Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
$200
$189
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Le Blanc Spa Resort(Cancun)
$886
Agoda.com
$560
$379
galahotels.com
Hard Rock Hotel Cancun(Cancun)
$407
$397
TripAdvisor
9,868 results
All reviewshidden gardenhand massagemb restauranthabanero soupminute foot massageegos baraka barsushi stationazur restaurantmojito barrice artroom serviceswim up barocean fronta garden view roomspecial dinnerbeach bag
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just returned from Cancun and I can't say enough about Live Aqua. I came with a large group and from the moment we walked in the door, our 5 star treatment began. The service throughout our entire stay was perfect and possibly the best I have ever experienced at a resort. The pool area was great with beautiful infinity pools and a separate pool with a swim up bar. There were servers throughout the day that went around the pool and made sure you had everything you needed. The pool was lined with cabanas that could be rented and included a delightful foot massage. Beach was beautiful and also had cabanas for rent, and a beach volleyball court. Restaurants were nice- highly recommend the fish taco hut and pizza place. The best part about our trip was the spa. From service to quality to luxury, this spa was unbelievable, and quite honesty, not badly priced. We definitely plan on returning.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Tali1024
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at Live Aqua Cancun for the second time from Feb 15-22. We REALLY love this place, but I'm going to try to write a helpful review with some constructive criticism and suggestions for improvement. No place is perfect, and reviews that simply gush about how amazing everything is aren't always that helpful.

CHECK IN / AQUA CLUB-
We arrived around 4:30pm and found the aromatherapy in the lobby to be subtle and calming...not at all overpowering. We originally booked a garden view room through a United Vacations package, but I emailed the hotel a couple of months in advance of our arrival and arranged an upgrade to a Viento Suite for an additional $120 per night plus tax. The private check-in was very nice. We were greeted by Fernanda, as well as Eluid and Lorena. We were never approached about timeshare/vacation club like we were on our last visit when we checked in at the front desk. We upgraded primarily for the daily cabana and foot massage included with the suites. The Aqua Club was a nice inclusion with the suite, but I wouldn't pay just to upgrade to club level. It's really no big deal. They have top shelf liquor throughout the property, not just there. In fact, I think the larger bars had a better selection. Aqua Club access gets you a different color wristband.

ROOM:
We were disappointed that we did not get the 6th floor suite that we were promised. It was supposedly being held for us, but that didn't happen. We were on the 3rd floor, which still had a nice view, but 6th floor would have been better....not a huge deal, but not what we were expecting. The room and bed were very comfortable with a nice bathroom with a whirlpool tub and a large shower. Housekeeping was very good. We didn't always get turndown service because they would show up at 5:30-6:00pm while we were getting ready for dinner. We did get a rice design on the bed which was a nice surprise. One thing we did not appreciate was the conch shell horn that they used around 7:00am every morning as a Mayan ritual (like a wake up call). it certainly woke us up every morning, even with the balcony door closed. Is it too much to ask to sleep til 8:00am on vacation?

We got locked out of our room one day because the key reader wasn't working. They said it was their policy that one of us had to be in the room while maintenance was there fixing it. So while I was at the spa my husband spent over an hour of his private cabana time sitting in the room waiting for them to get it fixed. He wasn't pleased. They should re-think the policy. We did return to our room that evening to champagne (which was good) and chocolate covered strawberries. We thought maybe this was due to the inconvenience, but were not sure.

FOOD:
We love food as you can tell from my pictures.There are plenty of dining options here now. You won't go hungry. We only experienced one extended wait time for dinner and they seem to turn tables more quickly than they did on our last visit. The food here is very good overall...excellent by all inclusive standards. I know food is very subjective, but they really strive for quality here. A couple of the specific things that I noted last time that needed improvement were changed. They listen to feedback. I only had a few items the whole week that I didn't care for (a piece of overcooked fish, a few things too salty).The food at the alacarte restaurants was always fresh and hot, obviously cooked to order. Portions were typically small, which was great for us because we like to try several different things. The arugula pizza at Varenna was awesome! I could eat that every day.

We had the pleasure of meeting Chef Eric and were treated to a fabulous dinner at MB..filet and lobster. Absolutely delicious! This was a larger portion than what you get from the regular menu. Chef Eric is an asset to this resort. He genuinely cares about his guests and the food they serve. We were also treated to a special dinner at Siete from Chef Javier which was good as well.

Room service was good, but they made a couple of changes to the menu that I didn't care for. No more filet mignon from room service :(...I even asked. They changed the creme brulee, which used to be amazing, to a mango creme brulee which wasn't as good. The nachos should have real cheese instead of nacho cheese sauce.

The only food that I can say was genuinely bad was the pizza at Azur. They need to just take it off the menu. The pizza at Varenna is excellent! At Azur it looked like frozen pizza on pre-made crust. It was beneath the high standards that they have in place at this resort, and not worthy of a spot on the menu.

DRINKS:
Mixed drinks were good, but varied depending on who made them. Real fruit was frequently used. Top shelf liquor was available at ALL of the bars now...Don Julio, Grey Goose, Ketel One, JW Black, Crowne Royal, Chivas Regal, Captain Morgan, Courvoisier, Bombay Sapphire, just to name a few. My husband thought the wine was decent, but I didn't care for it. They really need more beer options...just Dos Equis on tap (light and dark). They had Sol and Tecate light in cans. I would have loved a bottle of Bohemia or Negro Modelo, but maybe that's too much to ask at an all-inclusive. The coffee shop was nice, but would be better if they used a real expresso machine instead of an instant one.

POOLS/BEACH:
Excellent! The weather was wonderful. The pools were very warm! They were heated every day of our trip. The beach is perfect! The waves varied, and a couple of days the sea was almost calm...really nice. Other days the waves were stronger, but you could always go in. I loved the cabana and foot massage every day. The towel game was obviously in full effect here from what I saw. I was pleased we didn't have to participate.

SPA:
I had an 80 minute fusion massage from Ivette at the spa which was very nice. She wasn't afraid to use extra pressure once I asked. The spa was very nice and relaxing, though not large. I was looking forward to using the Eucalyptus steam room, but it was out of service the day I went. They offered to let me come back the next day and use it, but I never made it back. The 80-minute massage came to about $155 (plus tip).

WIFI:
Good overall. We had trouble trying to get an outgoing facetime call to ring sometimes. We went to the main concierge desk and they were able to boost the signal to our room somehow and then it worked flawlessly...so if you're having trouble with the wifi, ask them for help.

SERVICE:
The service really outstanding all around! This is a well-trained staff. They are so friendly and genuine and will go out of their way to serve you. I was impressed at how well covered the resort was in terms of number of employees. The hotel was full most of our trip and we really never waited for a drink, someone was always checking on us, sometimes bringing us another drink before we asked. On busy nights there were three bartenders at the AKA bar. Staff was everywhere around the pool. When we spoke to some of the staff we got the impression that they were happy and were paid relatively well. One employee mentioned that they were empowered by management to do what they need to do to make guests happy. It showed.

I always find it a little strange when people go through a laundry list of employees that made their trip special, but now I understand why. I'm sorry that I don't remember everyones names but here it goes. Santiago, Mario and Rodrigo at the AKA bar were great. They always had Don Julio Silver for us! Antonio at Azur went out of his was to give us excellent service...he is a real asset to that restaurant. Marco, Monserrat and Mayra were always coming by at the pool or beach to make sure we had everything we needed. Octavio, Violetta and Carla at the towel hut were so friendly and helpful each day. Jesus gave us great service at Siete for breakfast. Enrique at the beach bar and pool bar made the best smashed margaritas! The two guys that worked at the coffee shop were so nice...I can't remember their names. We recognized Jonathan who used to work at the AKA bar two years ago, but is a supervisor now...he really took good care of us. Last but not least, Chef Eric. He took the time to come find us and introduce himself and prepare a wonderful meal for us. When we checked out Eric and Eluid (guest services manager) came up to the Aqua Lounge to say goodbye. That was a really nice touch. Chef Eric also emailed me a bunch of recipes after we returned home.

TIPPING:
We always tipped the staff, probably more than necessary, but the service was deserving. I think you will receive great service no matter what, but tipping always helps. Try to budget at least $20-$30 per day to tip servers, bartenders, housekeeping, etc. They work very hard. We ended up tipping considerably more that that because my husband just can't help himself (he used to be a food server). Anything is appreciated, but not expected. They work very hard.

The service is what really made this trip special. We really did receive VIP treatment, which I know everyone doesn't get, but they strive for excellence across the board. They are continually improving. This resort has a 4.5 star rating on Tripadvisor, and is rated #4 out of 173 hotels in Cancun. I can tell you that it is well deserved. The service really made it a 5-star experience for us. Live Aqua feels like home now and we will definitely return again!

Room Tip: The views are better on high floors. Upgrade to a suite if you can budget it. Rooms in front of the elevators will be noisier.
11  Thank 1autumn1
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I spent a week in Cancun at this all inclusive resort. We travel to Mexico/ Caribbean yearly and have stayed in many all inclusive resorts. This was a good one. Not the best, not 5 Star, but a very nice place.
We were promptly greeted upon our arrival with smiles and our bags stored. As we checked in the agent at the desk was prompt, courteous and as nice as she could be. My only question here was, as we discussed our room, I inquired if I might upgrade to one of their suites (something I was happy to pay for!). Much to my surprise my request was blown off and ignored! I thought hotels made money on upgrades? Oh well, our room was ready so we were excited to go get unpacked. It was nice the room was ready as we arrived about noon!
Our room was nice, well prepared for us, comfortable, with a stocked refrigerator of pop, beer and snacks. I was a little surprised that there was no bar in the room as every other all inclusive resort we've stayed at in the last ten years or so has had one. Oh well, that wasn't going to ruin the vacation. The room had a couple of use stains on the curtains and the walls but overall was good. We loved the balcony and got alot of use and enjoyment drinking coffee out there in the morning and enjoying the sunrise.
The beach and pool areas were nice, well maintained and thoroughly enjoyable. Unfortunately they play the age old game there of folks getting up at 6 am, walking out to reserve a beach or pool chair and then ignoring the chair until one pm when they wander down. God, I hate that!
The restaurants were good. Some of the menu items were really unique. You HAVE to try the Habanero Soup! It was unbelieveable. Drinks in the bars were good with premium liquor available.
Unfortunately, I came down with good ol' Montezuma's revenge. First time I've had it in years. Guess that's just the luck of the draw. I never ate anything that tasted or seemed spoiled. The chefs all did a really nice job.
So, you ask, why is it not a five star? I've said mostly really good things about the place.
Well, a five star resort doesn't have soiled curtains, they don't have rags for hand towels in the resort bathrooms. I really liked the idea of the handtowels instead of paper or blowers, but many of them looked like something I'd use as a rag at home. A five star resort has better soundproofing for their rooms. When ever anyone wandered down the hall at night you could hear their footsteps, anything they said (or yelled) in the rooms! It was really quite noisy. One of the elevators on our side of the hotel (the southside) was out the whole week we were there. Of the other two elevators, one didn't always work and it sometimes left a significant wait time especially when people were hauling luggage up or down. I don't see that as five star? One day we also had water running down the staircase from an obvious leak someplace. That the resulted in shutting down the water to bathrooms on one of the main floors of the hotel. Again, didn't see that as five star-esp with no explanation as to what happened. Not sure if they used towels to clean it up or what, but we got no hand towels or wash cloths for our room that day?
Loved the aroma therapy, the shampoos, soaps etc. in the bathroom, the coffee shop, all the meals and the spirit and enthusiasm of the staff.
They just need to work on a few things and it'll be perfect! Thank you for a great vacation!

7  Thank rhch
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

This RESORT was phenomenal. . The staff was incredible.. very clean rooms.. great food.. we had just gotten engaged and it also happened to be my birthday the week we had came.. not only did I have a beautiful vacation.. but they made my time there unforgettable. . I was escorted on my birthday to the pool bar area and given a bed to lay on .. in about an hour while I was soaking up the sun I had the staff sing me happy birthday with a piece of cake while drinking on my vodka mojitos (Saul is a very enjoyable bartender) while jumpung in the pool I had more of the staff singing to me with another piece of cake!.. as the day went on.. my fiancé had secretly planned a couples massage..OH MY GOD AMAZING!! I came into the hotel room to champagne chocolate covered strawberries more cake and a minion on my bed made out of colorful rice!! The lobster restaurant was fantastic and yes they sang to me again gave me a cake and a hat made out of a napkin :)They treated us like we were the king and queen up until the last night! It was the most relaxing vacation I had ever been on.. with the aromatherapy calm serene music and pleasurable people.. I was in heaven! I highly recommend Live Aqua.. VERY REFRESHING!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ela0519
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Live Aqua was amazing. I read all the reviews and all the information was accurate. The service was amazing from the time we entered the hotel to the time we left. The waiters and bartenders are top notch. They are all so friendly and helpful. They truly know how to make their guests feel welcome. The room was gorgeous. We were celebrating my husband's birthday and while we were at dinner, they decorated the room. It was such a great surprise. The food is amazing. You have plenty to choose from and the waiters are always so helpful in helping you decide what you want. We stayed on the 5th floor so we had access to the club lounge. That was nice, but we did not access it as much as we should have as the service everywhere else is great. My only suggestion is that there should be a rack to put your suitcases on. Other than that, this is a resort that you want to stay at. The lay out is perfect so you don't feel as though you are on top of others on the beach or pool. Perfect place and we will be back!!! Book your trip now as you will not be sorry.

Room Tip: we stated in room 5010 and it was perfect. Overlooked ocean and you had beautiful sunrises that you watched from your balcony.
3  Thank 0118Jean