“Good vacation, but not Amazing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #82 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Montreal
“Good vacation, but not Amazing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed at the Bel Air from March 16th to March 22th. In summary, I can say that it was great, but we missed what I call the 'WOW factor'. It's good, but it has the potential to be amazing. More in detail:

Rooms:
We reserved for 2 lagoon view rooms with balconies. When we arrived there, no balconies, so we went to the reception and they finally gave us 2 ocean view room with balconies. Without any extra charge, so that was pretty cool. The rooms were great.

Negative points: In one of the room though, the air conditioner wasn't working properly so we had to go to the reception twice to finally get it fixed. Second thing, the chairs on the patio; two dirty plastic chair, so not comfortable...

Positive: The view is totally incredible, Im glad we ended up with the ocean view. Second thing, the beds are wonderful and so comfy!

Food:
Nothing negative to say here. It was truly amazing ! The two restaurants were both excellent! Menu was great and everything we ordered was tasteful, delicious and really well presented. The salad bar was also really good, the soups there are to die for! :) That includes dinner AND lunch. We didn't try the snack bar around the pool for lunch, cause the 'a la carte' lunch is simply too good to miss, even if it takes some times. The sushi restaurant was surprisingly good, we tried 3 different kind of sushis and it was a success.

If I can give some hints for the food; always go to the restaurant and order some shrimps, they're amazing and there's a lot of variation (butter, garlic, prosciutto, almonds etc...)

Service:
The service in the restaurant was sometime really good, sometime super slow. Depending on who's your waiter. Fostino and Javier were the best ! Super friendly, great smile. But in any case, you're in vacation, relax and enjoy, especially because you have an amazing meal on the way...

The service in general was ok, we appreciated the room change, but the whole air conditioner thing was a bit painful. There is almost no service at the pool, no one offered us drinks or anything. When we arrived at the hotel, we didn't have any kind of welcome. The service at the bar was ok though, not too much waiting. The service at the reception was great too, they understood everything we wanted and did the necessary to help us.

Hotel in general:
This apply to Cancun in general, but the waves are crazy there! We were 5 persons and half of us enjoyed it, the others hated it. For me, it was simply too rough. I like to swim in the ocean, but the only option there is to watch carefully the next wave. I stayed at the pool.

I loved the fact that the bus was right in front of the hotel, for 1$ you can go anywhere in Cancun, it's amazing. It's a great way to discover the city and the nightlife and to go shopping.

The hotel itself is ok, but there's not enough flowers and vegetation for me. I found the lobby super empty and it's lacking comfortable seat. The hotel need a fresh white paint job as well. The seats around the pool are great thought, and the little beds are really nice!

Activites:
I recommend taking the bus(1$) to get to the Isla Mujeres ferry (17$). From that point, you can enjoy a beautiful day on the island! A boat ride, some amazing shopping, small typical restaurants, and a calm ocean where you can swim and enjoy the sun. I don't recommend taking a tour for that, because you simply don't have enough time (1 hour only on Isla Mujeres). You can also rent a little golf cart there and visit the entire island. It's super great.

We also went to Xcaret, it's awesome, I totally don't regret paying 135$ for that, it's worth it. There are so many impressive things to see, and so many fun activities to do! And it's only at 37 minutes from the hotel.

So far, it was a good vacation, but really, it could have been so much better.

Room Tip: Ocean view room are so much better than lagoon !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Killashandrad
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us these generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies if you have some inconvenience during your stay. Thank you very much for your comments, about the food and our staff. Thanks for your opinion and we will be waiting for your next visit.

Best Regards.
Genaral Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Polish first
Okemos, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Be sure to get an ocean view room with a balcony. Spacious rooms with coffee maker, mini-frig. Not a flat screen TV and mostly Spanish channels (I guess we were in MX!) Large pool area with comfy chairs and covered sleeping areas. Very comfy chairs on beach with plenty of umbrellas. I wish the pool area had tables and chairs on the concreted area to promote outdoor dining. Otherwise you must eat from your longue chair or in the restaurant. I was really put off by the propane/grill odor from the outdoor grill area which is fired up daily. Loved the complementary daily am coffee & rolls and pm coffee and desserts. Also the delivery every evening of sweets and offers of more lotions, shampoos, towels, etc. If you’re not into the spring break crowd be sure to avoid those weeks. Hotel is for adults only. Restaurant food was good. Buffet daily was meat, pasta, soup and salads. Very friendly and helpful staff. Beds are very comfortable with nice linens. Tip: Easy access to WiFi . . . just enter room number and no password. Seems to work faster. If your room number doesn’t work, try another.

Room Tip: Ocean view on upper floors with a balcony. Loved 5516 because on end with two side windows and larg...
1 Thank Sandu517
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies if you had any inconvenience. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service.

Genaral Manager.
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is the letter I have written to the Hotel Admin. Don't want to re write cause it's too long.... have been at your hotel for the past couple of nights. (Since March 1st) Before coming to your hotel, I thoroughly researched your hotel on Trip Advisor and a couple of other sites, and took a look at your pictures as well as pictures of some of your previous guests. I figured that maybe there were a few people that just were hard to please. I decided with my boyfriend to take a chance on the bad reviews and visit the hotel. Please keep in mind I have been to Mexico 5 other times.
I guess my vacation started off to a bad start having to wait in the Cancun airport for atleast an hour and a half before they would let us through. This was the same for probably 3-400 people.
So we got into our van and we were the only ones dropped off. Great, awesome... no line for checking in! Our room was not ready so we figured we could go for something to eat. We were told that the restaurant would be closing in 15 mins and the food at the pool was non existant. So we quickly ate the little amount that was left at the buffet and went for a long walk on a beautiful beach.
I was definately pleased when we were shown to a beautiful room 5202. Wonderful bed... WONDERFUL! Nice amount of pillows... Then I look onto my patio with rusty chairs and neighbours that literally could step over the little wall and get onto my balcony... not an issue if my patio door would actually stay locked. If you wiggle the patio door from the outside you can open the door, cause all that is keeping the door shut is a screw!!!!! The bellboy that dropped us off said that he would send someone to fix a faulty light switch must have forgotten cause no one has come to fix the light! Also, no bathrobes and slippers as promised on the website!
I read onTrip Advisor that this is a great spot to be if you want to be away from all the noise of the party spots in Cancun..... Guess they have never stayed here during this time!!! For the past 3 nights past midnight, I have had to listen to the obnoxious college aged kids in the lobby bar screaming their heads off. This really ticks me off, thinking that so much money was spent by my boyfriend to give me a nice relaxing vacation and your manager/supervisor staff won't take me into consideration and kick them out of the lobby. I was on the beach on Monday and there was a bunch of different guests discussing this matter. Maybe you shouldn't allow large groups of young people from the town into the resort during March Break time. I have lost sleep over this guys. But I shouldn't complain because they are on vacation... oh... I forgot that I am on vacation as well.
I realize that this is Mexico and time is a little slower than what I am used to but I just came from dinner and had to wait 20 mins to be seated in the Mexican/Italian part of the restaurant and there were plenty of seats available. The wait staff, although friendly (except for one) are way to slow. We were there Sunday for lunch. We were seated, given a menu, and waited 15mins for them to come take our order. The only reason someone came was because the girl who seated us, her and I made I contact. She then asked a waiter to come serve us and he argued with her and he continued to clean his table. Another waiter came and was a little cold towards us but in the end he was quite pleasant and deserved the couple dollars we left him.
The next day we went down to the beach. We were there for about an hr and a half before someone came and took our drink order. He left and about a half hour later he came down with a tray full of drinks and gave ours away to someone else! So I put up my hands and said where's my drinks and he said... You want to order? I said we already did! So he realized his mistake and went and got ours but not before taking a couple of other orders.
Our cleaning ladies are great other than Saturday when I had to ask for her to clean. We noticed that she was close to our room moving in our direction so we left for a little while longer. When we came back she was going away from us! Not sure why. She didn't touch our room.
The pictures online are definately outdated, and the Bel Air Spa would definately deserve a 5 star rating if more attention to detail was taken. The whole concept of your hotel is great, it is just dated!...Unfortunately without a major paint and caulking job I will not return. This hotel is so close to being a five star, but sooooo far away from being a five star. It could be such a beautiful resort... I mean that

Room Tip: 5202 very nice reno'd room... It is the second floor of the hotel, but an awesome view an wonder...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dodge2
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest:

I regret that we do not meet your expectations during his time in Bel Air, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments. I assure you that nothing is more important to us as comfort and satisfaction of each person who gives us the honor of being our guest, it’s a shame you feel disappointed with the quality of service. Hope gives us the opportunity to return in the future to provide the best personalized service and make your vacation in Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa a truly luxurious experience.

Kind Regards
General Manager.

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

poco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel has potential but the lack of proper management ruins it. When the pool, beach waiter is off for the day, you become the waiter. Even after I pointed out they did not have a server at the pool beach area they got someone for a quick round then nothing for the rest of the day. I do not want to spend my day chatting with others in the lineup for drinks or snacks. It was like no one was running the place. As the previous positive review said, the pool snack bar opens at 1pm but it says on the paper they give you when you check in that it opens at noon as well as the dinner starts at 6pm but as they said it actually takes until 630 to open. The food was good when you could get it. Many menu items not available, to save money maybe. It doesn't take 5 days to restock a missing item. As far as good workers go , I agree Omar, Marvin and Javier were great and a special mention for Benito as he was always happy, helpful and works very hard. Benito should be running the place and the rest could learn mucho about customer service. He and Omar bring joy to this sad place. The pool bartender, who brings the music is too full of himself and complains if you order a drink that he finds inconvenient to make. They say you will have a pampered experience, no way unless they get some new management. I took care of myself. Anytime you needed something the front desk would say right away sir and type in her computer but never was followed through on. If they don't understand what I want or it's not available, just say I don't understand or we do not have that. The service here was so unreliable it became a joke. We talked to multiple people that were changing hotels because they were so disappointed. Do not believe the positive reviews. I did not receive the vacation that I was led to believe I would. Put Benito in charge for now. He could not do a worse job than being done now, and I am sure he would be a huge improvement at a fraction of the price. I will believe the bad reviews next time and not let the positive ones outweigh them.

Room Tip: try a different hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank hawaiibaby
Dear Guest:

First and foremost I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations.
I do understand that Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun does not suit your kind of life styles, but also glad to mention that Bel Air Collection have various fabulous hotels with different concepts. We are always happy to know that our guests can find their own perfect resort within Bel Air Collection chain.

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

The hotel is older but very clean, the ocean room was very spacious,the king bed was as good as in our own home very comfortable, hot water any time,everything worked fine, the restraunt has a small buffet mostly salads, soup, pasta and different meat daily.You order of the menu like an alacarte for your breakfast lunch and dinners, the meals were very good, no dissapointments,and you can tip when you sighn your bill or at the end of your stay they can keep track of this at the end of every meal. The pool area is very big with lots of lounge chairs, same as the beach area, its not a big party atmosphere, good if you just want to social drink in the afternoon and early evening. Overall it was good, really nice beach and carribean waters.

Room Tip: Ocean view was real nice, lagoon view beautiful sunsets.
3 Thank Calvin D
Dear Guest:

Please allow me to express my gratefulness for sharing with us this generous comments; it’s my sincere pleasure to learn from your review that our team filled your vacation with care and memories. We all are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun.

General Manager.
Antrim, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our first time at an All Inclusive. The Bel Air Collection was fantastic! Outdoor courtyard to have morning coffee, afternoon treats and evening cocktails in a breezy environment with the sky as the backdrop. The rooms were large and clean. The refrigerator was stocked well and if you needed anything all you had to do was ask. We requested more bottled water and after the request was made there was always plenty. The pool area was beautiful it was a pleasure to hang out at the pool and feel you were right on the beach. The pool area was very clean.
Bartenders very attentive--Alex was right on the ball. Fresh fruit and a variety of breakfast items everyday--Marvin started our day with a smile! You must try the Green Juice! Everyone on staff greets you with a smile and greeting. Saving the best for last, our new family member Gibram was a treasure. You will meet him in the restaurant. I will have to warn you that he is ours, so don't try to take him away. Seriously, the nicest guy you will meet. All in all I can not say enough good about the Bel Air. If you are looking for a 3 ring circus of a hotel--do not come here. If you are looking for a lovely vacation this is the place for you. Everyone is helpful and the action is a short bus ride away. Check out Market 23 before you go to Market 28.
Can't wait to go back

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lois603
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us.

Best Regards.
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

This was my first time to Mexico and I would highly recommend the Bel Air Resort. From the pool to the beach to the service and rooms, I couldn't say anything bad about our experience. Omar was fantastic at the pool bar....he was fun and energetic and was great with service. The restaurants were great. The food was fantastic and the environment was relaxing. The sushi was especially great. The bus system comes right to the Resort drive and only $1 usd to the local hot spots or downtown. The spa at the Resort was relaxing - I had the best massage.

I would recommend to my friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Karen C
Dear Guest:

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind feedback and recognition of our efforts, you can be sure it is a great inspiration for us. I truly hope this holiday memories bring you back to Bel Air Collection Cancun Resort & Spa shortly.

Kind Regards