“Five Star Experience (with a few reservations)”

Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun
Ranked #4 of 177 Hotels in Cancun
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 29, 2013

What an incredible vacation! In a nutshell, the service at this resort was extraordinary. There are a few suggestions that would make the experience better, but not enough to subtract a star.

Of course, the most significant thing about Live (rhymes with Give, but everyone off the resort rhymes it with Drive) Aqua is the aromatherapy. It is present everywhere indoors, including the rooms, and I personally enjoyed it. There is an oil warmer in every room, and they provide little bottles of different scents for you to experiment.

Directly after check-in, we received a lovely hand massage. Once we were sufficiently relaxed, unfortunately, we were approached by another lady who gave a very strong time share sales pitch. Being polite was insufficient, and it was uncomfortable to have to repeatedly say no 10 minutes into our vacation. I understand that's how they make money, but it was a definite turn-off. I've been on other resorts where they did the obligatory pitch, but they understood to back off after the first no thank you.

As mentioned, the service was amazing. After arriving, we got lost trying to find a restaurant for lunch. We approached one man in a black chef uniform with the name tag Eric and asked him where we could get lunch. He not only escorted us to a fantastic seafood lunch place, but he gave us a tour of the resort along the way and introduced us to chefs at other restaurants. It was only later that we learned that random chef Eric was actually the award winning celebrity chef Eric! The fact that he took time out of his schedule to give us a personal tour was incredible. In addition, he sought us out several times during our days though to provide us with specialty (not on the menu) dishes, make sure we were enjoying ourselves, etc. In addition to this personal service, everyone we met was so friendly and helpful. Wonderful!!

The food was incredible. We ended up eating at MB most nights. The habanero soup was delish, as were the injected salmon and citrus chicken. We also really enjoyed the seafood place in the left corner of the resort by the beach - fresh seafood tacos - yum.

There are no towel cards or limit to the number of towels you can request, as we have experienced on other resorts, which is a good and bad thing. Very convenient, but the problem was that everyone was wake up at the crack of dawn to reserve all the pool and beach chairs. It was fairly frustrating trying to find free chairs after breakfast (and seeing all these "reserved" chairs that were never claimed throughout the whole day).

The rooms are fantastic - much more upscale and comfortable than our previous experiences with Cancun all inclusive resorts. The bed was pillowtop soft, there were pillows of varying thicknesses, a large bathroom with a large glass shower stall and bath tub, and a wide balcony. There are plenty of hangers but limited drawers. There is a safe in the room, and amenities include a weight scale, hairdryer (not attached to the wall), flipflops and loaner beach bag.

There is free wi-fi but we did run into some connection problems in the room and in some spots on the beach and lower levels of the hotel.

The elevators were often slow (or maybe there were a lot of people taking them?) so we ended up using the stairs about 70% of the time.

Other than these minor details (the most strong negative being the sales pitch), we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would not hesitate to return!!

2  Thank ssettless
Write a ReviewReviews (9,611)

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We visited Live Aqua with a group of friends in early March and the resort, while very nice and clean, left something to be desired. We have stayed in four and five star resorts in Mexico in the past and this one just didn't live up to our expectations for this price point.

Top 3 positives:
1. I loved the little coffee shop - you could grab coffee at nearly all hours of the day made fresh to order. It felt like our own personal Starbucks. Typically at all-inclusive places you have to go to a restaurant to order coffee so this was a unique value added.
2. The grounds were beautiful - the pools were quite nice to look at and the vegetation surrounding the hotel was well-groomed. We had a room on the 9th floor and the views were gorgeous.
3. The staff was very friendly.

Top 3 negatives:
1. The service was extremely slow. Maybe it was because we were there during a very busy spell, but we frequently waited up to 15-20 minutes for drinks. It was hard to find service at the pools, and even at the bars it took forever.
2. There was a long wait for the restaurants. The restaurant with the shortest wait time was buffet style, which is fine for one night, but frustrating that we ended up going there almost every night due to the wait time at other restaurants. Azur is the most popular restaurant and we waited for two and a half hours one night to eat there. We almost gave up, as everyone in our party was getting "hangry" (angry from hunger) while waiting at the bar.
3. The heater in the pools and hot tub was broken almost the entire time we were there. SUPER annoying. The weather was pretty poor - we unluckily ended up there during a cold front and it rained most of the day. When it wasn't raining there was a chill in the air that made it uncomfortable to lounge in a swimsuit, which is what we really wanted to do. The first day we combatted the cold by sitting in the outdoor hot tub and pools, as they were both heated to a nice comfortable temperature. By the second day the pools and hot tub were freeeeezing. They stayed cold the remainder of our trip. Bad weather is not the hotel's fault, but I was very upset that they did not fix the heaters during the remaining 4 days we were there. That is just unacceptable for a 4.5 star hotel, particularly given how much we paid for the room. I feel that with the pools and hot tub basically out of commission there is no way we should have paid full price.

Maybe if you get a really good rate or if you are there during a really slow time or if you have very low expectations, this could be the place for you. But we have stayed at much nicer places that were either comparable in price, or even cheaper (try the Excellence Mexico properties - Playa Mujeres or Riviera Maya are both fantastic). Three stars is super generous in my opinion.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amy P
ManagerAQCU, General Manager at Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the service. More than any other aspect of our business it is our service we take great pride in. We have been recognized by almost all our TripAdvisor followers, as one of the hotels with the best staff in Cancun. I regret that service received during your vacation did not live up to the expectations of luxurious and relaxing experience. I can assure you that every constructive criticism you’ve shared with us has been taken very seriously by our team in order to keep standards, expected by our guests on the highest level, ensuring your satisfaction.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally make sure your next visit with us will be without any incidents.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I also was part of the large group of around 150 who travelled to Cancun on our annual trip.
Beach, staff and weather could not be faulted, however this resort is not definitely not worthy of 5 star rating.
Sunbeds not available unless you get up and reserve with towels at daybreak. Nowhere near enough sunshades. Overpowering smell of aromatherapy oils in lobbies and public areas.
Noisy marble floors in corridor outside room, woken by rattling trollies, loud staff and shrieking guests who couldn't handle drink clattering home.
Food portions very small apart from self service restaurant. Varied on different days, some good then same dish a few days later would be cold when it reached the table.
A delightful coffee shop on pool level serving delicious lattes,etc but the cakes and pastries were all on display on stands with no covers. Basic hygiene surely?
There was absolutely no entertainment for the evening, glad only there for one week.
I had doubts about the hygiene standards, particularly after catching sight of the glass washing facilities behind the Ergo bar. My fears were confirmed when quite a few of our group went down with suspected dysentry, some needing injections and being confined to their rooms for up to 3 or 4 days.
Room turn down service was random. This hotel has a certain something missing, not sure what but they need to take a wider look.
Have stayed at many holiday locations over the years but would not return to this one.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank OxfordLola

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations, one of our main objectives is the satisfaction of our guests with the quality on the food and the drinks. I was very much concerned by your review and disappointments you faced during your stay with us. At Live Aqua Cancun we have a food and beverage safety management system and our staff are trained on food safety practices. It is our goal to maintain the highest standards for all our guests and we always make sure that the food and the drinks is served according to the highest standards of hygiene.

I will truly appreciate if you could contact me with any further comment, which we will certainly use in order to make changes for better and ensure that every guest has the most satisfactory experience, based on fulfilled desires and excellent service.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 night stay at the Live Aqua resort in the Cancun. I don't usually write reviews but we had such a good time that the hotel and their staff deserve full credit for making our stay so enjoyable. The quality of the hotel and the facilities are first class but the difference is provided by the staff. They clearly enjoy working there and this is reflects in the service they provide. Always smiling and happy to help. In particular, the quality of the food is second to none - thanks to Eric De Maejer and his team. The chef and his team walking around to greet and speak to guests is an appreciated personal touch - even the recipies turned up in my email box as promised. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel if you are looking for quality, comfort, amazing food and brilliant service. Kim Hampshire

Room Tip: From what I could tell, all are good.
1  Thank KimbleH
Reviewed April 28, 2013

It's been a month since we returned from Cancun and from our 7 day stay at Live Aqua Cancun. It was all-in-all another wonderful escape from the New England Winter organized by the fabulous team at TripGuy, especially Mark, who always looks after us!

I wasn't sure exactly how to write this review, because as a sum of all of its parts Live Aqua is perfectly good... great even. The food and drink quality and choice are both very good for an All-Inclusive, the pool is genuinely spectacular, the location on the beach is excellent, the rooms are well-appointed with wonderful views and the service (generally) is above par.

But, compared to any of the hotels i have given 5 TripAdvisor stars to, including other All Inclusives in Mexico/Caribbean (see all my other reviews) there was really no way i could give this a 5. It has no X-Factor. There was no category where the hotel could be charitably seen as going 'above-and-beyond.' It was in every sense of the word 'adequately' perfect in every category, but somehow still short of a truly transcendent vacation experience.

The only exception being the pool. This is by far the most enchanting pool we have seen in Mexico, and is definitely worth seeing (and swimming in) if you want to be instantly transported to an infinite sea of relaxation.

Some practical thoughts. We started our trip on the third floor, which we thought would be too low for a great view, but actually provided more than enough height to have sweeping views of the pool and ocean. After a mix-up with our room keys, followed by a broken door-lock that resulted in us being locked out, the hotel offered us a room on the 5th floor and complimentary Aqua Club access. The view was even more excellent, but the room is precisely the same layout as the non-Club rooms and the 'Lounge' is really not worth the upgrade if you are thinking of paying for it.

MB restaurant is definitely the pick of them, and although the buffet is great and both the beach restaurants are wonderful lunch options, for dinner, it's basically MB or room service... which brings me to the pleasant surprise: Room Service. In a word, it's "wonderful." So often room service at All-Inclusives is an afterthought with a limited menu of 'American' dining options. Not so at live Aqua, there is a very extensive menu 24 hours a day, and everything we ordered (and we ordered as lot) was wonderful, hot and arrived almost immediately when we were told it would.

One specific problem was actually our second negative experience with Lomas Travel (the Mexican affiliate of FunJet, who handles transfers and tours for Funjet Customers). In both of our last two trips to Mexico we have got very poor service and tour-options from Lomas... not really something to do with the hotel, but something to be aware of traveling through Mexico.

Bottom Line: If you are looking for an All Inclusive in Cancun, and Live Aqua suits your price point (it can be surprisingly affordable and has good price specials on occasion), then i would definitely recommend it, and recommend booking through Mark at TripGuy. However if you are looking for a really individualized and special hotel experience, and you are willing to spend a little bit more, i think there are other options out there for you to look into.

Room Tip: Anywhere on the facade of the hotel will have a good view, the higher the better, but Club Access is...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AbsolutelyNoBorders

Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review, your feedback is very important for us and it is my regret that we were not able to meet your expectations. Although many travelers find Live Aqua Cancun to be a great place for romantic and relaxing getaway, I do understand that the concept of our hotel does not suit your kind of lifestyle.

Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your vacation with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable.

Should you consider Live Aqua Cancun for your vacations in the future, do not hesitate to contact me for any pre-arrival arrangements, we would be very honored to have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Live Aqua or Le Blanc that seems to be the question......and here is my opinion.

I just came back from a 4 night stay at Live Aqua from April 22nd to April 26th. And I stayed at Le Blanc two years ago. To stay at Le Blanc will probably cost you $1,000 dollars more per 4 night stay. The standard rooms at Le Blanc are nicer, but some have a lagoon view. All rooms at Live Aqua face the ocean and some have a garden view. The age group at Live Aqua is a younger crowd, (25-40), while the age group at Le Blanc is an older group (45-65). The food at Live Aqua is better, with the varity of restaurants between the two resorts about the same. Activities and nightlife options would also be about the same. So with this information, hopefully you will be able to form your answer.

Now on to my stay at Live Aqua..................................I had been to Cancun once before, and after reading the reviews decided to take a chance on Live Aqua. What also enticed me to choose this resort was the good deal I got when I booked my trip back in early December. I won't go into very detail because most are covered in the other reviews.

Room - I stayed in a Deluxe Ocean Front room on the 4th floor. The ocean view was incredible.

Food - Ate at Siete, MB, Sea Corner, Sushi Station, Cafe & Deli, and ordered room service for breakfast a couple times. All restaurants are very good to excellent. Didn't have one bad meal. And service was very attentive.

Beach/Pool - Towel game is in full effect. Early bird catches the worm. Chairs are always available on the beach but not at the pool. Cabanas are available for $80.00.

Staff - All very friendly and helpful. I can't remember everyones name, but here are a few. Ricardo at the coffee shop, Rolando at Siete, and the young lady at the Sushi Station.

I enjoyed my stay at Live Aqua and would have no problem recommending it to anyone. I would definitely go back.

Helpful Tips: Cancun and Live Aqua related

The sun is very strong and most people had some kind of sunburn. Bring sun block, Aloe Vera and a hat.

I don't have the strongest stomach so I took Culturelle twice a day. Also had Pepto on stand-by. Happy to report that I didn't get sick once.

MB - The gourmet restaurant at Live Aqua. If you get there before 7:00pm you probably won't have to wait for a table.

Coffee Shop - Excellant ham and cheese croissant. Good for taking down to the beach or up to the room for a snack.

Please feel free to e-mail me with any other questions.

5  Thank lasvegasfreeway

Thank you for speaking so highly of our service and the quality of experience we offer to our guests, we are completely honored to receive such a positive feedback and read that your first visit to Live Aqua Cancun was enjoyable and exceeded your expectations. I was most happy to read of your kind comments regarding the service you received from our staff, which is the greatest and most important element of our resort. It was a pleasure for us, make your stay so memorable, as we always try to impress our guests with our excellent service, food choices, comfort of rooms and serenity of the environment.

Thank you so much for your kind words and recommendations for future travelers, we are looking forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Do not hesitate to contact us for any pre-arrival arrangement.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Being from the Hospitatlity Industry I was pleasantly overwhelmed by the professional staff and service provided by the employees of Live Aqua Cancun. Truly outstanding service! They had a way of making you feel your needs were at a beckoning (True Hospitality).
Special Kudos to Chef Ejecutivo - Eric De Maeyer and his staff Luis, Alfredo Dzul, Angel, Ramon, Fernando, and Oscar.
They captured the Taste and Warmth of Mexico in their cusine and service!
Live Aqua will always hold a truly Memorable Experience and, it will be at the top of my list of recommend destinations of in Cancun Mexico.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business