“Got a burn from cleaning chemicals”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #79 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I just arrived home from the vacation at this hotel. What can I say, they don't know how to make sushi except for the temaky which was ok at best. The food was boring after a few days you try everything and the meals tend to repeat themselves. And then at one time a bubble appeared on my finger on my right hand. More over, my entire hand got covered with small red spots that would bubble up from time to time. I went to see a medical person at the hotel and he told me to just pop the bubbles every time it was loaded with liquid. I got this bubble a couple of hours after I held a drink, in any case for anyone who doubts me getting it from somewhere else, that day, I was always at the bar and never left the hotel perimeters or ventured into the woods. There is nothing to do at this hotel but to drink alcohol and listen to the same music over and over again! Lastly, before leaving the hotel we ordered some breakfast to go and the whole time in the plane we had stomach aches and arrived at home we had green diarrhea for 2 days in a row.

On another note, the personnel seemed friendly but would provide you with sometimes wrong information. The best part of this trip were some interesting excursions.

I don't suggest this hotel to anyone, save your money and go to a better one or another spot that has a better beach!

Finally, this is the hotel I have been to and it is indeed located in Cancun. Please don't remove my post again because I think that travelers should know about my trip in order to make an informed decision about this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Roma M
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Guest:

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection. On behalf of all staff please accept my most sincere apologies for not covering your expectations and for any inconvence you had during your stay, I like to say that our goal is continuouns improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. dirección@thebelair.com.mx

There are newer reviews for Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at the Bel Air for one night, we had booked a junior suite, sea sight. As this would be our first night in Mexico, starting a round trip with a rental car, we decided that the first hotel we would stay in should be very nice. To be honest, the room was actually very nice, spacious, airco a bit noisy. After a long flight, we decided to have a drink at the bar (we were about the only guests at the bar,...) We asked for the cocktail list but they did not have one. Asking for a "Singapore Sling" or another cocktail did not work either, the barman did not now what it was.
He asked us what kind of drink it should be, with tequilla, or with rum,.... We decided to go for the tequilla mix. However, it was served in a plastic cup!!!, it tasted like acid! And is was not even a cheap drink!!! The next one was even worse. You can imagine that this was not a nice start of our first time in Mexico. The next morning we had breakfast, which was not too bad, read: we could find some food which was okay, however, it was not great! The breakfast place was very warm and noisy. I would not recommend this hotel.
Again, to be honest, the room was nice, on the other hand, we paid quite a lot for it!!

Room Tip: In case you do decide to go there: take the junior suite, sea site. The hotel is very nearby the ai...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maria M

Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apoligies for not covering your expectations, I´d also say that our main goal is continuous improvement, and thanks to comments like yours that can make possible, do not hesitate in contact me if you need any assistance, I am at your service.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

My friends and I stayed at the resort and had an amazing time! The food was yummy and drinks kept coming! The staff was very helpful and friendly, and gave us directions for the bus and the best places to get souvenirs and liquor (restaurants and bars closed at 11). We booked massages at the spa and it was spectacular, we left happy and very satisfied :).

1  Thank CherylCC227
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest:

Please allow me to express my sincere gratefulness for sharing with us this generous comment about our work and our services; our goal is the continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to the comments like yours. There is nothing like knowing that our guests had wonderful and memorable time while staying with us. Thank you for your review and we are looking forward to your next visit Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancún.

General Manager.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I don't like to write negative reviews, and rarely, if ever, do...and yet- I can't find a single nice thing to say about this hotel besides the fact that it's on the beach.

It started with our awful welcome with Danny. He obviously doesn't like his job, and took it out on us. He told us to return at 3 for check in, where there was a line of at least 20 other guests wanting to check in, and only super-happy-super speedy Danny to do it. We waited for at least an hour to check in. Perhaps this was because one set of guests had been given keys to a room that was already occupied and had to return to go through the process all over again.

Once we checked in, we searched high and low for a room because we were not directed where to go. Eventually we found it, and were welcomed by a painting that looked like canvas with blood smeared over it.

Every time we took a shower, a rotten, sewage smell permeated throughout the room for the next 24 hours. One bed was lumpy and soft, the other was really really firm. One pro was that there was a DVD player in the room.

The hotel is pretty far from any restaurants, and the gym is awful. Only 4 machines, and 3 of the ones we tried to use were broken. Oh, and once when I went to use the gym two of the employees came in and just stared at me. They asked me what I was doing...I told them I was working out, what are you doing? and they said "nada", or nothing, and just hung around watching me.

The pool is nice, and over looks the water. The guacamole we had was decent, too.

We decided to check out early because the service was so awful and the place smelled and overall gave us the creepiest vibe (maybe it's the outdated decor, and run down feeling of the building..)
THankfully, leaving early worked out, and we were refunded. The guy that helped us check out was helpful. Until he redirected us to our friend Danny who, when asked if we could get a receipt said "no". They have these tiny computers that they look at, but any time you ask a question, they have to go behind the curtain to get an answer.

Overall- I'm so grateful we left this place. Would never recommend it to anyone. And I've stayed in everything from hostels, to b&b's, nice hotels, and dirty homestays. I've lived abroad and can handle a lot, but this place was just too gross for our vacation. Sorry for all the ranting, but I wish we had known about this before we had booked.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank sunlove84
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Guest:

I regreat that we do not meet your expectations during his time, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments. I assure you that nothing is more important to us as comfort and satisfacción of each person who gives us the honor of being our guest, it´s shame you feel disappointed with the the quality of service. I can assure you that your comments about quality of the front desk has reached our Front desk manager and I talked directly with our employer, I hope you will give us the opportunity to receive you again in the future in order to provide you with the best personalized service and make your vacation truly luxury experience.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

If you are looking for crazy dance parties and crowds this is not the resort. If you are wanting a relaxing time, incredible food, great service this is the place. Many of the complaints listed in other postings are fixed. New chairs on balconies. No star trek uniforms. All outside newly painted. Check in did take a little longer than expected. Floors in rooms and by pool are very slick if your feet are wet! Bus picks up right in front and we were able to go anywhere we wanted for 70 pesos. Room was perfectly cleaned everyday and nice treats placed in the room. Did have trouble with air one evening- but was fixed within 30 minutes. The food is not tacky buffet food - it is 5 star quality and does take time to fix- but service was great-Drinks are made to order what ever you want including premier-if you are out by the pool and want a snack or something not on the menu they will also make that for you if you have it.

Room Tip: spend the extra money and get ocean view- 5th floor has balconies 6th does not
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jfbr28401
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Guest:

We all are delighted to receive such a generous review on your recent stay at Bel Air Cancún. We believe that attention to detail and personalized attentive service is what makes every vacation exceptional and memorable. I am glad to know that our teams efforts made a difference for you and your every expectation has been met. Thank you for giving your preference to Bel Air Collection, we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great experience! Friendly people! Amazing food! Pina coladas are fantastic! Omar at the pool is the best! Clear blue water! Our honeymoon was absolutely fabulous! Tip your servers & they will treat you like you're their best friend!

4  Thank Megankarn1212
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Dear Guest:

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind feedback and recognition of our efforts,. Will be happy to pass your congratulations to Omar . We will be waiting for your next visit with your frends or family.

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

What can I say?
Pros:
1. Nice pool with curves built with close ocean view.
2. Wifi connection pretty good except in the room.
Cons:
1. Terrible refurbishment. Its an older hotel showing its age despite the "star trek" style refurbishment. The reception staff wear futuristic style white uniforms and the lobby has flowing white curtains. I walked in thinking I was in a rehab clinic! The room was poorly designed was ugly fittings.
2. Bathroom smelled bad. The hand basin sink was 90% clogged. One clean towel was grossly stained. Shower leaked water (due to poor design) and bathroom door had resulting water damage.
3. Avoid the restaurant. We went for dinner but ended up only having drinks. Drinks were expensive for what they were. There was no choice of beers. We got flat draught beer and flat Sprite. Because of that we decided to skip food. The hotel is far from town. Not many restaurants outside apart from other hotel restaurants. (We found a very nice hamburger cafe across the road).
4. Staff seem disinterested. Not all but most.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank mahiwahoo
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Guest:

I regret that we do not meet your expectation during his time, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments.Our main goal is continuos improvement and comments like yours help us to make this posible; I hope you will give us the opportunity to receive you again in the future in order to provide you with the best personalized service and make your vacation a truly luxurious experience.