“Great location - very rude staff at the front desk”

Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun
Ranked #76 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel is old but the pool and beach area are absolutely beautiful. I loved that you never had to fight for a chair either on the beach or by the pool. The "beds" on the beach were amazing - the most comfortable thing ever, this is where we spent most of our time. The spa seems to be under used which is a shame because there services are top notch. Nory does the best massage I've ever had and the price was very reasonable.

Pros: Beach, pool, bartenders by the pool were great - Jose rocked, even made me a special drink in a coconut one day and suprised me with it on the beach, very nice touch! The spa was out of this world - nice little gym as well. Liked the little cakes they would leave at your bedside at night but they were not consistent (left some nights and not others)

Cons: Only one real restaurant so you get tired of eating all 3 meals at the same place and not a big selection. The only time they offer mexican food is at breakfast, very strange, especially since they advertise having a Mexican restaurant - this is not true. The staff at the front desk was very rude (especially Christian) - they lied to us several times and actually mocked and made fun of us - not the way you should be treated as a customer!! On the upside, Marine at the front desk was very kind and sweet.

Room Tip: Definitely get the ocean view with a balcony
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jamie L
EliasBelAirCancun, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear: Jamie L.

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations and for the problems with reception, we but hopefully in the future give us the opportunity to change the bad image that you have of the hotel. We will be happy to receive it in Bel Air Cancun. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

kinds Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,208)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

The only good thing about this place was it's on the beach. First nightmare - internet: works part time. The first day of waking up to no electricity. Food - HORRIBLE. The thing I must laugh about is we were not allowed to leave the resturante or bar area with a drink in a glass only plactic cup - otherwise that would be considered room service and room service is not included in this all inclusive hotel - that would be an extra fee. One morning my husband went downstairs to get me a cup of coffee and he was not allowed to leave the area with a cup of coffee, because if he came to the room with coffee in a cup - that would be room service charge.

HOTEL - very very very old. It rained in our room thru the windows. AC - not so good. OH, when it rain - which it did every day - the smell of the sewer would come thru the drains in the bathrooms - NOT A GOOD SMELL.

All of the outdoor pool area furniture were held together with those plastic zip ties.

Also, I have an email from the hotel stating the taxi to and from the airport was included - NOT.

Room Tip: Don't go to this Hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snoble0328
EliasBelAirCancun, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear: Snoble0328

I regret that we do not meet your expectations during his time in Bel Air, please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you mentioned in your valuable comments. I assure you that nothing is more important to us as comfort and satisfaction of each person who gives us the honor of being our guest, it’s a shame you feel disappointed with the quality of service. I hope you will give us the opportunity to receive you again in the future in order to provide you with the best personalized service and make your vacation in Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa a truly luxurious experience.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a great time in the hotel, the design is very unique and effects the atmosphere and also the staff is very kind. It's a simple hotel, smaller that the others in the area, but because of it's unique design, it's a very special one.
The pool is beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Morans888
EliasBelAirCancun, Gerente at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear: Morans888

First of all I would like to thank you for your kind feedback and recognition of our efforts, you can be sure it is a great inspiration for us. I truly hope this holiday memories bring you back to Bel Air Collection Cancun Resort & Spa shortly.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The room and the bath were Big and clean,and high standard. We got a good view to the lagoon.

The pool is very beautiful, and the stuff is very kind.

We like that you can order food and drinks- and pay on checkout..

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank eyal c

Dear: Eyal C.

Thank you for choosing Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. I am glad to know that you enjoyed you stay. Looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Best regards

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a group of friends & we were all very disappointed by the customer service, among other things. In general, the staff were unfriendly and unaccommodating. For example, when we ordered food to the pool, we had to remind the staff several times to bring the food out b/c they would forget or give our food order to someone else. At the pool-side restaurant, the staff would often forget to bring one of the orders to the table. Additionally, about 1/4 of the group got sick & we did not leave the hotel prior to getting sick, which was after the first day of being there. Although it's hard to pinpoint the source of getting sick, we all noticed that the bartenders reused cups by simply dunking them in water (I'm assuming it was unfiltered/non-bottled). A couple friends in the group think the source of their sickness was the food. Moreover, we definitely all got sick from SOMETHING in the food or drinks served to us at the hotel. Lastly, at check-out the staff billed us several charges that we did not make. It took us a long time to check out and to clear all the unnecessary charges. I also had to sign into my e-mail and & e-mail the hotel my reservation confirmation # since they "lost" it after I checked in. I was extremely disappointed by this hotel & do not recommend staying this hotel if you would like an easy vacation. I have stayed at 2 other all-inclusive resorts in Mexico, and this hotel was by far WAY worse than what anyone was expecting.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the pool/ocean
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Kristin E
EliasBelAirCancun, General Manager at Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear: Kristinsevans

First of all receive my deepest apologies for not covering your expectations and for the problems that you had. I am very sorry that your experience was not as expected and you got sick. Our main goal is continuous improvement and comments like yours help us to make this possible, we are working hard on these areas of opportunity that you mention and hope to have the opportunity to change the bad image that we have caused. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Okay, it's already cheaper than most hotels in its price class. But it's not enough considering the poor maintenance of the facilities. All furniture and design's old and worn. The waiting times in the restaurant are disastrous. And with such poor cleanliness, of course there's vermin everywhere.

The whole place just screams for a total renovation.

On the plus side, breakfast and dinner tastes good (once you're served...)
The staff does a great job, that includes the waiters, the bell boys, the front desk staff and the pool staff. My concerns are the price and the decay of the facilities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelCouple2014

Dear: Sofie_and_fredrik

First I would like to thank you for visiting Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meet your expectations.
I'd also say that our main goal is continuous improvement, and thanks to comments like yours that can make possible. I hope you will give us the opportunity to host you again and feel free to contact me for any comments. direccion@thebelair.com.mx

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The entrance is nice and already gives a peaceful impression. The rooms are spacious but used. My door to the balcony on street side was broken and no longer closing well. Breakfast is generous. Swimming pool is at first sight nice but could be more clean and you have to chose carefully your chair. It was a calm period and i stay just one night so it was nice but would not stay there for long period. In all cases the staff was very very friendly and helpful. It is a little bit away of the party scene and shops but 10 min by bus and close of the airport

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Chrystel40

Dear: Chrystel40

Please let me express my sincere thanks for sharing with us this generous comments about our work and our services, our goal is continuous improvement, and this is possible thanks to comments like yours. There's nothing like knowing that our clients had a great time during your stay with us, please accept my apologies if you had any inconvenience. If there is anything I can do please do not hesitate to contact me, I am at your service.