“Would not recommend!!”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #80 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I have just returned from a 10 night stay at this hotel (27th Jan-6th Feb) and have to say I would never never go back. Despite the reviews, I had high hopes as I am well travelled and see the room as somewhere to merely put your head. It was smaller than expected and quite dated but it is a nice looking hotel in a great location with a very relaxed atmosphere. The view of the infinity pool and the beach as you arrive are stunning.

It has the potential to be a really good hotel but they are just too disorganised and it leaves you frustrated and a little stressed. Tipping did appear to be a major influence on getting a better service but when on day one we were not getting a good service, if what we received was service at all, there was no incentive for us to tip (although we always did despite the poor service!). What is more frustrating is that it was not due to short staff as there were plenty of waiters/waitresses milling around at all times.

I was with a friend and we had a twin room on the 6th floor overlooking the lagoon. It was lovely but the first two points noted- no safe key and second we were provided with only two towels. We had to ask reception about the safe key and thought it a little off they did not provide this to us when checking in.

I had the All-inclusive deal which should mean it is easy to eat and drink but sadly it was hard work to get any real service. The opening hours for the restaurants were not consistent and the way the restaurants worked was also never explained (there is just one room divided into two and as I now understand it we should have been given the option of one of two menus). Before every meal we had to give our room number and name to the host; on our 9th day she welcomed us as though it was our first day which highlighted for me the lack of any real rapport with the guests. The service was slow, extremely disorganised and not generally that friendly. It was also somewhat awkward in that you still had to request a 'check/bill' at the end of every meal which was a blatant attempt to encourage tipping. Sadly the service did not justify this type of system and it made eating overly complicated and I personally would have just preferred to have a wrist band than faff about before and after every meal signing paperwork for a meal I had in theory already paid for.

One day a waiter asked if we needed a minute to look over the menu and laughed when we said yes explaining a Mexican minute means an hour!

We did not eat in the restaurant in the end because it was too much hassle and the food is ok but not great. The Sushi again was ok but not delicious. I notice they seem to focus a lot on the presentation of their food rather than the taste and quality. The breakfast is a buffet but you have to wait to be served drinks, they often misheard and brought the wrong juice. I had to nearly always go and find salt and pepper from other tables and cutlery was always missing and on one occasion it was even dirty. One morning at 9.30 we attended the buffet to find that there was no food!! All the hot dishes were empty, no cold meats or salad, fruit was also depleted and there were only a few pastries and rolls left yet more people were being seated. I waited 30 minutes and only then I saw it dawn on staff that there was no food (but only when someone managed to grab a waiter and let them know not because of all the confused customers hovering by the buffet).

One evening when we did choose to eat in the restaurant it was fairly empty and the staff were very attentive and helpful. It was a nice evening in fairness. We ordered two starters and two mains. My starter arrived and I then had to ask where my friend's starter was, despite the waiter repeating 'dos' when ordering the starters, it had not been prepared. They then brought out our mains while we were still eating our starters and placed them too on the table. They were good to us in that they kept bringing various cocktails for us to try to our table as we ate. However, when we asked for the check it became apparent that all the drinks we had not asked for but had been given had been added to the check and given that the tip would be 10-20% of the check I found this quite sneaky.

The snack bar by the pool was meant to be open from 12pm -6pm every day. Our first day we were told it was closed at 3pm and we couldn't get food. We managed to order twice from the snack bar however the gas ran out the first time I was ordering after I had already waited 30 minutes. I then had to wait until it was changed and then realised other people who had ordered after me were getting their food. I had to point at my order and ask Mario to make it, it had just been placed in a pile of orders, despite being numbered there was no order to the service at the snack bar, it took over an hour to get some food on this occasion. I thought this was a one off due to the gas issue but it happened again- 45 minutes waiting to get nachos and a hamburger! They are only reheating not actually cooking so this really is an unacceptable level of 'service'. In the end like with the main restaurant it just wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get anything from the snack bar.

The cleaners did not clean the room daily. Towels were taken when they did and not fully replaced. Only to then be given more than we had before, which was appreciated.

There is a mini bar which I thought was fantastic but it is rarely restocked and one day we returned to our room to find we had been given only water when it was clear the soft drinks were being drunk. We even asked the person restocking directly for coke on one occasion and again we were only given water. This was a big problem when one night we returned at 10.45pm to be told the bar in the lobby was closed and there was not much drink in our fridge.

We also got the shock of our life when we returned back to the room late one evening early on in our stay to find the lights on and the TV blaring! For some reason they think it is nice to enter your room when you are not there turn your TV on and leave little cakes?! We found this strange as even if you are in the room they knock and if they get no reply they just enter anyway. We wouldn't have minded if the cakes were provided at the same time as the cleaning service or the restocking of the fridge or as part of turning down the beds in the evening (which they didn't do). We asked that this was stopped as to return to a room with the TV blaring is unfair on other guests and also a little creepy. This request was ignored and the cakes kept coming unless we were in the room to decline them.

The room was comfortable but the AC is very loud and there was a leak in our bathroom ceiling, we thought might be connected to the AC. The rooms are not very well soundproofed I could hear the people in the next room showering and talking as though they were in our room but thankfully we had good neighbours either side. Had they been loud obnoxious types it may have been a different story.

After a week the computer system also registered me and my friend under a completely different room number. This made it difficult when getting food and drink as everything goes under your room number. I was also concerned about charges as although I was under an all inclusive package if my details had been changed orders could have been charged or applied to my room. This problem thankfully did not materialise but something to definitely watch and highlights a further lack of organisation.

As to times for cleaning rooms, restocking the fridges and delivering cakes, there was no set times. Once they cleaned early mroning and the next time we returned to the room at 4pm and it still hadn't been done.

The day before our last day reception repeatedly called our room with a wake up call at about 7 and then again shortly after that. In the end to stop them calling i had to take the phone off the hook. I can only assume the people who had by that time been registered under my room had requested a wake up call.

The final straw for me was finding on my last night that some money had been taken from my room. It was only a small amount of money so I had not placed it in the safe, merely put it in with my belongings as it was a £5 note and a few coins. The fact of the theft is bad enough but it meant that staff had been through my things. I mentioned it to David in reception and I was made to fill out a report but have heard nothing more and don't really care to. David was very helpful and friendly, assisting me with my airport pick up which was also a nightmare to organise as the company we had to call were not picking up the phone.

I wouldn't stay here, you don't want to be moaning or frustrated on your holiday and unfortunately this place would test the patience of a saint. One or two small mishaps would have been fine but it was literally a constant struggle and effort to get the meals and drinks technically paid for.

Plus side: sun beds are really comfortable and there are always plenty of towels. Some of the staff were lovely but we did not really get to know any of them and the whole eating thing became such an ordeal breakfast was as much as we could put up with as we served ourselves.

Resort Tip: the bus service is fantastic. For 8 pesos you can get a bus ride outside the hotel to all the tourist spots, shopping and clubs and bars. The bus service runs 24 hours. Just tell the driver where you need to go, they drive like loons but get you there and will also tell you when you need to get off.

Money: I was told to take pesos only as they are trying not to use dollars anymore. This was rubbish. I got a worse exchange rate on my pesos than my friend got with her dollars. My tip would be to take both dollars and pesos.

Don't forget the 800 pesos exit tax on your way out at the airport. The biggest and last tip a gave to Mexico!!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank Genevieve G
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Dear Guest:

First of all I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun and for taking the time to share with us your experience with us, we are one process improvement and thanks to comments like yours that allow us to meet our goal. Please accept my sincere apologies. I hope that you can give us the opportunity to demonstrate you in the near future our change.

Lic. Andrea Bosio.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,990)

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Bel Air Collection for 3 nights all inclusive at the beginning of January. The place is OK if you keep your expectations low and are okay with a few shortcomings. We had a all-inclusive package deal from livingsocial, which was for a deluxe ocean view room and included all the meals and drinks.

The place does need some urgent capital re-investment, as the building showing age and remodeling is surely needed. I am definitely not a picky traveler, however, we ended up having to switch the room 3 times until it was acceptable.

The first night we got a room on the 1st floor, right above a kitchen or some service area. Needless to say the noise was unacceptable, all night long you could hear dishes being washed and loud employee conversations. Next day the guy at check-in was rather friendly and accommodating, got us a room on the 6th (top) floor, but that had a at A/C making a noise that was even worse than the previous room, so we immediately asked for another. After a tip we finally got a room on the 5th floor, with a awesome balcony and ocean view. The sink in the bathroom didn't really drain water, but we didn't want to move again, and decided we could live with it (they did send someone to "fix" it right away, but it never worked quite right).

The restaurants were quite good. The lunch and dinner menu were quite extensive and we found our food delicious and the servers very friendly and quick. We never had to wait on being seated or on service. The drinks at the restaurant were also made well and served quickly. However, I did find the sushi restaurant sub-par.

The service at the bar and pools was fair. They did have a drink menu, but dont expect anything extraordinary here. Service can be slow as they seem to be always understaffed. The mini bar was restocked daily with two cans of Sol beer and some soft drinks.

The best part is definitely the great location. Nice and quiet with an amazing beach and a great infinity pool. They do provide ample beach towels nice and comfy beach chairs all round. They also provide a life-guard, which is great as we saw some folks getting rescued after they wandered out to the sea too far.

Overall this is a place to stay if you want a nice and quiet vacation on a great beach, away from the craziness of further north. The employees were friendly and seem to do their best to make your stay enjoyable. I would definitely not pay full price for the Bel Air Collection, but if you get a good deal and keep your expectations low, you will have a great time. I know we did!

Room Tip: Amazing view from Ocean View 5th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest:

Thanks for sharing your opinion with us It is a pleasure to know that your stay was satisfactory. I would like to thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again.

Lic. Andrea Bosio
Gerente General

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have arranged a one week stay at this hotel. First day, the television is not working. Next the lock in the hotel room is broken and my wife is stuck inside the room and I am stuck outside. It takes them an hour to send someone over. They can't open the door and have to get in through our neighbors balcony. Next we are told there is no lock for the safe for the first 24 hours.

We next try to eat at the restaurant they have. Lunch is supposedly served till 5 pm. We get there at 440 pm. We are told the cafeteria is closed. Yes it's actually not a restaurant but more a cafeteria style feeling. We are told they only have hamburgers or pizza and that is it. Another night we present at 1030 for dinner when they are supposedly closing at 11 pm. Once again we are told there is no service. We ask for tea and they state they can't offer this to us and that room service should vibe able to handle it. We call room service and it takes an hour to get a response. They state they will deliver a tea bag but nnhot water and that we should use the coffee machine to boil some water. We try to boil hot water with their coffee machine and it is broken.

Upon initially presenting to the hotel we clearly told them three times that no is to enter our room without our express request. On two occasions made service disregarded our request and entered the room. The hotel manager apologized for this and acknowledged that it should not have occurred.

There is no wifi in any of the rooms. Snif you are a professional this is a poor arrangement for you. Only wifi access is is if you come to the hotel loby.

As for the dinng arrangements in the facilities they are horrible. The food is mediocre at best. They have one restaurant or cafeteria as we called it which was split in half with the same meals every night if you had signed up for the all inclusive meals.

If you wanted alcohol be aware that most of their drinks were sugar water. The only alcohol based drinks were there rum, gin, and cheap tequila.

If you tried to get a drink by the pool it walked take an hour. The glasses were not washed properly and you risk catching hepatitis a from there poor form

Over we would not reccomend this hotel to our friends. Yes it was in front of the water and the room had a fair ocean from view but it is not worth the hassle.

The people who work there don't treat the guest with any interest or concern.

You can spend your money in wiser fashion.

Peace

Room Tip: A word to the wise. Save you money and go some where else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michael S

Dear Guest:

Thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. On behalf of all staff please accept my most sincere apologies for not covering your expectations and for any inconvenience you had during your stay, I'd like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Cancun, Mexico a week ago. We stayed at the Bel Air Collection Resort. I had read many mixed reviews on here and was not sure what to expect. First off, the view is amazing! The beach was so beautiful. We had an Ocean View room with the all-inclusive package.

All-Inclusive: This package is the way to go in my opinion. The food they serve is great! The sushi bar serves the best sushi I have ever eaten. Ask for Gerardo!!

The drinks served are hit or miss. Sometimes they have what you're looking for, other times they do not. Either way, we loved it. We are pretty easy going people, so we just mixed whatever we wanted that they had available if they didn't have our first choice. UNDERSTAND that this is a locally owned hotel. This is not some big chain that has all the top-shelf liquors and such. They are very generous with whatever you ask for

The staff was so great and accommodating. I would totally go back and stay here again. Great price, great people, great get away!

Room Tip: Be sure to get an Ocean View room!
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I wouldn't call this place a resort, more like a hotel on a beach. If your looking for a getaway and don't care if they don't have certain items on the menu or dressing for the salads and have to wait a while for a drink, this is the place for you. If you think your going to see tropical drinks made in coconuts and fancy glasses like they advertise on the website, your wrong. We had to bring our own bananas to the bar to get them to make Bahama Mamas, not a wide selections of drinks best bet is to stick to beer, when available. We had to purchase beer across the street the first night we arrived. Just pray it does`t rain or have high wind no real good place to hide besides your room. It`s too bad, cuz the hotel it self is not bad at all, great ocean view rooms, nice pool and beach. But most of the staff seemed like they really didn't like their jobs, or just get paid really good and don`t depend on tips.The 3 guys (Omar,Alex, and Mario) at the pool bar were the most pleasant workers we met.This was my first trip to Mexico and I think I will continue to go to Dominican the overall atmosphere seems so much better, they really make you feel welcome and appreciate you visiting their country.

Room Tip: Room with a balcony, ocean view. We stayed in 5611 and friends had 5202, both good rooms.
1  Thank Alain M

Dear Guest:

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meet your expectations.
I'd also say that our main goal is continuous improvement, and thanks to comments like yours that can make possible. I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again and feel free to contact me for any comments.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Me and my husband love staying at the bel air, all the staff is very welcoming and they make you feel like you're at home.
The service at the restaurant is amazing, since the moment you get to the door until you leave, at the pool bar Omar, Mario and Alex always made sure that we were well attended, always asking if we needed something but the most important thing about them was that they were always with a smile on their faces, polite at all times, making our stay even more pleasant.
The Bel air is for now on our hotel when traveling to Cancun.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank DianaRdz
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review and recognition of our effort, which is a great inspiration to us in our work. I truly hope that memories of this vacation will bring you back to Bel Air collection resort & Spa Cancun soon.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Myself and my partner selected this hotel for a holiday to celebrate her 21st birthday. After reading lots of varied reviews before we left we didn't know what to expect.
Upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel, it has magnificent views out to the beach and sea, the hotel itself looks great. The lobby area does however get very windy when you are in and around the bar area as its all open plan.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Miguel and the concierge Brianda who helped us book some activities.
The restaurant is sometimes slow to be seated or served and not always open on time, couple of occasions we had to wait 20 minutes until they opened but all in all the food was great. Language barrier is occasionally an issue but generally we got what we asked for.
Pool bar in my opinion is what lets the place down, there is no drinks menu available and when you ask what drinks they do, sometimes you get a blank stare in response. One particular bar tender Called Mario was not very helpful or friendly, his attitude was rude and obnoxious towards us, he either doesn't appear to like his job or just expects to be tipped every time he poured us a drink.
The beach area is great with comfy beds and romantic 4 poster beach beds.
We booked a candle lit dinner on the beach on the evening of my girlfriends birthday which was fantastic, the food was amazing and service was great. We had earlier received a complimentary bottle of champagne and a cake in our room, and we then had a further 2 bottles with our dinner.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel to couples, there are always going to be things that people aren't happy with or have a negative experience of. The fact you have to wait after every meal to sign a receipt with your room number and name is something that could be changed.

1  Thank Sticky_5

Dear Guest:

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. On behalf of all staff please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay, I'd like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. I hope to see you soon.

Best Regards.