not good if you look for entertainment in your hotel, we even asked the staff to turn on the music in the pool area... Apart form that it was clean, rooms quite big, pool was great, beach amazing! Food in the restaurant was OK, but the service was too slow and the look of the restaurant was like a cheap canteen... Not all of the staff speak English. Never leave your postcards in the receptions as they don't send it (despite the fact that they promised to do that :(). The stay was OK but other hotels that we saw from the beach seemed to be a better holiday destination.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank nataaala
Dear Guest

First of all Thank you very much for sharing your experience, to the Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa comments like yours are helpful to identify our areas of opportunity. Your comments and suggestions are taken into account and are the benchmark for better service.We are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Lethbridge
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had two nights in Cancun before heading out to explore Quintana Roo, Yucatan and Belize. I booked the Bel Air because the price was good and in looked fresh and renovated. Firstly, I would say that the location is not the best-it is quite far from the main strip- expect a $30 cab ride. After the first night paying that in cab fare we just took the bus. Whereas if you pay a little more for a hotel in a better location you dont have to worry about taxis. The hotel was not fresh and white as it appears in pictures-it was dirty, dusty and moldy. We asked to switch rooms after the first night because our doors (patio and entrance) didnt lock and the safe didnt work. On the booking it indicated that the rate included breakfast-only breakfast was only continental breakfast and served between 6-7am (ya right), but for a few fee we could "upgrade" to enjoy their all inclusive plan. We looked at the food at the buffet and it looked really bad so we declined.
There was a breakfast place across the street that sold breakfast tacos for 10 pesos (much better).
Checking out was a nightmare, I had prepaided through expedia but they claimed that I did not pay and would need to pay again. they claimed that since they had not received their payment from Expedia I would need to pay again. I speak fluent spanish and have lived in Mexico so I was not dealing with this situation as a "newbie". I had my booking on my phone and showed them that it was paid but they would not let me leave. Meanwhile, we had arranged a ride with a local friend, but they kept insisting to my husband that we were not allowed to go with locals and we had to get a taxi. The receptionist said I had to wait for the manager to come back before we could leave because we had not paid. Finally, I said that it was not my problem that they had not been paid by expedia and that we were leaving and they would have to figure out how to get their payment, but I am not going to sit their and wait for them to figure things out.
I have been to Cancun a number of times and travelled throughout Mexico and this was one of the slopiest example of hotel management. I thought I would give this hotel a chance because it looked nice and had a good price. In the future I will go back to my usual the Intercontinental-good location, excellent service and only a little bit more a night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gypsytravels
Dear Guest.

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. On behalf of all staff please accept my most sincere apologies for not covering your expectations and for any inconvenience you had during your stay, I'd like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Lic. Andrea Bosio

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels