“Horrible service! Cost and 5-star rating do not add up for this place...”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #6 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“Horrible service! Cost and 5-star rating do not add up for this place...”
Reviewed March 18, 2005

If you want an honest review this one will pretty much sum it all up. I stayed for 5 nights Feb 17-22 during the President's day holiday weekend with my girlfriend. I too wasn't sure about staying there after reading all the reviews. But so many people kept saying it's a beautiful hotel with great ammenities (which it is and it does!), but others kept knocking the place because of its service. I thought, it's not very often I can stay at a new 5-star hotel and be in complete luxary, I thought I could brave out the horrible service. Bottom line, for the price we paid (you can stay at fancy hotels just like it), the service isn't what you'd expect out from a 5 star hotel.

The first problem we faced was being put in a room with 2 double beds for my girlfriend and I, yet we had booked a room for 1 king size bed and they refused to change our room saying it was completely booked--funny when you look at the hotel at night, less than half the rooms look occupied... Secondly, why would you put a couple in a room with 2 doubled beds is beyond me. Thus our problems were about to begin... Which I'll explain below.

The service should be rated more like a 2 star hotel, not a 5 star one. It was utter chaos trying to check in to the place, no order whatsoever. They were tremendously understaffed behind the front desk (and they told us the hotel was fully booked that weekend), took 45 minutes to check in with many customers trying to cut in front of one another at check in. Room service was horrible, one time we ordered and they said they were too busy to come with our request (for an internet usage card) and they would come later, which they never did--what kind of room service never comes in a 5-star hotel?! Maid service was inconsistent, they didn't restock everything, we often had to ask for extra soaps. They also did not replace the bath robes with clean ones and we were missing the complimentary slippers that a card in the room said we should have. Bar service on the beach was bad, it was hard to flag down anybody who could serve us, one time it took 30 minutes just to get the tab!!! The cabana boys are always trying to hustle you to let them carry your towels so you feel obliged to have to tip them, it's more of a guilt trip they put on you, almost cruel... Service in the Siete was inconsistent, one day they are pushing chairs in for you as you sit and refilling your coffee every minute beckoning to your every call, the next day you can't even get your waiter to give you the bill, let alone come around to take your order.

I also should mention that the checkout process is just as hectic as the check in process, if not worse. When we booked we were supposed to get a $250 resort credit. Which by the way they were not going to give us if I did not bring it up when I checked in (I got that vibe from them). It was a good thing I could speak some Spanish, otherwise they would have had no clue to give me the credit. They also neglected to tell me that the credit was only for food and beverage. It was not to be used for the spas or for tipping. Unlucky us used the credit to do all the above and we did the majority of the tipping using the credit. At checkout time we were told we had to pay the tips ourselves which we thought wans't right because they never told us what it was for.

What also contributed to my nightmare checkout was that we requested from them the day before checkout, was permission to do a late checkout (by 1:30pm instead of 12 noon). When we went back to our room to get our luggage at 12:45pm, our key cards didn't work, they had locked us out of our rooms. They claimed it was an error in their computer, we were furious with them, but again they did nothing to accomodate us. We were lucky we left extra time to get to the airport. Because it took another 30 minutes to get to the front desk and then of course they had to con us out of another $50 for tips which they made us cover for the credit didn't cover it.

There were problems with the room, the shower pressure was not strong at all. Oh and the power kept going out in the room, one time while I was showering the lights went out, the staff attributes that to an electrical glitch in their motion detectors in the resort--go figure after 2 months still electrical problems. So everytime you return your alarm clock will flash 12:00. Also, the ice machine on the floor was broken, it took them 4 days to fix it when I mentioned it to them. Elevators were also horrible, often times I and often times I observed others waiting patiently for an elevator to come for over 5 minutes (this was on tower 1 side). Mind you, the hotel is only 12 stories tall (I think). They need to get them programmed properly to not bypass floors so often.

The positives if you were curious were the ammenities and the beauty of the hotel. Resort property is nice, rooms are nice with DVD players and stereos in them w/ speakers in the bathroom which was a nice touch. Beach is beautiful, though you can't swim, the surf is too rough. Rooms were generally clean, not restocked. Beds on the beach, the cabanas, the pools all top notch. I've never seen king sized beds on a beach before, it was incredible, the person who thought that up is a genius.

Food was OK at the siete, nothing spectacular. Frankly the 240 peso breakfast buffet isn't worth it. When you go there don't hesitate to ask for a menu to see the prices. You can order things other than the buffet, which they don't tell you. Your best bet is chips and salsa or a burger and fries on the beach, they're pretty good.

With all the negatives things that happened on our trip, we let them know about it, but their excuse was always that the hotel is fully booked and they are doing their best to accomodate us--this after already being open for a few months... I know I did a lot of hating on this hotel, but it doesn't deserve such a high rating yet, it needs to earn it on its service. I for one won't be returning to this hotel, I'd much rather pay the same price and stay try a different resort that puts service as their top priority along with its ammenities, not just providing a beautiful resort.

If you are able to speak Spanish and communicate in Spanish, then you won't really have much of a problem getting what you want here. You'll probably get further than I did with my limited Spanish. But be prepared to deal with the lackluster service and same disappointment in it as I had. This is not definitely not a 5-star hotel, nor is it a 4-star. For the price it commands and the service it provides, it's more of a 2-star hotel overall, not worth it. The staff tried, but it just doesn't deliver for what you'd expect. It's unacceptable for room service to tell you they are too busy, otherwise what is the point of room service?!?!!!

Maybe in a couple of months later this year when they have a better trained and equipped staff, service could improve and it may actually deem a 5-star rating.

• Stayed February 2005
20 Thank DeeL9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Defiance, Missouri
Reviewed March 15, 2005

We stayed at GA March 8-14. After reading all the reviews my wife and I were concerned. It is a new hotel with some quirks to work out but definitely nothing that would keep us from going back!

Property- beautiful common areas, bars and restaurants. Pool and beach area are equally impressive. Hotel smelled great as there was different aromatherapy in each area. Design and architecture are stunning. Great music playing in each area. Fittness center was free and had the best equipment and music playing.

Beach/Pool- numerous pools each with different music playing in background including one with a swim up bar "the adult pool". Plenty of poolside chairs and cabanas. Note on the beds, the covered cabanas went for $35 daily rental, the beds w/o cover were free. We saw a couple sneak into a covered cabana and hotel staff asked them to pay or leave. The beds w/o cover were fine for us, extremely comfortable and unique to be able to lay in bed on the beach! Never had a problem finding space and we went out about 11 am each day.

Service- excellent in all areas. Check in/out were a breeze. Poolside service was awesome and they would even serve you lunch in the beach side beds. Restaurant service no issues. Room service great too. Note the time share pitch after checkin- we merely said no thank you to the guy who tried to grab us and we proceeded to our room. Front desk noticed we declined and they sent staff to guide us to the room and explain ammenities and property. We used the concierge/tour desk which provided info and helped us set up day trips. They were great with restaurant recommendations too. We've travelled to many caribbean resorts and service at Aqua was great!

Food- Breakfast buffet was incredible, don't miss the cook to order station where they will do pretty much anything you want. MB was great upscale intense menu. Pool/Beach side food was good. Could have used another choice in restaurants for dinner. Remember La Isla Mall is across the street (best restaurant is La Madonna, but also have 4 or so more). As well there are about 5 more places w/in walking distance- head out the entrance to your left and you'll hit La Distelleria across the street and another mall with a Ruth Chris, Houlihans and a couple more a short walk away.

Memorable moments- Raul was outstanding with pool and beach service, always on top of everything and just a nice guy! Javier the driver was outstanding (he's the guy who drives the Aqua Hummer). If you need any local recommendations ask for Javier or if you want a really special day or transportation Javier will drive you in the Hummer (for a fee of course). Don't forget to fill out your aromatherapy menu in room and after turndown service you will come back to a romantic evening (they also turn on the Aqua channel which plays soft spa music). The beach was absolutely incredible, we found beach just in front was picture perfect and never crowded (this location is not prone to much cross traffic from the other hotels). Don't miss the freshly cooked chocolate waffles at bkfst buffet!

• Stayed March 2005