“Best hotel ever!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best hotel ever!!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my birthday and I can't complain about anything the hotel had to offer! The customer service was over the top and the rooms were 5 star quality! I love the smell over the whole hotel and the relaxing music they play all day! This hotel is so wonderful we are planning to book again soon! The restaurants are so good and the food matches the hotel quality! This has to be the best hotel I have been too in a long time! I love it!!! Pools are outstanding and the view is breath taking! Book and see for yourself!

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank Quita1121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,586)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 6, 2014

If you like getting up at 5:30AM to get chairs and umbrella by the pool, then this is the vacation for you. If not, choose another resort. Upon checking in (20 minutes), the king room we booked was not available, but we could pay an extra fee for an upgrade. We agreed, but low and behold, the king bed wasn't available but 2 queens were.
The food was disappointing! I became I'll after eating (one bite) of an undercooked hamburger that was cooked poolside. Bar service sucked whether you used waitstaff or self serve.
Live Aqua was a beautiful setting and very quite. Not much happening at night, but that was ok with us, because we had to wake up by 5:30 to get a chaire by the pool anyway.
We will not be going back to Live Aqua.

Room Tip: Be prepared to fight to get the room you booked.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Cind R
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. I regret you weren't pleased with your stay, and that the resort didn't live up to your expectations. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in, we have been recognized by almost all our TripAdvisor followers, as one of the hotels with the best staff in Cancun. I regret that service received during your vacation did not live up to the expectations of luxurious and relaxing experience. I would exhort any guest who is having a bad experience to seek help while on the premises so that a suitable solution can be found.

Regarding the food poisoning, I can assure you that the circumstances you described are not typical with the high standards that we strive to provide, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks. We are committed to serving food and beverages that adheres to the highest standards of food hygiene and safety. The hotel runs a "food safety management program" that is subject to constant internal and external audits. Every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Twin Cities
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed at Live Aqua from March 22-29 and had a fantastic time. As everyone will say the hotel and rooms are spotless. The hotel was full so staff had to work really hard to tidy up the amount of glasses and plates that were used. The staff are cheerful and friendly. We especially enjoyed Oscar the poolside manager, Wilbertha at the MB bar, Verinoca and Alehjandra beach waitstaff. The gentlemen that move chairs, clean up glasses, and help you find an umbrella surely do not get the credit they deserve.
Chef Eric is a gem. To find someone that takes that much pride in the establishment they work for is rare. We were treated to dinner by Chef Eric at MB. He came out to the table to greet us and then checked in before racing off to the next restaurant.
We went to the spa and found the experience delightful. Make sure you take the time to arrive early to get the perks that come with scheduling a spa service.
The beach is beautiful and the pools are wonderful. The "reserving" of chairs at crazy early hours is an issue. There are plenty of chairs but the umbrellas are what everyone wanted. There are very few permanent palm shelters. Like many fair skin people we could only handle the sun for so long. We would have liked more shade available.

4 Thank rang6299
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We spent 5 nights here at the end of March and felt totally renewed! The service was top notch even though the resort was fully booked. It did not feel crowed although we were a group of 6 and had to go to dinner by 6:15 each night to get a table without waiting over an hour and half. MB and the Hidden Garden are both very small. HG is actually only 14 tables, so without being able to make reservations make sure you go early. I also had to make sure to get up early for the chair game by the pool. The week we were there I would say most chairs were taken by 6am. I just set the alarm for 4am went out and got a chair and went back to bed. The food was good all week and I actually loved the lunch places (sea corner and the Italian place) better than anything I had for dinner. It would be helpful if the dinner restaurants rotated the menu a bit for more selection. I found it very noisy when trying to sleep, but just brought ear plugs. We had a garden view which was still very nice as we spent more time in the chair by the pool than in the room anyways! One recommendation I would have to a resort of this caliber is to have its own shuttle service from the airport. It seems they partnered with Best Day Travel as they were in the hotel and I would say waiting on those shared transfers was the most stressful part of the trip. I noticed other hotels had shuttle service when we were at the airport, and that would have been really nice to have at this price point.

3 Thank Carly S
chicago IL
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We are a couple in our late 50s staying at Live Aqua for the first time from 3/25 -4/2. We left Chicago at 7:15 am and were checked into our room by 1pm. We received no cold towels and tea, no offer of a hand massage, and thankfully, no time share sales pitch. We were asked if we wanted to upgrade our garden view room but we declined wanting to see the room first. Room 1151 is on the ground floor on the inner half of the south leg of the horseshoe and has to be one of the least desirable rooms in the entire resort due to the fact that the balcony (really a patio) is completely covered by a large palm tree and dense tropical shrubbery and offers no view whatsoever. This was not all bad as this room did offer privacy, shade, and easy access to the public areas. We had no problems with door slamming or hallway noise and did not use an elevator during our entire stay. The service staff is entirely composed of congenial, well groomed, twentysomethings who not only provide outstanding service, but act as ambassadors for the best Cancun has to offer. They do not wear hats, sunglasses, and have no visible tattoos. They all speak at least some English and most fairly well, even the housekeepers. We had problems with our TV remote and safe and both were handled within minutes. The food and drink here are both far above the average AI. All the restaurants are good and the care taken in preparation and presentation is always evident. The filet mignon at MB, the tuna and salmon fillets at Azur, the incendiary tika masala at Hidden Garden were all memorable. The pizza and pasta at Varenna , impressive even by Chicago standards, was enhanced by the pleasant outdoor setting. Top shelf liquor is available throughout the resort as is canned beer which is a small improvement over the insipid Dos Equis draft. Had I met the Chef Eric I would have asked him if there was any Belgian beer around. The pool and beach are as good as it gets. The infinity pool with the sea as its backdrop is a must photo-op. Get up early if you want an umbrella. The gym has modern functioning Life Fitness equipment but is small and gets crowded in the morning. Next to the gym is the café which serves specialty coffees from a Nescafe machine and pastries. The coffee does not taste like what Americans are used to. If you want regular coffee use your in room coffeemaker or get it at a restaurant. If you are like us a don't have an I-phone that works in Mexico, there is free internet access in the lobby that is always available. Finally while I consider reviews that rave about individual resort employees as uninformative, I'll make an exception for Damien at the AKA Bar, Luis at Siete, and Chef Vanessa at the sushi station, as being the hardest working people in show business. Even though being 50+ we were in the distinct minority,(I was going to title this review' GenX goes to the beach') I would not hesitate to return. Live Aqua is a fabulous resort, even room 1151!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank meadguy55
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Allow me to take this opportunity to express my gratitude for your review and recommendations which help all the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy to know that your time with us was great and your stay was enjoyable. Thank you for giving us credit on so many positive aspects.

Thank you for giving us credit on so many positive aspects, we will be looking forward to welcome you back, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance in the future.

Warmest regards,
New Haven, Indiana

Stayed from 3/31-4/4/14

I have stayed at RIU, Sandos, Palace, and Sandals chains and Live Aqua might be the best. Service was great (as all AI's usually are).

Items I liked best: no kids, relaxing (not a huge party location), closeness to airport (20 minutes, used USA transfers), the closeness of all amenities (pool, beach, restaurants, spa, bars, gym, etc), and especially the food. IMO the food is what separates Live from the others.

The entrees were fantastic, could really tell the food was truly prepared with the touch of a chef. I also feel that Live had the best seafood selection of any place I have ever been.

A couple of suggestions for your trip. They do have top shelf liquor, but like most bars, drinks are served with well items unless you ask for top shelf. The beds are not as comfortable as your own (no matter where you stay in the world), but I was told you can ask for a pillow topper for your bed. Yes, you might have some sand in your room (you are staying 70 yards from one of the biggest beaches in the world.) Your food order might have a little Mexican flare when you don't expect it (just like you food might have an Asian flare when traveling in China.) Wind will howl through your room at night (once again you are 100 yds from the ocean with a sliding door patio), put a towel down on your floor at your hallway door base and this noise is eliminated.

Please don't misinterpret anything written above as a negative comment about Live Aqua, it is one of the best. These are just some general suggestions for a more enjoyable trip to Mexico.

truly an excellent resort!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Sls1973
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Two of my best friends and I recently traveled to Cancun for a much needed getaway (3/26/14 - 04/03/14). Having been to Live Aqua Cancun about four years ago, there was no question where we were going to book our vacation. When you roll up in your van from the airport (about a 20-minute drive) and step outside the vehicle, you can smell the light scent of the one of the hotel's signature burning oils, such as Black Coconut & Jasmine, wafting out of the large revolving door. Heaven! All of your stresses begin fade away. Rather than going up to the front desk to check in, you are escorted to one of the comfortable couches in the lobby area where you are offered a warm towel for your face and hands, some herbal tea, and a hand massage. The concierge will also advise you if there are any upgrades available, which we took advantage of on both visits. On this trip, we had already booked a deluxe ocean front room on the Aqua Club level. This time, rather than remaining in the lobby for the check-in process, we were immediately escorted to the Aqua Club, which entitles guests to a morning continental breakfast with lots of options, appetizers in the afternoon, and desserts and top shelf (nightcap) liquors in the evening. Nancy, our Aqua Club concierge, spoke with us about upgrading to one of the suites, which would provide we three girls with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, two closets, two little refrigerators, and two balconies. We loved this idea and snapped it up right away, and Nancy was right! Another perk of having an Aqua Club suite is that it comes with a free cabana each day (an $80 value). In addition, we also received a 20-minute foot massage each day--by the pool--no less! You could split the 20 minutes between two people, which made everyone happy! As we were finalizing our upgrade with Nancy, Berna, one of the handsome and charming Aqua Club staff members introduced himself and offered us refreshments and morning treats from the buffet. With the fabulous view, comfy lounge seats, and charismatic and welcoming staff, we certainly felt spoiled! And then, just like Santa Claus coming in March, Executive Chef Eric De Maeyer comes into the Aqua Club to introduce himself and welcome US to Live Aqua! After handshakes and smiles all around, Chef Eric invited us to dinner at MB that Friday evening, he wanted us to sit at the Chef's table near the kitchen, and told us that he was going to prepare a special menu just for US! He inquired as to whether anyone had any food allergies or preferred certain foods, and one of the members of our party advised that she did not eat beef or seafood. We couldn't believe it! This is an acclaimed Chef who has years of experience honing his craft, who took time out of his busy day to come up and greet us and then invite us to dinner! Well, he is just adorable and as genuine as can be! No fat-headed chef here, even thought he has the credentials, experience and artistry to be a complete fat head! What a kind man. Sure enough, come that Friday evening, we appeared at MB at 6:00 p.m. When he saw us, he immediately assigned one of his sous chefs and a server, Eli and Oswaldo, to us and told them to take good care of us and to make sure that we had a lovely evening. And we DID. Chef Eric had prepared for us a fabulous meal of filet mignon and lobster, with mushrooms and potato which was to die for! He also remembered that my other friend preferred chicken, and he made a special plate for her which was equally scrumptous! Eli recommended perfect wine pairings to accompany our meal, and Oswaldo was incredibly attentive to us. We really felt like movie stars! Our dessert was a chocolate heaven, and could have been photographed for hanging in an art gallery! Our heartfelt thanks to Chef Eric, Eli and Oswaldo for making us feel so special and spoiling us so! :) We loved every minute of it.

During our 8 days at Live Aqua, the girls spent all but one day lounging in our cabana, the various pools, lounge chairs, and sampling the frothy tropical cocktails whipped up bycute and talented bartenders. Everyone, and I mean everyone, on this hotel's staff is so warm and welcoming, and will go the extra mile to make sure that guests are well taken care of. Karen, one of the Pool Concierges, is one of those folks. Even though the hotel is "all inclusive", it was our great pleasure to tip these staff members well. All of the restaurants have delicious food, but MB and the Italian restaurant really stand out. One of my friends was over the moon about Siete's french toast with cream cheese in the middle, which she swears is the best french toast she's ever eaten! Since I'm trying to stay somewhat out of the sun, there were still things for me to do as well. I enjoyed the spa in the hotel immensely and indulged in a facial and foot massage. I also walked across to the La Isla mall across the street to do some shopping. I also napped in the shade of the cabana, and floated around in the covered part of the (former) adult pool with the swim-up bikini bar. Victor and Jorge in the Welcome Center helped me arrange for a private charter catamaran cruise over to north shore of Isla Mujeres, which was just breathtaking!

Our suite was pristine! Squeaky clean and well maintained during our stay. The room and suite staff are professional, courteous and kind, and leave little fun things in your room every day or so. I also love the oils they have in each room and throughout the hotel, which subliminally make you feel relaxed. I especially liked the "Romance" and "Relax" oils, and purchased some to bring home with me. I've been home for two days now, and I'm still lingering in the zen from Live Aqua.

I would love to keep this little gem of a hotel to myself, but I really want them thrive and grow and continue their superior efforts in guest services. They even have a button on the room phone which says, "your wish, my wish", and they truly mean it! Even the guests are well behaved, super friendly, and courteous, with the exception of the big dope who wore his see-thru robe into the Aqua Club and let the front fall open. Really? He was a little toooo relaxed! With such lush accommodations, I found all of the other guests to be great!

Live Aqua gets an A+. On your next trip to Cancun, give it a try . . . you'll be back again and again, and so will I. :p

Marianne Cruden

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

6 Thank Marianne C
It is with great pleasure I read how our staff exceeded your expectations by taking care of your needs at all times; thank you for sharing the details of what made your stay so memorable and mentioning the names of every team member who made every effort to ensure that you wouldn’t want to leave our hotel, this kind of recognition are always welcome with great enthusiasm by every staff member, as it is our inspiration for success and new achievements. I have already congratulated the members of our staff that you mentioned.

We appreciate your review and recommendations, we will be looking forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home, ready to make every effort to provide you with another pleasurable experience.

Warmest regards,