“A Little Piece of the States in MX”

La Isla Shopping Village
Ranked #6 of 152 things to do in Cancun
New York City, New York
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A Little Piece of the States in MX”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at Live Aqua in October '12. Right across on the lagoon side is a pretty good sized mall with anchor stores and all. We thought it might be a cheezy -- it wasnt. Its a great mix of stores you would find in the malls in the states, little souvenir shops and high end stores. There was also a good mix of food including a food Mexican restaurants that we enjoyed.

Would we have gone here if we were a buss ride or taxi ride away, probably not. But it was a great way to spend a few hours on a cloudy day.

Visited October 2012

• Turkish first
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Beautiful place, but not the best shopping sport ever.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

In Mexico, this might be one of the best shopping malls around the country. But I've gone shopping to the US lots of times and this place is nothing compared to the US malls.
I do have to say that this is a VERY beautiful place, you have an awesome view to the lagoon, an aquarium, fountains and a fair amount of restaurants, but regarding the shopping experience...it's just "meh".

Marshall, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Good shopping”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

NIce outdoor mall if you want to avoid the flea markets. THey have many regular type stores and also the mexican tourist souvier / tshirt type store to buy stuff to take home. Many high end stores too!

1 Thank TwoNewlyWeds
on vacation
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 184 helpful votes
“Perfect for tourists seeking some recognizable names”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stay quite often at Westin Lagunamar, and love that it's across from La Isla Mall. If you want souvenirs, they have excellent stores, some are 2 stories, with just souvenirs. I wait until the night before I leave and cross the street to find that excellent Mexican vanilla that all my friends and family ask for. I found the preferred brand among my friends (Xel-ha) and now I know where to go and what to expect for prices.

If you want to bring your family quality clothing or specialties, I highly recommend the mall. After numerous trips worth of bringing my son tshirts purchased by vendors at the hotel I was tired of the shrinkage & fading. I found some good tshirts at the same price at the large souvenir shop towards the back of the mall, and now he has Cancun tshirts, sweatshirts and hats. They also offer beachwear and rafts, glasses, anything you need for the beach, for more reasonable prices than the hotels. It's worth a trip just to see all the things Mexico exports, from tons of chocolate to vanilla for cooking.

There are some high end stores like Coach, and smaller drugstore/grocery stores. If you're staying in one of Westin's suites, you've got an entire kitchen at your disposal. I grabbed some bread, some peanut butter, juice, water, soda, etc. I only had to call room service once and lived on beachside quesadillas and peanut butter toast.

One place I recommend highly is the Crepe Hut, as I call it. I THINK it is called Crepe- that's the name on all the signage. Much like European restaurants (I especially love Amsterdam crepes!) this booth sells both savory and sweet crepes. My favorite is the caramel, or dulce de leche, crepe. The service is friendly, especially if you TRY to use some Spanish words such as por favor and gracias. I had lemonade and a caramel crepe for my last dinner there and I LOVED it.

There is a Mc Donald's is you have kids or want a familiar snack, a Starbucks, and a Johnny Rockets where I have had many a good meal. The restaurants here are very good. One trip we ate at the Chocolate restaurant, and another trip it was a lovely and reasonable Italian place. There's so much to do and see over here, and luckily I stay at Westin Lagunamar all the time now that Le Meridien is closed, so I'm just across the street and no taxi or bus is needed.

It's also a lovely place to watch the sun set. There's even a movie theater and a variety of shops to keep everyone busy. One of the biggest reasons I stay at Westin Lagunamar is the access to La Isla. I can get my supplies, go over for a cheaper dinner, and then stock up on gifts for home.

Definitely a must-see for tourists with enough time to shop!

3 Thank thaliajen
Lincoln, Nebraska
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Best Shopping”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is the best mall in the Hotel Zone, it is a place you can shop and not be oversold by the locals. For flea market and bargain hunting visit Mercado 28 however this mall is great for casual shopping.

3 Thank KevinBromagen