“More like a 3+...good but not very good.”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #6 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Chandler, Arizona
“More like a 3+...good but not very good.”
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Live Aqua for 7 nights at the end of February. We have stayed at many adults only all-inclusive including Sandals Whitehouse, Secrets The Vine and Excellence Playa Mujeres.

ROOM: After reading many reviews, I had contacted concierge about upgrading to a suite prior to our arrival. I am so glad I did! The upgrade was money well spent, in my opinion. The problem with being in a suite and checking in at the Club Level is that no orientation is provided. When you get out of your taxi, you are whisked away to the 5th floor from the lobby without having a minute or two to take in your surroundings. The staff at the club were very nice and we were checked into our room rather quickly. Our room on the 4th floor was very nice with a great view. On a couple of occasions, we had to call and ask for bath towels. Our room had been serviced but only 1 bath towel was left or none, again very strange. The first time we went down to the 1st level, where the pool and all the restaurants are located, we couldn’t figure out which elevator we needed to take to get us back to our room. It is similar to a hotel in Vegas, where a certain bank of elevators takes you to certain rooms. However, there are no markings above the elevators and once inside you see the room numbers on the floors although your room number may not be listed, the elevator will still take you there. It is very strange and at times beyond frustrating. All I can say is if your room is on the 4th floor, always use the bank of elevators located near the café. We enjoyed going to the club every morning, sitting on the balcony with the USA Today and a cup of coffee before hitting the gym. We also enjoyed heading up there in the late afternoon for a glass of wine and watch the sunset. But the best part of upgrading to a suite was definitely the ability to reserve a cabana each day! My biggest pet peeve at any all-inclusive we have ever been is the “towel game”. I hate that my husband gets up at the crack of dawn simply to find us chairs, makes me crazy. The fact that he didn’t have to do that for this trip made it even more enjoyable! Not to mention the 20 minute foot massage every day! Talk about spoiled!!

FOOD: We thought the breakfast buffet was OK. We both liked the variety for breakfast that The Vine offered much better. Lunches at Live Aqua were good. We really enjoyed having lunch at AZUR. You must try the crab salad, delish! We ate dinner at all the restaurants and thought AZUR was the best. We actually ate there twice. After our first time, we saw a couple of things on the menu that we wanted to go back and try. However, the second time we ate there, the menu was changed. A bit disappointed but still found something new to try and enjoyed our dinner. We were not impressed with MB. Our steak was just ok and we have had really good steak at other all-inclusive properties we have been to. The Italian place is better for lunch than dinner. Also really enjoyed the Asian restaurant. The Mexican restaurant was good. If you go, be sure to get the Mexican coffee after dinner. Very good. We also enjoyed the sushi bar. Although, they were very busy, the wait can be done at the bar, which is nice. The rolls they make are really good. Be sure not to miss the pastries and the desserts at the café.

POOL & BEACH: Really love the beach at this hotel. You can walk for miles. The water is a beautiful shade of aqua and the sand is so fine. You can also walk out into the water 50 yards or so before it begins to cover your waist. The pools are nice. The first few days we were there, the pool with the swim up bar was really warm. Service around the pool was also very good.

GYM: We found the gym to be rather small and it was the busiest gym we have ever seen at an all-inclusive. Some of the treadmills were not working and there was always a wait for all the cardio machines. There are some free weights but with everything compacted and busy, not much room to really do your own workout. You may get a better work out by walking on the beach.

OVERALL: We had a wonderful vacation and find it really hard to complain when the staff is very attentive and nice. With that said, we will not return to Live Aqua. We just didn’t find it to be at the same level (mainly the food) as Secrets The Vine or Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank luv2travel074

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,586)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney,Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed at the Live Aqua in a group of 7 and we loved the quietness of the hotel due to it being adults only. The MB restaurant and the secret garden restaurants were incredible and well worth the wait each night to get a table. I didn't rate the buffets very much but i guess that's what you get when you go to a buffet.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, we had trouble understanding a few as we don't speak any Spanish but we got by with some hand gestures and nodding!

The pool area was beautiful and I only wish we had of had better weather to enjoy it a little more! the gym facilities were good and the size of the gym was also quite good. A few of the treadmills didn't work and could use a bit of a attention but there were quite a few of them so we just tried a few until we got one that worked.

The one thing i think this hotel could improve on is breakfast. The buffet breakfast wasn't very nice and the other option at the MB restaurant wasn't bad but i think the hotel could benefit from an al a carte option for a nicer breakfast rather than just a buffet that didn't have the most appetising options for breakfast.

The hotel is expensive but if you eat at MB restaurant and the secret garden i think it is well worth it, just avoid the buffet if you can!

Room Tip: We didn't spend a great deal of time in our room so a city view was more than sufficent.
2 Thank Kate013
Missouri
Reviewed March 19, 2014

20 years in Mexico and I have found my new home.Spectacular service from Chef Eric and Chef Alexandro.Drinks were perfect and the suite is the way to go.Nancy in Aqua club is a jewel and made sure everything was perfect.Nail salon is grate too!Pizza by the pool and great coffee drinks in the cafe with sweets to die for.If you need anything please just kindly ask and you will receive.Many thanks to the general manager who took time out to speak to us.Oscar was very helpful too! WE Loved our stay and previously always stayed the most at The Royal now Hyatt Z. Live Aqua has won us over by a landslide ! Just Go and you will be as amazed as Litten Larry and I were.

5 Thank jamminjudy
California,USA
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I spent 3 days at this hotel to attend a meeting. I stayed in one of the few “suite” available.
The room was pretty large and had a nice view of the beach and swimming pools area. As this is a typical “family / couples vacation “kind of hotel, you cannot expect too much in terms of furniture quality. Bed was Ok as well as bathroom…..but, again this is not a 5 star hotel at all.
Lobby, bars and restaurants are pretty nice but you have the feeling that maintenance is becoming an issue as some areas are showing some tiredness.
As this is an “all inclusive “hotel food was OK (but, again, average quality) as well as, in general, service.
Unfortunately, as drinks are free you can find some “drunken” people just walking around…
Overall, an average hotel you can take in consideration if you plan to stay few days in Cancun.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank giogio42
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. Although many travelers find Live Aqua Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, with excellent food options and outstanding service, I do understand that the concept of our hotel does not suit your kind of lifestyle.

I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Alfredo Santamaría
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My husband and I recently returned from a terriffic 5-day getaway at Live Aqua. We've stayed at many other high-end all inclusive hotels in Cancun/Riviera Maya (Secrets The Vine, Le Blanc, Azul Beach, La Amada/Beloved) so our expectations were high, but Live Aqua did not disappoint, and in fact, exceeded our expectations.

We live in Manhattan and have traveled around the world, so we are not strangers to high end hotels, dining and service. We visit Cancun regularly because the many direct flights and abundant hotel options make it easy and a great value from NYC versus other Caribbean destinations. With two small children at home (and some very kind grandparents!) the two of us try to get away alone to Cancun once each winter to regroup, rekindle, reconnect and relax.

Our goals for the trip were simple: relax, work out a bit, get some sun, enjoy some margaritas, and have some great meals. Last winter we stayed at Secrets The Vine just down the beach, and my Husband and I loved it. He wanted to go back there again, but I was itching to try something new, and now we're both glad we did.

We reserved an oceanfront room with terrace, and we got a great one on the fifth floor all the way at the southern corner of the hotel which gave us amazing unobstructed eastern and southern exposures. The room was stylish and contemporary and the bed/linens were comfortable. The bathroom was spacious and well appointed as well.

Our days began in the Gym, which was adequately equipped for quick holiday workouts (but serious gym rats might be a bit disappointed). The outdoor Yoga with Erika was great and I highly recommend trying it while you are there. The pools are great and are nicely heated - not exactly bathtub temperature - but much much more comfortable than any other hotel we've been at in Cancun. The beach is one of the widest I've seen in Cancun, and the water was perfect - no rocks, seaweed, or other impediments. The only downside (as it seems at all these hotels) is the pool chair situation. Cabanas can be reserved by Preferred upgrade guests or al la carte for a fee ($80 - $100 I believe). But it was a bit Wild West when it came to securing pool chairs anywhere near the main pool. People would be out there well before dawn putting books/towels/bottles down to reserve chairs. On the first day my husband happened to wake up early by accident so he went down at 5:45 to check things out and EVERY prime chair was already taken. After that experience, he started sneaking down there at absurd hours and still he found that lots of chairs were already claimed. The pool staff was not of much help with the situation. All of these hotels need to figure out a better way of managing this issue. Poolside service was mixed - some of the waitstaff was excellent and others were less so, but by tipping $1-$2 a round, we found that drinks kept coming at a steady pace.

There was not much in the way of organized activities, except for a few beach volleyball games during the day and a bit of entertainment at night. This was fine by us, but if that's what you are looking for, you may be disappointed.

As far as the food goes, that was a highlight of the trip, for one reason. On their own, the various restaurants (MB - French/Continental, Azul - Mediterranean, Hidden Garden - Pan Asian, Siete -breakfast buffet/Mexican, Varenna - Pizza/Calzone; and the Sea Corner - seafood tacos, etc.) all had tasty food, great ambiance, and excellent service and we enjoyed them all. But, after having read other Trip Advisor reviews, I followed their advice and made a point of meeting the Executive Chef of the resort - Chef Eric De Maeyer, and I am so glad that I did.

Upon checking in I simply asked when it might be possible to meet the Chef, and before I knew it he was greeting my Husband and I in the lobby. We told him our background and some of the great restaurants we've been to and he told us not to worry, he was going to make it his mission to wow us during our stay. And wow us he did! He introduced us to Chef Fernando (MB) and Chef Alejandro (Hidden Garden) and arranged for each of them to prepare special meals for us on nights 2 and 3 of our trip, while Chef Eric himself was going to cook for us on the 4th night (also at MB). Each night we were surprised with off-menu treats that were delicious and beautifully presented, and the chefs came out to check on us several times and see how much we were enjoying our meals. The food was as good as we've had in New York, and the extra attention made us feel incredibly special. We can't thank Chef Eric and his team enough for really setting this vacation apart!

Overall, the staff at the hotel was attentive, courteous and helpful. The grounds and common spaces were all immaculately kept. And as the hotel knew we were there for an anniversary, the evening turndown service was always a surprise: one night we had chilled champagne and strawberries waiting for us; another night our bed was decorated with hearts and the room was lit by candlelight. Small touches but again, made us feel special. We hope to return to Live Aqua again soon.

Room Tip: Corner suites have great balconies - the south side of the building especially.
8 Thank Larisa S
I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this wonderful review and the valuable comments you’ve provided in it. There is nothing as rewarding as hearing our guest saying Wow! in return to our effort. I am very glad to know that we have impressed you with our service, restaurants and selection of food. Comments like yours, with details on what made your stay so memorable are always welcome with great enthusiasm by every staff member, as it is our inspiration for success and new achievements.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations for future travelers, we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría
New London, Minnesota
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We traveled with some friends, their first time to Mexico, to Live Aqua. We had a great experience checking in. Everyone was so helpful and nice. We were able to get an ocean view room that was beautiful. We chose to sit at the beach every day. What a beautiful view. Great service there. Every one works so hard. All of our experiences at the restaurants was great. We were lucky enough to have Chef Eric cook a meal for us. It was fabulous. He is very grateful and proud of all of the hard work his staff does for him and the resort. He has reason to and we also appreciated all of the great service.
We did visit the spa for the hydrotherapy. So relaxing. Great experience
Loved the resort, the location, the food, and the staff.

1 Thank Nancy L
Lampe, Missouri
Reviewed March 18, 2014

After suffering through a horrible winter in the Midwest, my wife and I and another couple couldn't wait to get to Cancun to enjoy the beautiful turquoise waters and sunny skies.
The hotel has the most relaxing atmosphere of any hotel we have ever experienced. From the aromatherapy that hits you upon entering the hotel to the 5 different scents they offer you for your personal enjoyment in each room, it was truly a zen like experience. The multiple infinity pools that connect to a 75 yard long lap pool allows for plenty of room to bask in the sun while enjoying the beautiful waters of Cancun. Three staff members really made this 9 day stay a memorable one:
German, our pools side waiter did a phenomenal job taking care of our every need. Karen Velazquez greeted us every morning with fresh towels and a wonderful smile which made us feel like we were very special. She also made sure we had the cabana of our choice reserved 24 hrs in advance.
Executive chef Eric De Mayer prepared a fabulous meal for us one evening that was outstanding. Where else can you go to get personalized service from the executive chef?
No where that I can think of!
The best restaurant overall was the italian restaurant that is open for lunch and dinner serving great pasta, wood fired pizza and calzones. Unfortunately I don't remember the head chef's name of this restaurant.
The buffet restaurant Seven, had a great breakfast, but felt that the evening buffets were marginal. This should be improved upon.
Our only regret was that the 9 day trip was over too quickly!!!

• Stayed March 2014