“A colorful, wonderful relief from all the 'big box' hotels”

Fiesta Americana Villas Cancun
Ranked #23 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I first statyed at this Fiesta Americana some thirty years ago and absolutely loved it for its colorful Mexican architecture. Cancun has changed dramatically since then but this hotel, small as it is, has retained its distinctive Mexican decor. My wife and I had some apprehension about making reservations because of the negative comments in the reviews but we had a wonderful time. When we arrived, we got a great room on the third floor but not on the pool side. We got a room pool side the next morning, and although it was on the first floor, we enjoyed the view much more. Both rooms were clean and odor free. The mattresses are firm as others have pointed out but not uncomfortabale.
Having been to Cancun four times now, we were surprised at how few people there were, not only at our hotel but at the larger hotels. (We had breakfast at two other hotels and walked along their almost deserged beaches.) Our pool, not as large as at other hotels, was very clean and adequate. Unlike many years ago, there is no indoor restaurant, but both the drinks and the food, prepared near the pool, were top-notch. One gratuity we really appreciated was getting a card from the concierge for the restaurant, Casa Roncali, located a few minutes away inside the Plaza Caracol. The card entitled us to free drinks, and the Margaritas were as fabulous as the food. We returned the next night with again a card for free drinks. (Try the homemade pasta with shrimp in ginger sauce!)
Extensive renovation of rooms was still progressing, but not in the hallways where guests were located, so there was no noise or bother from the the workers. The staff was quite friendly and gracious. Even though it is a club ownership hotel with only some of its rooms open to reservations, we were never approached or hassled about buying into a plan. For the price, decor, location and gracious service, we don't think this hotel can be beat.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dickydoodenver
Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed December 9, 2009

Stayed through an HGVC timeshare. We had a one bedroom apartment. The rooms were nice and spacious. Very convenient for a family stay. Nice pool and beach. There was a washing machine just down the corridor, and unlike European resorts, this was free.

The rooms were cleaned everyday- also great, though the quality of cleaning while not bad, is not the greatest. No nonsense about towel changes and linen, which is what I hate about vacation timeshares (I re-use towels normally, but I hate hotels which announce an extra charge for the basics).

• Stayed: May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed November 21, 2009

The hotel is showing it's age, but is under renovation. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and professional. The King Size bed was very firm, great for me, but too hard for my wife. They will bring you a pillow top for the mattress if you'd like.
The restaurant was Fantastic. The hamburgers were the best I ever had, huge and Delicious and a meal in themselves.
Great breakfast and lunch/dinner buffets on the weekend.
Bottle of wine for dinner was about $7.
You could take any wine not used, back to your room.
Location is great, and everything else is a shirt bus ride.
I witnessed the renovation, while I was there.
New luxery beds, lamps, flat screen TV's etc.
Best part was the staff, you asked them for something, it was done.
We will be going back in Jan. hopefully renovations will be finished by then.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My parents have Hilton points and share a week with each of their 5 kids once every 5 years. We get to choose the hotel and they set up two units, one for each couple.

We picked the city in February from the HGVC site and Mom booked the trip so I didn't really do much research until right before we left. I had read varying reviews on this site so I wasn't sure what to expect. Do not confuse this hotel with Fiesta Americana Grand Coral or Fiesta Americana Condesa which are also in Cancun. This place is much smaller than either of those hotels.

We were placed in rooms on the first floor after being told that the upper rooms were reserved for Fiesta Americana owners. We went down to room 129 with some trepidation but were pleasantly surprised. The humidity level was high (probably because hurricane Ida had just passed by) but we didn't have the moldy smell that other reviews mentioned. Each room had its own AC unit controlled by separate wall mounted thermostats. The humidity went down after a day or so and the room was more comfortable.

The room was a two room suite with living room/kitchen/dining table on one side and the king size bed and bathroom with Jacuzzi tub on the other. The floors were 16" tiles throughout the suite. The electricity was 110 V with several outlets.

So, room by room, here is my opinion -

Kitchen/Dining

There was a full kitchen with fridge, cook top, dishwasher and microwave. There were two chairs for the breakfast bar and four more for the dining table. Plenty of dishes, pots and pans for anything except baking a cake. Coffee and a pack of creamer, stir sticks etc was provided every day for use with the small coffeemaker. They offered 2 large bottles of water for $25 pesos (13 pesos to the US dollar as of this writing) and those were replaced when we drank one.

Living Room

There was a small hide-a-bed and two other chairs around the square coffee table. The TV was not a flat screen and had about 60 channels of cable (but only a few of those in English). We brought a few DVDs and the player worked great. There was a sliding door that opened out on to the pool. It had a small patio with one plastic chair and plastic table.

Bedroom

The king size bed was pretty firm but beats a matress that folds like a taco. We asked for a couple of extra pillows which were promptly delivered and then we found another four in the closets. (The wife was in pillow heaven.) TV in the bedroom was the same as the living room but no DVD player. This room also had a sliding glass door that opened out to the pool area with two plastic lawn chairs.

Bathroom

The tub was a large Jacuzzi brand tub. The water pressure is low but the tub filled in about 30 minutes. Switching to the shower head gave us all the water pressure we wanted. We brushed our teeth and drank the tap water with no ill effects. There was a separate area for the sink and a toilet in a small closet.

Pool area/beach

The pool was colder than we expected. About 75 deg. F was our guess. The public jacuzzi held 8 people but was closed from 8 PM to 7 AM and from 1 PM to 3 PM for cleaning. We went by several times but it was always full of six year olds. We found out why there was no restriction on children using it later. It never got hotter than about 85 deg. F. The brick walk way around the pool had several cracks and had been repaired but with little effort to disguise those repairs.

The small beach had a sea wall and concrete steps down to the water. There were lots of lounge chairs for sunning or you could sit under one of the plentiful palapa's if you wanted to stay in the shade. Vendors walking buy selling trinkets meant you didn't want a seat in the front row. Each palapa had an orange flag on stick that you unfurled to call the wait staff. The waiter from the restaurant did come by promptly to take a drink or food order but didn't bug us otherwise.

Overall, this "Hilton partner" was at the lower end of the scale as Hilton properties go. However, for a place in Mexico, it wasn't too bad. I would say 3 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank joe90242
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I really had high hopes for this hotel. Actually, this was our second stay. The first time (last year) was a very pleasant experience. Yes, the hotel is a little older and the beds are hard, but for the price we paid for the room and the location, we figured it was worth it to stay again....well, how things have changed in one year.

DO NOT BE FOOLED....this is NOT a hotel...it is a timeshare property. If you are a paying customer, you will NOT be treated with the same courtesy as if you were a member of the Hilton Timeshare Partners. This is the reason why I say this:

We checked in Thursday evening....and from the get-go our experience was anything but good with the people at the front desk. They weren’t rude, but they could care less that we were there to check into the hotel. When the lady (VENUS is her name)at the front desk told me my room would be somewhere on the first floor, I kindly asked to be moved up to at least on the second floor. I wasn’t asking for an upgrade or anything as such...just to be moved up to a higher floor. Her response was: "No! The 4th and 5th floors are under construction, and the 3rd floor is for members only." Geez, thanks for sugar-coating it, right? Well anyways, I offered to PAY for a better room (again, not asking for handouts. I understand the hotel needs to make money and I am just being fair), and got a response just as dry while handing me my room keys and saying: "This is all I have".

I figured, ok, well, lets at least take a look at it. My wife and I go to the room and it was awful. It smelled like the room had been leaking water for the past 10 years. The humidity of the room was unbearable. Even the bellboy noticed it as he walked in. It was soo bad that, even without asking him to, he called the front desk to ask for us to be moved to another room. Fine, we go back to the lobby and they give us a room on the 2nd floor. We open the door, and there is already somebody staying there. The guy was sitting on the bed watching TV. How embarrassing. We then go BACK to the lobby, explain the situation, and ask to speak to the manager. Well, the manager wasn’t around (go figure) and the person that was left in charge was some kid that didn’t care either. (His name is EDDIE by the way)

Long story short they sent us to another room on the 2nd floor that was just as bad as the 1st room. We ended up staying in a room on the 3rd floor. (Hmmm, I thought 3rd floor was exclusively for members). The room was ok...good enough to sleep in. It was late, we hadn’t eaten and it would do for the time being. The next morning I asked to speak to the manager....wow, what a difference a person with some authority makes. He was very sorry for the problems that we went through and made arrangements to move us to their 2 bedroom suite on the 4th floor....hmmm, I thought VENUS and EDDIE had said that the entire 4th and 5th floors were closed for remolding.

Anyways, Wow...what a fantastic room. It has a balcony the entire width of the unit, direct ocean view, Jacuzzi, a full kitchen, living room, and sitting area. Looked too good to be true....well low and behold it was....even in their BEST room, the master toilet didn’t flush, the hot water was warm (at best), the bedroom lights didn’t work, the refrigerator never cooled, the Jacuzzi LITERALLY took an hour to fill up, and the balcony lights never turned on.

All in all, I'm sure that in "its" day, the hotel was very charming. But now, it is just too run down to even consider staying at again. Everyone other than VENUS and EDDIE were very courteous, but that doesn’t make up for the malfunctions that the hotel has. (We went through FIVE different hotel rooms in one weekend) They are in the middle of upgrading its appearance in some of the rooms....but what I think this hotel needs is to be torn down and rebuilt to impress me again.

1  Thank Lightgomez123
Reviewed October 8, 2009

After reading some of the other reviews, I was not quite sure what to expect. The reviews seem to be all over the place. Here is my honest evaluation.

We checked in around 1:30pm on Thursday, October 1. Our first impression was very good. The place was smaller than some of the mamoth hotels that crowd out the beaches of Cancun. We really liked the decor as it was more authentic than some of the other resorts. The lobby was clean with plenty of staff eager to assist and the garden area was nice and well maintained. After our quick "tour" of the grounds we were escorted to our room.

Our room was on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool and the beach. We had a one bedroom. The living area was nice and roomy with a small kitchenette. The bathroom was quite large and the bedroom itself was large. The balconies off the living area and the bedroom were both small. Unlike others have said, my wife and I could both sit out there, but there wasn't any lounging area. Then again, the room, the pool and the beach were where we did our lounging. The gardens have apparently grown since the hotel was built as many of the trees reached to the 3rd floor or higher. As such, I am not sure how good the view would have been on the 2nd floor. It was clear to me that the higher you were the better your view. They are in the process of renovating the upper floors so we looked inside some on the top floor. VERY NICE. And, the 3 bedroom suite at both ends are terrific. Our bed was very firm. i expected to not be able to sleep as it was so hard. But, it was not a problem. Perhaps I actually like a firm mattress.

The beach was, as others have stated, quite small. However, there were plenty of lounge chairs available. The beach was big enough to more than accomodate the people there during our stay. And, the hotels on either side had larger beaches if one wanted to wander off in either direction. As this is a smaller hotel, I assume that it would accomodate their customers regardless of season. For us, sitting on a lounge chair looking at the blue Carribbean waters it was more than just good enough.

The pool was clean and the water temperature was great. It wasn't huge, but it was big enough for the resort. I liked the way it encircled the place creating an island in the middle. Inside the island was the jacuzzi and a sitting area. The jacuzzi did not work the first night we got there so we never tried again. I did, however, see some people in it a few days later. Again, one jacuzzi for the resort. The pool had one swim up bar. If the place was real crowded you would probably be served just as quickly by using one of the many wait staff walking around.

We ate in our rooms and therefore did not use the restaurant. The menu prices looked to be similar to any other resort. As for food in the rooms. After the second day, we did notice numerous small black sugar ants milling about. But, we're in the tropics and this is not unusual. We simply moved all of our dry goods into the fridge and we were fine. There were plenty of cooking utensils including a coffee pot, toaster, and even a blender.

We were well within walking distance to the area nightlife. In fact, all the places advertised on the beach were within a ten minute walk. Most of the big American restaurants would take a bus or a cab to get to (Jimmy Buffet's, The Outback, Bubba Gumps). There are plenty of other restaurants available including a real good hole in the wall across the street. There is a mall within walking distance between the resort and the cub area. Lots of stores and perhaps a restaurant or two.

All in all, we had a great time and will go back. the price is good and the location is fantastic. The staff took care of everything and we were able to relax and do NOTHING!

Reviewed October 5, 2009

I guess this hotel is associated with Hilton, but you would never know it. The suites are big and the balcony is a good size, but it is very old and in need of pest control (we had ants everywhere). The electronic safe in our room was broken along with the blender, both needed to be replaced, the water would only get warm at best (never hot). The hotel decides to add in several charges without your consent including a fee for the maid to wash your dishes, a donation to an organization and any local phone calls that you make. The shuttle from the hotel told us that they would charge my wife and I 150 pesos TOTAL to take us to the airport and insisted on 300 pesos when we arrived. Also the "gym" was very limited, a couple of tredmills and dumbells only going up to 50lbs. I would never stay here again, and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

1  Thank autorennen