“My 21st Birthday Trip”

Ranked #82 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“My 21st Birthday Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Myself and my partner selected this hotel for a holiday to celebrate her 21st birthday. After reading lots of varied reviews before we left we didn't know what to expect.
Upon arriving, we were pleasantly surprised by the hotel, it has magnificent views out to the beach and sea, the hotel itself looks great. The lobby area does however get very windy when you are in and around the bar area as its all open plan.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Miguel and the concierge Brianda who helped us book some activities.
The restaurant is sometimes slow to be seated or served and not always open on time, couple of occasions we had to wait 20 minutes until they opened but all in all the food was great. Language barrier is occasionally an issue but generally we got what we asked for.
Pool bar in my opinion is what lets the place down, there is no drinks menu available and when you ask what drinks they do, sometimes you get a blank stare in response. One particular bar tender Called Mario was not very helpful or friendly, his attitude was rude and obnoxious towards us, he either doesn't appear to like his job or just expects to be tipped every time he poured us a drink.
The beach area is great with comfy beds and romantic 4 poster beach beds.
We booked a candle lit dinner on the beach on the evening of my girlfriends birthday which was fantastic, the food was amazing and service was great. We had earlier received a complimentary bottle of champagne and a cake in our room, and we then had a further 2 bottles with our dinner.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel to couples, there are always going to be things that people aren't happy with or have a negative experience of. The fact you have to wait after every meal to sign a receipt with your room number and name is something that could be changed.

1 Thank Sticky_5
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Guest:

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. On behalf of all staff please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you had during your stay, I'd like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. I hope to see you soon.

Best Regards.
Lic. Andrea Bosio
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

The location of this older hotel is marvelous right on the beach with a large magnificent infinity pool that has a swim-up bar. The hotel is however on the far south end of the Kukulcan Blvd. (19.5 km), but it really does not matter as there is very reasonable (about 65 cents) and very frequent (every second minute or so) bus service up the boulevard to the centre of Cancun.
The rooms are well appointed in white Scandinavian decor. The bed is very large and good. But the ocean view from the rooms facing the beach is what really tops everything. There is a television, but it features very few American stations, and the CNN news was sorely missed to keep you up on date of what is happening around the world. There is a coffee machine in the room, but ours did not work and was not repaired until we had complained a few times. The food in the restaurant is average and repetitious, but the staff is friendly, and we enjoyed the week we spent at the hotel, which is apparently now being seriously upgraded. So we look forward to be back some time.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are the ones to go for. Some would have balcony.
Dear Guest:

First of all Thank you very much for sharing your experience, to the Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa comments like yours are helpful to identify our areas of opportunity. Your comments and suggestions are taken into account and are the benchmark for better service. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Lic. Andrea Bosio
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My friends and I went to this resort in November 2012. The hotel is located in the south side of the beach further away from all the activities. The Hotel is in poor condition need a lot of upgrade. Rooms are good size and bathrooms were good. They claim to have two restaurants at the location but there was only one restaurant they had open for lunch and dinner. Service at the restaurant was terrible you had to wait good 20 mins to get seated. Once you were seated no one will bring your menu or drinks. You had to constantly ask them to get service. When they took your order you had to wait 45 mins or so to get your food. Overall, it was one of the worst service I have ever received in my life and I would not go back there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sam F
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Guest:

First of all Thank you very much for sharing your opinion, comments like yours are helpful to identify our areas of opportunity. Your comments and suggestions are taken into account and are the benchmark for better service. But hopefully in the future give us the opportunity to change the bad image that you have of the hotel. We will be happy to receive it in Bel Air Cancun.

Gerente General

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Pros:
great location on beach with nearby pool and bar;
economical;
great nachos;
room (with great view) and bathroom were well worth the price;
good services, such as internet, TV, massage and small shop;
very friendly staff and excellent service.

Cons:
needs a makeover;
food in restaurant was average (although service was great);
a very lifeless end of Cancun (but may be what you´re after).

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dan_Viv
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your generous words, I'd like to say that our goal is continuous improvement, and this is made possible by comments like yours. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Rouyn-Noranda, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We come from Rouyn-Noranda, Quebec, Canada.
We stayed at the Bel Air Collection in cancun from January 1 to 8, 2013.
We had 7 sunny days. The temperature was around 27-28 celcius degree all week.

The bad points: The first two days, we were upset to see that only one restaurant was opened. The third day, they open the sushi bar. During the week, the italian restaurant was never opened neither the grill and the wet foot restaurant near the pool. Furthermore, we had always the same menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was just OK. In the lobby bar, the barman named Mario had always an angry face, no smile and did not seem to like his job. Also, we ran out beer, pina colada and other drinks few times during the week! Not at the end of the day, but at the beginning of the afternoon. Be carefull, you can get cold sore at the pool bar because they don't wash properly the glasses they only rinse them. And as well, we always have to give our name and room number to eat or to drink even if we took an all inclusive package. There is no bracelet system who could help the waitress and waiters to make it much easier and faster for every one! Sometimes, we have to come back in 20 or 30 minutes for dinner because they ran out of food or not enough staff. If you think that you can eat something quick for lunch, forget it! The service is very long! They should have more staff at the restaurant and the pool bar.

The positive points: If you really want to relax, its a good place. It's a quiet place and there is no evening animation. The pool and the rooms are cleaned. Also, the bed is very comfortable!

Overall, we won't go there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Aline P
Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations and for the problems that you had your stay, but hopefully in the future give us the opportunity to change the bad image that you have of the hotel. We will be happy to receive it in Bel Air Cancun. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I travelled to Cancun with my girlfriend between jan3-10 celebrating my 50th. birthday. We picked Bel Air for its location and quiet atmosphere. Our room was facing the sea every morning waking up to the roar of the waves. Room sevice was great, the staff somehow new what time we were out, and tide it up. The food was superb and as the week went by the service improved greatly. Sometimes in the restaurant the wating for the food was too long. On my birthday, the hotel suprized me with a birthday cake. Thank you for that, it meaned a lot to me. If someone is looking for a nice relaxing holiday, I highly recommend this hotel. Thank you Yoslin for your hospitality.

AD.

Room Tip: Both sides of the hotel offers great view.
2 Thank Tony D
Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us.Thanks for your recommendations and we will be waiting for your next visit with your family and friends.

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This review is long overdue! I visited this resort in May 2010 and it was very good! Do not listen to the bad reviews! I was treated like family, basically if something was missing, they would fix up for it right away.

First of all, we flew with Air Transat. The flight was good and the distance from the airport to the hotel is around 20 minutes. It is a small resort, do not come here for spring break or with a bunch or friends. It's a place where you travel with your wifey/hubby.

Check in was a breeze, I booked the Suite. Very nice and clean room. Pedro did a good job by cleaning the room and making those cute animals with our towels! The suite is a must get if you are travelling with your other half. The jacuzzi is AMAZING and the view is breathtaking from the room! The only problem is that there is not really a balcony if you chose the suite..you literally have to JUMP over the jacuzzi!

The infinity pool is amazing, perfect place to relax with your other half! The beach is gorgeous.

I am a very picky eater and I found the food absolutely AMAZING & so are the drinks.

Service is top notch whether you are at the buffet or by the pool area. They will always make sure you have a drink in your hand!

This is not a party hotel...It is more to relax! The distance of this hotel until town is about 15-20mins cab ride!

Special thanks to Mario, Erika, Pedro, Marvin & Omar

Planning on going to cancun next month and will def book this hotel again if they offer a good deal!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Insanexvi3tgrl
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your generous comments about our work and our services. There is nothing more satisfying as knowing that our customers had a memorable stay with us. Thanks for your recommendations and we will be waiting for your next visit with your family and friends.

Best Regards.