“Never Again”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #76 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Went for my 50th, over the Xmas break, what a mistake it was staying in this hotel. Have to say the room was nice, but we took the all inclusive package and was So disappointed . The food was HORRIBLE!!!! And the alcohol was just as bad, best thing I drank was the oj. And don't even get me started on what they call "3 restaurants" that's a joke.
There was no entertainment in this hotel, not even music by pool. I figured since we had paid for all inclusive we should just stay in hotel and enjoy, but I was wrong.
Everything went wrong from the beginning, starting off by using orbitz.com.
There was only one person in Cancun that made a difference and that was a waiter/bartender by the name of Alex.

3  Thank DELATINA38
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations. We hope for the future opportunity to present you that our best efforts are made to meet the highest expectations and guest's satisfaction is our first priority.

Lic. Andrea Bosio

Write a ReviewReviews (3,208)

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We traveled here for our honeymoon. After the craziness of the wedding we found the Bel Air was a great place to relax. Our room was clean and comfortable and the bed was awesome. The view from our ocean-view room with balcony was great (an upgrade we got because it was our honeymoon). It overlooked the infinity pool which in turn overlooked the ocean. Whether from our room or pool side the view was spectacular.

The hotel itself has a motif which is a mix of sandblasted white stone and white linen, with a few pieces of modern, red furniture as accents. It has an air of quiet sophistication (read: not a place to go to party). We were there on the all inclusive plan. This means we ate almost all of our meals at the in house restaurant. Although it is a single restaurant, they had separate menus for breakfast, lunch and supper with many different choices in each. The service was great. However, if we were to stay there again, we would probably choose the European plan which would encourage us check out more of the restaurants along the resort strip (easily accessible via buses which run with an amazingly high frequency).

All in all, it was a good place to take a load off.

Room Tip: Ocean-view with balcony (if you can get it)
4  Thank JessicaOtt
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear Guest :

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Thanks for sharing your opinion with us as well as the encouraging words about our team and our work. It is a pleasure to know that your stay was satisfactory. I would like to thank you for your recommendations and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again.

General Manager.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed here for 11 nights over Christmas and New Years. I had 2 separate reservations for 2 different room types, one for the Jacuzzi suites, which were not available for the entire time period, and 1 for a standard room.

Our first 3 nights were miserable, in a room located directly over the kitchen and hallway to the laundry facility out the back of the hotel. It was LOUD all night long and we got very little sleep, even wearing ear plugs. There was dishes clanging, carts rattling, people shouting...If we were the Cancun party type of people, we'd have probably passed out and not heard anything, but we are not the party type and heard way too much.

They finally got us moved after 3 nights and we were happy with the 2 rooms [3 more nights in a Jacuzzi suite and the rest in a standard room]. The rooms were comfortable and clean, had nice TV's and the A/C worked well. Beds and pillows were comfy. It would be nice if they had a TV guide that tells English speaking people which channels are English vs. Spanish so you didn't have to page through all 70+ channels....

We were on the all inclusive meal plan for a couple days but were not impressed with the food or the restaurant. There are too many good places to eat in Cancun so we decided not to be constrained to a restaurant that was quite boring, had a so so menu, and was an echo chamber, with no outside seating, unless you wanted to sit in water. The poolside grille was open during the day but we found the food delivered cold and not so good tasting. The wait staff also was very slow working the pool area - if you wanted a drink, you'd go really thirsty unless you went to the bar. We once went over 2 hours without being waited on, and I was tipping!

So, we went off the all inclusive plan and used TripAdvisor to pick restaurants to eat in and bought our own beverages at the EXTRA convenience store a few blocks away. We ate very well and actually spent less money going this route. See my other reviews on restaurants like Blu and the Surfin Burrito for details...

The Bel Air has no consistency. Some days we got water in the bathroom for brushing our teeth and some days we didn't. Same goes for clean towels, shampoo, etc. They are supposed to have coffee and tea service daily, in the morning and the evening, but didn't have every evening we were there. I was told we could have coffee in the restaurant that night. They seldomly had hot water to make tea and ran out off coffee often.

They had a DJ on New Years Eve and played music until 2:30 am, which is ok as it was NYE. However, you think they might have extended morning coffee past 7 am??? A little common sense here would be nice as everyone was awake until the music stopped...

The Bel Air had 1 person trying to have us meet up with a Sales Rep, but we stayed away - I deal with sales reps at work every day and wanted to get away from this. At least they were not pushy on this and offered a spa credit for our time if we were to take the time.

The beach and pool areas of the Bel Air are very nice. I'd have to say the lounge chairs on the beach are the nicest I've seen in 7 trips to Mexico. They are very comfy and adjust for lying flat or sitting up a bit. They keep up the beach and pool areas well - no issues here. They always had clean towels available also. They also had a life guard on duty, most of the time, during the day, watching out as the surf was quite strong and they had red flag warnings for most of our stay. I even saw the lifeguard launch into action, as a swimmer got into a rip current, but the lifeguard talked him through the steps to get out and the swimmer got out ok without the lifeguard going into the water. It was good to see him on the alert all the time.

Overall, this was an average stay for me as I travel on business a lot, and this place is just average.

Room Tip: Don't book a room above the kitchen!!!!!!

Dear Guest:

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us these generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you had with your room.We all are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We came with reservation confirmation printed out for two rooms. They claimed to not have any record of our reservation. However, there was another party here at the exact same time with confirmation numbers that the hotel also did not their reservation. Instead of offering any accommodation, they made us call their booking agency in another part of the country. They had no communication with this company and made us wait on hold for 2 hours+. Once the reservation company confirmed the reservation, the hotel management still denied us a room and said it was the reservation company's responsibility and the hotel reservation company said it was the hotel's responsibility. Long story short, they did not give us a room nor did they organize any other accommodation. Avoid hours of hassle in vain; do not book at this miserable excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Ryan Z

Dear Guest:

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations and for the problems that you had with reservations, but hopefully in the future give us the opportunity to change the bad image that you have of the hotel. We will be happy to receive it in Bel Air Cancun. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Worst Customer Service! they still owe me my security deposit and every time I call they put me on hold or tell me "theyll call me back" now im stuck calling mexico and waiting for the hotel to put the money back on my card. everytime i call back asking for the person i spoke to before they are never in and i have to explain my situation to someone else and again wait for a callback

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luis V
BELAIR_CANCUN291, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest:

Please accept my most sincere apologies and kindly contact me by email: direccion@thebelair.com.mx. I am confident that we can find the solution.

Lic. Andre Bosio
Genaral Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Bottom Line: I wouldn’t stay here again. I’d pay the few hundred/night extra to be elsewhere. But if you don’t have a lot of money, the BelAir is acceptable as long as you keep a few things in mind (read below for details.)

For 5 days and 4 nights, my husband and I paid $800 – sans plane tickets. This included the hotel, all food & drink, a parasailing ride, and a submarine reef tour. Do NOT pay more than this. For just a little more, you can get a MUCH better hotel.

The Bel Air is not one of the stars of the strip. It is a budget place that rides the baseline: not dumpy, not fancy. One woman paid $3,000. Her travel agent said it was one of the most luxurious hotels. Either the agent had no idea what he/she was talking about or they lied. The woman in question walked in, burst into tears, and paid $90 per day extra to spend her time at another hotel on the strip.

Summary
Pros:
> Acceptable rooms
> Beautiful view
> Amazing infinity pool
> In-and-out of water restaurants and bars with fantastic food
> Pleasant wait staff
> Spa is incredibly relaxing and fairly priced

Cons:
> Beware of paying too much – this is not a luxury hotel by any stretch!!!
> Glass at the pool
> Untrained (to US standards) medical staff (see Glass at the pool)
> Elevators do not have sensors. Do not put your hands in them
> You must get restaurant wait staff attention yourself—they do not approach you first
> Jacuzzi rooms do not have balconies, and there is no access to your window without crawling through the Jacuzzi itself
> Suites aren't actually suites. It’s a room with a Jacuzzi in front of the window

The Hotel Room:
Small and unadorned, this room is functional at best and otherwise unimpressive. The floors are all tile and everything is decorated white on white. The shower is extremely small, but the “rain drop” style shower head was pleasant, and we never ran out of hot water. The hotel staff is attentive and keeps the room clean. In the evenings, you find little dessert treats on your table. We did not have any issues with thieves, but we did ensure all of our belongings were kept in the armoire, out of sight. We had no problems with the room.

The Spa:
Go get a massage. I get massages in the USA, but I wasn't sure how the quality of the spa would measure up. They did not disappoint. You won’t get a healing deep-tissue massage (that’s what I’m used to), but you may end up asleep and happy on the table after an hour.

The Restaurants:
Bel Air boasts three restaurants and two bars. One bar is in the main lobby as is the sushi restaurant. Just sit at one of the low tables in the lobby during restaurant hours, and you will (eventually, sometimes) be served. The Mexican/Italian fusion restaurant is downstairs by the pool. There is also supposed to be a third restaurant there, but after five days, we never found it. The final bar is inside the pool itself.

They do not have top shelf liquors available at the bars – not even by request. At best, they have Don Julio Blanco or Jose Cuervo Tradicional. A single choice of red or white wine is available at the restaurants as part of the all-inclusive package. Any other wine choices are extra and far overpriced, even for a hotel.

If you want to be served, you must work at grabbing the servers’ attention. They are working long hours and are often understaffed. This means that if you don’t go to them, they will not come to you—ever. They just don’t have the time to spare. Give yourself at least an extra half hour to eat, because both drinks and food are a long time coming.

The corollary to the slow service is that the food here is amazing. I tried something new every single meal, and not once was I disappointed. The sushi is trustworthy (and I have a weak stomach), the Mexican/Italian fusion is drool-worthy, and the servers are all incredibly nice. If you’re at the pool bar, get your drinks from Omar; he makes fantastic drinks in spite of the limited liquor availability.

The Pool:
WEAR SHOES! THERE IS GLASS AT/IN THE POOL!

I sliced my foot wide open on the first day, and their medics are poorly trained. A doctor from Boston just happened to be on vacation and saved my day. He dug the glass out of my foot and dressed the wound. The hotel medic put gloves on and stared at his hands as though he had no idea what they were for, and rooted around in the first aid box looking at things as if he’d never seen them. That was terrifying. I’m not sure what would have happened if a real doctor had not been there. The medical kit didn't even have peroxide or bandages. The doctor had to clean my foot with chlorinated pool water, because that's the best he had.

You must remember when in Mexico that you are responsible for your own safety – in an out of the hotel. In five days, I got my foot cut open, a man died on the pier (not related to the hotel—don't worry), and a little girl had heat stroke (also not related to the hotel), and not one Mexican paramedic seemed to know what to do about it. It was upsetting and disturbing to see a mourning family collapse weeping around a sheet-covered body. Cancun looks like a first-world place, and technically it is, but treat it like you’re in the wilderness. Keep your wits and don’t take risks. Wear your shoes, and don’t assume someone else is ever looking out for your safety. They aren’t.

Otherwise, the pool is quite pretty. Wear your shoes IN the pool. Seriously. Glass.

Olympus Tour Package Extras:
I was not able to take advantage of the para-sailing voucher, since the weather didn't cooperate. I’m glad that the company was legitimate enough to deny entry on days it would be dangerous. A less reputable place may not have had your safety in mind.

The Sub See (submarine ride to the coral reef) is fantastic. I got pictures of massive reefs, schools of fish, barracuda, and huge sea turtles. I’d do it again, and you should definitely look into it.

Room Tip: > Jacuzzi rooms do not have balconies, and there is no access to your window without crawling thr...
10  Thank Heidi S

Dear Guest:

First and foremost I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Please accept my sincere apologies for not covering your expectations.
I would also like to say that our main goal is the continuous improvement; and it is thanks to comments like yours that we can make it possible.
I hope that you can give us the opportunity to demonstrate you in the near future.

Lic. Andre Bosio
Genaral Manager

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We've just returned from a 1-night stay at Bel Air and are struggling to comprehend the "4-star rating" that others have accorded it. Beginning with our arrival and the "grand staircase" up which we were meant to haul our bags (we couldn't find a porter, even though it was 4:00 p.m.) and ending with a checkout process that assumed we'd helped ourselves to the minibar (we hadn't), we had an experience that was more akin to a two-bit hotel in a one-horse town than to a "resort/spa" in a heavily populated tourist area. We had a better experience with our $45 lodging in Tulum (a treehouse in the barrio with an outdoor toilet). When we got there, it took us nearly 30 minutes to find our room, and no one offered to direct us. The numbering makes no sense. For example, room 6*** is NOT on the sixth floor; it is on the second floor. And woe be unto you if you are not a "party person." The outdoor lobby courtyard is loud, loud, LOUD, with thumping music blaring constantly and people shouting at all hours. Because the hotel is all hard surfaces (plastic, marble, glass, and metal), that sound echos throughout the property. The building itself has seen better days. The whitewash is badly in need of refreshing; the furniture is dated and worn. The elevator doors close before you've had a chance to get your bag out. It closed shut on mine, which was half in, half out, and then sent my companion down to the basement. We couldn't open the door again, and we're strong, capable people. I'd hate to think of it closing on someone with limited abilities. Our room on the second floor was spacious, but it smelled awful... like raw sewage. We had to close the bathroom door and open the window (allowing in the cigarette smoke from the parking lot below). Garish neon lights outside our window rounded out the picture. All that said, the pillows and water pressure were great, as were the staff at breakfast in the restaurant. But if you have over $200/night to spend and want a pleasant experience, consider passing Bel Air by.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank StickbugNC

Dear Guest :

I regret that we do not meet your expectations during his time in Bel Air, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments. I assure you that nothing is more important to us as comfort and satisfaction of each person who gives us the honor of being our guest, it’s a shame you feel disappointed with the quality of service. I hope you will give us the opportunity to receive you again in the future in order to provide you with the best personalized service and make your vacation in Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa a truly luxurious experience.

Lic . Andrea Bosio