“Gorgeous Hotel-Horrible Service!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Macomb, Michigan
“Gorgeous Hotel-Horrible Service!”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

First off, my wife and I have traveled to Mexico extensively and know what to expect in Mexican resorts. We have used Tripadvisor religiously to make travel plans around the world and have rarely been anything but thrilled, until now. Live Aqua is very pretty to look at: a modern, glass resort that certainly looks 5-star on the surface. But it's all show and no go. Housekeeping is a disaster! Every day, and I mean EVERY day, they would forget to replace towels, soap, water, etc. We would be out of the room on many days until 4:30pm and find the room still untouched. At evening turn-down, many guests were furious because they were still knocking on doors to do turndown at 9:30pm. Pool service was abysmal; taking easily an hour to get something to eat or drink. They claim bar service starts at 10am at the pool. That's when they start their meeting - it's usually 11 or 11:30am before they start service. If you attempt to go to the bar on your own, you will wait 20 min. as the pool waiters take preference. As for food, we thought it was pretty good, though despite usually opening the doors to the restaurant on time, it takes them an easy hour to get food out and service going at the buffet. Good luck getting reservations at MB. It will take several days to get a reservation. When you do finally get one, you will be easily waiting 2-3 hours to complete your meal. If you are used to buffets in MX resorts and have Olive Garden tastes, you'll like it. Otherwise, while the food is tasty, you will get bored quickly and there is certainly nothing exquisite about the cuisine. There simply aren't enough options nor service people to handle all of the guests and you will likely eat off property a lot. They only seem top allow 6-10 tables per seating for resort guests at MB, the rest appear to be for walk-ins. We took the time to politely speak with Alma, a supervisor at the front desk, but she mainly made excuses and nothing really changed after speaking to her - including forgetting my wife's birthday, which I had e-mailed and planned in advance. I tried three times to speak with the customer service manager, but he was always "in a meeting." In the end, Aqua won't ruin your vacation, but there are many other places for the same money that are far superior. Live Aqua is not ready for prime time. P.S. We tipped often and well - they'll gladly take your money but service will not improve. Don't bother. The whole invoicing for every service (versus an all-inclusive bracelet) is probably the biggest mistake. It eats into the service time and infuriates the guests. You'll see bills for a $90 breakfast buffet for 2 in hopes of getting a tip for that amount. Even if you get a bowl of fruit, you get an insanely high bill to sign, which you don't pay, but is very tacky. The spa was very expensive and the massages were weak. Nothing about this place is anything beyond mediocre.

3 Thank ecodude2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,616)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Remsen, Iowa
Reviewed February 20, 2011

my husband and I just returned from a week at Aqua. I spent several weeks prior to our trip doing research on TripAdvisor and found it extremely beneficial to our stay. Before you take off you MUST contact the concierge to book your dinner reservations as there are only 2 nice restaurants on the property. This was done very efficiently for us and other than the fact that the times were a bit off we did have reservations for every night. We were pleasantly surprised at the complimentary upgrade we received upon check-in. I guess sometimes it just pays to be nice! We had access to the 5th floor lounge and that is a true resort experience! Tons of top shelf tequila in a very relaxing atmosphere with waiters at your beck and call! The perfect spot to unwind late in the afternoon after soaking up the sun, or as a night-cap on the way to your room. Our room was on the end so we had a wonderful terrace overlooking the ocean and sunrises and to the side was the lagoon and the sunsets. Absolutely a perfect location! I took advantage of a spa day and spent literally 3 hours soaking in tubs, steaming in rooms, relaxing with flavored concoctions and finally enjoying a fabulous "sensations" massage. The only drawback to the resort is the fact that they do not have enough staff to accomondate everyone at the buffet Seite, or bring you the cocktails you want around the pool. I did complain to the concierge after the first day poolside and the next day they literally brought trays of blended drinks around the entire time even if you hadn't asked for one! We enjoyed our meals at Azur and MB, but they could use a few more things on the menu at both places, especially if you plan on spending a week there. Room service is a wonderful option as well, we had mimosas on the terrace and tons of food for breakfast at sunrise. They truly try to full-fill your every wish, they just need more staff to do it. We are loyal Riu Palace clients and would most definitely recommend this place if you want something smaller and more laid back. We did, most certainly, have a wonderful time!

2 Thank kcolling75
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2011

From the moment we entered the lobby, the surroundings were beautiful. The rollover fountains were a great touch and added to the serenity of the resort. The Concierge (young Hungarian woman) was most helpful and we had access to our room within 15 minutes. The room was lovely and what really empressed me were the luscious grounds. There were flowers and palm trees "All over". The cleaniness was impecable. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The location can't be beat, as there is a outdoor luxury shopping mall (La Isla) directly across (No need for local travel). The Mexican gift shops were reasonably priced and any gift you purchased was wrapped well to avoid breakage (a nice touch). As with any thing, there were several issues (not major) which would be benificial, that I would like to point out.
1). The aroma scent throughout the Hotel smelled medicimal or something close to cat urine!! They should choose something less fragrant.

2). MB Restaurant - This highly OVERRATED restaurant was just that! The odd choices of food, nearly two hour wait and still no entree, had us disgruntled and hungry. We left and ate at Siete in a matter of minutes. This NYC style restaurant would never make it in the BIG APPLE!

3). Azur restaurant had a beautiful atmosophere and the food was good. However, a more diverse menu selection would make it even better.

4). The swimming pools and beach were awesome and the three amazon parrots that are perched at the entrance to the pool area added to the ambiance of the resort. service at poolside was excellent (have your lunch there while sipping a Margarita!!).

5). If you decide to book a massage, ask for the hidden "outdoor" jungle area which is located on the left (before the bird perch) as you walk down to the pool. It is totally private and relaxing.

6). Overall, the resort was wonderful and we would reccommend it as well as vacation there again. Hopefully, very soon.

Morton, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2011

The food was to die for at the 3 different restaurants, not to mention 24-7 room service which we utilized three times. The foo foo drinks were delicious, as well as the Mexican brews. At mb restaurant, my wife was treated to a specially prepared birthday cake, which was a nice touch and a bit of a surprise. The service was outstanding with the exception of poolside on a couple different days. The day we had Carlos taking care of us poolside was an outstanding service day, because he had new Miami Vices out to us before we finished the ones we were drinking. Our 5th floor Aqua Club room had an incredible view from the balcony. The spa treatments we received and aromas that always filled the air are sensory experiences I will never forget.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I am usually not complainer or a high-maintenance person. If a resort is clean, the food doesn't get me sick, and service is average (meaning, Days Inn/Holiday Inn in US standard), I am a happy camper who tips generously. This resort, however, no matter how I look at it, was a huge disappointment (it certainly does not merit anything above a 3-star), and I say without even a little bit of exaggeration - the services at the resort totally ruined my five short days of vacation in Cancun. Looking back, I wish I had booked a room elsewhere even if I had to pay more or didn't get an all-inclusive package.

Also, if you like the commercialized, boutique-shopping environment, this place is for you. If you travel to experience the culture, the local food, this is a place to avoid.

In any event, I'll try to be as objective as I can on this review. I'll start with the bad, as some of these may be bad enough for you to not even bother with this resort. The bad aspects I note here can be easily fixed by the hotel and if they do, no doubt it deserves 4-/5- stars, but as it stands now, they are bad enough to make me never use any Fiesta Americana hotels Cancun or elsewhere.

(1) The check-in was a NIGHTMARE and the lobby service was awful.

I'm not exaggerating here and, if you read through other reviews here, you'll notice that this a common complaint among many reviewers. When my husband and I arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a bellboy who asked my husband for his last name repeatedly but didn't bother assisting us with our bags. I thought, 'EH. It just a couple of luggage; maybe he's assisting someone else. It's not a bid deal.' So we went inside to check in - except we didn't get checked in for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

During this time, we weren't offered any assistance except by another bellboy who noticed us waiting and offered to bring us something to drink (thank you!). As we waited and waited, we had 6 different people who approached, asked my husband for his last name, and said, "Okay, I'll be back," and never returned. After waiting literally 40 minutes with no one assisting, we finally got a hold of a woman with a short hair who appeared to be a manager. When my husband expressed mild frustration (my husband is a really nice guy so he was being pleasant about thisl) to this woman, she asked, "Oh, you have not been helped?" and asked for my husband's last name, and left, supposedly to do something about it. Well, she didn't return for another 15 minutes, and when she returned, she had nothing to say other than some random, lame compliment on my boots and my "American accent." I wasn't in a mood for that but I smiled and asked her about our room. She left us again and never came back. Twenty minutes later, a guy came to us said the only room available was a room with two queen-sized beds. Okay, I'll take it.

One warning to those of you who booked and received a $200 resort credit: Print the confirmation out or they'll tell you you don't have it. I was supposed to get one which I wanted to use to upgrade and use toward spa treatments but I could not get it because the credit was "not on their system" and, even if it were, I didn't have a print-out confirmation. I was really pissed off but, at that point, I just wanted to go to my room and put my stuff down and relax.

(2) The pool side service was virtually non-existent and everyone had a different response when we requested to reserve a cabana.

We read the reviews here before we left so we called to reserve a cabana a night before we were headed to the pool. I called the operator and the operator said that I'd have to call the Concierge in the morning but she'll put him through. When she connected me to the Concierge, he told me that the cabana cannot be reserved because it's "first-come, first-served." So, my husband and I got up early next morning to reserve a cabana. Well, every single cabana had a "reserved" sign on, so I went to ask a young woman handing out towels how we can get one. I don't know if she was "allowed" to be so honest, but she kindly told me, "You can only reserve a cabana if you are in a suite ... or you have to pay $90 for one time use." I appreciated her honesty and assistance finding beach loungers for us so we tipped her well but I was so pissed that no one bothered to tell us this before when we called to reserve. Honestly, I could have paid $90 to rent a darn cabana but I was so pissed off at this point, I didn't want to give another dime to this place, so my husband and I stuck with loungers with no shade for the rest of the morning/afternoon.

As for pool side drinks/food, don't expect anything. NO ONE comes to you, seriously, for about an hour, if not more. We met other couples in the hot tub who asked, "Did you have to get those drinks? No one's come to us since we've gotten here." We got our first drinks only because my husband and I walked up to the bar and waited in the line for 25 minutes while one bartender feverishly tried to prepare drinks for however many people out in the pool area. It was ridiculous. To make things worse, the bartender was visibly annoyed when we requested our drinks. I'm sure he wasn't happy preparing drinks for all the people by himself but that's not my fault and I certainly don't expect a bartender from a 4-/5- star resort to act like that, yelling at us in Spanish and setting the drinks so hard on the bar that they almost got knocked off. Anyways, we were happy to get out drinks.

After a couple of hours, we wanted to order some food and tried to get the attention of a few server - in complete vain. I don't know how many servers were around but they were busy catering to people in the cabanas or people they've already served. I have no clue why. I even wondered if I had a sign that said, "Please do not serve me anything," but after several conversations in the hot tub, I realized that it was not just me and my husband but many other couples who were frustrated like us. Believe me, none of us were seriously high maintenance - we just wanted a drink or someone to take our food order.

We finally got our order with the help of the young lady who told us about the "real" policy behind reserving the cabanas. She talked to one of the servers and had him put an order for us. He got our order wrong and brought back two cold dishes but, at that point, we were so hungry that we were thankful to have something to eat. We tipped the server generously, thinking that perhaps that would encourage better service. It did get better eventually, as we got our drinks refilled twice over the next the course of 3 hours, but it certainly was not great service by any means.

(3) Something shady with reserving dinner at MB Restaurant ...

After reviewing tons of review here, we decided to make our reservation for dinner at MB as soon as we arrived. We asked the bell boy how we can make a reservation with the MB Restaurant, as there is NOTHING in the room that tells you what the direct number is to the restaurant (no directory, nothing). He told us to call the operator or the concierge so we did. As soon as we called and requested a reservation with MB, the operator told us that there was nothing available until 10 p.m. on the eve of our departure. We asked if there was anything earlier and was told no, so we said okay to 10 p.m. dinner. After that, I don't know what exactly the operator was trying to do but we were put on hold and then the phone started ringing. We thought, 'Okay, maybe we are being connected to the restaurant." Well, no on on the other line answered, EVER. We even called the concierge for a direct line to the Restaurant and called the number but no one ever picked up, EVER. Strange .... Okay, maybe tomorrow. The next day, same thing all over again so we stayed on the phone for gosh, 15 minutes or more (just had the phone on the speaker mode). Someone finally picked up and said the same thing, 10 p.m., the night before. My husband asked if there was anything earlier and the guy said, "Uhm. Sure. I have 8:30." BINGO.

(4) Service at the MB Restaurant was very disappointing. And you won't get seated for at least an hour after your reservation.

If Michelle Bernstein really has anything to do with the operation of this business (which she doesn't), this restaurant would not be running like this. It's absolutely awful to the point where I can say that I've been treated better at an Applebee's in my neighborhood. Our reservation was at 8:30 but we did not get seated until 9:45. There were 4 or 5 other couples waiting to be seated, some of whom had been waiting longer than us. Many of them went up to the hostess, some in obvious frustration. One of the couples actually left, vowing never to come back to the hotel again. Well, we were just happy to get a 8:30 spot so we patiently waited ... waited .... and waited.

Finally, when our time came, the hostess led us in. Uhm, SURPRISE! There must have been at least 4 empty table inside and additional 3 or 4 on the outside patio. We were totally confused as to why 3-4 couples had to wait outside (or why we had to wait this long). In any event, the hostess took us to the outside patio. It was quite breezy and I was not feeling too well so, not too long after we sat down, my husband requested to be seated inside. The waiter said he'd have to ask the hostess, as there were "no tables," though there were empty tables inside right across from us. He then ignored our request and proceeded to clean a table across from us and reset the place setting for another table. 15 minutes later, he came back and said, there were no empty tables. At this point, we were so tired and hungry that we just wanted to eat and go back to our room. So we ate, brazing the strong breeze and mosquito bites all over our legs.

The food was definitely better than your usual resort food and I'd not complain but for the ridiculously long wait even with reservation and the lack of good service. Still, I'd not consider the food excellent by any means, especially for a restaurant with Michelle Bernstein's named stamped on it. In fact, as a foodie who doesn't mind splurging when it comes to good food, e.g., Daniel in NYC, to name one, I couldn't believe Michelle Bernstein would allow this kind of restaurant to put her name on it. Dining is not just about good food. When you have terrible service, the overall dining experience suffers, and that's exactly what happened when my husband and I visited MB.

The only thing I'd say I truly enjoyed about MB was the desserts we ordered.

By the way, we overheard a couple next to our table tell another couple that their parents who had stayed at the hotel the week before them had made reservation for them. How did they do that without a room number? I don't know. All I can say is that this place is just full of arbitrariness and unspoken considerations, etc.

(5) The concierge is useless so if you want any information or help scheduling a tour or excursion, go to Westin's Visitor's Center, a block up from hotel, where the bus stop is.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel to the day we left, NO ONE asked us if we needed help with anything or information on any excursions. When we asked, the person who handles them was not available. We waited, waited, and waited, but no one came. Instead, a young lady named Cecilia tried to help us. I don't think she was even a concierge person but she gave us a map and helped me schedule a spa session (even though the spa people told me there wasn't anything available that day). Unfortunately, Cecilia did not have information on tours, excursions, and suggested that we visit The Isla Mall, which was located conveniently across from the resort.

On the way to the Mall, my husband and I discovered Westin's Visitor Center. Westin is right next to Live Aqua. We went in, hoping to grab a few brochures but ended up getting really helpful information and tips from one gentleman who works there. He knew we weren't staying at Westin but he spent time explaining different excursions, giving us recommendation on what he thought would be the best way to spend the short amount of time we had in Cancun. He did talk to us briefly about timeshare at Westin and that we could obtain discount by attending it but he never pressed us and, once we told him we were not interested, he didn't bother us about it.

Strange but I got more help from someone at another hotel. I guess that's what makes Westin, Westin, not Live Aqua.

(6) The place is not sound proofed AT ALL. You can hear a coin drop in the next room, seriously and people talking at the end of the hallway.

If you have children who are light sleepers or you are light a sleeper, I would advise you against this hotel. You can hear EVERYTHING in the either side of your room and in the hallways. Thank God, I can sleep well no matter how loud but my husband had a tough time adjusting to it.

(7) The beach is beautiful and, for the most part, clean, but the waves are strong compared to other areas in Cancun.

So, if you want to enjoy calm waters or have children, I'd avoid this resort. An American who grew up in Cancun that my husband and I met during our travel suggested El Presidente (sp?) Hotel and another hotel near there for truly calm water where you can relax.

The Good, finally:

(1) Cleanliness

The housekeeping did a fabulous job cleaning my room everyday. I think it helped that my husband left a generous tip everyday before we left the room but, regardless, the housekeeping crew deserves recognition for the job well-done, not only in my room, but in the common areas.

(2) Good water pressure

The water pressure in the room was excellent. I only put this here because, having traveled to the Pacific Islands and other part of Mexico, I can honestly say that, when you're at a 4- or 5-start resort, a shabby water pressure at the end of a long/hot/sweaty day can ruin the day. This hotel did not disappoint here.

Be ware though: The shower area is not built well so the water will leak if you do not point the shower head in the "right direction." On the first day, I came out of the shower with the floor almost flooded with water.

(3) Well-stocked mini-bar

Except for the day before our return, it was stocked everyday with 2 bottles of water, 2 bottles of juice, some variation of soda/sparking mineral water, and beer (Corona and a cheaper Mexican brand). The room was also stocked with snacks, including chips, chocolates, peanuts, and granola bars - which were great use when we went on outdoor excursions.

(4) Spa facilities, including gym, and different massages provided by therapists

The therapists my husband and I had were absolutely wonderful. They were professional and we were able to communicate clearly what we wanted in our deep tissue couple's massage session without any trouble. The massages were great and the aromatherapy was a huge plus (but some of you who don't like strong scent might want to communicate that upfront). The services provided at the front desk of the spa, on the other hand, and the women who are supposed to assist you as you get ready for your massage, were not so good. First, they are not friendly and scope you up and down. Also, if they tell you that they do not have a slot available, go to the lobby and ask Cecilia to book a slot for you. That's how I got a slot 10 minutes after the women told me that they were booked for the day.

3 Thank acantavit
chattanooga, tn
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Just returned from Aqua & I'm a resort snob and hard to please so here are some tips to help you max. your trip to Aqua.
Take plenty of $1 before you leave US-hard to get change in Cancun. Resort is GORGEOUS & spotless,contemporary & chic, luxorty spa, AWESOME infinity pools,aromatherapy in the rooms are wonderful-so much so I bought one & had it shipped home. Cocktails are prem. liquor and they make them strong-very nice. Rooms-all are balcony and have AWESOME views--If I return I will get a suite.

THE NEGATIVES: THE FOOD...WELL IT'S MEXICO & AND ALL INCLUSIVE DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH IT'S BETTER THAN MOST ALL INCL. BUT you will not get a nice juicy filet like you would at Ruth Chris. Eggs benadict...well its a poached egg with american cheese no hollandise sauce. The MB restaurant is very much over rated so don't freak out if you don't get to eat there and just because you have dinner reservations doesnt mean you will get dinner. We talked with many guest who had reservations and by 11:00 still had not been seated, we did have dinner at MB and the presentation of the food was gorgeous but the taste was horrible. (24 hr room service was really nice)

Cabana beach/pool beds...so worth the money HOWEVER..they are reserved for guest with suites BUT if by 12:00 the beds are vacant they will rent them to you for $80 this is very screwy but they are worth the money. Check in is just weird, it's as if you are at the dr's office and seated in a waiting area it took forever but the staff was friendly as they past you from one to the other. In room mini should have been stocked with liquor it only had the cheap beer. Club/bar was nice but if you are looking for hard core party/dance you will need to go downtown. Shopping mall is across the street-Chanel,Cartier,Dolce Cab. very high end prices were higher there than in the States. I would return to this resort !

2 Thank boatergirl1
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I want to start off by saying that if you check my travel résumé I have stayed at many Sandals resorts, and both The Royal Cancun and Royal Playa Del Carmen. Can I say that hands down those resorts were better? No. The Royal chains were nicer in some ways, but if you look the price is much higher. I can't really say that it is worth that extra amount. I read the complaints with this resort and I kind of laugh, because we met some of those complainers and they were very "high maintenance" people. I think some people; and I'm sure you know a few; just like to complain. This resort is nice and we loved it and had a great time. I was scared when we walked into the resort and everything was Zen, but I quickly found the Adult Section by the pool bar and started talking with people and drinking. If you wanted quiet there were many places to escape to by the main pool that were peaceful. There weren't any activities but plenty of friendly people to talk to and it makes for a great day of drinking and socializing. That is what I loved about this resort; you party and socialize or relax. If you want a place to lay down by the pool bar you have to get up early and put stuff down. This is the same wherever we went; the great places to sit went fast. Not much to do for kids, so if you bring them be prepared to be with them 24/7. The beach was nice and of course the water in Cancun makes you want to jump in. There are plenty of seats on the beach. This resort was immaculate from top to bottom. There was always someone cleaning somewhere. If someone had "accident" by the time you walked by again it was gone.
Food was good and healthy. Their beef was fabulous; so try the skirt steak you can literally eat it with a fork. The hamburgers were Kolbe Beef MMMMMMMMMM! There was Sushi for breakfast if you like. I must admit I'm not a fussy eater but there was plenty to choose from. My only honest complaint was at the Azur the menu doesn't change, but at the Siete there was always something new. The service was always great and if you tip they bend over backwards for you. There wasn't a big selection; that is true, but what they had was top notch. The MB was nice for a fancy meal, but be prepared to sit there for 2 hours. No worries; the seats at the MB are really comfortable, and bring a fun group to make the time fly. The food was comparable to the other resorts we stayed in. There is a night club called Egos that was OK for a nightcap but not much going on. If you want you can always go out on the town and spend hundreds of dollars to dance the night away (seriously). We usually drank during the day so you were in bed by 11:00, so Egos was great for us.
We felt the Aqua Club is worth the extra money. Mario and David were great. If you eat light you can just eat there, or have a drink using their premier alcohol selections. There were even two people sleeping up there on the sofa; it is that relaxing. I also saw many people chatting about this and that. GIVE MARIO A RAISE; THAT GUY IS AWESOME! Mario; that was from Mr. Mark. I heard some people complain about the tipping, but in every place even Sandals; where you're not supposed to tip people do and get better service. You don't have to tip a lot just a couple of bucks. I was a bartender in my early years and tips talk whether you're in America or Mexico.
Seriously this was a good resort and well worth every penny. Many of the people I met were afraid the price would go up next year and they would be able to afford to come back. That is how nice it is!

2 Thank MHCSINGER