“Great time soaking up the sun!”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #6 of 181 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great time soaking up the sun!”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My wife and I, along with another couple (close friends of ours), just got back from staying at Live Aqua in Cancun. We were celebrating our respective wedding anniversaries. Overall, we had a blast!
The pool is amazing! It is so picturesque looking out at the Caribbean Sea while sipping on a cocktail in the infinity pool. It's quite relaxing! I want to say thanks to Andres for all of his hard work. He made our days by the pool unforgettable. He took such good care of us.
Myra was another hard worker that went out of her way to take care of us, bringing us drinks and multiple plates of guacamole.
Thank you Andreas and Myra!

The Food:
My wife and I are vegetarians. After contacting the resort a few weeks prior to our trip, I received an email from Eric, the head chef at the resort. That caught me by surprise and I was very pleased that he took time out of his busy schedule to address our dietary concerns. In fact, when we arrived, Eric and the head chefs at each of the restaurants on site came to welcome us. That was amazing! They told us to ask for them when we arrived at any of the restaurants and they would take care of us. I was pleased to hear that. However, I must say, that is easier said than done. These chefs are very busy and the last thing I want to do is interrupt them while they are hard at work. So we never sought any of the head chefs out. Instead, we would mention to the waiters that we were vegetarians. They pretty much came up with a canned response that they could whip up some pasta and veggies. We were fine with that. However, in more than one case, when it was supposed to be vegetarian, it was not. A suggestion to the resort, have the head chefs of each restaurant make the waiting staff aware that there are people with dietary concerns on site and encourage the waiting staff to take care of them. I'm not just talking about vegetarians, but people with allergies (shell fish, gluten, etc.) as well. Maybe have one or two options or have them ask the head chef for suggestions. We're not too picky, but that's just a suggestion.
I will say this though, the morning buffet is pretty darn tasty and has a lot to offer. I want to especially say thanks to Maria at the Taco bar as she makes an awesome veggie taco!
Last but not least, the chefs that went way beyond the call of duty were Esteban and Venessa the Sushi restaurant. I mentioned that I was a vegetarian and they without hesitation said they would prepare a "special" meal for me. And they did! It was spectacular! So we went back a few more times and each time they went out of their way to take care of us. Thank you so much!

I'd like to also give a special thanks to the room staff that greeted us each night with special anniversary designs, champagne and/or chocolates. It helped make our anniversary trip very memorable! Thanks again!

The two biggest cons in my mind:
1). noise in the hallway travels right through the paper-thin walls
2). shower pressure goes in and out and is quite annoying, but with a little patience and persistence, it works out

All in all, we had a lot of fun! We like to hop around a lot, but if we came back to Cancun, we would definitely consider returning to Live Aqua.

Room Tip: Find Andres and/or Myra by the pool. They are awesome! Find Esteban and Venessa at the Sushi bar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WheelsOfConfusion
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Thank you for sharing your detailed feedback, which helped us to identify the areas of opportunity encountered during your stay, I do regret that we did not meet all your expectations during the time you spent with us and assure you that this is not typical of service here at Live Aqua Cancun. Let me assure you that all the points you discussed in your review are taken into consideration and will be used to bring our services to the level where we can meet and even exceed every expectation of our highly appreciated guests.

Thank you for mentioning the positive sides of your vacation with us and the services that made your stay more comfortable. It will be an honor to be your hosts in the future and change your previous unfavorable impression. I remain at your service if you require any assistance in the future.

Alfredo Santamaría

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,585)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Little Silver, New Jersey
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Been to Cancun over a dozen times, hotel was clean and staff was very friendly. The food was great, they make you feel right at home. Our last night was extra special as the Manager Jahaziel and Chef Javier Joaquin made us feel like we owned the place. They prepared a feast for the 10 of us that was out of this world. Not only was the food great but there warmth and friendliness will never be forgotten...

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jimmy C
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 5, 2014

If you've ever stayed at an "all inclusive" resort ANYWHERE, I'm sure you've experienced what I have. Bad food, cheesy entertainment, loud drunks...etc. It is with great pleasure that I can say that there IS a spot that delivers...and LIVE AQUA is it. From the moment you walk into the light, airy and modern decor, you will immediately get the feeling that you are in a retreat. The staff was amazing. For 10 days, every single employee we passed greeted us with a smile. You felt welcome and appreciated. The rooms were well maintained and included a stocked mini bar. Every day held a surprise. Either in the room, or spelled out in the sand on the beach. It was magical! The wide variety of restaurants and bars made sure that you never got bored. And the food was really, REALLY good! A TIP...ask your server to have the Chef make you something OFF the menu. Their chefs are top notch and love to show off their prowess in the kitchen. We had lobster, sea bass, filet mignon, shrimp...the list goes on. There's a great little fish taco restaurant on the ocean for ceviche, guacamole and ice cold beer. Great for lunch! So many bars, pools and chairs on the beach that you will never feel crowded. Even when the resort is at full capacity. Great mall across the street with everything a shopaholic could desire. Casino 20 minutes down the road. I'm in love with this resort and will be back soon. Thank you to everyone at LIVE AQUA for one of the best vacations ever.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Katie s
Thank you very much for taking your time and sharing with us such a positive review of the time you spent with us. I am very pleased to learn from your comments that you were pleased with our restaurants and especially with our staff.

We appreciate your review and recommendations, we are looking forward to your next visit to Live Aqua Cancun.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I started getting antsy for this years vacation weeks in advance and started reading all of the reviews on TripAdvisor about Live Aqua which set my expectations very high in advance...and I must say that I was VERY IMPRESSED with this property and the staff!

Despite a slight wait upon check-in (that we could have avoided if not willing to wait for the top floor ocean view room), and one problem with a lengthy wait for a 6-person table for dinner, everything was top notch! The food was especially good across the board but it takes a day or so to determine the lay of the land. There is a good buffet style restaurant that I would only recommend for breakfast as their are better choices for lunch and dinner. And then for lunch, I would recommend Azure and the Pasta/Wood-oven fired pizza restaurants (especially the grouper sandwich at Azure which I and my travel companions became very fond of as a daily special). For dinner, MB, Hidden Garden, and the up-charge Inlaakech Lobster & Grill are the very finest in dining options! I'm a foodie and a pretty critical guy...trust me on this...Chef Eric and the entire Live Aqua staff know what they are doing when it comes to cuisine! I might pass on the Sushi Bar...but could rave on and on about just about every other bite of food that I had along with 5-star service. Splurge one night and let them grill you a steak and lobster tail after enjoying every other item on the menu through family style multi-course servings...you'll explode in delight!

You do have to get up early in the morning if you do not pay the extra to reserve a bed...but I found no hassle in reserving the same 3 beds and chairs for our party of 6 at the pool with the swim up bar. Throw some towels and a hat or suntan lotion on a spot, and then go about your morning routine until ready to return. You'll be assured to find your spot reserved and look for Luis, truly a delight to get to know and he'll make you feel like royal family. Tip him well...you can bet he'll earn it and then some! Great pools, best spot of beach on the strip, great workout facility, directly across the street from a nice mall where you can kill time if an afternoon shower beckons a break from the sun, nice, nice, nice! See there again in the last week of January 2015!

Room Tip: I don't think the 5th floor concierge room would be worth it from walk-through but sure the suit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Timothy C
Alfredo S, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you very much for such a generous and detailed review. I am delighted to read your comments and learn that you have been impressed with the quality of our food, our restaurants and especially with our service. I’m very proud of our friendly and efficient staff, so it is fantastic to hear they were able to assist you in making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

We will be looking forward to your next visit to Live Aqua Cancun, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance in the future.

Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I really loved my stay at this hotel, it was very relaxing. They give you a hand massage after check in. Even though the hotel was full you still receive great service. We were there during New Years Eve and they had a great party at the beach. The pool is great and the view is amazing (we got the room with the ocean view) If you have the time Don't miss the spa it is great

I don't usually write bad things on my reviews but this is something I have to say because I don't think was right and I felt they ripped me off. When you arrive after your hand massage they invite you to go to a presentation for "Vacation Club" supposed to be 90 min. We went because we take at least 3 vacations a year and wanted to see what they had to offer. The guy that invites you when you arrive at hotel told us we could get 2 massages for the price of one if we went. The day of our appointment he called our room and told us we had to bring the $120 cash to him in order to get the offer. We received a voucher for the 2 massages after our presentation. I asked about the money to the lady that gave us the vouchers and she said that was your deal with him. I still to this day think he took the money for himself, he did not give us a receipt and he did not give the money to anyone at hotel. I did not want to report it because I did not want him to loose his job, but it was very uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Get one in a high floor if you can.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovevacation77
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We just stayed at this resort last week for a four-day trip and had a great time. We've stayed in the Cancun area before, but not in the hotel zone because we were leery about this area being too "touristy." Thankfully, we never felt overwhelmed by tourists, especially at Live Aqua. In fact, we kept wondering where the people were at the resort even though we were told that the hotel was at full occupancy. This is definitely a resort you would go to to have a nice, relaxing time unwinding next to the pools and not one where you would expect to see the party-hardy vacationers. As an adults only resort, it was really nice to get away from kids running around everywhere. The resort is ideally located from the airport, just a 20 minute taxi ride away.

The highlight of our trip was definitely the variety and quality of the food at the numerous restaurants - all led by Chef Eric. We were fortunate enough to be invited by Chef Eric to be his guests at the MB restaurant one night. (BTW, if you see him, make it a point to say hi to him as he's very approachable and an nteresting person.) At that dinner, Chef Eric prepared an exceptional meal for us and made it a point to stop our table by several times to explain the servings and make sure we were enjoying the evening. It felt like we were at an exquisite food tasting. Chef Eric also surprised us when we returned to our room after dinner by making sure that there was a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries. What a classy move! Thanks again Chef Eric.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Aqua Suite. It was really nice and frankly, too big since we never really used the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 952golfer
I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this review and the valuable comments you’ve provided in it. I have no doubts that your review will be of a great help for many travelers while making their decision to visit Live Aqua Cancun. Thank you for the warm words regarding our team, service, food and general relaxing atmosphere, which we try to provide to our guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on many future occasions, which we will be happy to make very special for you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Live Aqua was one of the best resorts I have been to. It was very relaxing and all the rooms have ocean views. The aromatherapy in the rooms and throughout the hotel was an added bonus. The staff was very friendly and did everything they could to help you. The food was good, however, I wish they had more traditional Mexican food available. All in all it was a great time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple