“First All Inclusive Experience”
Review of Oasis Palm

Oasis Palm
Ranked #75 of 175 Hotels in Cancun
granada hills
“First All Inclusive Experience”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel was clean, but outdated but nice. Staff was very attentive. Good selection of food at the various eateries. Nice family atmosphere....really enjoyed my stay. Would stay here again and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank linda m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Like MANY others, I had read the horrid reviews of this property and had genuine apprehension before arriving. Granted everyone has different experiences and expectations, but I can truthfully say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Oasis Palm.

Before arriving, I had emailed various requests to the hotel. Sandra Sanchez replied almost immediately and offered to do what she could. Upon arrival we were upgraded to an Ocean View room, which was a nice treat. It was always a pleasure pulling back those curtains every morning, seeing the endless beautiful blue water each shade more gorgeous than the next. We were also greeted with a welcome fruit basket and were later presented with a complimentary bottle of tequila. Very nice.

Yes, the resort is somewhat dated when compared to the newer fancier resorts, especially the rooms, but it was immaculately clean, which can not always be said in Mexico. I understand they are in the process of refurbishing the rooms, so that will be a nice improvement. I hope that they install some more modern safes and stop charging by the day for them. This is just chintzy. Maid staff was excellent, and always left extra towels etc. when asked.

Yes it's true, they do not use premium liquor- no Kahlua, in Mexico?, and they put your drinks in cheap plastic cups. And the wine in the restaurants was downright terrible. So what. If you are the sort of person that this would ruin your holiday, prompting comments like this is "the worst resort ever", then no, you should not stay here.

Yes, as with all resorts, some food and restaurants are better than others. On the whole though, I enjoyed the food. There was a different fish dish every day for lunch at Xtabentun Buffet which was always tasty, as was the variety of salads and fresh fruit. The Las Dunas Buffet was open for Dinner & Breakfast, which also had a decent variety of food to chose from. Having a taco stand was neat and the snack bar provided your hamburger/fries options. I also enjoyed the ice cream stand by the pool during the day. The desserts suffered a bit from the "looks can be deceiving" situation, but if you don't like it don't eat it. Dinner at La Bamba was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the squid salad, seafood soup, and octopus in ink. I do have to express genuine surprise over a resort that had no bacon at breakfast. That was a first. Did I need bacon- no. Would I have liked it- oh yes. but it certainly did not ruin my holiday.

As for the staff... Yes it is true, most of the front desk staff are less than helpful, in fact any time you needed to see them for any reason it was as if you were putting them out. One day our key cards stopped working and we were both given the third degree as to why we needed new keys. But the service staff, waiters, busboys, bartenders were truly exceptional. Special mentions to Ernesto and Carlos, who were always ready with an orange juice or coke light without even asking. I did not find any of the staff expected tips, but they certainly appreciated them, and we were happy to do it.

Yes, there was seaweed/seagrass on the beach each morning, which the staff raked up faithfully. As stated the water is not very deep and there aren't any waves to play in, but I had no problem getting wet and enjoyed being able to walk out a ways. And the volleyball net out in the ocean was very cool. The pool was refreshing and clean, and there was never an issue finding a chair, whether in the shade or sun.

The resort has a very mellow vibe, which I liked. It was enjoyable sitting outside La Cantina after dinner, listening to the mariachi band or just people watching in general. There weren't a lot of singles/partying, so the resort was nice and quiet. This made for a perfect restful retreat, which was exactly what I was after.

Overall, I really liked this resort and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing time in simple unpretentious surroundings.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank work2travel
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was my first holiday to Cancun and also my first attempt at All Inclusive. The hotel was quite dated but kept very clean. I did not enjoy the food but the other three members in my party said it was "ok". We found the beach bar staff,and service,including the quick meals (burger and chips) to be great. The staff were great fun and very attentive unlike the staff in the hotel. Restaraunt staff in the hotel were reasonable. We found the beach ok but at that end of the resort it was a little quiet and the water was very shallow so not much excitement. It was ideal for children. The bus ride into Cancun centre was a different experience but we did do it at least five times over the two week holiday. Coco Bongo,s night club in Cancun was the best night out ever and fantastic value for money. We took a ferry ride over to Isla Mujeres were we hired golf carts for the day and this was fantastic. We havent been back yet but we do plan to go again in the future but stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Derek G
Reviewed October 25, 2012

very nice hotel. good food. nice beach. friendly staff. located next to terminal for ferry to isla mujeres, also next to the pirate cruise we highly recommend. if there was a short coming, would recommend a mini fridge in room. otherwise, bed was comfortable, ocean view of isla mujeres and sunsets outstanding. will return, so much to do.....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank rscbox
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2012

First of all let’s get to the good. The food was o.k. .... and that's about it. Now the bad. The beach was always full of seaweed, cigarette butts, garbage etc. The swimming area was ruined by a hurricane a few years back and never really repaired, so the water was chest deep at the most. Our room was very plain. The worst part about this hotel is the staff, every time I walked by the front desk the staff was arguing with someone new. I understand that working there for a while could make a person a little bitter about tourists, but i think their forgetting that the tourists are their main source of income. After going to this resort, I couldn't image why someone would want to go back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank blackace17

Travelers are raving about these Cancun hotels

Martínez, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I was for 3 days in my honeymoon.
The people is not that nice there, the service is no good, and they charge for everything.
Internet 5 dolars for 1 hour, and the worst part.... the security box... they charge extra too.
The food is horrible, made me feel bad.
The alcohol that they provide is low quality
Dont go there.

Room Tip: not a room here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Noelia Soledad D
IN
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights. The worst four nights of my life! Only time I have ever been on vacation and cried! The front desk staff is the absolute worst I have ever encountered (and I have been to 30+ different hotels in Cancun/Riviera Maya. Management was worse (significantly). The food was so terrible. The front desk gave us a king bed and we were 2 adults and 2 children?? Said there was a sofa bed in room. It was actually a small cushion on a ledge that would fit a two year old. I called Expedia to move us, but they said they could not. Until they heard back from hotel. After numerous attempts, said they could not get anything but voicemail. Go figure.
If you booked here, make changes quickly. You will never get out once you check into hotel hell!
Only nice thing I can say is that the waiters tried so hard, but ultimately knew it would end in disappointment!!

Room Tip: Any room outside this hotel. Seriously!!!!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family