Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
$130
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
9,861 results
All reviewshidden gardenhand massagemb restauranthabanero soupminute foot massageegos baraka barsushi stationazur restaurantmojito barrice artroom serviceswim up barocean fronta garden view roomspecial dinnerbeach bag
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Out of the all-inclusive and non-inclusive properties we've visited in Cancun, nothing compares to Live Aqua. Our first visit to this property was over the recent Christmas holiday, and we chose a Fuego Suite to take advantage of the wrap around views encompassing the ocean front and lagoon from the ninth floor. We were not disappointed. The views were spectacular, and the room layout had a comfortable "apartment" feel to it.

After coming from the snow and sub-zero temperatures we are enduring in the Midwest, it was special to be greeted by the Cancun warmth, but the greeting we received upon our Aqua Club Lounge check-in from the hotel staff was even more special. Thank you to all!

It's impossible to begin this review without first conveying our amazement at the hospitality genuinely expressed throughout our visit by Executive Chef Eric and his "partner in crime" at the MB restaurant, Chef Fernando Zavala Sigler. If there are better ambassadors to any other hotel property in the world, I haven't met them in forty years of extensive travel. Thank you Chef Eric and Chef Fernando!!

As fellow TA reviewers have noted, the service at this hotel is outstanding, and our experience was no different. Without exception, each and every person went out of their way to accommodate our every wish, so make sure that you "just ask" for anything you desire. The staff will do everything within their means to make it happen. Regrettably, it took us a few days to fully appreciate, and then to fully capitalize on this outstanding trait, so don't be shy about your wishes!

To condense this review, we'll note that we were pleased with all the physical aspects of this property. The location, grounds, pools, beachfront, and room were overall worthy of a five star hotel. The MB restaurant was certainly up to that standard, and the diverse choices of cuisine in all the restaurants insured that we looked forward to our daily dining experiences.

We only have two suggestions for improvement. "Spa" hotel or not, we were disappointed that the rooms didn't have better lighting options. Dimmer switches in the rooms would seem to be a "no brainer" since they would significantly contribute to creating personal ambience. Minor to most, but it was disappointing that a full size ironing board wasn't at least available on request.

In summary, we felt this property was up to the five star rating it typically receives, and in spite of the expense, actually a very good value. If Chef Eric and staff are still here next year, it will be hard not to return.

5  Thank Irish_Willow1
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review; it’s a privilege to know that Live Aqua Cancun lives up to your expectations in every aspect of the most relaxing vacation: food and beverage selection, facilities and comfort of your room, and certainly, the service, which is the greatest and probably most important element of our resort.

We are looking forward to your next visit; do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Live Aqua. Excellent food, property, pool, beach and staff. A special thanks to Andreas our server at the beach. He went above and beyond to make our stay memorable!
Our only complaint was that the rooms were quite noisy....much door slamming and talking clearly audible in our room.
Overall we had a wonderful stay and will return next year!

Room Tip: choose a room away from the elevators
6  Thank Kristi N
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Thank you so much for this review, and especially for your kind comments about our greatest asset: the Live Aqua Cancun staff, I have already passed my congratulations to Andreas for such exceptional service.

Thank you again for all your kind comments. We are looking forward to your visit next year; please do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

This hotel has the best service of any I have ever visited, including five star leading hotels of the world. As me and my family noticed on the last day of our stay, "the answer was never no." Example: one restaurant serves only pizza and pasta, but we wanted salad. Can we have a special salad prepared and brought over? Yes. Did the staff bring extra dressing? Of course. You can ask any employee of the hotel for help and they will never point you to someone else, they will immediately resolve your issue. It's quite incredible. They will also give you all kinds of special, cool, treatment if you ask for it.

Which brings me to the highlight of this review, the outstanding chef and all around nice guy Eric. Eric is the head chef of the resort, he's in charge of all of the restaurants and spends his evenings making the guests fine cuisine at MB (the best of the restaurants here, IMHO). What you need to do is, the first night you are here, go to MB and ask to be introduced to Eric. He will make you a specially cooked dinner that will be incredible. He first made us fillet topped with lobster tail in a rattatouille sauce that was delicious. He then asked if he could cook for us the next night as well. Thinking he was just being polite, I thought we should decline -- but he actually wanted to cook for us again! So we went for it and were treated to juicy, medium rare veal chops with lobster, and a delicious al dente cooked fettucine with a sauce of calamari, scallops and shirmp. As if all of this were not enough, my mom wasn't feeling well, so Eric offered to send her a doctor -- no charge. He also personally arranged for our trip to the airport the last day, sparing us an expensive cab ride, and packed us lunches. After the trip he emailed receipes of all of the dishes that he made us and others. OK, so first thing to do - make friends with Eric when you get there. Your trip will be unbelievable. Great guy and outstanding chef.

The resort randomly dishes out other perks to make you happy as well. Case in point: went to the spa, if you don't get a service, there's a charge of I think $25 to use the facilities. But, they let me go free. The spa is awesome, there's an attendant who puts you through this cycle of steam baths and cold plunges that are completely relaxing. Use the spa.

The Aqua club: We upgraded to the club (5th level). The benefit here is that you get to use the club room, which has lots of comfortable chairs and couches you can lounge around on, and an endless supply of booze, water, juice, pastries, and a few cooked foods. This upgrade was worth it to us because we had three people in the hotel room. So it was almost like some extra living space that opened up the room. Was also useful when it rained. You can hang out in here and watch something on your ipad, read, etc. Pretty views of the ocean and the bay on the other side.

The pool: Minor pet peeve is that they charge for the cabanas and daybeds, which are all over the place, making it hard to find chairs when the hotel is busy (people reserve chairs early in the morning, so if you're not an early riser, you'll likely be relegated to the beach, although that's great too - I actually preferred it - and there's no shortage of chairs there). The pool itself is terrific with three different areas (a lap pool kind of thing that has warmer water, a round infiniti pool with colder water, and another private pool with a bar off the main pool). The beach is white sand, and the water is clear and warm. There are some waves, but nothing too dramatic.

Restaurants: As discussed, the food is really good here. Not typical all inclusive crap. I looked forward to each meal. Siete is the best for breakfast (expansive buffet w/ egg stations, reminiscient of an upscale Vegas buffet). Lunch is best at Azure. Highly reccomnend the chicken sandwich w/ avocado. Dinner is best at MB, as discussed (note, a shirt w collar is required). Chef Medina at Siete will also cook a special dinner for you that is wonderful (and will make the best flambee coffee! - ask for it!).

Nightlife: There's a small club/bar, and another bar downstairs by a pool table. But note, this is not a spring breaky/wild place. It's upscale and subdued. Mostly couples. Lots of people from different countries. I found the nightlife in Cancun -- although we did go between Xmas and New Years -- very subdued. You will see the same people over and over here throughout your stay, and at the buffets, it feels a little "cruise ship." LOL.

Random: There are three funny parrots that fly in circles over the resort and nest on a little stick by the pool from 11-12 every day, skuaking away and eating seeds. Just another one of the little touches that makes this place unique.

Complaints: Hardly any but the WIFI is not good. It's slow and difficult to stream a show or movie over Netflix. They need to fix this. Also the rooms should be made up earlier, often this did not happen until afternoon. But like anything else, if you tell them, they will do it right away.

Overall: This is the best resort/hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff is fantastic and the facilities are first rate. Nothing is not working or in need of replacement, or dirty. On par with any 5 star (Ritz, Peninsula) in the U.S., but a bargain by comparison. You will be fully taken care of from the moment you arrive and will not need to worry about anything.

Room Tip: Club level. The middle of the hotel is going to have the best views, so you aren't obstructed by the overhangs on the sides.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Marc P

I would like to express my gratitude for the time you have taken to share this detailed review and the valuable comments you’ve provided in it. I have no doubts that your review will be of a great help for many travelers while making their decision to visit Live Aqua Cancun. Thank you for the warm words regarding our team, service, food and general relaxing atmosphere, which we try to provide to our guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on many future occasions, which we will be happy to make very special for you.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I visted the resort the week of Novemeber 8th 2013. My sister and I went for her 40th birthday (you can read her review as well Carolinamidiwfe).

Arrival:
The resort was beautiful. When you enter the smell is amazing and you can see through the windows to the pools and beyond to the ocean. Check in was fast and friendly. However, we were not offered cocktails nor were we offered hand massages although I saw other patrons reciving them. We were greeted and given a map of the resort but no tour. The resort is not big but a tour would have been helpful.

Room:
We had a deluxe ocean front room with a terrace. The room was very pretty. The bed and linens were amazing. The terrace was big and offered a private and lovely view. The mini bar was stocked with snacks and beer. The bathroom was nice but not 5 star resort nice.

The pools and beach:
If you are a late sleeper and a pool person this is not the resort for you. The pools are amazing but there are about 1/4 the amount of chairs needed. We were on the beach by seven and the pool chairs were Either occupied or had place saving towels on them every morning. The swim up bar is the party pool and while we wanted to swim up for a drink it was impossible due to the lack of seating. There is one towel stand and it is quite a treck from the beach. The beach had plenty of seating although the chairs were kind of cheap. The umbrellas were almost impossible to errect. My sistrer is a skin cancer survivor so there is no sitting in the sun for us. Every single day we struggled to put up the umbrellas. One day an employee actually refused my request to help me put one up. The beach itself was beautiful and the ocean was amazing. It is worth the walk past where the waves break to enjoy the beautiful water!

Service:

The service we got was generally very good but the hotel seems really understaffed. Often the staff seemed confused by simple requests. I ordered coffee from room service and it baffled the person so much i had to just say never mind and give up. The wait staff in the Aqua Lounge seemed down right annoyed that you were making requests of them. At the restaraunts the wait staff was attentive, friendly, and helpful. The bar tenders in the lobby bar were friendly and fun and made drinks for us that they thought we would like based on our previous orders.
Servers on the beach and at the pool are few and far between so if you get lucky and catch one tip big the first time and you will get great service the rest of the time you are sitting in that spot.

The spa:
The spa was amazing. The waiting area was delightful with some pleasent hydrotherapies and a sauna and steam room. The relaxation room was beautiful. i could have easily fallen asleep. I had a treatment everyday and every one was incredible. On the final day they were unable to perform the treatment I booked and they comped me a longer treatment and were very apologetic. The spa was probably the best part of the whole resort well worth the money.

The Aqua lounge:
We bought in to the aqua lounge because of bad weather and it was well worth it. It is comfy and has beautiful views. They have a liquor, champaign, and beer, as well as light fare at all meal times and snacks through out the day. I would highly reccomend upgrading to this.

The food and bars:
During the day you can get drinks from Azure bar, swim up bar, and the swing bar on the ocean. The swing bar is a delight.The Egos bar was beautiful but the music was too loud. It wants to be a night club in a non night club environment. The bar outsiude MBs is where most of the resort seems to hang out at night. It very nice with friendly fast service. It has a cool atmosphere with a little library and a pool table. The bar outside of azure was beautiful at night.
MB's was amazing we ate there twice. Azure is a great place for lunch but the dinner menu is a little odd. Sea corner has a very small menu but the atmosphere and views are awesome. I wished we had more time so we could lunch there again. The room service menu is so limited it was hard to pick something, it took so long I had to call to see if it was even coming, and it was ice cold. The Hidden Garden had a beautiful atmosphere.

We ate at the buffett for breakfast most of our stay. It was very good with a lot of choices and decent services.
Unfortunatly, I got food posioing here on the last full day of our trip. I understand that these things happen when you travel and I was able to not let it ruin the last day of my trip although I was too sick to eat much by the end of the day. I ended up on Cipro after a week of horrible gastrointestinal issues. Again, I know these things just happen but I think it is worth a mention.

A few things worth note that might bother some:
The elevators are so slow it is almost as if they are broken. Any time you can take the stairs do it. The hallway to our room was lovely with floor to ceiling windows and delightful aromatherapy. However, when you got to the end of the hall where our room was tucked it was dirty. Dusty mirrors and benches. Our neighbors room service and trash sat outside for most of our stay. There are no robes or slippers in the rooms but you can call for them and trhey will bring them up. A note I would make about house keeping is that the turn down service came very early. Every day I had to ask them to come back. One day they came at 4:30. Oddly this hotel did not have do not disturb signs. It was my sisters 40th birthday. I mentioned this several times including ina pre trip email to the resort and she got nothing not even a happy birthday.

Overall, It was a great trip. We enjoyed the nice things about Live aqua and if there was a special I would probably go back for a 3 or 4 night stay. If you are used to true 5 star travel and planning a longer stay you probably would not be happy here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank emily m

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. I regret you weren't pleased with your stay, and that the resort didn't live up to your expectations. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in, we have been recognized by almost all our TripAdvisor followers, as one of the hotels with the best staff in Cancun. I regret that service received during your vacation did not live up to the expectations of luxurious and relaxing experience. I would exhort any guest who is having a bad experience to seek help while on the premises so that a suitable solution can be found.

Regarding the food poisoning, I can assure you that the circumstances you described are not typical with the high standards that we strive to provide, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks. We are committed to serving food and beverages that adheres to the highest standards of food hygiene and safety. The hotel runs a "food safety management program" that is subject to constant internal and external audits. Every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure your next visit with us will be without any incidents.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I just returned from Christmas week at Live Aqua. The facility was okay, although the internet did not work, the TV's broke often and the AC was not reliable. The restaurants were insufficient for the crowd and long waits were needed to get in. However, I have stayed at many all inclusives in Cancun and Playa and these things happen.
The major issue with Live Aqua is the alcohol.......or lack thereof. It is water with flavoring. I tasted straight brand liquors that I drink regularly (Jack Daniel's, Jim Beam, Jose Cuervo)...all were water with coloring and flavoring. As a test, the group I was with each did 10 shots of Tequila.......nobody was in the least bit drunk. I have had watered down liquor at resorts before....but this was water, period. This place is a scam.......please avoid!

22  Thank lawrence g