“Sublime & Precious Vacation”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 4, 2005

The Aqua is absolutely gorgeous and the service is outstanding!!!!

We just got back from Cancun a week ago and would go back to Aqua in a heart-beat....

The "Director of Operations", Alberto Estrpeaut makes you feel like you are staying with a best friend....and Lerins, (? spl) the manager of the Azur restaurant by the pool, is a classy respectful guy with alot of personality.....

The two other restautants, particularly MB, are also wonderful!!!!!!

"Cudos" to the whole operation & especially the great staff!!!!!!!!!

As you can see we loved it!!!!

Bryan Pennett

16  Thank BPennett
Write a ReviewReviews (9,444)

Reviewed July 4, 2005

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the FA Grand Aqua, and it was truly lovely. From the moment we checked in (and got the cool towels and tea), we felt relaxed and pampered. The aromatherapy soothed the senses, the view from our balcony was breathtaking, and the service/rooms/common areas were beautiful.

Even tho our room was just the "standard" king, it was exquisite . . . subdued, relaxing, clean (!), and very comfortable. Breakfast was included with our package, and it was definitely one of the nicest buffets I've ever seen (particularly in comparison to the cruises and all-inclusives we've been too). Lots of fresh fruit, raw juices, mimosas (!), sushi, and some mexican fare, as well as the usual (waffles, eggs to order, bacon, etc). We slept in each morning, and b/c the breakfast ran until noon, we ate late and were then quite satisfied until dinnertime.

I read some complaints about things being too pricey, and while it was true that the charges for drinks and food were on the high end, we were never disappointed with what we got, and with the great service and ambiance, we never felt over-charged (except when taking taxis around town :).

The health club was well equipped and well-staffed. We intended to make appointments for the spa, but felt so relaxed just sitting by the pool and beach that we never felt an urgent need.

There were plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool each day (i.e. you didn't have to stake claim early). The music playing poolside, as well as in the hotel, was the soothing spa kind (not party music), and that added to the relaxation.

We have two small children (who stayed back home), and while we saw many children there, the "spa" ambiance of the hotel definitely catered to adults, and so we probably wouldn't take ours there in the future (mainly b/c I think kids might find it a bit boring -- tho this is just my assumption).

I only wish we'd stayed a bit longer . . . We will definitely go back.

13  Thank babymama2km
Reviewed July 4, 2005

The four of us (including two children, 9 and 7) spent a week at the FA Grand Aqua in June 2005. We had not booked there; we were transferred from another hotel as the latter had been over-booked. As a result of the circumstance of our arrival it took a full day to get oriented. I research vacations very carefully and before stepping across the threshold of the Aqua I had never heard anything about it.

It is an amazing hotel. The staff service is amazing. They are friendly, attentive and very knowledgable. The room we had was clean and had all the amenities we wanted. The workout facility has tremendous equipment, but could use a boost in the air conditioning.

I will say this is not a great hotel for kids. The Fiesta Kids Club was very much downplayed and was not well used as a result. My kids did join in one afternoon, and the leader helped them bake cookies. Now that's an interesting activity to choose when the temperature outside is 35 celcius! My wife and I did not get enough adult-time as a result of this deficiency. The only other problem we had were the prices at the restaurants. Before our room was ready the first day we went to the poolside bar. I had a salad and I bought a drink for each of the 4 of us. It came to $55 CDN. Not only is this not neccessary, it's not good business sense, because all but the upper bourgeoisie (or those who pretend they are) will trot across to La Isla Mall or further up the strip and pay a fraction of the cost for meals and drinks of comparable quality.

But these are minor complaints. If you are a couple of any age that is looking for a romantic, upscale oasis amid the mayhem of Cancun day and nightlife, then Aqua would be a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2004
27  Thank FanofSidtheKid
Reviewed July 2, 2005

My brother and I just returned from Aqua......we LOVED it.....We are both extremely well traveled and were looking for an upscale, hip alternative to The Ritz.....and we found it. Aqua is in a word - AMAZING. We were driven to the hotel in a Lincoln Navigator - and the whole spa experience began in the car......they played Enya on the car stereo to ya know, set the stage for the resort. We walked in and were greeted by name, which was fabulous. Our room was great - spacious with a magnificent view of the pools and ocean. We spent our days at the pool and on the beach. The pool area is unbelievable - it is well maintained and the staff is extremely attentive. The beach area is wonderful as well. You can sit on chairs under the palapas or on the beds above the beach.

We breakfasted each morning at Siete -the breakfast buffet is a MUST. The food is incredible and again, service is outstanding. I have never stayed anywhere where the service was so wonderful. Lunch at Azur was great and the restaurant manager Lerins was incredibly hospitable - he even showed me how to make an international call on my phone......thanks "Clarence..." MB restaurant was an amazing experience. The food and service were top notch. We went there for my brother's birthday celebration. They prepared fabulous dishes for us......I would return just to dine there again.

The staff at Aqua is incredible. We were always greeting with a "good morning", "good afternoon", etc. What ever we wanted, whenever we wanted it, we were always accomodated.

The layout and decor of the hotel is extremely well thought out. The whole vibe was amazing, the music, the aromatherapy, etc. The entire package was fabulous.

Before we left, my brother and I agreed that we would return in a heartbeat. I could not have picked a better resort in Cancun....

I cannot say enough about this hotel...Do not pass up t

18  Thank nikiva
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Terrific hotel. From the moment you see the building, it is impressive. The staff members aim to please and are all genuinely nice, capable and proactive, odd for Mexico. Rooms are outstanding. Amenities are over the top. Pool area it gorgeous. Beach is great. Restaurants outstanding. Pool service fantastic. Try the Shore Club for nightlife which is lots of fun. I cannot say enough about this hotel. The attitude is "cool". This is really something different for Cancun. I really needed a break and asked for lots of advice and this was a great choice. Yes, it is much more expensive, but it is worth it and how often do you get to take a really terrific vacation. I will definitely return many times. I like it more than the JW Marriott and the Ritz Carlton. I always felt they were too fancy for the beach. This place is the right mix of luxury with relaxation. Don't miss the spa either.

10  Thank Happy_on_the_road
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Just came back from Grand Aqua. Read all the user reviews on trip advisor about FAGA before picking the hotel back in January and kept checking in during the last 6 months. Must say I was pretty nervous back in April when the reviews were really bad.
I stayed at the hotel for a week with my husband (both in our 30's) and with my parents who were visiting from Denmark, Europe. We had a wonderful experience. Never stayed at a more relaxing hotel. The minute you walk into the lobby you are greeted by the aromatic oils from the oil lamps ("AQUA" in the lobby), the smiling staff (all dressed in white) and the amazing view of the Caribbean ocean and the water theme that continues through out the hotel. If there ever were a minimalistic, Scandinavian design-like resort in the Caribbean this would be the one.

Check-in turned out to be somewhat complicated because we wanted the 250$ resort credit and the upgrade to the Grand Club we qualified for. The staff was always friendly but had no idea what we were talking about. I had brought a copy of the offer printed out from Yahoo and proof that we did reserve our rooms before January 31.
They ended up giving both couples Ocean Front rooms and the resort credit but not at the grand Club level. We were however very satisfied because we loved the Ocean Front Rooms (which was a double upgrade from what we ordered). The views are out of this world! (Check out my photos)
About the Resort credit: The credit only applies to food, drinks and the spa. It does not cover tip, the shop, and cabanas on the beach or internet service. We were not told this when we checked in and had to deal with the manager at the end of our stay to make them accept our purchases as part of the resort credit. They do have a list of what is covered - the manager showed it to us a checkout, but that was a little late :-)

The rooms are just as pretty as the pictures they show online at Travelocity and Expedia. They are gracious in size and the furniture is simple and modern.
We had to ask for the pillow menu, and the staff had a lot of problems finding us two foam pillows. But they were always smiling and friendly.
The turn down service was awesome. The Zen/lounge music, the water- theme on the TV and the different aromatic oils (5 in total). We even bought our own set of oil lamp and oils at the hotel shop to bring home.
The pool area was big and beautiful. Great free sun beds by the pools and a nice small adult area with a swim-up bar.

We did try the cabanas at the beach one day. They were $48 a day. The uncovered mattresses at the beach right in front of the cabanas are free and so are the sun beds at the beach.

We dined once at restaurant Siete for breakfast. I had my hopes high from the reviews online. It was a nice brunch, but it didn't blow me away. Big selection at the buffet but the juices and fruits were very disappointing.
Instead we found this new breakfast place called "100% Natural" across from Senor Frogs (around the 9k mark so about 2-3 k north from Grand Aqua) Loved their protein drink (Proteina w. strawberry) their bread and their yoghurt. It's an inexpensive and really healthy alternative to the huge buffets you will normally find in Cancun.

We also tried the concierge service a couple of times and they were always great: Loved La Destillia (traditional Mexican 2 minutes walk south of Grand Aqua) and La Parrilla (in Playa Del Carmen but they also have a restaurant in Downtown Cancun)
If you are planning on seeing some Mayan Ruins I would recommend Chichen Itza and get a guide at the entrance. They are around $50 + tip and worth every penny. We also saw Tulum and were very disappointed. Not at all as well preserved and driving there was very stressful too.

In all Grand Aqua was awesome. Sure they are still having minor problems but as mentioned they were always smiling, helpful and friendly and did solve every issue we had. Grand Aqua is an oasis in Cancun and I would love to come back sometime.

Stayed: June 2005
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Two 40 something chicks just got back a couple of days ago from 5 nights at the Aqua. What a wonderful hotel this is. Check in was real smooth (except no cool towel and cold refreshments were offered). Our first room was ground level and I asked to be moved but the hotel was booked solid the first nite so we moved the next day after 3 p.m. to a higher room. What a view from up there. Not only do u see the whole back of the hotel, you see the pool area and the beach. Our first room didn't have a safe and I had to call to get one installed. It took approximately 20 minutes. We ate lunch at Azur that afternoon and it was good but very expensive. A turkey sandwich with fries cost $12.00. For two the bill was approximately $38 (this w/o acoholic beverages). The pools and pool area are very clean. The lounges on the beach are very comfortable and of course the beach and water are spectacular.

Our room was large with a very large bath. The glass shower is very large, there's a seperate tub, a sound system connected to the tv, a phone and a small toilet. The bath was always stocked with shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. The towels were a little rough though. There is also a permanent safe in the room - it came in handy. Our ice machine was broken on our floor the whole time we were. I called three times to have it fixed and it still wasn't the day we left.

All throughout the hotel there is alot of glass. When it rained all morning Monday there were white towels all over the floors in the lobby area as well as other places. Most glass doors are locked 24/7 because of the wind. One of the staff members told us its because when its windy the doors blow open or closed and smash the glass doors. It was a pain at times to remember which doors were open and which were locked. The aromatherapy throughout the hotel was a nice touch. It smelled very clean and was very clean.

We never ate Siete or MB because of reviews and after seeing the prices, we opted to eat at restaurants at La Isla Mall (across the street) or other restaurants farther up the main strip. The continential breakfast at the hotel was $18.00 per person. I had a complete breakfat at VIPs for $7.00.

I think they are still trying to iron out a few things and they need to work on their consistency. Overall, however, its a beautiful hotel and if you want to stay where there are no high school or college kids, this is the hotel. It really is a spectacular hotel and all the staff are very friendly. You won't be disappointed if you stay here.

16  Thank Fastcar300