“Heaven at the Live Aqua”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 176 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I start with the fact that I love Cancun and that we spend 5 weeks a year there. The Aqua gives us everything we could wish for. An absolutely beautiful hotel filled with people dedicated to making every guest feel at home. From the hotel manager to the maids who clean your room your every concern is addressed. We are especially impressed with the restaurants. The Siete, Azure and especially the MB are all that you could ask for. It was always my belief that if you were looking for fine dining it was not to be found in a hotel restaurant, the MB is the exception. If you are looking for an especially fine dinner, dine at the MB.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the 5th floor.
3  Thank Fiddler1234
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for sharing your review of Live Aqua Cancun. We're happy to hear we exceeded your expectations and we were able to provide a fantastic stay for you. I am sure that your feedback will serve as an encouragement to our team as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you for your recommendations, we are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

There are newer reviews for Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Visited from June 8th to June 15th 2013. I can say it's the best vacation we ever had. From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, unbelievable service. Best staff we've encountered any where in the world. Consistently excellent service. No matter what you request, they always find a way to accomodate. MB food was fantastic. Other restaurants were good. Rooms excellent. Beds excellent. Pool area amazing. Staff were constantly cleaning everything. Opening the fire extinguishers in the wall cases and dusting and cleaning. Cleaning down pool side tables and chairs. Alejandro in MB served us two nights. Excellent. Luis O. and Luis day time in Siete, excellent. David in Siete, beyond excellent. I'm 60 years old and have traveled extensively. My best vacation ever. Thank you Live Aqua. We will be back again. Paradise!!

Room Tip: Ultimate Service and Luxury.
4  Thank PhilipLosAng
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel is all about relaxation, not a party spot. We were there from Mon/10-Fri/14. From the tea and hand massage when you check-in, to the aromatherapy throughout the hotel, down to lighting it's all designed to get you relaxed. We did get the sales pitch, but only once at check-in, opted out and that was it. The staff was great, and lots of staff they have, they seem genuine in there approach.
The restaurants were all good,our favorite was MB and Azur. Like the breakfast at Siete just wish it was hotter, cold eggs and meat, not a way to start the day. On our last day, thank God! Not the begining of our trip, we ate at the Sea Corner restaurant, and ate the ceviche,guacamole, fried shrimp tacos.From the day we left for home and the last three days we have been to the emergency room and our regular physician for food poisoning. So be careful of this one, thinking back it is located outside, even the prep station is outside, next to the swim up pool/bar. We would definitely go back, just be more cautious of what to eat.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank mrmine2

Thank you very much for such a positive review, especially for your kind comments about the great service provided by our staff, it's a true pleasure to know that your overall experience with us was enjoyable and met your expectations. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day.

Regarding the food poisoning and after having thoroughly investigated the matter with all the concerned department heads and Executive Chefs, I have come to learn that we do not have any other similar report concerning our guests within the duration of your stay. We are committed to serving food and beverages that adheres to the highest standards of food hygiene and safety. The hotel runs a "food safety management program" that is subject to constant internal and external audits.

Thank you again for your valuable review and recommendations, please feel free to contact us for any assistance in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

my family just returned from 4 day vacation at Live Aqua and it was the best ever vacation we had! excellent place, excellent food but above all else, wonderful and courteous staff. can't wait to be back soon !!!

Room Tip: the views are blocked from mezzanine level
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank glndyn
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just came back from a one week stay at Live Aqua. Like many other reviewers and guests, I've done extensive research to ensure that I picked the best hotel that fits my budget and goals for my first Cancun vacation. I read the Trip Advisor reviews from the top 5 hotels in Cancun for 4 months. Yes, that long. About a month or so before my trip, I was somewhat hesitant of staying at Live Aqua because there were some negative reviews that were posted. I decided to move forward with my reservation because hoping that the negative reviews are from people that are hard to please or cannot be pleased at all. I am very happy to say that Live Aqua lived up to my high expectations. I say high expectations because of this hotel's high Trip Advisor ranking (2nd or 3rd out of 170 hotels in Cancun) and my experience as a traveler (15 years of frequent business and personal trips to multiple countries).

There are thousands of reviews that sum up the hotel experience - very friendly staff, very good customer service throughout the resort, beautiful beach, aromatherapy, very good food, nice room, nice pools, weak drinks but you can always ask for double or triple, clean property, etc. All of those are true, so I will not repeat what has been said. Instead, I will list the tips that I have been putting together in my head the entire time I was at Live Aqua for the purpose of helping researchers like me when they read this review. Here goes:

Should you book this hotel? - Definitely! All the positive reviews are true. Ignore the negative reviews.

Which room to book? - If it's within your budget, book a suite. I recommend the Aqua Suite. It's large (1200+ sq ft), it comes with a daily cabana (worth $80/day if you pay for it) and 20 minute massage (this can be split to two 10-min session between couple).

Cabana info - If you like louder music and somewhat of a party scene, reserve cabanas 27, 28, or 29. If you enjoy looking at the beach, there are lots of cabanas facing the beach. If you like beach view and close to the restroom and hear some music, cabanas 25 and 26 will work for you. Cabanas 23 and 24 in my opinion are the best because they have view of the beach, main pool, close enough to restrooms, hotel, etc. (they are centrally location and I was told by the staff that these two are the most popular). Note, you can only reserve the cabana 1 day in advance. The pool concierge station opens at 7am. Go there a little before 7am and you will get the cabana of your choice.

What To Bring: imodium, pepto bismol, sunscreen (a $10 bottle in the US costs $40 at the giftshop!!!), sun tan lotion, Off mosquito spray (you will need it when you dine at Hidden Garden or sit outside at night), Tylenol/Advil, Aloe, small waterproof wallet (you can use this to put your tipping dollar bills in your pocket so that you can still tip the staff when you order drinks while in the pool), waterproof camera (I can't count how many times I was in the pool or beach and wished I had a camera to take pics)

Tip or Not to Tip: DEFINITELY TIP! To give you an idea, on average I tipped $35/day for housekeeping, turn down service, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks (hotdog stand, paella, cafe), drinks (at the pool, bars, and Aqua Lounge). Please please tip the staff. Someone said that if you can afford a $300-$500/night to stay here, what's another $30+/day for tips?

Food/Restaurant Info:
Siete - ask to be seated with Fernando. He is the best! Then, ask him for Big Foot Breakfast, Special Fajita, or make something special for you. You will not be disappointed.

Azur - Gotta try the Flank Steak, Tequilla Calamari

MB - Definitely the Habanero Soup. I was not impressed with the filet mignon - it was a bit chewy. They have small portions, so don't be shy to order multiple main entrees.

Paella - this is not served daily. They only have it twice a week (Tuesday and Friday - I think). They start serving at 1:00pm.

Swing Bar and Aka Bar - ask Jesus to make you his Jesus Margarita. :)

Sea Corner - seafood taco and ceviche

Room Service - if you order the filet, do not order Medium because it will be delivered rare or mooing. LOL. I asked for well done after I got a rare steak and it was still tender. Order as much food as you can finish. They don't care.

Special thanks to the following staff for taking care of us during our stay at Live Aqua:
Siete: Fernando, Ramon
Pool: Julio, Martha, Asthrid
AKA and Swing Bar - Jesus
Swim Up Bar - Elias, Jeovani
MB / Azur - Mario, Alfredo
Aqua Lounge - Isabela, Maria Josie
Foot Massage - Noemi, Stephani, Alix,
Front Desk - Valeria

Summary: I enjoyed my stay at Live Aqua and I will definitely be back. I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys relaxing vacation and great customer service.

1  Thank pinoygolferaz
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here about a month ago, and I haven't had a chance to write a review yet. This resort was the best we have stayed at in Mexico. The facility is amazing, and the food is top notch. The friendly staff is one of the best parts of this stay though. Fernando, Nancy, and countless others made this stay amazing. The staff went above and beyond for us on a regular basis. My wife and I can't wait to book our next stay at Live Aqua! This place really was amazing.
I can't say enough good things.. It was a smaller resort, compared to others that we stayed at. The size of the resort was perfect, not too big and not too small. The fish tacos at the café on the beach are amazing!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the elevators, as the sound does travel in the hallways. The beach view...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank adammerrill
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 5 Days at Live Aqua (June 8th to 12th). We had a wonderful time. We arrived to the hotel a few hours before the 3pm check-in and our room was not ready yet. The resort was pretty full so they were not able to put us in another room. I think because of that they also did not try to sell us an upgrade. We had an Ocean View room on the 2nd floor with a King Bed but right off the elevators. The room was very nice, but I wish we would have been able to upgrade to a suite. I heard from others guests they were able to and you got one of the cabana beds by the pool included with that. Basically the cost of the upgrade for the bigger room vs. what you pay a day ($80) for the cabana cancelled each other out. At check-in we did get our complementary hand massage which is their way to sell you their Vacation club. We declined and it was no issue. They didn’t try to push us on it.

The food at the Sea Corner taco stand tucked away by the swim up bar pool was great. We had “Animal” the first day and he was a terrific server the rest of our stay. In fact all of the servers were fantastic! A few of our favorites around the pool were Astrid (Ashtray), Marta, “Animal”, as well as Alejandra. Basically after the first day – they remembered us by name and what we liked to drink.

The resort was initially pretty full when we arrived but by the 2nd day a conference had cleared out and we were probably only at 50% capacity so no issues getting chairs by the pool or beach or getting Food during the day/night. We really like the Sushi stand and the Hidden Garden Restaurant, but overall the food at all the restaurants was very good. No complaints.

Overall – the property was very clean, the pools were great and heated/cooled different temperatures. The Gym was very nicely equipment with plenty of treadmills, free weights and machines. The Service was Fantastic at both the resort and the Spa.

I think that we would definitely visit again, but next time around request a room on a higher floor and away from the elevators. Thankfully again the resort was not full, but I would imagine it would be VERY loud being in the room we were in. You could hear the service folks and people walking and talking to and from their room to the elevators.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Suite. for the cost of the upgrade you'll get a larger room with a Cabana included...
8  Thank sznwds

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. It is a pleasure for me to know that your experience at Live Aqua Cancun exceeded your expectations; our number one priority is to make every guest experience exceptional and unique as it can be, thank you for letting us know how memorable and special was your staying with us.

It will be an honor to have you as our guest again, please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any assistance for your next stay.