“I cried at the airport when it was time to go home.”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #6 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Auburn
“I cried at the airport when it was time to go home.”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were treated with kindness from the moment we arrived. Ana was wonderful at the desk and upgraded our room to an ocean view. The hotel smells wonderful and is kept very clean. Miguel pampered us with table side deserts. The staff found out that my husband proposed and Chef Eric sent champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We were invited to a private dinner prepared by Chef Eric which was absolutely delicious. Upon leaving the hotel Chef Eric met us with gifts and took photos. We look forward to returning ASAP!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Jepalmer1225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,586)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
oklahoma city
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We arrived at the resort and were greeted quickly. We were taken up to the Aqua Club to check in because we had an ocean view with aqua club reservation. Check in was quick and we were given tea to drink. Our bags were taken to our room quickly. The room had an amazing view and a nice balcony. The room was up to date and clean with good air conditioning..the bed was comfortable but a little firm and sometimes at night you can hear doors closing but we slept fine.. Room service was always quick. Pools are amazing and always clean. The service around the pool was pretty good considering how large of an area the servers have to cover. we had hamburgers from grill around the pool one day for lunch and they were very good. another day we had lunch at sea corner and it was also good. Sevens is a buffett type restaraunt and it was always good for breakfast and anytime really. We ate at Azur and MB which are nice, more formal.. and the food was great. Azur is closer to the beach and what a view. servers always right on top of things. The steak was very good. The coffee shop inside by the gift shop had some delicious desserts, you've got to try the coffee cheesecake! It costs an extra 80$ per day for a cabana if you dont have a suite room. To me it wasnt worth it because there were always nice lounge chairs available with umbrellas and they were pretty comfortable. The aqua club was nice to relax and have appetizers, drinks. The swim up bartenders were fun and offered different drinks if you wanted to try them. Music around pool was not to loud which is good for just relaxing. The ocean is a little rough so be careful. Overall we were very very happy with Live Aqua and would return again and recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing vacation. The mall is across the street and it is nice. There is a pharmacy close by up the street if you need sunscreen or aloe etc. We took the buses R1 and R2..they go up the strip and only cost 1$ compared to 10$ taxi ride one way. They were quick and would let you off anywhere..just tell the driver or push the button when you want to exit.

Room Tip: We had aqua club ocean front but i think deluxe ocean front is the same just without club access. i...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lisa100878
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This hotel is no longer a five star resort. Very short staffed and no longer willing to make your stay perfect. Went to MB and was very disrespected will never be back at Aqua again.

Staff by the pool is not the same they have one guy per section and hassle you about towels when before you couldn't breath loud because someone always was giving you food or drinks. Now it is quicker to get it yourself and the towels are a big hassle.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jdileva
Hortonville, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Staff was fantastic, too pushy for the time share we were on vacation. Room was great, clean and again staff amazing. Number one question would I go back? No.. The whole time share thing with them being pushy really was to the point we went way out of our way to avoid the lobby. And also food was just ok.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank William P
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

It's been almost a year since my husband and I honeymooned at Live Aqua and I still find myself dreaming about the tacos by the sea, the delicious drinks, the AMAZING VIEWS, our great staff, and the luxurious bedding/bath.

From step one, we were treated like royalty - and felt like it too.

We booked on cheapcaribbean.com and got a great deal. The food is really good, but only a few dishes are GREAT. However... Because everything else is so amazing... You barely notice.

I've recommended this place to everyone I know!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jessie H
Annandale, MN
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My wife and I have been going to the Playa Del Carmen/Cancun areas of Mexico annually since our 20th anniversary in 1997 and this has been the best resort yet!

This year I chose Live Aqua as a surprise destination to celebrate our 37th anniversary. My wife had no idea where in the world we were going and she was totally in love with everything here. I will have a hard time convincing her to go anywhere else. We stayed 4 nights; June 8th-11th.

ARRIVAL: Two porters were waiting and immediately took our luggage as we stepped out of our van. They were dressed in impeccably sharp white uniforms and were very courteous and friendly. The aromas from the scented oil pots and the Spa-like music were so soothing and inviting and the large bubbling pool in the lobby were great first impressions.

CHECK-IN: We were given an ice cold wash cloth and a tall glass of very good iced tea...both very refreshing. There was a brief offer to get a hand massage and talk about a tour and other offers, I assume a time share offer, but we declined as we had been up and on the move for 12 hours and we just wanted to go to our room. They said OK and that was it and we were given our wrist bands...all with smiles and no further pressure.

OUR ROOM: I had booked an ocean view room and we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to an ocean front for $40 extra per night. The ocean front rooms are those in the center of the building, not those step-like areas on the ends. I asked if we may look at both before deciding. The lady smiled and said Yes! She cheerfully walked us to each room and we chose the ocean front because of the more spacious floor plan, the larger balcony and the view was incredible. It just so happened that a room was immediately available on the 9th floor and this was around noon! No waiting until 3:00. Room 9008 was almost in the center of the building and I would highly recommend it. Ask for a room on 3rd floor or higher to get an ocean view.
We had a king bed that was very comfortable, full of pillows, a great comforter and the sheets were so nice to sleep on. The bathroom had a tub on one side and a large tiled walk-in shower, with great water pressure, on the other side. The vanity was well lit. There was plenty of closet space and many drawers for storage. The programmable safe was large enough for a large lap top and had an electrical outlet inside. The A/C worked very well and the fan was very quiet.
The tiled floors are glossy throughout the room and bathroom and to those who are slipping on them, I would suggest completely drying off on the floor mat after showering BEFORE you start walking around. You have plenty of traction with dry bared or stocking feet. The furniture was very nice and comfortable. They may look slightly used but who wants to put the first ding on them? Our room was very, very clean! Also, we rarely heard noises in the hallway as others complained about.

THE BALCONY: They're about 4 X 12 feet with 2 very comfortable chairs and a small table. I liked the fact that the railing was all glass, topped with a round pewter colored pipe. The sliding glass doors are very heavy and had a secure locking mechanism. The window dressings had both sheers and heavy room-darkening outer drapes if you want to sleep in past sunrise.

THE RESTAURANTS: We tried most of them. We only ate breakfast at the SIETE, not lunch or dinner. Everything you could want for breakfast was offered there, including a Mexican section and mimosas.
Our first meal was at the VARENNA. Limited menu choices but the pizza that came from the wood-fired oven was out of this world. That wood smoke would ignite your appetite whenever you came near this outdoor cafe.
The AZURE was our next meal. They offer both shaded and outdoor seating. No A/C but there was a nice flow-thru breeze. Lots of great seafood choices...my favorites being the stuffed grouper and fish tacos and a nice salad bar. (SIETE and a part of MB are the only restaurants with A/C but the heat and humidity were never issues for us and NO bugs in the outdoor restaurants).
MB was very upscale requiring long pants, a collared shirt and closed-toe shoes for men and long pants or a dress for women and also closed-toe shoes. We chose to sit outside under a shade tree. A really nice atmosphere. It had excellent menu choices, great tasting food and great food presentation.
The HIDDEN GARDEN was by far our favorite with the best atmosphere you could ever imagine for being totally outside. We both love Asian cuisine and the flavors and presentations were outstanding.
We never tried the SEA CORNER as it was totally open to direct sunlight and looked hot. It would, however, be shaded in the later part of the afternoon and had we stayed longer, we would have tried it.
There was a daily poolside lunchtime BBQ that offered many hot food choices buffet style. One day they made seafood paella and we fell in love with that. They also made seafood empenadas that were excellent.
We tried the CAFE DELI BOUTIQUE for a morning coffee and sweet roll. Both were OK but we chose to go to STARBUCKS across the street because my wife prefers lattes made by hand and not from an automated machine.
As an anniversary surprise on our last night, I booked a dinner at INLAA'KECH. It's $65 extra per person but well worth it. I had the 14 oz lobster tail and my wife had the Surf & Turf; a good-sized lobster tail and a large very tender steak with great presentations and sides. After dinner, the waiter came over and covered our table with glass and began writing an anniversary greeting using liquid white and dark chocolate from a squeeze bottle. This was very impressive. Then he placed chocolate desserts on the glass and we slid them into the chocolate messages. Really delicious!
As we were dining here, at my request, the room staff drew a hot bubble bath and using at least 100 rose petals, placed them in the water, lined our floor with them, created a heart on our bed and put more around the comforter and pillows and then placed lit candles on the tub and on the floor leading to our bed. My wife was totally wowed with this and this was at no extra charge but I left a very generous tip.
One other night, a waiter came to our room with champagne on ice and a plate of chocolate desserts. This was not ordered. This is just how this place is! We also had a nice colored rice message on our bed one night.

THE POOLS: There are 8, including a swim-up bar. The darker tiled pools were nice and warm and the others were nice and cool. There was also a hot tub. All the pools were very clean and clear with hardly any chlorine smell. They were never crowded and we always had chair/umbrella choices no matter what time we went down there. The service at poolside was excellent. We also liked the fact that there was a nice brushed finish on the concrete surrounding the pools, no glossy slippery tiles. I also liked the fact that pool towel cards are not used. You simply give your room number when you get them and when you return them. The grounds around the pools were always immaculate.

THE BEACH: The best anywhere in Mexico. The sand was groomed daily and there were no rocks or coral in the water.

THE GYM: I never used it as I use vacation time to give my body a rest but it had a lot of windows and very upscale weights and cardio equipment, nicely air conditioned and great work-out music.

THE BARS: Top shelf and never watered down drinks. I saw them crack the seal on several bottles. I only wish Corona was offered.

THE ELEVATORS: Very fast and quiet and several, I think 8, to choose from.

SERVICE: EVERYONE; the initial greeters, the maids, hosts, waitstaff, everyone, was very nice, friendly, interactive and very hard working. The best we ever had!

We will be back and may never try anyplace else.

THANK YOU LIVE AQUA!

Mike & Cathy, Annandale, MN.

Room Tip: OCEAN FRONT are worth the upgrade price and if you don't want to look at trees and bushes, go 3r...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Mike-Cathy
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Me and my wife went for our first Anniversary (and a better honeymoon. our honeymoon was in Hawaii and we didnt enjoy it at all and wished we picked Cancun after being her).

We planned our trip both as Beach/relax and sight-seeing.

So, if we were going to travel to different places, we felt it was better to go further south of cancun (closer to chichen etc.,) and as well as what is the point of an All-Inclusive if we stayed out..

so we stayed 5 days in Playa-Del-Carmen at a budget place around $88 per night. Very nice hotel, clean and close to the beach/5th avenue. Travelled to Cozumel, rental car to chichen Itza and Tulum beaches etc.,

finally we ended the last 3 nights at Live Aqua..

i have travelled world-wide on business - but the service was awesome.. I have never had food without complaining.. (I am also indian and need my spice/curry in everything. .but i ate every thing that LIve Aqua made and was searching for 'complaints".. but every thing i had was so so so so delicious..

the check-in was fast
room was clean and nice ocean facing
the soaps/shampoos were awesome quality (not cheap ones). (I never use any hotel shampoo as i get dandruff immediately - to my experience i was very very surprised).
service at the beach was awesome
no waiting for drinks
service in all restaurants was awesome

overall - the food was so so so good..

my wife is a beach enthusiast.. i wanted a beach + bar+ good food

the only shortfall was a night club. the have a night club/bar but pretty much quite and nothing going on.. it was boring

i only wish this place had a decent "night club" for a friday/saturday. the hotel arranged to take us to some famous night clubs (coco bongo)... it was around 70 or 80 per person and open bar. we werent interested as we were not big drinkers and all we wanted is a place say $20 entry etc., and just go in and have couple of drinks and dance.. (like it Ibiza or NYC).. hoping for salsa / latin music.. but being a tourist, we were warned to go to the downtown city area.. so we just stayed at the hotel..

on the 3rd day evening - we asked for some shampoos as we ran-out, and the operator asked me if i needed a clean up to the room.. i said "yes"..why not..

when we came back after our dinner - our room had candles lit all over, with "red riced hearts" every where.. and a bottle of champaign and ice bucket etc., we were very very surprised..

so overall an awesome experience.. worth every dollar..

(one more thing.. dont know if it was us or. heat/weather.. we had few drinks but never got buzzed.. i am a light drinker and generally the 2nd to 3rd drink i get very happy... but i never felt drunk even once..inspite of having 5-8 mojitos etc.,

so not sure if they water down their drinks.. (this happened to me with the bottled beers too)

i will leave that comment to the experts...

i have never stayed at any All-inclusives before, i think Live -Aqua had set a high standard though...

(oh.. one "other last thing".. sorry. not sure why these coastal areas charge a higher premiums for Lobsters..)

Room Tip: ocean facing rooms are great
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple