“Exceeded expectations in all phases.”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We took a family vacation Live Aqua with our adult children. We had two standard rooms and one suite.

I was hesitant to try the "all inclusive" route from an earlier negative experience from a few years ago. I can truly say that the hotel and staff exceed our expectations in every way.

We celebrated two birthdays, and the restaurants went out of their way to prepare custom meals and decorated dessert for our family. Thank you to Eduardo, the Restaurant Manager for exceeding our wildest expectations.

We had a cabana everyday, complimentary with our suite, on the level between the eight pools and beach. It was perfect. The service from Louie and MarySol. was over the top. They always made us feel most welcome.

This was definitely one of our best vacations, and I highly recommend it for an exceptional time.

Room Tip: We recommend the suite upgrade. You get access to the fifth floor club and the daily cabana.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kevin A
There are newer reviews for Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just returned from a great, but too short, vacation at the Live Aqua. We stayed at the resort for five days and four nights beginning June 30th.

First off I'm always curious about others so I'm going to let you know that I'm a 50 year old Father and Husband who lives in La Costa, CA. My wife is a school teacher and I'm a Sales Manager for a Technology company. We are very accustomed to beaches as we live a few miles from some of the nicest ones in California. This is our 7th trip to the Cancun/ Riveria Maya region and we actually stayed at the Aqua the week Hurricane Wilma hit Cancun. Can't remember the year but I'm thinking it was 2005 or around there. Anyways we traveled at that time with another family and had five great days until we were forced to evacuate due to the incoming Hurricane. When we stayed the last time it was not an Adults only/ All Inclusive resort as it is now.

To celebrate mine and my friends 50th we decided to return to the Aqua since we really loved it the last time we visited. We were a little nervous about the All Inclusive pricing as I don't generally enjoy the food or drink at those types of resorts. We had traveled once to the Iberostar Del Mar or something like that north of Playa Del Carmen a few years ago and hated the food and drinks. Anyways after reading most of the reviews we decided that since most reviews of breakfast and lunch had been positive we would roll the dice and if we really hated the dinners we would go out of dinner instead. To us the $800 upcharge versus the JW Marriott, our second choice, was a no-brainer as we figured we would spend that on drinks, breakfast and lunch alone. So we booked and hoped for the best.

What we got was probably one of the nicest resorts I have ever stayed at. In a nutshell there was not one thing that really disappointed me. I'm not the easiest person to please but I don't consider myself difficult.

The Service is A+. The whole staff must have been hand-picked and trained very well on how to respond and deal with any customer issues or needs because they are top of anything you ask and they do it with a smile. I really only experienced the beach staff as I don't travel to the Caribbean to sit in a 90 degree pool. Don't get me started but it never ceases to amaze me that most guests spend the majority of their time at the pools and never really go in the ocean. This goes for Maui (where it was way worse as the resorts at Kaanapali have lavish pools complete with slides) Cabo and Cancun, three places we have vacationed in the past year. To me this is mind-blowing especially when you have the whitest sand beaches that aren't hot to your feet and the bluest, clearest and warmest Caribbean sea water right in front of you. Anyways I could go on and on about this but service at the beach was phenomenal. Andres, David, Animeal, Andy and Alexa were the best. They got you whatever you wanted and did it quickly while running throw the sand on hot days never once frowning. These people are so genuine and kind and work so hard for their tips. I don't know what the normal tip rate is but we gave them $20 every morning for servicing our group of four. A couple of times we added a$10 or so at the end of the day.

The beaches are unbelievable. Blue turquoise water and the whitest sand around. And what I love about Cancun is that at the resorts on the east side there does not seem to be any rocks in the water. When we have stayed down the Peninsula there has been rocks in some of the beachs and it makes it hard to jump around. The beach at the Iberostar we stayed at near Maroma was loaded with huge rocks and it made it swimming a treacherous ordeal. The beach at the Aqua is flawless and absolutely stunning. Here is a tip on the Umbrellas and Cabanas. We upgraded to the Concierge level because our package covered some of the cost. As part of the Concierge level you got a free cabana. Since we only went to the beach we used our cabanas the first day but quickly realized when the weather is very hot, the cabanas on the beach turn into saunas. The reason is that they are set against the property wall and don't get much of a breeze as the airflow is blocked by the showers and stairs on both ends. If you want to sit on the beach all day and get the ocean breezes and have a great chair with an umbrella you need to proactive. The umbrellas are free and first come first serve. It's not crazy but if you get out by 9am you should be able to get an umbrella. TIP: Right in front of the AZUL there are four umbrellas set up with chairs. They are usually the last to go because I don't think people realize they are there as they are a good 40 yards from the others.

Food: Loved the breakfast at Siete. Made to order omelets, great mexican breakfast specialities, sliced fruit including papaya, pineapple, watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon. Wonderful way to start your day.

The Sea Corner restaurant is off the hook! Shrimp and Fish Tacos (no problem getting grilled fish instead of battered and deep fried) Octopus tostadas and many other super fresh fish dishes. Really good chips and guacamole are brought to your table to start your lunch. We ate here three of the days. The other day we ate at AZUL and it was really good. Had grilled fish and it was very tasty. Someone else had a sandwich and it was also delicious. The last place we ate lunch was in that little window next to the Azul bar. Every day they make something different like tacos, paella and nachos. We had tacos and they were like the little street tacos we get here in San Diego. Pork, chicken and beef were offered and you could have as many as you wanted Top it with Guac and some Pico De Gallo and you have a tasty lunch.They also had a hot dog cart but never tried it. It seemed very popular so it must of been good? Right?:) Had dinner at Azul and MB and liked them both. Our last night we ate at a nice restaurant in Cancun, Puerto Madero. We never waited more than 10 minutes for a table anywhere we ate.

The Concierge Level was worth it to us because it gave you an upgraded suite with a whole extra living room and full bathroom. You also get a daily cabana but see my comments about the cabanas earlier in this review. The Concierge lounge is ok, but nothing great. The best thing about is that when you are going up to your room from the beach at the end of the day you can grab a snack from the appetizers they have for dinner. The lounge is probably the closet bar to your room for cocktails.

Rooms were really nice. Beds were firm and had a nice thick high-quality cotton comforter that kept you coozy while you slept with the AC blasting. Bathrooms were spacious with a glass shower and a seperate tub. All the floors are tile so it can get a little noisy at night if people are walking the halls. I have read other reviews where people said it was always noisy. If noise bothers you bring some ear plugs, I do and it solves the problem.

Can't wait to go back to the Live Aqua and already making plans to go in 2014!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank diegocat
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. It is a pleasure for me to know that your experience at Live Aqua Cancun exceeded your expectations; our number one priority is to make every guest experience exceptional and unique as it can be, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your staying with us.

It will be an honor to have you as our guest again, please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance in the future.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría

Reviewed August 5, 2013

But it's the little things they miss out on and really should get 4.5 stars. There are some wonderful aspects to this hotel - the all inclusive, the pools, the (mostly) wonderful staff, the location, the beach, the food, awesome super fast wifi, the turndown service - but it's the small attention to detail that make it not quite a 5 star.

This might sound like a list of gripes - we had an amazing week away there for our honeymoon and wouldn't have swapped it for the world but here's a few little things that I hope the management pick up on soon:

the plastic cups used for the beer look two years old
the 'conveyor belt' way the cocktails are made - margaritas out of a plastic tub that looked like it used to have mayonnaise in it
the fact that one lift was out all week, and then a second one went after a storm and didn't get fixed
the tour desk presenting one tour to Chichen Itza and then selling us another inferior tour provider
The 'king size' beds are too short for anyone over 6ft
The aromatherapy stations throughout the hotel CAN get a bit much

But that's us really picking on little details - but it is those little details that make the difference between 4.5 and 5 star ratings. If Live Aqua tightened up on those little things, it would possibly be one of the best hotels we've ever stayed at.

And if you're lucky enough to get served by Aljendra poolside or Jesus in the bar, then make sure you give them a big tip! She's awesome, and Jesus is a Margarita magician.

Room Tip: Definitely get a beach facing room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Simon D

Thank you for taking your time to write your review. All of us at Live Aqua Cancun are truly grateful for the honor you gave us to be a host of such a special time as your honeymoon. We are delighted to know that our restaurants and staff exceeded your expectations.

We really appreciate your constructive criticism and suggestions shared with us, it’s importance is priceless in an effort to provide comfort and relaxing moments to our guests.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in a not to distant future.

Warmest regards,
Alfredo Santamaría

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My boyfriend & I vacationed here 7/21-7/26 2013. The overall atmosphere of this hotel was seriously unbelievable! One thing is for sure, WE will be making a trip back! TripAdvisor mainly helped with our decision to book this hotel because my we enjoyed looking at traveler photos in order to really get an idea of how the hotel really was. But in all honesty, the pictures are beautiful – but photos in general don’t do this hotel justice. Not only was it physically beautiful, the combination of the food & staff really made this vacation unforgettable.

HOTEL: Great location – right across the street from an outdoor mall/market - with an aquarium and souvenir type stores (other than prime retail/restaurants). There is also another mall (indoor) down the road with prime time retail stores. The bargain markets were about 2 miles away. The hotel was also right on the beach – with an AMAZING pool area. We spent most of our visit lounging out at the infinity pool. The pool side service with a bit slow – but worth it once you actually got your drinks/food. Wake up early to resolve your chairs – it fills up quick!! We never paid extra for a sun bed, but probably will next time.

STAFF: SOOOO friendly! We were acknowledged everywhere we went. The staff was really unbelievable- they really tried to make our vacation memorable. We were slightly disappointed we never got a cool rice design on our bed (see other pictures on TripAdvisor), we were really looking forward to it but maybe next time. Our room did come with amazing oil scents and our house keeper did do a good job of always giving us more – we really enjoyed the smell of our room 24/7.

FOOD: ALWAYS AMAZING & FRESH. I am a vegetarian and my boyfriend is 100% Italian (loves to eat). Overall we both really enjoyed the food. We always ordered completely different things. The breakfast buffet at Siete was OUR FAVORITE! From fresh fruits (huge variety: my favorite!) to stuffed French toast (my boyfriend’s fav!) to the create-your-own omelets and crepes to the smoothie bar…the options were endless! We recommend going early because it gets super busy in the late morning. We ate at every restaurant at the hotel and honestly couldn’t settle on a favorite. The sushi bar was even AMAZING - we always went there to get a snack before dinner. But we really enjoyed each restaurant!! I really liked the atmosphere at Azur because you had the option of eating outside on the beach; however the formal-like ambiance at MB (very classy). Everyone raved about the room service – but honestly we did not think it was that over the top, still good though.

SPA: We did the couples massage. It was very affordable compared to the spa prices offered near NYC. It was my boyfriend’s first time and he LOVED it – of course I did as well. You get to do the spa amenities before your massage package so get there early!

We are STILL talking about how much fun we had at Live Aqua. My boyfriend and I are looking to do a holiday trip in the future. We DEF recommend this hotel – especially for couples looking to get away from the “real world”. We also liked the adults only atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
15  Thank Lindsay H
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from Live Aqua for a staff retreat. I cannot brag enough about the staff and the facility. Everyone was waiting and more than willing to meet our every need. The rooms were nice and clean and so was the entire facility. This staff is amazing in every way! My husband was especially impressed with the staff because he left his briefcase outside the coffee shop late one afternoon and didn't realize he didn't have it until the next morning. When he called the reception about it they asked for a description and immediately brought it to the room. Nothing at all was missing...cash, checks, passport, etc! All was there! How many places can you go anywhere in the world and this happen? Our trust of the staff rose 100% after this event! I worked with 3H Travel in Marietta, GA who did a great job of making sure all of our arrangements were taken care of including our ground transportation arrangements with International Incentives Travel DMC which was spot on with all of our group arriving on different days at different times. Our group contact person at Live Aqua was Monica Salas. She did everything she possibly could to make our event a success and it certainly was. Jonathan, the manager in the Azur restaurant , was also a pleasure to work with and prepared the most delicious meals for our group! Lorena helped with all of our outside activities and she was a great delight. Our staff men were busy a lot of the time with meetings but us ladies had lots of free time to enjoy the beautiful beach and great pools. This was our second stay there and we can't wait to go back in October. Great place for a romantic get away for couples and a wonderful place for a staff retreat/meetings! Call Hollie Hixson at 3H Travel in Marietta, GA for great advice and great prices to travel to Live Aqua!

Room Tip: Rooms over and near the restaurants and bars are noisy. Higher rooms are definitely more quiet. Sui...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank shepherdshill
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at the Live Aqua for a little over two weeks. The resort is spectacular! The pools are absolutely beautiful and well maintained. In fact the entire resort gets a five plus star for cleanliness. The view from the pool overlooking the ocean makes you want to just relax there all day! The beach...white sand...tons of fun! The food...wow...incredible. The head chef, Eric De Maeyer would accomodate any request! He would prepare anything that you felt was lacking. All the recipes are well thought out and food throughout the resort is super delicious!!! The coffee bar is a nice touch for those who have a caffeine addiction and want to grab a quick sandwich or desert. The staff is AMAZING!! Yadira and Violetta were fantastic servers. By far the best service we have received of any hotel stayed at, and we have travelled a LOT! Rooms were spacious..get a ocean view!!! This is simply one classy resort that I would not hesitate to recommend. I don't think there is a better resort around! We hope to return soon. Thanks to all the people who made our holiday the best ever!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Izzonator
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Live Aqua from July 22-26. It was our first time in Cancun, and our Honeymoon. I was a amazing first visit. From the moment we stepped off the shuttle the staff was amazing and it continued throughout the trip. Of course we thought yeah walking in they would spoil us and then it would be like any regular hotel stay, but boy were we wrong. Every hotel employee that we encountered during the entire trip always asked, how are you today, how is your stay, is there anything else I can do to help you!! The spa was wonderful, we took advantage of the couples massage and really enjoyed it. The food was great, I think MB, and Azur were my favorite, but Siete was good also. Even the room service had a good menu, and we never waited longer than 15 minutes to get our food, no matter what time we ordered it. All of the bars were great but Jeovani, Tino, and Patricia spoiled us at the AkA bar. Aqua is in a great location, right across from the mall, so you dont have to venture out far to do your shoping, movies, of some different dining if you choose. We are making plans to do another trip next year, and we will definately be visiting Live Aqua again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple