“Amazing place”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas, USA
“Amazing place”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stop reading all the nit-picky reviews on here. This place is flawless. Beautiful place with amazing service on all ends. Good food and a nice variety of restaurants. The variety in terms of pools was great. Service on the beach was a nice plus. Oh and the number of bars is great too.

Review collected in partnership with Viva Stay

7 Thank LSalman5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,604)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fairfax, Iowa
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I visited Live Aqua from August 9-15th in celebration of our 15th wedding anniversary. This was our second all inclusive experience- the first was in Jamaica. This was our first visit to Cancun. We selected Live Aqua based upon the reviews, and while it was an "ok" experience, it certainly was not five star.

When we checked in there was no warm greeting or hand massage. Instead, we were immediately given prices to upgrade our room. We declined and were then transferred over to the "concierge staff" under the guise of learning about the property. Yes, we did receive a nice booklet about the property, but her primary focus was to get us to the hotel's timeshare presentation. Really? At a 5 star hotel?

From there, we visited our room. And we could see why they were trying to sell the upgrade. The room itself was fine (minus the telephone that literally fell apart in my husbands hands and the outlets that didn't work) but as part of their "beautification project" as they called it, our view was of construction staff, broken fence posts and trash. My husband called the front desk about this (three times), and the result: a staff member with a broom to sweep off the patio outside the room. Unless he had a fork lift as well, I am not sure what they thought he was going to accomplish.

We decided to head down to lunch. Lunch on day one in Siete was good- probably the best meal we had the entire week. Following lunch, we went to the bar area just outside Siete. The bar area is raised and there is a step up to the bar. A guest missed the step and fell onto the ground. She remained on the ground for a good twenty seconds. TWO staff members watched it happen and did nothing to assist this woman. A Japanese traveler and I asked her if she needed assistance, which she ultimately declined. But again, not one staff member came to help.

So day one did not shape up well.

On day two, after having to keep the curtains in our room closed all day since various construction people were looking in, my husband decided again to try the front desk (by the way, prior to doing so we were approached by time share staff in the resort indicating that while they were separate from and not really affiliated with the resort, if we bought a timeshare- oh sorry, they call it a "points program"- they could upgrade our room. Really?

Finally someone helpful. Samantha at the front desk was truly gracious and Live Aqua is lucky to have her. She seemed appalled at what had transpired and was eager to assist. She was kind enough to change our room, and a couple of days later sent chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. She was truly the shining star that week and again, we hope they realize what a gem they have in her.

She was the best aspect of the trip. The rundown on the rest is as follows:

Staff- beyond Samantha there were probably only two staff members who were really good, attentive and personable- Jay in Azur and David in Siete. That's it. There was one night in Siete that I literally waited at the table for 20 minutes before anyone showed up for even a beverage order.

Food- my husband thought it was average to above average, I thought it was average at best. The selection was not phenomenal, and the quality, depending upon restaurant, varied dramatically. The most consistent was probably the pastry/coffee shop (sad since most of that was prepackaged)- though Siete was very good for breakfast. We also had very good experiences with room service- though we felt very bad for their staff because there are no room service menus at present- so if you want to order room service, you have to call them and have them recite all of their offerings. That must get really old- so we were sure to tip them well.

The crowning glory (ok, being sarcastic)- on the last night my husband and I ate in MB(we did not eat off property the entire time), and that night both of us became ill. My husband's lasted several days, requiring a trip to the doctor and medication to cure him.

Spa- kind staff, nice atmosphere. Massage was ok.

Bar service- I am not a big drinker. As a result, I can get tipsy after about half a drink. Day two I had FOUR "girl" drinks (pina colada, miami vice etc" and felt nothing. Confirming my husband's statement that the drinks must be watered down.

Noise- I would echo what some previous reviewers said. Bring earplugs as the tile hallways and people returning to their rooms after visiting the clubs is not conducive to a peaceful night's sleep.

In summary, it was ok. We do travel quite a bit and I even said to my husband "maybe we've just been spoiled in the past", but from a service perspective (not including Samantha), amenities, food etc, it simply wasn't a five star stay.

10 Thank KHlovestravel
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the service. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in. We have been recognized by almost all our TripAdvisor reviewers, as one of the hotels with the best staff in Cancun. I regret that service received during your vacation did not live up to the expectations of luxurious and relaxing experience. I can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. I remain at your service if there is ever anything I can do for you in the future.

Alfredo Santamaría
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have stayed in many all-inclusive resorts throughout the Caribbean and take an annual trip with my sister and we were both very happy with live aqua and have no complaints Whatsoever. We are both very particular and typically have many complaints for various reasons when we travel together but have nothing negative to say. To start with, the place is immaculate, the service is excellent, the staff are friendly and they make every effort to accommodate whatever it is that you need or want. If you call the front desk for something they have it to your room in minutes. Any request is immediately attended to whether it's at the pool in the dining room or in the spa. Although there are comments in other reviews about the need for additional restaurants and activities, there are plans to remediate this problem. We did do yoga ,attended cooking classes And learned how to make sushi, cerviche and guacamole Which was fun. We had no problems finding chairs by the pool or on the beach which was beautiful. It was also very nice that there are only adults here: it was not just couples, there were many friends traveling together, other sisters traveling together . There was no out-of-control guests Who drink too much which I have seen in other all-inclusive's where I have traveled to in the past including at the Majestic colonial last year in Punta Cana which in I now feel inclined to write a review on after such a lovely stay here. Again I would highly recommend this resort, if people are really interested in
nighttime activities there is plenty to do in Cancun.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Lkgn
Maryland, United States
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I decided to book this resort to propose to my long time girlfriend. We're 24 years old and look to some degree as if we're still in college, despite having been traveling IT consultants for the last 2 years. We came to the resort for some R&R from the daily grind of work.

We were offered the terrace suite at an upgrade fee from a garden view room of about 65 dollars per night. We took this upgrade as it was cheaper than the daily fee of $80USD for the cabanas per day. The room was your average two room suite in size, however, it contained a very pleasant smelling aromatherapy oil system. The entire resort was outfitted with these little aromatherapy devices, providing a wonderful scent through the entire resort.

My fiancee and I slept very poorly at night due to the mass amount of hallway noise. Despite living in a rather lively apartment building back home, we were constantly bothered by the large amount of noise coming from the hallways and the rooms above/below/next to us. The lack of sound dampening made the resort sound like a very cheap motel 6 at night.

The cabanas and beach were fantastic. Every morning, Martha provided us with an amazing 20 minute foot massage in our cabana. She truly allowed us to relax while laying by the pool. We were served food and drink in a prompt manner whenever we requested. The quality of drinks are what you would expect from an all inclusive. Unless you ask, you're getting Gordon's equivalent rail alcohol which is perfectly acceptable for a resort that easily serves 300 drinks an hour from a single bar. However, if you ask for the good stuff, you'll certainly get it in a quantity you'll enjoy. We drank multiple don julio margaritas in the club lounge which was provided as part of our suite access.

The restaurants were acceptable all inclusive faire. The fillets and sides at MB were certainly mid-quality downtown DC worthy and plated in a manner acceptable at a 5 star establishment. We loved the cream of habanero soup cooked up in their MB kitchen.

The largest knock to this resort is how we were treated by what seemed to be our age. I've spent nights at several high end international hotels and never received such discriminatory service due to my age before. We were often met with sarcasm and a lack of good attitude by service staff, despite treating them with respect and tipping well. This is the reason we won't be returning to Live Aqua, despite the wonderful location, views and other qualities of the resort.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors. The upgrade to a full suite (not an aqua club room) allows you access to...
7 Thank Chris B
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I came here for a week in August and we had a great time. Super relaxing and beautiful. Upon arrival we were greeted with a cool towel and drink and the ambiance of the hotel is similar to a spa, aromatherapy throughout the hotel and very relaxing music. The pool is gorgeous but no swim up bar, the drinks are stiff and the food is the best we've had at an all inclusive. The staff was fantastic and the room service was great. Tipping goes a long way. The beach was beautiful and the activities they had at the hotel although few were entertaining. The gym was great and the café they have next to it is great. One of our favorite places to go in Cancun. The rooms were spacious and come with aromatherapy oils to scent the room, the maid was incredible and honestly the only bad thing I can say about this hotel is no swim up bar. Sushi was great, food was great (even the buffets) and drinks were great, just ask for top shelf. Go, you won't regret it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Darby30
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Incomparable staff, great location, marvelous food, over-the-top service, beautiful public spaces in a gorgeous setting--it's all here. Did I mention the food? The meals at MB are spectacular and the Mexican specialities at Siete absolutely delicious. The breakfast buffet is over the top. I can't say enough about the wonderful service provided by the wait staff where ever we ate. There are no evening activities which made me very happy because noisy partying and dancing would certainly interrupt the mood of relaxation and calm. We would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. We had a fine view of the Caribbean from our 4th floor "ocea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for such a generous and detailed review. I am delighted to read your comments and learn that you have been impressed with our restaurants and especially with our service. I’m very proud of our friendly and efficient staff, so it is fantastic to hear they were able to assist you in making your stay as enjoyable as possible.

We will be looking forward to your next visit to Live Aqua Cancun, do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance in the future.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband and I spent 6 nights at Live Aqua. We were there for our anniversary. What a great experience. The hotel is beautiful, clean and well kept. Although, I did not get any surprise on the exact day of our anniversary, I did get rose petals, champagne and strawberry with chocolates on our second night. The pools are nice, the view spectacular. I got an ocean view room on the second floor and the view was beautiful, at higher levels you can see a full view of the pools, but for me it was enough. The food was great and what was even better was the service. Especial thanks to Patricia at the bar, Alexandro (excellent) and Jesus at MB, Fernando and Jorge at Siete, Aldo at the Sushi, Lady massage, Graziela room cleaning and everyone else that treated us so nice. I did not encounter anyone that treated us without respect, they were always smiling. I know that tips are included, but they deserve it. I can’t wait to return.

Room Tip: not too close to the elevators (too noisy)
2 Thank Karina A