“QUAINT Cancun Condo”

Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun
Ranked #23 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We just returned from a really NICE vacation and stay at the FAVC in Cancun. It was booked through our Hilton Grand Vacations timeshare. We stayed in a really nice one bedroom but had to be moved from our first room - DO NOT STAY in rooms 106, 206, or 306. They're RIGHT next to the pipe room and you will hear banging and clanging all day and all night!

The positives: family-style atmosphere, quiet, quaint, beautiful rooms, excellent location in the hotel zone, friendly and extremely helpful staff, beautiful pool, nice palapas on the beach, gym and spa are great, fantastic kids club, very clean, and be sure to take a nice walk along the beach from the hotel. Additionally, there was a waitress taking drink orders on the beach and at the pool (contrary to other reviewers feedback). However, the Bikini Bar is a literal stones throw from the beach and pool (in fact, part of the bar is IN the pool) so if you're not a lazy bones you can take a short walk and place the order yourself!

The "areas in need of improvement": pipes are not insulated so you will hear every flush, shower, faucet above you/next to you; mediocre beach (not much sand and areas to swim but really nice beaches are a short walk); $22 per hour charge for tennis at their sister resort (FA Coral Beach) which is 15 minutes away; $3 per day charge for maid service; expensive restaurant on site (then again, all hotel restaurants are expensive in the hotel zone); HARD SELL at the hotel to buy into its time share (in the a.m. you'll see tours going on all of the time) - Norma, a concierge, will give you an attitude if you turn her down.

Overall, a good place to stay although I don't think I'd go back to Cancun again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
14  Thank maui_pineapple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,331)

Reviewed July 16, 2006

Where was the beach? All I recall was cement steps leading into the water and then some REALLY ROCKY shoreline. Okay, there was sand and some palapas (if you could get one), but no true soft sand-into-water beach. Probably because it was such a small place. Also loud b/c of the water activities & vehicles. I guess on a "beach vacation" I expect more. I'm not much of a pool person - there are pools where I live. For a timeshare resort, I think this place is alright. However, we stayed at the Royal Sands the year prior and I had a much better experience. I guess I like the feel of a bigger resort, or a "secluded" small resort. The poor FMVC was in the shadow of the larger than life grand Riu next door... (they looked like they were having a lot of fun over there) so the Fiesta Americana was not feelin like a small secluded gem. Okay, what's good? The food was decent at the beach restaurant/bar, but there was no service on the beach. It was in a convenient location to access shops and stores. The staff was nice. The pool area, although small, was clean and fairly quiet (although I think it was b/c of the off-season/hurricane). The spa was lovely - had a fabulous massage... they were giving discounts too (off-season again) so that was a bonus. Gym was really nice, although steamy. Also good - we could get as many towels as we wanted, so long as we had them properly signed out. The room was more than adequate, and seemed like all had beach views. Unfortunately, in the small 2-bed room, out electricity in the bathroom never worked. Oh well, who needs a hair dryer in 80% humidity anyway? Overall - average place. But I must say, the regulars here are very loyal and LOVE it.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank kammers1
Reviewed July 1, 2006

we just arrived home from a 6 night stay at FAVC in Cancun. We really enjoyed ourselves and thought the resort was wonderful. We have traveled to several other islands and stayed at many different resorts. For us, this was the best of all worlds ~ lovely beach, nice accomadations ( we had the 2 bedroom-plus) with a gorgeous ocean view, great pool, pleasant & helpful staff plus a great kids club for our youngest. We would highly recommend this resort.
We stayed here through our Hilton time share-they are a parnter with them. It was a easy trip filled with lots of fun. The location couldn't be better and we really enjoyed the resort.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank travelingfam
A TripAdvisor Member
Philly Pa.
Reviewed June 19, 2006

This Hotel will beat you out of every dime you have. Coffee for 2 in the morning $10 U.S. with tip.... you have to tip them or they just keep giving you that look. Add Scrabbled eggs with that $50. Now dinner, $180 with no drinks and I've had Liverworst that tasted better than their Steak. The Pool is very nice and the beach is beautiful until the waiter comes over and sells you 2 Iced Teas for $10 (not with Booze in it, just Iced Tea). The Room has a frige in it but you are not permitted to use it.... it's filled with $4 a can Soda and other high priced items in a non-stop effort to beat you out of every dime you have.

The Escalators were broke just about every day we were there, the Lobby Bar/Lounge was under (loud) construction and our room had a wicker type throw rug on the tiled floor that if you stepped on you had better be wearing a helmet.

I paid $1950 for the room and airfare with Hotwire and by the time I left it costed me $5500 and we don't drink. The next time I need a Vacation like that I'm just gonna beat my face into a parking meter.
Glenn M. in Philly

• Stayed: June 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from a relaxing 5 days at Fiesta Americanna Vacation Club, Cancun. The property is small, compared to the enormous hotels that line the beach boulevard, but we consider its size a plus. It is clean, family oriented (we had no children with us), and very well located. We did not arrange an all inclusive package, nor were we offered one. Instead, we dined out each nite at wonderful restaurants, all within walking distance. Cancun is still in recovery from Wilma, and as such, there were fewer people to compete for restaurant seats. Unlike a previous post, we found the concierge service to be outstanding. Oscar helped us with dining arrangements each evening, and arranged tennis for my husband at the nearby Fiesta Americanna Coral Beach, a hugh, 5 star hotel. True, there is an inital time share pitch, but we never got past the 5 or 10 minutes with our 'representative'. It's a matter of telling them politely and firmly that you are not interested in a time share purchase. We actually thought the unabashed pushiness at the airport - just to get to your cab or limo you have to fend off all the Moon Palace people, who masquerade as vacation advisors, or some such thing- was much worse than the hotel salespeople. In short, if you like an intimate, friendly, low key place, where there are vacationers from all different countries, you will like this place. If you want wet tee shirt contests, and everyone speaking only English, and rows and rows of lounge chairs with sun worshippers, go for the big hotels. PS The Spa is wonderful - and very reasonable. The pool is attractive, and the beach is lovely - small, but plenty of palapas shaded chairs, with food/bar service. The units were adequately equipped, although with a family you'd need more cups, plates, etc than they provide. Big deal, you go to the market and buy paper cups. Enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed: May 2006
10  Thank analee
Reviewed May 11, 2006

Pros:
-Nice swimming pool
-Good beachfront access

Cons:
-Pushy time-share sales pitch
-“All inclusive” food package excludes a lot items on the menu
-Lunch and dinner always served outdoors
-Almost non-existent concierge service

I would not stay there again. The time share pitch is disguised as a “welcome” meeting. Upon realizing that we were being pitched I told the guy we were not interested but he insisted on taking up more of our valuable time. He said he was paying for our breakfast so we should sit and listen to the entire presentation. I explained we already paid for the all inclusive meal package so his “free” breakfast was worthless. Nonetheless, he continued trying to sell to us until we finished eating and left.

While on the topic of the all inclusive meal package, let me say that we were disappointed with it as well. We were told there were three restaurants. The truth is that one is only open for breakfast. Another outdoor restaurant is open for lunch and dinner. And the third was closed the entire time. Eating outdoors for dinner is fine with me but when a storm came through it made for an unpleasant dining experience. Additionally, there were numerous items on the menu that were not included – ice cream, for example incurs an additional $3. That being said, the food that we did eat was OK. One note for parents out there – we spent an evening at the hotel bar drinking with a bunch of 14-16 year old kids from the UK. The bartender certainly didn’t seem to mind how old they were and kept serving them drinks until they were throwing up in the garden. I don’t know what the legal drinking age is in Mexico but parents may want to keep an eye on what their kids get up to.

The hotel has a part-time concierge who is supposed to be there at designated times of the day. Well we showed up at those times but unfortunately he didn’t and we spent way too much time waiting by his desk for him to appear. We finally tracked him down one day and booked some activities. Of course, when we went back a couple of days later to change something, he didn’t show up again.

Lastly, be aware that when you step out of the hotel grounds, you will be preyed upon by all kinds of people trying to sell you something. The area across the street looks somewhat poor and is quite a contrast to the sheltered view from inside the hotel grounds. This is not the hotel’s fault but be aware of it.

All in all, we left quite unimpressed by Cancun in general and with the Fiesta Americana hotel specifically. You end up paying “tourist” prices for food and everything else and in the end it’s no cheaper than US destinations. As far as I am concerned Hawaii wins hands down.

• Stayed: October 2002
10  Thank ozla
Reviewed April 1, 2006

We just got back on March 31st after spending the week. Went with husband, 17 year old and 14 year old(both boys). We absolutely loved the Fiesta Americana Vacation Club. It is not big like the other hotels, and neither is it an AI. We had a partial kitchen so we had breakfast everyday in the room, and dinner on 3 nights. It is right on the Caribbean. We had a room on the 2nd floor with a view of the pool and the ocean. We had a 1 bedroom. The bedroom had a king size bed, and then the living room had a pull out couch. I was impressed with how comfortable the couch was. There were 2 TV's. There was also a jacuzzi tub. They had 1 restaurant on the premises and the food was excellent. Every day they had a lunch of hamburgers or hot dogs for $5 and $4.50 respectively. They also had ice cream everyday for $3. You could exchange American dollars for Pesos right at the front desk. The concierge was extremely helpful, telling us where to catch the bus for wherever we wanted to go. They have a free laundry on the premises(you just need to provide your own detergent which you can buy in the shop at the hotel). The location was excellent also, we could walk everywhere in the hotel zone. There is a grocery store about a 10 minute walk away. Also many restaurants and a shopping center right across the street. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: March 2006